Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000

Ummm wow

That might be worth a look too. Up until now, the only way I could fill up a cemetery is by rolling up a heaping bunch of randomized Sims, killing off all but one of them (typically by Motherloding them a bunch of money, sending them to Twikki Island, having them find the Mysterious Hut and trying to fix the Witch Doctor's stuff when they all have zero Mechanical skill), then have the remaining Sim send all of their urns to Gothier Green Lawns or wherever. But I have to do it quickly, because I'm a soft-hearted and benevolent Sim God and it grieves me to deliberately kill my Sims.

Danke.

Willkommen and ah yes, the old kill a bunch of random Sims to make a graveyard. You could use boolprop testingcheatsenabled on shift click/summon/Rodney's Death Creator. That does it a bit more quickly.

Well, it's tempting to go with "The Holy House of the Whited Sepulcher," but that's too strong of a Biblical reference. How about "The Sacred Platinum Plumbob Cathedral" instead?

I love it! and it goes with the Plumbbob of Praise

I listened to a lot of Nox Arcana music while I was knocking this cathedral together, though. Nox Arcana really has a way of putting me in the right frame of mind for creating things along that vein. So did one or two or three or four or five or six or seven or, well, lots of tunes from the Castlevania games. Music sets the mood, and mood means all the world when I'm creating things. But isn't that true for all of us?

Yes, it is. I always love to listen to music while I'm writing and sometimes when I play Sims. 'Tis the best for lot building. I like the Nox Arcana stuff! Thanks

Speaking of Baljhet Mountains, I wonder if it's possible for me to outdo this lot by extending a lot's size to, say, something huge -- like 12x12 -- and using TS2's terrain tools to create a bona fide mountain, sized to scale, right there in the middle of the neighborhood. This cathedral's just sitting on a foothill by comparison, but an actual mountain...would that be crazy or what? As three years in West Montana assured me, mountains are awesome in the truest sense of the word.

Wow...I'm not sure how you could do something like that....but hey, worth a shot!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#27 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
The most beautiful and fanciest church ever built in the Sims 2 game has got to be this:

http://chukhin.brinkster.net/Lynne/...mes/church.html

Scroll down to very bottom, and feast your eyes on an one-of-a-kind traditional church! It involves setHighestAllowedLevel and boolprop constrainfloorelevation true to create an intricately complex masterpiece. I always marvel at the detail! Unfortunately, the link is broken, so you just have to recreate it yourself if you want a replica in your game.

Hey, I had thought about using ConstrainFloorElevation to make some flying buttresses for my cathedral! I must admit that I'm not all that practiced with actually using that cheat, though. But it looks like this creator beat me to it anyway. Those are some really nice buttresses with flying buttresses in that picture there. And is that a belltower or steeple, or is it a perhaps a vault over the crossing?

That's one of the things that I love about church architecture: Every church of the old, Gothic styles shares the same architectural elements, yet the architects of every church got creative and thought to mix those elements up in many different ways. One church might have the transepts forming a crossing in front of the chancel, another might have a continuous transept running behind it. and a third might have the transepts running right into the sides of the chancel in the middle. One church might have one door with a long narthex, another might have three doors with the narthex joining them all (like Sacred Heart did). It's intriguing how these church architects can find so many ways to design a multitude of different churches from the same box of Legos, I think.

Speaking of Sacred Heart, I Googled and found my old grade school and my old church! See? Look at those huge stained glass windows. Those are what I'm talking about! And I forgot that the church actually has two of those votive shrines; they're up there in that one picture, recessed into the wall to either side of the chancel. The Virgin Mary's shrine (the one that I used to haunt with my Joan of Arc candle when I was a kid) is right there on the Gospel side, but I'm not sure who's in that shrine to our right; I think it was Saint Joseph -- the one who was Jesus' stepdad, because there are probably a hundred different Saint Josephs recognized by the Church -- but don't quote me on that.

And that faculty list is elating and depressing at the same time. The Sacred Heart grounds has (or had) a convent with a ton of nuns from the Order of the Precious Blood living there, so our faculty included a lot of nuns; that includes the school principal, who was Sister Loretta Lynn for several years before she was replaced by Tom Henke, a layman who was also an Alumnus from Sacred Heart back in the late 60's (a few years before I was born), then he was my Eighth Grade science teacher, and then he replaced Sister Loretta and became the principal after I graduated and switched to high school. Sue Gieseke (the education consultant further down on that faculty list) was my Third Grade teacher and my first teacher at Sacred Heart after my brother and I made the migration from Texas to Missouri. It's amazing that she's still with Sacred Heart after more than 35 years. But you know what else I notice about that faculty list? No more nuns! What happened to all the nuns? Is the Precious Blood convent still there, or did they move on like the Jesuits who originally built and founded Sacred Heart did? I'll have to read further and see if I can find the answer to that.

By the way, do you suppose that ConstrainFloorElevation could also "squish" a level between the Clerestory and the Gallery and let me build that Triforium that I keep talking about?
Mad Poster
#28 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 2:48 AM
Just happened upon these:http://www.affinitysims.com/IPB/fil...indow-recolors/
I was impressed.
Inventor
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 3:48 AM
I'm just checking in again. Don't mind me; I'm just playing with those windows that Lili, Charity and Annaminna recommended. Those big rosette windows are something else, let me tell you. I'm thinking of adding a few of these windows to my hilltop cathedral after I finish making it upload-worthy and getting it on MTS. Thanks again for the suggestions, y'all.

One of those downloads that Charity linked also includes buttresses with flying buttresses. But they're modified pillars, and I kind of prefer the concept of flying buttresses that are directly joined with the cathedral itself. They're probably better than nothing, though, so until I master the ConstrainFloorElevation cheat, I think I might include a few of those. So good job searching for those too, Charity.
Inventor
Original Poster
#30 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 4:07 AM Last edited by Pizzatron-9000 : 26th Sep 2015 at 4:22 AM.
So anyway, is there anything about the design of the cathedral that I could work on? Or is it good enough as it is? Don't be afraid to give your honest opinions; I won't bite.

A little more lot-name-related brainstorming goes here:

• The Church of Saint Amelia Tellamyr (a Sims Medieval reference)
• The Church of Saint Nerix the Dragon (another one)
• The Sanctuary of the Blessed Platinum Heart
• The Holy House of Saint Aurelius Landgraabus (...okay, okay, I yield. )
• The Most Sacred Plumbob Priory
• The Saint Agnes Crumplebottom Cathedral
• The Holy Seat of Bishop Magnanimus Goth
• The Holy Seat of Bishop Avaricius Landgraab (...couldn't resist)
• The Exalted Church of the Holy Jacoban Sacrament (yet another Sims Medieval reference)
• The Cathedral of the Holy Peteran Sacrament (for those who enjoyed playing the kindly and humble Peteran priest more than the self-aggrandizing, fire-and-brimstone Jacoban priest)
• The Holy House of the McCullough Covenant (a very subtle Apartment Life reference. The church's founders struck a bargain with a witch? Inconceivable!)
• The Transimvanian Covenant Church
• The Butterroot Forest Church (yeah, this one again)
• The Cathedral of the Mount Plumbobian Foothills
• The Deep Simonian Forest Sanctuary
• [Insert your other ideas here]

Hmm. Some of these names are a bit long. Is there any sort of a character limit on lot names? I've never run into it.

So whatcha think 'bout it?
Scholar
#31 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 4:12 AM
love all those names!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Inventor
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DizzyBoo
love all those names!

I just squeezed in a few more, too. Sorry.
Scholar
#33 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 4:28 AM
hahahha I love those too

I believe there is a limit eventually.

This one made me laugh, The Holy Seat of Bishop Magnanimus Goth

Inventor
Original Poster
#34 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 4:37 AM
Hey, the Goths are a long-standing Sims family. Tying them in might not be a bad idea.

I'm also considering "The Church of Saint Armando the Ageless". Count Armando Roennigke is the semi-official name for one of the Grand Vampires, according to the TS2 files. Do you think that this might be a sledgehammer of a reference, or might it have potential too?

And if this lot were your creation, then what would you name it, hmm?

EDIT: Dizzy, what did you just do to your avatar? It looks like someone with a bag over their head!
Scholar
#35 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 4:44 AM Last edited by DizzyBoo : 26th Sep 2015 at 5:59 AM.
I LOVE that one. The reference of vampires is perfect! I think (if I was smart enough to have found that stuff out on my own) I would name it that

I changed it back lol. Just wasn't showing up well enough. Stupid 100x100 size -_-

But the pic is here http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...6&goto=lastpost

Idk that box is something I randomly found on NewSea

Mad Poster
#36 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:40 AM
For constructive criticism, the one thing that would make me not download that lot is the inaccessibility. There is nothing more annoying/boring than waiting for sims to get up/down a million flights of stairs (and this is if they make it safely and don't run into another sim on the way and get stuck). To use it as a church you'd want to be able to have a congregation. It would take more than the allocated time for the service just to get the sims up to the church (while they complained about someone else already using the stairs) and then they'd probably all be rushing the bathrooms because their bladder motives had decayed on the way lol. If you were using it as a residential lot for a Bishop or priest then they'd be constantly missing the taxi/their carpool unless they started walking several hours before it arrived.

As for CC, it's easy as pie for the downloader as long as the creator allows the CC to be packaged with the lot. You just use Clean Installer to install it with the rest of the lot. It's when they don't that you have to do the not so fun CC hunt. So if you want to add CC, but are concerned for the DLers, then make sure that you can package it with the lot.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#37 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 3:02 PM
Moving to Pictures.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 3:08 PM
Pizzatron: It is actually possible to have a white underside of that roof. You could use these defaults: http://modthesims.info/d/327787

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#39 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 3:10 PM
You know what would be great to have in a pulpit? One of the lecturns that the game gives out as career rewards from the Politics or Law career paths. Would your SIms happen to have one of those?
The pulpit in St Simeon's is the one from RetailSims (originally ReligioSims) and it's obviously derived from the politics career reward. It makes at least some of the Sims there sit in the pews and listen to the pearls of wisdom pouring from the Rev. Elspeth's lips. I think it and a small wall cross are the only CC in St Simeon's. The pews are just park benches.

From the parish's point of view, the Gospel Side is to their left and the Epistle Side is to their right.
You are absolutely right, and I have been in error for the last ten years or so. Grovel, grovel! I got into trouble (from a member of the congregation -- not from the priest!) for lighting and extinguishing the candles in the "wrong" order. I eventually learned that I had to light the candles starting from the right (from the congregation's point of view) and extinguish them in the opposite order, but somehow I had it fixed in my mind that the first candle I lit on the altar was the Gospel Candle and the one on the other side was the Epistle Candle. Thanks for making it clear to me that it's the other way round. At least it now makes a little sense to me that some people said, "The Gospel Candle should never burn alone." Our present priest says it's all a lot of nonsense, and always extinguishes the candles herself in the "wrong" order! It's amazing the things you learn on the MTS Sims 2 forum!

Were the churches Protestant, by chance?
High Anglican or "Anglo-Catholic". A priest once told me that we are "Catholic but Reformed", or indeed "RC's" = "Reformed Catholics". In respect to the layout of their churches, high Anglicans are virtually indistinguishable from Roman Catholics, indeed they often seem to be trying to be more Roman than the Romans. So we have vestments, incense, reserved Sacrament, sanctuary lamps, Sanctus bells, etc., etc. The main difference is that the priests are invariably married, and nowadays some are even women! (Shock! Horror!) So I would think that liturgical east being where the high altar is, regardless of its physical direction, would apply equally to the Roman Catholic Church. The Church has the God-given authority to decide for itself what direction is East! Quite regardless of where the sun happens to rise!

Incidentally before Vatican 2 (in the 1960s) the priest was on the same side of the altar as the congregation and the altar was against the East wall. Vatican 2 (the Second Vatican Council) decided that this gave the impression that the priest was a mediator between God and the people. So the altars were all pulled out from the walls and the priests went round behind the altars. And, of course, the Anglo Catholics slavishly followed what the Roman Catholics did, so we pulled all our altars from the wall too. So, in a pre-1960s church, the altar should be against the East wall - possibly a significant detail for those playing historic neighbourhoods.

That's a snazzy little church, by the way. I like how the brick on the Nave level contrasts with the stucco on the levels above it.
The church was designed to match the secular architecture of Veronaville, but I have to admit I've never seen a British church in that style. I think I've seen a small half-timbered village church in Northern Germany but nothing on this scale. If anything it reminds me more of a computer model of an Anglo Saxon monastery than anything else. Nonetheless it seems to work ok as a parish church for the town, and I have wondered about uploading it here. It's a community lot and I have a completely unused CC-free version in my Lot Bin. Maybe I should upload a couple of pics to the new Whatcoo up to? thread and see what people think.

Well, it definitely helps to have all of the EPs and all of the SPs; there's quite a bit of variety to be found among them all. But including CC definitely would help. I've just decided that none of my uploads to MTS will include CC, because I want people to be able to install the .package or the .Sims2pack and jump right in. And I hate it when I find some awesome-looking CC, and I go to download it, and the creator says, "Thank you for looking over my custom green grocer stand! Just download these two files, then download four more files from Site X, and six more files from Site Y, and delete this file, and move that file to such-and-such directory, and burn some frankincense during the Autumn Equinox, then balance a fork on your head, and you're all set!"

What about uploading it CC-free, but including a list of suggested CC?

And if this lot were your creation, then what would you name it, hmm?
"The Church of the Celestial Tabernacle", in view of the fact that you have to climb half the way up to heaven just to get to the door! Pity the poor pall bearers having to carry a coffin up all those stairs. Or maybe Sims are meant to climb the stairs while they're still alive and die in the church. I think if I actually had a lot like that in my 'hood, I'd consider adding an external elevator.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
The pulpit in St Simeon's is the one from RetailSims (originally ReligioSims) and it's obviously derived from the politics career reward. It makes at least some of the Sims there sit in the pews and listen to the pearls of wisdom pouring from the Rev. Elspeth's lips. I think it and a small wall cross are the only CC in St Simeon's. The pews are just park benches.

I hope they removed the ability for children to burp into the microphone from it. XD Blasphemy!
Inventor
Original Poster
#42 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
For constructive criticism, the one thing that would make me not download that lot is the inaccessibility. There is nothing more annoying/boring than waiting for sims to get up/down a million flights of stairs (and this is if they make it safely and don't run into another sim on the way and get stuck). To use it as a church you'd want to be able to have a congregation. It would take more than the allocated time for the service just to get the sims up to the church (while they complained about someone else already using the stairs) and then they'd probably all be rushing the bathrooms because their bladder motives had decayed on the way lol. If you were using it as a residential lot for a Bishop or priest then they'd be constantly missing the taxi/their carpool unless they started walking several hours before it arrived.

A fair point. I'm a bit concerned with traffic jams on the path myself, which is why I added a few wide spots (like at either end of that one long bridge directly under the cathedral's Gospel Side). But it should be possible to widen the path to two tiles in width, at least for most of it. The path leading up to Carmilla's manor is two tiles wide, and she never gets traffic jams. I'll go tinker that into the cathedral in a little bit and see how it looks.

I do have to stick to the concept, however; it's supposed to be an old, secluded church on a towering crag off in the deep forest; if the lot was more than 50 tiles deep, I probably would have placed the hill (and the cathedral) further from the road. I'll save the easy-access mountainside house of worship concept for when I get around to designing the quasi-Tibetan Buddhist-styled temple with a bunch of these monks.

As a bonus to having long approaches to the house, I get to watch the paperboy come all the way up to Carmilla's house every morning (if I remember to switch the game speed back to normal, because Carmilla's usually napping in her coffin by then). If not for her sunlight allergy, I'd have her using the telescope during the daytime too, just because. "That's right, Mortimer Goth. It's time for your daily exercise! Run it off! Run it off good."

But there's always the amusement of watching the paperboy, Rod Humble, the Hobby Instructors or random doorbell-ringing visitors trudge all the way up those stairs. As soon as I move Carmilla from the manor to the cathedral, I can expect that sadistic fun to be doubled!

As for CC, it's easy as pie for the downloader as long as the creator allows the CC to be packaged with the lot. You just use Clean Installer to install it with the rest of the lot. It's when they don't that you have to do the not so fun CC hunt. So if you want to add CC, but are concerned for the DLers, then make sure that you can package it with the lot.

AndrewGloria suggested adding the links for optional CC to the lot's Upload View description; I might try that. As for Andrew's post itself, it's pretty big, so I might have to give it its own Reply.

Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Moving to Pictures.

Aw. Well, nice to meet you too.

Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Pizzatron: It is actually possible to have a white underside of that roof. You could use these defaults: http://modthesims.info/d/327787

Mine! I'm not a fan of those gray eaves under all the roofs, so...thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I would suggest a name! How about "Our Lady of Continence"? Sims who have just peed themselves would ask their Blessed Lady of Continence to teach them how to control their bladders and deal with public embarrassment, humiliation, and shame. Those who successfully pray to her 5 times a day (view the statue of the gray woman five times a day) will be permitted to use their Needs aspiration perks.

You know, I've never seen one mystery quirk in the Gray Woman statue. You know how, if your Sims view the scarecrow enough times, it eventually jumpscares them? I've always wondered what happens if you View the Gray Woman enough times, just from her price and her description. Is that a perfectly ordinary statue, or am I missing something?

I hope they removed the ability for children to burp into the microphone from it. XD Blasphemy!

Suffer little children and forbid them not, Charity.
Scholar
#43 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:21 PM
You know, I've never seen one mystery quirk in the Gray Woman statue. You know how, if your Sims view the scarecrow enough times, it eventually jumpscares them? I've always wondered what happens if you View the Gray Woman enough times, just from her price and her description. Is that a perfectly ordinary statue, or am I missing something?

Normal as far as I know. But Scarecrows and Living Statues scare Sims lol

Theorist
#44 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 11:55 PM
You have a lot of patience. I admire that.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#45 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 1:31 AM
Ooh! I must see that! I've not seen it yet. The only Sim I know of in my game with that career reward is Garry Mackay, and he's single. I don't think I've ever seen children in his house. As for the church, I don't think I've seen any children there yet either. But Andrew and Julian are now regular attenders, and Julian has a young brother and sister. So he must take them to church on Sunday to see if they can burp into the pulpit mike!
Suffer little children and forbid them not, Charity.
I'm pretty sure the Rev Elspeth will agree with that!

Vampires are supposed to be banned in my game by the Visitor Controller, but sometimes the Grand Vampires slip through the net. At least twice now they've appeared to upset me and my Sims, both times at gay night clubs. The first one was quite repulsive and danced naked there. So I think I'll send the Rev. Elspeth round to the clubs concerned to exorcise them!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Inventor
Original Poster
#46 Old 26th Oct 2015 at 12:19 AM
As per Charity's counsel, I went ahead and widened most of the footpath to two tiles. Some parts were limited to a one-tile width by the constraints of terrain or the edges of the lot, but it should be good enough to avert Simmy traffic jams now.

Not every walkable area is paved; the patch of bare rock next to that dead fir tree in the last pic, for example, is perfectly level, and Sims can walk on it.

It should be ready for upload now. Regretably, most of the suggested names -- including my own -- were too long for the lot name. So I had to settle for "Bitterroot Foothills Church". Think that's good enough, or can it be better somehow?
Scholar
#47 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 2:42 AM
Wowee Pizza, what a gorgeous lot. You should consider making a Skyrim hood. That's what this lot reminded me of.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Inventor
Original Poster
#48 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Snufflepaws
Wowee Pizza, what a gorgeous lot. You should consider making a Skyrim hood. That's what this lot reminded me of.

Hmmm...Skyrim, eh? You're a walking bag of fun ideas, Snufflepaws.

So would such a mod be more along the lines of Shor's Stone? Or would it be something smaller, along the lines of Froki's Shack?
Scholar
#49 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 5:00 AM
It'd be a big project, but I bet you could do Winterhold beautifully (college with the bridge).

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Inventor
Original Poster
#50 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 12:42 PM
The Winterhold? Aw, now you're just flattering me. Winterhold's gorgeous, but it's also pretty huge. Imagine all the custom wall covers and window textures! It would look pretty incredible in the end, though. .

I love that aurora in the sky, too. I wonder if any Simmy mods out there can give us some lovely, wavering aurora effects in the sky. Canada doesn't know how good they have it, aside from the long, blustery winters.
Page 2 of 3