Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 3:53 AM
Default WHY can aliens NOT get plastic surgery??
In the game it says "cultural reasons." Lies. I don't understand why EA would even feel like they need to stop aliens from getting plastic surgery, I can't imagine any reason for it.

But here's my story: Since I've downloaded the latest (great) SimsMx Hospital Overhaul mod, I really wanted to make a trans* Sim. The Sim in question is still a teenager, but I am eagerly awaiting his (her) birthday so I can go ahead with it. At least, I was, until I clicked on the hospital with the mother active, and saw no sex reassignment option. Apparently, it counts as plastic surgery. So now I'm kind of disappointed. (More than I let on, actually.)

If anyone knows of a mod that removes the restriction on plastic surgery for aliens, please let me know. I'd rather do this the way the Hospital Overhaul mod gave me, not just doing it in CAS. That somehow feels like cheating.

And as a final note: Anyone besides me miffed that aliens can't get plastic surgery?
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 11:33 AM
I would imagine aliens being unable to get plastic surgery is rooted in the inability of sim doctors to safely operate on an, well, alien anatomy. I mean, it's not like they run a course in medical school "Surgery 101 for the Aliens among Us". I know there are world renown surgeons working in Sim hospitals, but they are only world renown, not galaxy renown.
Scholar
#3 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 12:17 PM
Maybe plastic surgery is the equivalent of tattooing a swastika on your forehead and the number of dead babies you've eaten on your arm where aliens come from. You know, cultural reasons.
Instructor
#4 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 12:38 PM
I *think* the sex reassignment feature has been disabled temporarily because he was having issues with it - or at least that's the impression I got reading through the comments section. So it may not even be there for them to get.
Quote:
Sims MX Moderator **** Posts: 190 Re: Hospital Overhaul (Scripting Mod) [For Testing] « Reply #146 on: 23 September 2013, 03:44 »
I've added the pending translations and made a quick update for patch 1.57. I have also temporarily disabled the sex reassignment interaction, since it's not working at the moment. I hope to have it back soon.

Seeing as this is the last update he's done of the mod - I'd assume it's still disabled.
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 5:40 PM Last edited by Pyralidae : 7th Feb 2014 at 7:52 PM.
The game itself won't allow plastic surgery for the same reason you can't create aliens in CAS. "Coding issues." Since two teams at EA were developing Supernatural and Seasons at the same time and they didn't use the same path to create aliens vs the other occults.

Basically the aliens aren't coded the same way as normal sims, so things like plastic surgery which relies on CAS won't work. Just another oversight,

Source: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/jjc6i9
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MrsNervousSubject
I *think* the sex reassignment feature has been disabled temporarily because he was having issues with it - or at least that's the impression I got reading through the comments section. So it may not even be there for them to get.

Seeing as this is the last update he's done of the mod - I'd assume it's still disabled.

The odd thing is, I had an earlier version of the mod until very recently (oops, good thing it's just a scripting mod!), and it hadn't shown up for aliens then, either. Of course, it's not that big of a problem to me. I can always just mess with it in CAS, or wait until he figures out what the deal is with it.

I've just always been really confused as to why aliens couldn't get plastic surgery when they could do everything else at the hospital.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pyralidae
The game itself won't allow plastic surgery for the same reason you can't create aliens in CAS. "Coding issues." Since two teams at EA were developing Supernatural and Seasons at the same time and they didn't use the same path to create aliens vs the other occults.

Basically the aliens aren't coded the same way as normal sims, so things like plastic surgery which relies on CAS won't work. Just another oversight,

Source: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/jjc6i9

Oh wow, that sounds like... hm, I want to say bureaucracy but I know that's not the right way to put it.

It just sounds really inefficient and kind of dumb. I can't claim to know what was going on at EA's headquarters when they made that decision, but my guess is that they wanted to churn out those two EPs as quickly as possible, for the money, obviously.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kinseth
The odd thing is, I had an earlier version of the mod until very recently (oops, good thing it's just a scripting mod!), and it hadn't shown up for aliens then, either. Of course, it's not that big of a problem to me. I can always just mess with it in CAS, or wait until he figures out what the deal is with it.

I've just always been really confused as to why aliens couldn't get plastic surgery when they could do everything else at the hospital.

Out of date scripting mods have been known to cause meteor showers, so actually its more important to have the scripting mods at the correct level.
Inventor
#9 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kinseth
Oh wow, that sounds like... hm, I want to say bureaucracy but I know that's not the right way to put it.

It just sounds really inefficient and kind of dumb. I can't claim to know what was going on at EA's headquarters when they made that decision, but my guess is that they wanted to churn out those two EPs as quickly as possible, for the money, obviously.

It sounds like normal modus operandi for EA; Thinking with their wallet.
That's why Need for Speed games can chuck out a (poor) game every year, by having different developers doing the game.

Which often leads to situations like this, the right hand not knowing what the left hand does and vice versa.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
It sounds like normal modus operandi for EA; Thinking with their wallet.
That's why Need for Speed games can chuck out a (poor) game every year, by having different developers doing the game.

Which often leads to situations like this, the right hand not knowing what the left hand does and vice versa.

Oh I was not aware that Need for Speed was given to different developers. I am not a big fan of racing game, but I did play Porshe Unleashed way back extensively. But yes, just because EA is a big company does not mean they are really that streamlined and organized. I have been working in the corporate world for a while to know that they spend 30% of their time doing productive stuff, and 70% of their time sorting out the mess created through bad organizationing.

What I really hate about TS3 is how unstable and bloated the game is. Typical gamers cannot honestly get through the game without corrupted save games and crashes. My current computer still cannot handle TS3 if I ... say ... play a 60x60 lot built has some grand castles. Framerate would drop to 10fps. And yet I have no problem playing the newest games with max graphics. Friends come to my house to install games just to enjoy the big screen and max graphic settings (I can display my monitor onto a 60" LCD TV). Assassin's Creed 4 (2013) can run at max graphic fighting a huge battle, yet TS3 (2009) crawls to its knees playing 60x60 with about ... 5 sims.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fentonparkninja
Maybe plastic surgery is the equivalent of tattooing a swastika on your forehead and the number of dead babies you've eaten on your arm where aliens come from. You know, cultural reasons.

Wait, wait. People look down on this?

...Shit.
Scholar
#12 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Wait, wait. People look down on this?

...Shit.
Well, aliens do. Why else would they be trying to kill us every time they interact with human society?

Though being probed is arguably a far worse fate than being shot with alien ray guns. T rating ... yeah Seasons, go on and pull the other one!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Oh I was not aware that Need for Speed was given to different developers. I am not a big fan of racing game, but I did play Porshe Unleashed way back extensively. But yes, just because EA is a big company does not mean they are really that streamlined and organized. I have been working in the corporate world for a while to know that they spend 30% of their time doing productive stuff, and 70% of their time sorting out the mess created through bad organizationing.

What I really hate about TS3 is how unstable and bloated the game is. Typical gamers cannot honestly get through the game without corrupted save games and crashes. My current computer still cannot handle TS3 if I ... say ... play a 60x60 lot built has some grand castles. Framerate would drop to 10fps. And yet I have no problem playing the newest games with max graphics. Friends come to my house to install games just to enjoy the big screen and max graphic settings (I can display my monitor onto a 60" LCD TV). Assassin's Creed 4 (2013) can run at max graphic fighting a huge battle, yet TS3 (2009) crawls to its knees playing 60x60 with about ... 5 sims.

What model do you have? Not that it really matters, because I'm sure the only reason my game runs so well on my laptop is the fact that I use Twallan's mods.

EA would really be lost without modders.