Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 10:44 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 25th Sep 2013 at 3:20 PM. Reason: Update
Default Testers needed: Mesh Toolkit .obj conversions
For the next version of Mesh Toolkit I've added the following conversions:

GEOM to OBJ, optionally including morphs
OBJ to GEOM using a reference GEOM mesh
WSO to OBJ
OBJ to WSO using a reference WSO mesh

These can be done manually already but I'm trying for an easy one-step process that doesn't depend on Milkshape. I don't do enough meshing to test these out really thoroughly, especially with Blender and other meshing programs. And I know there are problems with programs that recalculate the normals, and am looking at matching normals to EA meshes at the seams. This is a work in progress and I'd appreciate suggestions on how to make this as useful as possible.

All conversions, including GEOM to WSO, are now in a new Conversion Tools tab.

The conversions from OBJ to GEOM and WSO are a bit slow and I haven't done a progress bar yet, so give it a few seconds.

There's a screen for conversion to pet meshes but I haven't done that yet.
There's also bug fixes to correct problems in the WSO Autobone and the combining of GEOM meshes with morphs.

Upzip into a folder and run the .exe file as usual.

Edit:

For WSO conversions: the OBJ group names MUST conform to the WSO standard of "group_base" (or "group_0" for items with no morphs), "group_fat", etc. and it can only handle one mesh (with or without morph groups) at a time. If there's a need for the ability to handle multi-part meshes, that shouldn't be hard to do and I'll look at including it.

For GEOM conversion: base groups can be named anything, but morphs MUST have a name ending in "_fat", "_fit", etc. and must come after the base in the list of groups. It should be able to handle multiple part meshes as long as the groups are in order with the base first, followed by the morphs (if any) for that base. I haven't yet tested that, though.

Edit: If you're reporting a problem, it would be helpful if you upload the .obj mesh you're converting and either upload the reference mesh or if it's an EA mesh tell me what it is.

Update: Updated to Mesh Toolkit 1.4.1 - fixed bug in reading OBJ files, added option for naming of base group in GEOM to WSO conversion.

Update: Updated to Mesh Toolkit 1.4.2 - added fix for locale when parsing obj files, added better error messages.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MeshToolKit_1_4_2_0.zip (266.0 KB, 668 downloads) - View custom content

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:12 AM
Thanks CmarNYC, I have a few OBJ to GEOM projects in the works. Don't mess with WSO here, but I'll let you know how the GEOM comes out. Love this tool!
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 5:33 AM
i tried a obj to GEOM but it didn't showup when i wanted to have a look after in Milkshape
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:02 AM
Bloom, can you upload the obj you tried to convert?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:32 PM
I tried an OBJ to GEOM, it worked fine for me. It showed up in Delphy's Geom 3D viewer and imported fine into Milkshape. The toolkit even added vertex bones. The bone assignments do need tweaking though. But they were assigned. It was a 3 part mesh that I converted from .x to .obj to .geom.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:46 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 20th Aug 2013 at 3:24 PM.
had to retry, had overwritten the file
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 2:44 PM
Bloom, I need to see the obj you converted from. The conversion mesh has position, etc. coordinates that are huge numbers, but I need to see the source to figure out what's going wrong.

Bobsim, thanks for testing. The accuracy of the bone assignments depends on how similar the shape of the reference mesh is to the mesh you're converting. Also it's best to use a whole body mesh even if you're working on a top or bottom. Possibly by using a different reference you'd get better results that might not need tweaking. But in many cases the finishing touches will still have to be done in Milkshape. Too bad obj doesn't include bones!

Sockpuppet
#8 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 3:24 PM
oops, here it is
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  test.7z (146.6 KB, 31 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 5:22 PM
CmarNYC, you are a GENIUS! Ok, the obj mesh I was messing with was a bottom. I did as you said and used a body GEOM that was as close as I could get it. It worked so much better. It was almost like frankenstiening an EA's mesh. Too kewl.

So, I then exported the GEOM nude leg as OBJ, then used Meshtoolkit to bring it back to GEOM, it worked like a charm! Like I never changed it. Really beautiful program you created.
:lovestruc

Hope this helps a bit. Going to try the WSO's next.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 5:52 PM
Thanks "Cmar"! you're the Best!

This will save me (and others) a lot of time
*now we just need a .bvh exporter so we can play Sims in iClone,xD ,just kidding.*

I will torture this new toy and report if i get snag!

BobbyTH
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:07 PM
Thanks. Let me know about the WSOs, and the snags. :D

Bloom, I ran the conversion with no problems using the male full body nude lod1 mesh as reference. (I made my reference meshes by combining the nude tops and bottoms.) The converted geom is shown below in Milkshape - beautiful mesh, btw. What did you use as a reference?
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:11 PM
I converted my .OBJ to WSO. My first try gave me this:

I realized that it was caused by me trying to convert the 3 part mesh. So I regrouped them in Milkshape. After that, the conversion went smooth.

Importing the new WSO into TSRW, it gave me this:

That was solved by going into Milkshape and manually creating the morphs and renaming them 'group_***' an so on. I realise now, that the Toolkit probably could of done the morphs for me too. Just haven't messed with WSO's until now.

Long story short, the OBJ to WSO conversion went great. Just have to keep a few things in mind that I stated above.

Thank you soooo much for this!!!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:16 PM
Ah yes, forgot to warn that for WSO conversions the group names MUST conform to the WSO standard of "group_base" or "group_0", "group_fat", etc. and that for WSOs it can only handle one mesh (with or without morph groups) at a time. The GEOM conversion should be able to handle multiple part meshes as long as the groups are in order with the base first, followed by the morphs (if any) for that base. I'll add that to the OP.

Now to figure out how to catch that error...

Sockpuppet
#14 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:15 PM
hmm, used the officier fullbody outfit.

At bobsim.
Toolkit names the mesh by default group0 wich can not be loaded into tsrw under clothing..
so you need to rename it but then again you need Milkshape again ....but wat you also can do is clone a object with tsrw, rename the group in the meshtab to group_0, import your mesh, rename the group in the meshtab to group_base and then export the mesh again.
hopes this makes sence lol
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:13 PM
Yeah, if the item has no morph groups Toolkit will name the group "group_0". I'll have to fix that too.

The Air Force Officer mesh? I tried that and it worked fine. Or was it a custom mesh? I noticed the vertex numbering started at 0 for your conversion, which shouldn't have happened for an EA mesh which should start at 5000. I hate to ask again, but could you upload the mesh you used for reference?

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:58 PM
It makes sense Bloombase. I'll keep that in mind. WSO's are really neat. All morphs in one mesh file. I'm going to have to use them more now.

With the new toolkit, I think I can now do CAS meshing in Blender now. Couldn't use the GEOM scripts due to my 64bit system. Export to .OBJ, convert to GEOM or WSO and have a beautiful new mesh. I'm really excited! Thank you for your hard, extremely helpfull work CmarNYC.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 6:35 AM
My attempt to convert obj for pets to wso
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cat_Kira
My attempt to convert obj for pets to wso

Could you upload the obj?

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Could you upload the obj?

have sent to PM
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 5:33 PM
Thanks. The problem is fixed in version 1.4.1, uploaded to the OP.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 6:16 AM
doesn't work (have no click event)
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 6:19 AM
problem, simgeom is fur...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  S3_015A1849_48A0F5D6_00000000AEFE583D_alBodyFursBichon_1%%+GEOM.7z (30.5 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 7:04 AM
sent obj file to pm
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#24 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 3:17 PM
doesn't work (have no click event)

I'm still working on the Pets conversions and haven't even started on this one. This thread is only for testing the obj conversions, please don't try the Pets ones at this time.

problem, simgeom is fur...

The fur GEOMs are morphs and can't be converted to .obj without a base mesh. I'll add an appropriate error message. As I explained in another thread, getting the furs to match the pet base meshes is a huge headache - you have to combine the body parts into one base mesh and then use Toolkit to match the fur morph to the base.

sent obj file to pm

The conversion works fine for me, so something else is going on that's possibly caused by your computer or your locale. I've made a change that should help with locale problems, and the new version is uploaded to the OP. Please let me know if it helps!

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
The conversion works fine for me, so something else is going on that's possibly caused by your computer or your locale. I've made a change that should help with locale problems, and the new version is uploaded to the OP. Please let me know if it helps!

yes, now it work, thank you!
Page 1 of 2