Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2014 at 3:20 PM
Default GEOM smooth problem
hi,

question 1
after I export my mesh from milkshape to geom the whole mesh gets smoothened and cast weird shadows, how do I prevent or fix this?

question 2
also in combination with accessories (specifically clothing accessories) I have this issue with my shoes. Is there a known cause for this?

thanks for any help!
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 27th Mar 2014 at 4:39 AM
1. Make sure you don't have Autosmooth turned on, I think in the Groups tab.

2. Does the distortion change when you move the fat/fit/thin sliders? What vertex ID number range did you use for your shoes?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
1. Make sure you don't have Autosmooth turned on, I think in the Groups tab.

2. Does the distortion change when you move the fat/fit/thin sliders? What vertex ID number range did you use for your shoes?

1. The auto smooth was not turned on. Is there any other reasons to why this may happen ?

2. Yes, the shoes change when I moved the sliders. I haven't even assigned a vertex ID, but I'll read into this.

Thank you!
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 10:59 AM
Some 3d editors will weld all vertice on export, think this happened with these aswell.(after that the whole mesh gets smoothened as one)
You could turn on autosmooth and then use the model cleaner to splitup the vertice on the seams again(if these are uvmapped as seperates that way...)
Click no on the popups, ok on the last.
Turn autosmooth off and finetune with Demon's alligne normals
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 2:55 PM
this is the result aligning the normals gave me

it made it better, but the result still isnt as I want. Any other suggestions ?

thank you!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 3:27 PM
What do you want it to look like?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 4:41 PM
Turn on autosmooth.
select the whole mesh.
mirror it and mirror it back.
Finetune with demon's alligne normals(MTS2)

If autosmooth doesn't give the sharp edges you want then try the model cleaner first, click no on popup, ok on last popup.
It will split the vertice on the seams again with the uvmap as reference.
This means parts should be mapped seperate in order to split the seams.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 12:22 PM
Fixed! Thank you both!