Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:36 AM Last edited by invock : 14th Jun 2009 at 7:12 PM.
Default "Useless" traits ? [Might contain spoilers]
Hi all ! I've been on MTS for quite long right now, and that's the first time I ever post on the board... but the topic has been crawling on my mind for days now.

TS3 provides traits for our characters to define their personnalities and beahaviors. And that's just great. Having a Inappropriate-Evil-Insane-Klepto teen running around the city during night avoiding the police to steal randomly in the neighborhood gardens is fantastic ^^ !!

But some of those traits leave me a bit... unsatisfied.

I'll make a little sum-up of those I tried until now :

- Absent-minded : "Absent-Minded Sims get lost in their thoughts and occasionally forget what they are doing, or where they are going."
Great ! I expected the Sim to start cooking something, then forget about it and see its kitchen set on fire for example... Never happens. All you can barely see about the trait is seeing your character walking randomly, then stopping and looking around a bit confused, and that's about it.

- Can't stand art: "Sims that Can't Stand Art will never appreciate the latest masterpiece of expensive home decor. They are the anti-connoisseur."
Right, how comes then that they're still having a mood-bonus for "well-decorated" rooms unless you make them notice about the paintings on the walls ? I am not asking for them to feel bad any-time they'll see a picture somewhere, but just not to be influenced by the decorum at least...

- Clumsy: "Clumsy Sims muck up both precious and every day moments in life with shoddy footwork and poor planning."
That one is the most disappointing to me. All it does is having your Sim almost fall from time to time... and that's all. It never make the dish fall on the ground while bringing it to the dining-table, or fall in the stairs, or have penalties due to its trait at work... So much expectations about it, so much frustration at the end.

- Daredevil: "Your Sim lives on the edge, and can take many things to the extreme! They also love fire."
Riiiiight... so it takes extreme showers. Any difference with a normal shower ? None. It can swim in an extreme fashion. Is it visually different ? Absolutely not. And what interraction does it have with other Sims ? "Look at that, I can eat some sand!!" WWOOOOOWWW !! U R TH3 D4R3D3V1L M4N!!!1111!!!!one!
Pointless .

- Never Nude: "Never Nudes despise nudity and will never, ever, completely remove all of their clothing."
Oooookayyy... but just one question : is there ANY situation where you will HAVE to be nude in the entire game ? Even after WooHoo, sims are keeping their wears (wich is ridiculous IMO).

There are some other traits that I didn't give a try to already, like easily impressed or excited... but I'm not even sure they have any major influence on evryday life...

As for the loser trait, there is a point of description that made me smile a bit :
- Your sim cannot be killed by anything but old age. >> Oh yeah ? I think it deserves some swimming-pool and four-walls test... We'll see about that.

I'd like to have your feeling on that matter : do you feel like me that those traits were full of potential and were finally "wasted" ? Remembering TS3 had a release delay, how comes they hadn't any time to work on them a bit more ? Or are they things those traits made able to see that I missed ?

The game remains great and full of "little things" that make me laugh to cry (seeing my childish-insane sim making its hands talk to each-other then trying to strangle him was a wonderful moment !), but it also adds some frustration on those aspects.

[EDIT] : sorry, I forgot to make a research before posting this topic... Didn't see the "pointless traits" one. If you consider it makes redundance, feel free to lock this one, but please do not erase it so I can copy/paste my message to the other one. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by invock

There are some other traits that I didn't give a try to already, like easily impressed or excited... but I'm not even sure they have any major influence on evryday life...

So far I have not noticed an effect from easily impressed but then my Sims so far are pretty much loners and the trait hints at social interaction.

Excited is .... nice .... my Sim I test for a challenge to post has almost always the mood where the lifetime happiness meter is ticking non-stop. Caught a fish .... getting excited (moodlet) ... found a rock or a seed - getting excited. Eating lame food? Get the "Exquisite Food" moodlet nonetheless ...
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 1:24 PM
Back in May, when the game was leaked, someone had some youtube videos showing the same poor sim with the loser trait being killed over and over again. Each time Death brought him back to life. Apparently Death has a sick sense of humor and keeps bringing the poor schlep back because he enjoys watching his misfortune in life.

I tried finding the video, but no luck...

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. ~ Katharine Hepburn
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 3:50 PM
I like the daredevil mood. When you eat the sand your mood will increase and you get an adrenaline rush which has you running everywhere!
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 4:38 PM
My excitable AND easily impressed Sim turned down a "enthuse about new house" interaction from her own boyfriend.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:48 PM
Some traits are close to useless...especially lots of the "social" category traits. But then also, there are some great traits that really influence your Sims lives...So really we don't need to complain...There are sure to be added traits in future EPs. So right now we can just focus on the good traits and not use the crappy ones =)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 6:40 PM
I had a sim with both absent minded and clumsy... talk about a dull sim. Haha.

I have a question though. I gave one of my sims "Coward" and another sim developed "Loser" as she was growing up, but neither of them actually show up in the lower right panel, so it looks like I just have 4 traits. What gives?

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?