Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
If your Sim has lost a loved one, don't worry just take him to a room with nice decor (+3 Happy) and you'll see his face smiling from ear to ear.

I'd just like to point out, my mother was seen smiling rather happily only a few days after her fiancé died. Mostly because the past few weeks had been spent in the hospital, watching him deteriorate and all that jazz. And she was smiling because it was finally over, the whole ordeal. So... on the one hand, you are correct in saying that this comes across as unrealistic. But there are also people who grieve differently, so... this could techncially come across as realistic, after all?

But that bothered me in Sims 3, too. When someone close to a Sim dies (Sim or Pet), they get the moodlet for two days - and you spend the two days hearing them go "Whaaaaaaaaahahaahaaaaaa!!" every few minutes. I almost want to delete the moodlet, just so I don't have to listen to it. Yes, it's sad. But you could maybe not grieve so LOUDLY? I mean, a Sim with the Overemotional Trait, there it would make sense to do that. But otherwise?
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 12:26 PM
QUOTE (originally posted by Naus Allien): "can't believe they can't play instruments". Well, that just swung it for me, if nothing else did! That was a major disappointment for me with Sims 3, and they still can't manage it now!? You'd think there was something inappropriate about kids playing music and (god forbid!) being good at it! My young niece is learning to play guitar, she's already better than I was at twice her age! Nope, definitely not bothering with Sims 4.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Field Researcher
#28 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 1:07 PM
In a word: boring. I open it up when I need something that loads quickly. I'm not really interested in having my Sims party and hook up with dates, and do nothing else. The limits on kids drive me nuts. The building interface is annoying and the mandatory flat terrain makes it nearly impossible to do an interesting lot. Ditto for the set, uncustomizeable neighborhoods. It's really obvious this was meant to be FB with Sims and not a real Sims game.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
I'd just like to point out, my mother was seen smiling rather happily only a few days after her fiancé died. Mostly because the past few weeks had been spent in the hospital, watching him deteriorate and all that jazz. And she was smiling because it was finally over, the whole ordeal. So... on the one hand, you are correct in saying that this comes across as unrealistic. But there are also people who grieve differently, so... this could techncially come across as realistic, after all?

But that bothered me in Sims 3, too. When someone close to a Sim dies (Sim or Pet), they get the moodlet for two days - and you spend the two days hearing them go "Whaaaaaaaaahahaahaaaaaa!!" every few minutes. I almost want to delete the moodlet, just so I don't have to listen to it. Yes, it's sad. But you could maybe not grieve so LOUDLY? I mean, a Sim with the Overemotional Trait, there it would make sense to do that. But otherwise?

The problem though is that the "happy" reaction has no relation to the death- it's a "happy" that the rest of the emotional moodlets have managed to override the "sad" emotion.

IMO the emotion system is a missed opportunity to play around with mixing emotions to form more complex ones.

Rather than just having happy, angry, sad, etc, imagine happiness + sadness of a loved one finally passing with a painful illness, fear + happiness of getting married, anger + sadness of being betrayed, etc.

Of course this would require a much more complex system, and I doubt the Sims series will ever do anything like this.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 9:25 PM
Naus Allien pretty much nailed it. The lack of CASt and open world, and that sims left in the non-focused areas have terrible AI, really hurt the game for me. The forced mini-games for parties, dates, etc. don't help either. I didn't care for the job mini-games in Sims Medieval, but at least they made sense from a game perspective. Now I feel like I'm forced to do specific actions for events, which turns fun free-form possibilities into a monotony.
Theorist
#31 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 2:02 PM
I allow myself a wry smile for each comment mentioning Ts3 on the Ts4 thread, while, barring this thread, Ts4 never gets mentioned here, because it's completely insignificant.
Indirectly, Ts4 makes Ts3 a better game, as there are lots of new object conversions to put into the game (thanks Sandy) but it's a shame that a few good people don't come here on the Ts3 forums anymore because of Ts4, such as Inge. This makes me slightly bitter. But I know that we made the right choice to stay here as Ts3 gets better every single day, and the 'sequel' will never, ever catch up to it.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
#32 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 1:10 AM
Pros?
+ The sims' appearances are easier to customize. My sims didn't have sameface, which has always been a problem in the past.
+ You can be a space pirate.
+ Secret Locations are back! Unfortunately there aren't many, but I did miss them from TS2.
+ While the texture customization is removed (a major negative), the base-game clothing options are much more diverse than TS3's- and you can customize with hats, boots, etc. too.
+ Preset outfits you can choose from for when you just don't care.
+ Flexible gender binary! Yes! Yess! Thank you!!

Cons:
- ORIGIN. I uninstalled it because my computer was performing poorly and lo and behold, it ran exponentially faster. I own a disc copy of TS4. That's ridiculous. No pro, nothing can make me go back to it. Nothing. I'm not subjecting my poor laptop to that again.
- "Neighborhoods", the lackluster replacement for open worlds. They're cramped, awkward, and I have like 50 Sims jogging past my house daily?
- THE EMOTIONS SYSTEM CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL.
- Want to do good on your painting career? Well, you have to be in the "creative" mood- no big deal, right? Wrong. You have to battle any other moods your sim may pick up in the morning while also trying to get a "creative" moodlet that will last as long as possible, all before going to work- and once that runs out, tough luck. Sure, there's an option to "search for inspiration" or some such, but you don't improve work performance as much as you would just working hard and the Inspired moodlet only shows up once you get home.
- No one has any personality. Traits- which you can only have three of- do next to nothing. Have a "Gloomy" sim? He'll occasionally get a random moodlet for the "sad" mood- which counts as a "negative" mood, so the "happy" state will probably overwrite it. Speaking of which, sims don't get negative emotions. They'll get moodlets for them once in a blue moon, but everything makes them happy. Good meal? Happy. Nice decor? Happy.
- Being in an "emotion" overwrites everything about a sim. Every "Happy" sim looks the same, every "flirty" sim looks the same... Have a loner type? Well, after they watch a kids show or get told a few jokes, they're instantly in the "playful" mood and bouncing around the house with the exact same animations as everyone else.
- It's just... lifeless. Boredom ended every play session a few hours in. Challenges, cheats... Nothing helped. It's flat. There's no soul.
- $60 for this trash. $60. Just get TS3 on Steam- it's only $20! You could get TS3 and two expansions for the price of TS4!
Field Researcher
#33 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 1:33 AM
I tried playing the sims 4, but I found the characters much less life like than that of the sims 3 (plus the weird walking styles were odd in TS4) and I also can't stand the fact that clothing and hair in the sims 4 isn't customizable with colors and such like the sims 3 (how you can pick literally any color for clothes and hairs along with tons of patterns for hairs) The only thing I liked about the sims 4 better than the sims 3 was how you could change wall heights but other than that, I found the sims 4 very unrealistic looking and not to my OCD coloring likings XP
Inventor
#34 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by themysteriouscorn
The only thing I liked about the sims 4 better than the sims 3 was how you could change wall heights but other than that, I found the sims 4 very unrealistic looking and not to my OCD coloring likings XP

You can change wall heights in Sims 3 using constrainfloorelevation. Granted, it's much harder to use than the tools provided in Sims 4, but it's there nonetheless. In fact, whether it's with a mod or a hidden feature in-game, you can do pretty much everything you can do in Sims 4.
Scholar
#35 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 2:48 PM
tried a while. Not really interested in game, however it is interesting as a social/cultural phenomena, including "developers' generation change" as gladly says my friend (this one which daughter borrowed me her laptop with Sims4 to try).

Traditional (it *is* a Sims' developing tradition indeed) crappy project, underdeveloped enviroment, not really tested software (who tests anything nowadays? we have early access, righ? testers for free), few interesting ideas executed as badly as it was expected, and as usual - no real customisation for player. I mean - 'ya know its 2016 and it's kind of "simulation game" and we still cannot even adjust basic elements of game like *basisc*: interface size/proportion, font, aligment of popups and theirs size... details. They're matters.

And you still are able to crash the whole application with mod. Oh man...

And Origin ofc. Go to hell.

It's not really "step forward", "step back" neither, it's just "jump into mud", a cashy one; right. Why complains anyway? And who cares?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Instructor
#36 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 4:15 PM
The Sims 4 came with awesome objects and CAS and i loved it fir few months then it got boring. I tried playing it later but i couldn't. The biggest deal breaker was the semi-open world, i was like you either give me access to one lot or to the whole world, nothing in between.
I now play TS2 and TS3 but i have a lot of stuff for TS4 in them.

I need a cigarette
Page 2 of 2