Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 3:48 PM
Default Questions About Copyrighted Music
I'm planning on making let's play videos of The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories soon, but I'm worried about YouTube giving me copyright strikes for the in-game music. I'm going to mute all the music that's credited to real world artists, but is that good enough? Am I allowed to include the game's purely original music and songs that don't seem to have credits, or is that too risky? How can I find out who owns the copyright for certain songs and go about asking for permission to use them?
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PhilosophicalDebate
I'm planning on making let's play videos of The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories soon, but I'm worried about YouTube giving me copyright strikes for the in-game music. I'm going to mute all the music that's credited to real world artists, but is that good enough? Am I allowed to include the game's purely original music and songs that don't seem to have credits, or is that too risky? How can I find out who owns the copyright for certain songs and go about asking for permission to use them?

They shouldn't strike you for the game's original music.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2021 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
They shouldn't strike you for the game's original music.

I think I read that a game's publisher or developer usually doesn't own the copyright for the in-game music. It's owned by the individual artists or by third-party groups or record labels, so even if EA is okay with let's play videos of their games, the music would be outside their jurisdiction. Is this correct, or am I just worrying over nothing?