Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 5:04 PM
Default Victorian Times RP [The RP Begins -- Applications Open] FREEFORM
Victorian Times...

The date is 30th November 1840. Winter is fast closing in on the large city of London, and everyone is going about his or her business as usual to the outside eye. Yet those on the inside of the city walls know much more. Life here is changing.

Introduction

The Victorian Era was a time of wide extremes, elegant city streets, gracious living and in contrast grinding poverty.

It was also a great time for exploration and invention many of which have had a profound effect on our world today.

During The Victorian Era with their engineering skills and pioneering spirit the Victorians opened up many wild frontier towns across the world. and along with their flare and ingenuity they also brought with them their values and elegance.

Background Information

Queen Victoria had the longest reign in British history, from 1837 until 1901, and the cultural, political, economic, industrial and scientific changes that occurred during her reign were remarkable. When Victoria ascended to the throne, Britain was primarily agrarian and rural (though it was even then the most industrialised country in the world); upon her death, the country was highly industrialised and connected by an expansive railway network. The first decades of Victoria's reign witnessed a series of epidemics (typhus and cholera, most notably), crop failures and economic collapses. There were riots over enfranchisement and the repeal of the Corn Laws, which had been established to protect British agriculture during the Napoleonic Wars in the early part of the 19th century.

The Roleplay

This roleplay will be largely based on everyday life for those living in the Victorian Period.

It will be mainly freeform, with some noteable events thrown into the action to make it seem more realistic, and easier to follow.

Each day will be spilt into three parts; Morning, Afternoon, and a short night. Morning and afternoon will last four real-life days and night will last three, as I don’t expect a lot to be happening at this time. These times will be posted by myself, and so remember to make sure your posts reflect the time of day.

Victorian Etiquette - The Basic Rules of Etiquette

· Learn to govern yourself and to be gentle and patient.
· Never speak or act in anger.
· Remember that, valuable as is the gift of speech, silence is often more valuable.
· Learn to speak in a gentle tone of voice.
· Learn to say kind and pleasant things when opportunity offers.
· Do not neglect little things if they can affect the comfort of others.
· Learn to deny yourself and prefer others.
· Beware of meddlers and talebearers.

The Classes

Upper Class: - The highest class of people in the victorian times. “The old hereditary aristocracy, reinforced by the new wealthy class who owed their success to commerce, industry, and the professions, evolved into an "upper class" (its consciousness formed in large part by the Public Schools and Universities) which maintained control over the political system, depriving not only the working classes but the middle classes of a voice in the political process”

Middle Class: - As the name tells us, those in Middle Class, were a new class of people, not quite upper class, but much above working class. “The increasingly powerful (and class conscious) middle classes, undertook organized agitation to remedy this situation of the Upper Class being all powerful: the passage of the Reform Act of 1832 and the abolition of the Corn Laws in 1846 were intimations of the extent to which they would ultimately be successful”

Working Class: - The lowest class of people in Victorian times, and probably the best populated. They had no power what so ever and had little income, most being farmers and other low-skilled jobs. “The working classes, remained shut out from the political process, and became increasingly hostile not only to the aristocracy but to the middle classes as well. As the Industrial Revolution progressed there was further social division. Capitalists, for example, employed industrial workers who were one component of the working class.

Useful Links

Wikipeadia – The Victorian Era ((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_era))

Wikipeadia - Women’s Role in Victorian England ((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Victorian_Era))

Victorian Etiquette – the Victorians prided themselves on the way that they carried themselves. Read through this to get a good idea ((http://www.logicmgmt.com/1876/etiquette/etiquette.htm))

All-About-Style: Victorian ((http://www.all-about-style.com/victorian.html))

Fluid's Fantastic Victorian Money ((http://forums.sims2community.com/sh...1&postcount=195))

((If you find any really useful sites, please let me know the url so I can add them to this list.))

Applications

You may enter either a male or female character, which can be Teen – Elder, with the youngest age to be accepted being 14. They can be of any class, so that is the upper class, middle class and working class. I will limit the amount of characters per class to six, to prevent a large amount in one, and none in the others. There can be two characters per person, but please enter them in different classes, but be aware these go on a first-come first-serve basis, and no reservations can be made. Also, females in anything above working class were not expected to hold a job, and those in working class would most probably be a maid for a richer family.

Name:
Bio:
Picture:

((If there is anything I really haven’t made clear, don’t hesitate to shout at me, as this is my first time hosting an RP, and I want it to be a success ))

The Characters

Please try to post at least once per real-life week if possible, and if you will be away for an extended period of time, let me know Those who have been inactive for over a fortnight will be removed from the RP.

Upper Class

1. Ian Venn (Fayreview)
2. Eugenie Alexandria Albany (slytherin-girl)
3. Julia Axe (Anne)
4. James Emry ((will add link later x.x))

Middle Class

1. Amelia Rosefield
2. Elaine Kaysen (On Hiatus)
3. Amanda Wright (innocenteyes)
4. Benjamin Penrose (Atropa)((On Hiatus))
5. Millie

Working Class

1. Katriona Locke (funheart00)
2. Alyssa Cotton (GeeWayrocks)
3. Thomas Blackfoot (FurryPanda)
4. Hannah Miller (Bexstar)
5. Gretchen Richter

Event's

o. New Year's Eve = Party
Advertisement
Original Poster
#2 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 5:13 PM
Default Katriona Locke [Application]
Name: Katriona Locke
Class: Working Class
Bio: Born to a poor peasant and his wife, Katriona grew up with the smallest of things being handed to her, and with four brothers and only one other sister, she was the middle child, and often overlooked. She learnt quickly to become very skilled with a needle and thread. Her mother always wanted more for her large family, and soon shipped Katriona away from their small rural village to the City to have a chance at a better life. Although missing her family dearly, espesially her younger sister, Katriona has been working in the current household for just over a year, and, although she is poor, she is not so hungry and has a giving master. Now, Katriona works to keep herself fed and well and one day would like to re-visit her family.
Picture:
#3 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 5:22 PM
Name: Ian Venn
Class: Upper-Class
Bio: A political world surrounds this bachelor, he is young for his profession but when your parents are well connected and you have a good mind anything can happen. An upstanding man with good morals... well atleast most of the time...
Ian is unusual for a man in his job he believes workhouses can only go to damage the paupers and lower classes inevitably turning the world upside down. He fails to see how the poor are poor out of choice, no one wants that for their family. He would try to lead a revolution but truely those who would have to pay for the repartions would shun him as would the influential comissioners, and then he could help no one...
Ian is however fine with making waves by declaring himself free of the church, times haev begun to change people.... but is Ian changing too fast?
Picture:
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 5:26 PM
((ooc;; Nope, the picture doesn't have to be sim And, thanks for entering - adding you to the first post now...))
Scholar
#5 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 5:35 PM
Default Application - Eugenie Albany
Name: Eugenie Alexandria Albany

Class:Upper Class

Bio: Eugenie is the middle child of her family, and only girl. She has 4 older brothers (Albert, Brandon, Charles,and Daniel) and 4 younger ones(Fredrick, George, Harold, and Isaac). Her father if a Lord and member of the nobility and their family can trace their ancestry back farther than most people care to count.

With her four older brother married, her parents have set their sights on finding her a husband. She recently had her "coming out" and was presented to Queen Victoria. Eugenie is a very caring person, and unfailingly polite in any situation. She is often found in the nursery with her younger brothers.

Picture

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Instructor
#6 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 5:58 PM
Name:
Giselle Lather

Class:
Middle Class

Teacher

Bio:
Well, my name is Giselle, and I am a hardworking girl. I have no kids, I am not married, and that is quite odd for someone my age, usually a person is having babies at the age of 16 or 15, but me I am looking for the right person to be with, not just any ol sir or duke, even though that wouldn't be bad, but I need someone that can make me happy and take care of me!!!

Picture:
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 6:15 PM
((ooc;; Great entries everyone. All added to the First Post.
Just one thing msp_teen: I don't want to ruin your fun, but I think it would be unlikely that a middle class woman would hold a job, let alone one of a seamstress. If you do want her to have a job, it would most probably be that of a teacher, or nothing. You can always have her as an exeption, but its just something that stood out.))
Instructor
#8 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 6:31 PM
Name:Julia Crosby
Class:Middle Class
Bio:Julia was born to a family of 6,she had 3 brothers and 1 sister.Following a great epidemic of a very fatal disease,she lost all of her family except for her youngest sister.Devastated as she was about this,she knew she had to provide for her sister,so she got a job.She is currently waiting for mister right,but she isn't in much rush because her salary from tutoring the children of richer families is holding her and her sister for the time being.
Pic: Here Here
#9 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 6:34 PM
Name: Catrina Clarke
Class: Upper Class
Bio: Born to an extremely wealthy family, Catrina looks down on those who are not in her class. She had no brothers or sisters and was spoiled as a child. She is married to a wealthy man and is currently seven motnhs pregnant with her third child. Her first children, Thomas and Alice, are eight and five.
Picture:

Name: Alyssa Cotton
Class: Lower Class
Bio: Alyssa's mother died in childbirth and her father couldn't afford to keep her, so she was sent to an orphanage, where she struck up a friendship with a girl called Felicity. Both girls were taken to work with the Clarkes at ten, and have remained friends
Picture:
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 6:46 PM
((ooc;; Great entries you two Thanks for entering, just a quick note to all of those who are thinking of entering two characters. Please make sure you make clear to other roleplayers who you are RPing. For example, just using a quick sub-title etc.
pinkgirl4real: The Great Plague of London was in 1665. This RP is set in 1840 so unfortunately it'd be a little difficult for her to have a sister who died in that time, I think. Applications added to first post ))
#11 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 7:00 PM
Name: Dr. Gideon Coyle, D.Phil., FRCS Ed.

Class: Upper class

Bio: Dr. Coyle, scion of a Scottish noble house with a deep and distinguished pedigree, was a surgeon and lecturer at the University of Edinburgh before moving to London. His stated reasons for moving, to take up a position as surgeon and consulting pathologist which had been a standing invitation from his colleagues at London University, mask a more sinister necessity. One of the good Doctor's private hobbies is murder, and after having indulged his second career as a serial killer for several decades, he's decided that a change of scenery would not only be refreshing intellectually and philosophically, but a local Edinburgh inspector with abnormally sharp faculties has been asking too many questions.

Picture:

Dr. Coyle's calling card:

Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 7:14 PM
((ooc;; Well, I'm scared of your character Fluid, but thanks for entering. First post updated ))
Instructor
#13 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 7:18 PM
((ooc: ok funheart I get what you mean, I am going to change her to a teacher))
#14 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 7:20 PM
funheart - Question for you. I understand the theme of this rp is Victoria era (that's what makes it fun) but I was wondering if we could go just a tad bit fictional?
I ask because I was thinking of making a scientist (this era was full of technological advances) but he'd be on the verge of loosing his mind. So he'd be like a mad-scientist. Is that too far away from reality for the RP?
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 7:25 PM
Shenanigans: Urm. I don't see a major problem in it It was slap bang in the middle of the industrial revolution... well near enough the middle, and there *would* be scientists.. I think. Anyway, as long as you play him close enough to what would've been going on at the time (for example; they probably wouldn't have huge labs with massive computers :P) I think its fine We already have a murderer anyway *lol*

On that note, to everyone else, you can go a little fictional, as I realise that it is fairly difficult to stay completely true to form, but as long as anything you do doesn't seem like its more modern (ie after 1920's or so...) then try not to use it, as this *is* meant to be set earlier than that...

Oh, and thank you so much to everyone who has entered, and is thinking of entering... I thought this would flop completely so its great, and makes me very happy .. hehe
Instructor
#16 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 7:49 PM
((Funheart:thanks,i'll change it to something else..))
#17 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 8:48 PM
Thanks funheart! From what I could find, the Tesla coil was late 1800s... so I think I'll be okay. I wasn't sure to make him middle or upper class, let me know if you think it should change.

Name: Victor Stanbury
Class: Upper
Bio: Victor Stanbury was the first child born to a middle class couple. When he was five his mother died while giving birth to his sister. His father was so utterly devastated by the loss of his wife that he neglected his own two children. Victor’s little sister died to disease before reaching the age of two, leaving Victor to grow up alone. He soon turned to his school books and began to fantasize about what could be.
When he was of proper age, he went off to Cambridge University. He soared past his peers, and dropped out of the University by his junior year, giving the reasons of being bored.
Victor spends most of his time holed up in his laboratory that’s filled with species of every sort, mutant creatures, and chemicals galore. His newest obsession is that of electricity. While the world around him focuses on the power of steam, he is in a race with his rival Nikola Tesla to harness the power of electricity.
Although Victor is happiest when alone, he does seek out any elder that is not so “by the book” to have intellectual conversations, and he does at times find himself in need of some subjects, err… helpers, and is willing to pay for their services.
Picture:
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 8:51 PM
((ooc;; Fantastic application Shenanigans! And, I personally think he's suited to being un the Upper Class, but you can always change him over at a later date .. I am actually getting quite scared of all these people who are scary.. *lol* First post updated

EDIT: Wonderful Application Anne. All Upper Class spots have now been filled, but will re-open if someone drops out, or is removed from the RP. :D))
#19 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 9:42 PM
Name:
Julia Axe

Class:
Upper Class

\

Bio:
As a daughter of two rich parents, Julia Axe was never really a hard working person. She had learned her manners and is taught to behave well. After her both parents died in a fire she was given a beautiful home which she now still lives in, acompanied by a maid. She had fallen in love several times, but never really gave into it, afraid to stop behaving like she should. As she changed in the last couple of years, she is seeking for love desperately, hanging on the edge of her good-mannered life and a free life with no restrictions.

Picture:
#20 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 9:46 PM
((aaaah, anne I was gonna do a girl who wants to get out of her stuffy upper class lifeeee =/ ))
#21 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 9:47 PM
((Awww, sorry ))
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 9:52 PM
Kimberly: You can always have a high-end Middle Class family, or have her married to an Upper Class man... Amazingly, if you read up, the Middle Classes in the Victorian Era were the ones who were the most obsessed by class, the upper classes being those who were simply wealthy and knew it, so it could be quite easy for her to have that personality as both her parents would be likely to be worried about how they present themselves... Ahhh! etc, etc...
#23 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 10:06 PM
((I updated my profile with a pic))
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 10:54 PM
(Can they be extreme lower class, like unemployed pickpocket type? I'm going to assume they can, but I'll change him if its a problem.)

Name: Thomas Blackfoot
Bio: Thomas was the sixth son of his poor father, so he left the farm when he was eight to come to London. There he was rapidly drawn into a street gang where he learned all his skills as a petty thief. He had to leave there because he wouldn't consent to rob lower middle class women, and has been making his way on his own since then. Thomas has decided however, that if he can find gainful employment, he will do so beofre the constabulry gets sick of one particular street urchin.

Picture: Coming soon

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#25 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 12:15 AM
Name: Hannah Miller
Bio: Hannah lived in Richmond with her little sister and father at their middle class farm until one day her father died of an illness. The two girls lived with their teacher until she discovered that they had living relatives, their uncle and aunt. They were sent to live with her abusive uncle and timid aunt; well under the poverty line in Fulham. Alice, Hannah's little sister, upset their uncle, and to prevent Alice from being killed, Hannah drove a hammer into his back. They ran away and lived on the streets, trying to find their way back to Richmond, but instead went the wrong way up the river, all the way to Rotherhithe, East London. They were discovered by kind lady, Maudie, who took them in to her washhouse, which was also the home to a few other orphans, all of them pick-pockets. Hannah did not adjust well to this new Cockney life and refused to steal, instead, she would work. Herself, a young man named Jack, and her sister all went out one night, but Alice went missing. It was discovered a few months later that she had been caught stealing a purse and instead of the people pressing charges, they adopted her. Hannah had been working at a factory at the time, but got a job at the local hospital because she could read and write.
Picture

Page 1 of 27