Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 5:04 PM
One of the reasons some companies aren't so vocal about updates and addons is because things can be dropped or changed, things can be promised and never actually appear in the game.

More broken promises means more backlash and shorter game lifespan. Sometimes it is better to say nothing rather than make someone mad.
Advertisement
Scholar
#177 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KLTboy
When Grant Rodiek stated that if the Sims 4 doesn't do well there won't be a Sims 5...

I've often wondered about this statement. What if that's what Grant's boss said to him..?
Alchemist
#178 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
I've often wondered about this statement. What if that's what Grant's boss said to him..?

That's just something they are saying, the cow is still able to get milked some more by EA in their eyes.
Theorist
#179 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:18 PM
Very interesting contribution to this thread!

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine shortly after making this post, and she too stated that EA is no longer as interested in simulation games as they once were. Gaming in general has changed. Graphics are more in-tense, and a lot of gamers want to be fully immersed in games now-a-days. Now that's kind of an oxymoron for us Sims players, because a lot of us are just as immersed in our Sims as this new generation of gamers is.

I think one of the biggest 'problems' with the Sims is that the community has already reached its limit. Sure EA has reached a new generation of players with the Sims 4, but has the growth been significant enough for them to continue putting the same resources into it as previous generations? I guess we will see as time goes on.

When Grant Rodiek stated that if the Sims 4 doesn't do well there won't be a Sims 5, a lot of us freaked out and naturally/rightfully so. What is 'well' in the eyes of EA? Has it been doing well enough so far? When Rachel Franklin posted the article about the removal of toddlers/pools back in Summer 2014, she stated that there wasn't enough time to focus/complete toddlers prior to the release of the game. Well you'd think that if the game was performing well in terms of sales, that they would be out by now... or is it just not that simple?

At first, sales were not what they expected (this info is from late July Stockholder meeting). Sales picked up though (probably due to Zerbu's Get to School mod, lol). Time will tell if things continue to sell well. I don't think we'll see toddlers or weather or pets, for that matter, because they're not willing to spend any more money than the bare minimum. If sales take off big time, then maybe, but I'm not optimistic. I know I've stopped buying any more content because the game has too many omissions and bugs. I don't enjoy playing it. I'll reassess that if they start making more improvements.

This may be why they're mostly silent; they don't know if they're going to be able to continue making content or not - as that might depend on hitting specific sales targets.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Instructor
#180 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
I pretty much came to this conclusion a long time ago. Just look at EA's SimCity game. It's now a mobile app called SimCity BuildIt! Running TS4 as a "live service" is something they do with mobile games, too, and I suspect that was in the plan back when the game was Olympus. In fact, I think TS4 is nothing more than an offline, single player Olympus game with some various age stages shoehorned in (except for kids, that's the only stage they actually worked on - too bad that so far they haven't add anything else for that age to do). They sure haven't shown any willingness to invest in the game and give it the financial resources it needs to become a better game.

I really don't think EA is interested in creating simulation games for the PC any more. They want to cash in on mobile games, because they're far cheaper to make and yet they have the potential to make big profits. I agree that if the life sim has a future at all, it's going to be with some other developer.

The thing is, The Sims 4 unfortunately has no passion. Rachel is a hypocritical woman who says all these things because Marketing. "A strong foundation for the best Sims game ever.". Riiiiight. That explains why there's so many dead/scrapped content intended for online gameplay, and the game is technically underwhelming (Seriously. 32 bit in this day and age on such a large title? No open world? Dumbed down game mechanics? ). That was the first sign for me that The Sims 4's future is doubtful and that it's really just a bomb waiting to go off.

I appreciate the things they do put hard work in, but... It's not a lot. It's mainly EA's marketing that makes me furious. Like with the latest stuff pack. "ICE CREAM!!!!!" is what everyone screams because the pack has literally nothing else to offer. No specific styles of furniture or clothing. Just generic crap. I honestly can not believe how people go "omg thank you EA!". It's a pathetic attempt to grab the cash of more, unforgiving, dumb souls. Off-topic aside, I'd still love to see a different developer taking on a similar game. Man I'd just love to see EA's face if such a game were to sell twice as much only with a "base-game". The big boys are dying. It's just a matter of time!

If EA really wants to cash in on mobile games that badly, they should just make the call and move, and stop leading us on with their evil, pathetically cheap marketing scheme. That's a big part of the issue!

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Mad Poster
#181 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:27 PM
I took the statement about there not being a Sims 5 if Sims 4 didn't do well as more of an statement about business than a threat. I think Grant just didn't express it very well. No company will continue very long with a series that doesn't produce money. One would hope, however, that since the series has been so successful in the past, that EA would be willing to continue even if the current game did not do well.

Of course, that is not a reason to buy a game. I've heard some people express the thought that the fans should "support" EA or the Sims series. I don't agree with that. EA does not need our "support", but only our patronage which we should only give if we want their product.
Scholar
#182 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 7:41 PM
Why are there people so snobbish in this thread? The holier than thou attitude is as obvious as a ginormous pink elephant in the middle of the room. It's like people have to hide behind their own sense of decency to express opinions that are veiled as "Respectfully". Um...no, you're not trying respectfully...you're just aiming to infer something rude and masking it as a empathy. The op is just stating his insights, which was intelligent and seemingly not insane, it doesn't mean he isn't optimistic. The guy is probably reluctantly optimistic if anything.

Just say what you want to say, stop hiding behind inferences.
Scholar
#183 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Why are there people so snobbish in this thread? The holier than thou attitude is as obvious as a ginormous pink elephant in the middle of the room. It's like people have to hide behind their own sense of decency to express opinions that are veiled as "Respectfully". Um...no, you're not trying respectfully...you're just aiming to infer something rude and masking it as a empathy. The op is just stating his insights, which was intelligent and seemingly not insane, it doesn't mean he isn't optimistic. The guy is probably reluctantly optimistic if anything.

Just say what you want to say, stop hiding behind inferences.

I'm sorry you interpreted it that way, it was not my intent. ... No wait. Let me just say what I mean. Not sorry. Your misinterpretation.
Test Subject
#184 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 9:02 PM
EA marketing.... is like most marketing departments, only, they don't quite do research as thoroughly as they should, or for that matter, neither does some levels of the management departments either.

SWTOR: Has not had a truly major story content update focused on the classes yet, what has come out has been piecemeal at best..

The above game is EA's second venture into space/ scifi mmo, which, likely due alot to the name of Star Wars, has been fairly popular...

Earth and Beyond: EA's very first venture into space and scifi mmos crashed and burned nearly from the release date. Marketing failed and management failed this one...

For the Sims, Its not surprising that TS4 isn't performing to Marketing/management expectations, but as far as being at fault for the lack of sales, its purely the management department. Or that's my feeling anyway. No one can really know how close EA is to the proverbial "cliff" as far as remaining US based instead of off shore somewhere, but they need to take a look at their recent past as far as decision making regarding game development pre-release and do serious audit in that aspect, because otherwise, they will end up going offshore sooner or later.

I'm not against EA, its just that they've made some bad choices which imo should be looked at and options reconsidered for the future. If they want to remain where they are.
Field Researcher
#185 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 9:28 PM Last edited by Silly Merricat : 23rd Aug 2015 at 9:45 PM.
SWTOR's problems lie entirely on Bioware, not EA. When EA bought bioware they basically allowed those studios free reign on their projects. It was Bioware who didn't understand what drives most MMO players (not story) as well as underestimating how resistant story driven CRPG players would be to trying an MMO (the most single player MMO in perhaps... ever). EA only stepped in and changed direction of that game after the shit hit the fan and players left in droves.

Have they had any major class story updates since then? No. And you know why? Because players voted with their wallets, canceled their subs, and showed EA that the majority of them weren't willing to pay a sub and wait a reasonable amount of time to get story content. It had nothing to do with marketing. And guess what? The game is making a steady profit now. So while I'm one of those who was devastated about the destruction and devolution of that game into becoming a grindy shell of how amazing it could have been, EA made absolutely the right business decision since they're a business, pure and simple, and not a charity for wayward gaming nerds.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#186 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 10:41 PM
Merging with existing thread. See note in first post.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#187 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Merging with existing thread. See note in first post.

I am kind of confused as to why my thread was merged into this one. My post had nothing to do with which game was better. My post was simply reviewing what's been said about Sims 4 by Devs and EA themselves and what we can expect in the future/if anything at all. Sure, the beginning of my post started off with nostalgia... but that was simply it.

CHECK out The Real Simwives of Starlight Shores!: http://www.youtube.com/realsimwivesHD
Mad Poster
#188 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 10:52 PM
I am kind of confused as to why my thread was merged into this one. My post had nothing to do with which game was better. My post was simply reviewing what's been said about Sims 4 by Devs and EA themselves and what we can expect in the future/if anything at all. Sure, the beginning of my post started off with nostalgia... but that was simply it.

Told ya so!

Was only a matter of time before the hawks swooped in and dropped this thread either in the garbage bin, or in the backwaters.
Lab Assistant
#189 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Told ya so!

Was only a matter of time before the hawks swooped in.

It kind of defeats the purpose... one moderator says it's fine & then another comes in and overrules the other? I don't understand...

CHECK out The Real Simwives of Starlight Shores!: http://www.youtube.com/realsimwivesHD
Mad Poster
#190 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 10:55 PM
It kind of defeats the purpose... one moderator says it's fine & then another comes in and overrules the other? I don't understand...

You don't need to understand, it's just how it is.
Lab Assistant
#191 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 10:56 PM
You don't need to understand, it's just how it is.

Whatever. It's fine. At least a few people were able to contribute to the discussion and I am thankful for that.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#192 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 11:11 PM
Both of the threads I merged had been reported for flaming / harrassment. If you can't have a civilised conversation then at least keep it in one place and do not spam the rest of the forum with it.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
#193 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Both of the threads I merged had been reported for flaming / harrassment. If you can't have a civilised conversation then at least keep it in one place and do not spam the rest of the forum with it.

Well if you thoroughly researched my posts you would see that I've harassed or flamed no one. In fact, that thread was the first time I've contributed to MTS in quite a while. But any how, thanks anyway.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#194 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 11:18 PM
That was a general "you", I didn't address anyone in particular.

Theorist
#195 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 1:36 AM
I saw no one flaming or harassing anyone. Care to give any examples?

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#196 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 1:40 AM
Told ya so!

Was only a matter of time before the hawks swooped in and dropped this thread either in the garbage bin, or in the backwaters.
I wish this thread wasn't seen as something hidden or off of the beaten path. There's no reason why this thread couldn't be lively.
Mad Poster
#197 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 1:50 AM
Inb4 thread locked for dissention and treason.

Edit: also sedition

well you were kinda right. It didn't get locked so much as it got "receptacled"

The Receptacle still lives!
Lab Assistant
#198 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
I saw no one flaming or harassing anyone. Care to give any examples?

I don't either. That's why I was so shocked to see my thread merged into a thread that was barely active.

Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I wish this thread wasn't seen as something hidden or off of the beaten path. There's no reason why this thread couldn't be lively.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's funny (to me) that one person of authority deemed my thread to be safe for discussion and then another came in overruled that decision. Oh well. I'm not trying to be a sourpuss, I just thought that my thread was something that we could contribute to in a professional and respectful manner.

Mad Poster
#199 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 2:37 AM
You're not being a sourpuss at all, this has been a recurring annoyance lately.

The Receptacle still lives!
Lab Assistant
#200 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
You're not being a sourpuss at all, this has been a recurring annoyance lately.

Ahh I see. Like I stated to the mod that merged the thread, I haven't really been active here as much as I used to be. For what it's worth I am glad my thoughts weren't locked/deleted. At least people can still read what I had to say. I am appreciative for that. And I am personally thanking you for contributing to the discussion.

Page 8 of 20