Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 5:30 PM
Default Tutorial: Designer Rugs
I wrote a tutorial on how to make recolourable rugs:

Tutorial: Designer Rugs

Please post any questions and comments in this thread.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Sep 2010 at 11:47 PM
I understood everything up to saving it , but I do have a question when you are making the rgb mask is it a must to have it transparent? I made mine like I do with my patterns and it looked just like yours but when I tried to put my rug in the game it didnt show up.If you can please help
Test Subject
#3 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 12:21 AM
Ok, I figured it out, Woo Hoo!! This is what the rug looks like in game

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 3:01 PM
That looks great. Your texture may be a bit too bright, though, but I love the detail. Any of the methods used to make patterns (for color separation) should work. In fact, I would suggest using the pattern tutorials in the wiki to decide what method to use depending on the rug your trying to make.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 3:40 PM
I tried to make a 3 color rug and I cant get it to recognize the blue in the mask, Im doing nothing different to it that I wouldnt have done with my patterns but this has got me dumbfounded, is there anything that maybe I need to change when I go into the grid part of the tutorial?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 4:38 PM
Yes, you can find that info in this tutorial. The rug template only has 2 channels enabled.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 5:05 PM
SO how do you enable a 3rd and 4th Channel?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 5:10 PM
3rd channel: see link in previous post. 4th channel, not so simple...

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 7:00 PM
Is there a tutorial for the 4th channel?
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 2:09 PM
I tried to follow the thing three times and the mesh still isn't showing. I am so totally confused. ANd why is the colour coming so oddly? Help! The first time I am trying anything in sims 3! All I have made so far are paintings! It is totally confusing me. Esp the colours!
Alchemist
#11 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 4:27 PM
Hi vasuchiyertra...when you say the mesh isn't showing do you mean that your rug isn't showing up in the game? Could you show a picture of the odd colors you're getting?
Scholar
#12 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 4:01 PM
I just spent last night and today doing this tutorial and as I want it in s3.pack I took the package into workshop, I ended up with 5 of my rugs sitting on top of the original, then I tried just importing the .dds files into workshop and it did the same thing.

Any idea where I went wrong?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 4:16 PM
I don't understand what you mean by "on top of the original". Also, how did you take the package into workshop?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Scholar
#14 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 8:49 PM
Well first I just tried importing the package into workshop, you can do that.

This is what happens in the image. Now this also happens if I open the original rug in workshop and try to import just the textures one by one.

I tried rotating the .dds files 90degrees clockwise to see if maybe its because they were the wrong way round, all that did was put them all on top of each other. I have no clue where I went wrong, I followed the tutorial to the letter.

Here's a screenie

The actual rug should only be the section I've outlined in the second one. It should have the big black square round it either. This was me just importing the textures into workshop as opposed to the package, which does the same thing.

I did try just the .package but it didn't show up at all
Screenshots
Alchemist
#15 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 11:29 PM
I'm curious about how the rug looks in-game when you just install the .package into your mods folder...does it work right then?
Scholar
#17 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 5:59 PM
Orangemittens, no, like I said the package doesn't show in game, I shouldn't be finding this difficult, lol

HL, by tiling you mean the show as tiled bit? You can't do that with items in workshop, just with patterns in their pattern tool. So no tiling that I know of. I wanted to see it in game as a .package to see if it was workshop or just me that's done something wrong, but it didn't show at all

Ignore the old pattern showing through, I just did those pics by importing it again just to show you what happened, it has a normal pile carpet texture under the design
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#18 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 7:16 PM
For tiling I meant the tiling: 1, 1 under the texture on the textures tab. But looking again that rug looks like each 1/4 section is mapped to the same part of the image, rather than the whole rug mapped to the whole image. Much like the 2x3 rug (mission I think) by EA has half mapped separately to a 512x512 image creating a seam down the middle.
Scholar
#19 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 7:26 PM
No, that's just the rug and it has been repeated 4 times, plus that black border shouldn't be there at all. The pic of th single section is actually the entire rug and that's all there should be. I spent so much time on it too, it's so annoying. I did it on the rug I cloned it from, on it's image I mean, like it says in the tutorial so it is the same size.

So maybe it's just that rug then, I'll try doing the same thing on a different sized one and see if it makes a difference. Just tried that and it wouldn't let me do it, it wants to crop the rug so it can put it in the wrong way around and I'm down to three rugs on top of the original. I think I'll try something different, this is doing my head in. Thanks everyone
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 9:58 PM
This tutorial was done using the linked package. The mesh in that package is mapped so it use the whole image. As HL said, EA rugs are half and quarter mapped. So any image applied to them will be repeated. To use a EA mesh you will have to remap it to fit your image.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Scholar
#21 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 2:32 AM
I'm sorry about that, I didn't see that template. I was trying to use the 5 x 3 one in the game
Alchemist
#22 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 3:27 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 13th Nov 2010 at 1:13 PM.
So which rug is in the linked package?...is it an EA rug? If it is then shouldn't it have the half and a quarter mapping EA so inconveniently uses?

I apologize fluttereyes for not having noticed that you had mentioned that the package doesn't show in-game...I went back and saw that you had...me bad.

ETA: lol...ignore that question...my reading comprehension for some reason just turns off when I get to this thread lately As an aside, I tried putting the tutorial template rug into my game as-is and it didn't show up. I'm thinking this must be a patch issue though since I put it into an unpatched game. That shouldn't be the same problem that caused FE's rug to not show up but the tiling issue shouldn't cause it to not show up either...unless I'm misunderstanding what was meant by not showing up...which wouldn't surprise me given my luck so far :p
Scholar
#23 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 6:39 PM
I'm trying this again with the template provided, I won't let it beat me. One thing though, if it doesn't show up for OM either then could this be a compatibility issue? I have everything right up to late night and am fully patched
Alchemist
#24 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 1:11 AM
I'm glad you're still trying...I want new rugs in my game and I'm guessing your's will be something I *need*...lol

I put the template rug into my unpatched base game...where, predictably enough, it didn't show up...I just wasn't thinkin'. (Still, though, if something requires a patch to work it might not be a bad idea to mention that...just a thought.)

The fact that your first attempt at the tutorial didn't show up in-game is curious though FE...a tiling issue shouldn't cause that. As I know you're well aware, a tiling issue will make the application of pattern onto your object look like poo but that's about it. So there was something else goin' on there. Do you have LN and the most current patch?...or WA and the last patch for that?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#25 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 3:15 PM
The template not showing up could be a compatibility issue, I'm not sure. But I made the template so that those who have no meshing experience at all could still follow the tutorial and make a rug. You could do this to any of the the EA rugs, you would just have to remap the EA rug to fit the whole image(like your rugs, OM). I'll have to add the remapping part to the tutorial, so that it can be applied to EA rugs.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Page 1 of 3