Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#51 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:46 PM
Thanks, newlibertysims! I wanted the tea table in this shop and there was really only room for one more table, so expanding out to the outdoor area seemed like a good idea. Especially since this building was more compact than the others anyway, which left a perfect space for it.

That mirror may or may not stay, depending on whether sims decide to drive me cray cray by using it a bit too much.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#52 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 3:20 PM Last edited by tangie0906 : 5th Jul 2017 at 5:40 PM.
Sorry I missed your question, @newlibertysims!

I haven't made my restaurant yet so I am still pondering the same thing. I have multiple choices for making restaurants (just sort of thinking out loud here):

1. Use NRAAS Cupcake and select recipes to be offered (like I did with my Pizza Parlor on my Theater lot, or my Bakery/Bookstore). Super simple to use but doesn't really work as a venue owned by a sim you are playing.

2. Use the ITF cafeteria object which will spawn a waiter/waitress (I tried this is another saved game and you have to be careful because any table on the lot, even if it's not in your eatery, is fair game for sims to order food from and eat!). Again, not a scenario for active play. Also IME kind of hit or miss as to whether waiter will wait on your sims. Waiter will also wander around the lot.

3. Use a RH rug for the Bistro or Diner and stick that in an empty room. Then build my restaurant around it and use Icarus_Allsorts Eat Outside Restaurants Mod. So far one of my favorites. Super simple again, and I can have any style of open restaurant I want and even stick a LN bar in there (although sims will also order food from the bar).

4. Use Ani's Business As Unusual mod which vastly improves the Store's version. Need to either categorize it as a Hangout or pair it with a RH that attracts visitors.

Ani's Business As Unusual mod is the one I have played around with the least. I need to experiment with that one soon. I think what I will do is to pair it with a grocery store for now, since I was thinking I would re-make my grocery. Or maybe I will make a grocery/gas station/diner using Ani's Business as Unusual mod. Yeah, that's what I will do. So there's an idea for you! Or you could just categorize it as a Hangout to attract visitors.

Edit: As an alternative, I am thinking about using Option 3 for the Bistro and Option 4 for my Diner. Since the Diner is open 24 hours I will need a lot of chef and waitress sims, but I could try assigning my chefs to the ovens using Zerbu's open career mod for the Culinary Career. IOW, sims that actually work in that career I would assign to be chef's in my open restaurant.

Or I could do the opposite and use the Bistro for my open careers in Culinary. That would require just a few sims as wait staff for the Diner, and maybe not need as many sims to work there. Hmmmm...will give this some more thought! But those venues won't have to be paired with anything because the Bistro and Diner RH rugs will also be placed on the lot and those attract sims.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Theorist
Original Poster
#53 Old 8th Jul 2017 at 4:11 AM
@newlibertysims when you use the Business as Unusual mod, do you find that sims will order food over and over again? The same sims, I mean. I had a venue where the original Bus As Usual from the Store was set up and hardly any sims showed up and the one or two sims who did kept ordering from the menus over and over again. And the cooks would never show up and kept getting replaced over and over. I know that Ani's mod is so much better behaved than the regular mod so I still need to set that up and give it a try.

That's good to know that the lot will attract sims - I assume you also have to classify it as a Bistro or a Diner for that to work? Since I like to combine lots of various kinds, and I also use the opportunities in some games, so far I prefer to use the RH rugs.

Laura's Legacy
Site Helper
#55 Old 8th Jul 2017 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
@tangie0906 I haven't had any issues with sims ordering repeatedly, so it looks like Ani's mod squishes that particular glitch.

Since I haven't added any other businesses to it yet, it's just the diner that's on that lot. And I set it to No Visitors Allowed. How do you classify it as a Bistro or Diner? Did you mean with the RH rugs?

Unless your game is at a REALLY old patch level, when you designate a lot as a Community lot you get a dropdown menu that lists various lot types. If you don't like the kind of community lot, Change Lot Type again, select Commercial again, and pick a different one. Bistro and Diner should be two of the options. (No, auto-correct, I'm NOT trying to say "Dinner" )

The rugs just add a miniature rabbithole which is a lot easier to put inside a shell that suits your world, or to put all the rabbitholes into a single 64x64 community lot if you're getting tired of building now.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Theorist
Original Poster
#56 Old 10th Jul 2017 at 6:17 AM
Yes, that was my bad. No bistro or diner option on the pull-down menu.

When I have a lot with those venues by themselves (or when it's an EA created lot) it's generally categorized as 'no visitors allowed'. Which seems odd, but it's usually the RH (building or rug) that includes the function of bringing in sims through the way it's been coded. I have no idea why sims would show up on a lot that was just classified as 'no visitors allowed' but contains the Business as (Un)Usual items on the lot unless those objects are also somehow coded to draw sims to them.

Or, sims showing up could be the 'stalker' function at work that is coded in the game, in which any time you have a sim in your household visiting a lot and you are focused on them with the camera, then sims that are free will be drawn to the lot (unless your PC processor isn't very strong or they are otherwise occupied).

But this is what is entertaining me at the moment - creating lots that have no specific function or way to draw sims to them and combining them with RH's (rugs) that do draw sims to them. Most of the lots I've made are 20x30. The largest I've made was the theater lot I showed on the first page, and that one is 20x40. So basically I'm trying to keep my multi-function lots relatively small since they draw more sims than usual.

@newlibertysims that's good to know that the lot functions better with the Business as Unusual modded items. I'm hoping to get time to make my grocery/diner lot this week so I can test it out.

Laura's Legacy
Theorist
Original Poster
#57 Old 12th Jul 2017 at 10:31 PM
Sounds good! Look forward to how things go. I still haven't started building mine.

One way to tell if it's the objects pulling sims to the lot is whether you see sims you are not playing go there. If your own sim(s) aren't visiting the lot but a steady stream of unplayed sims are visiting the lot then there might be some kind of coding that is helping that happen. Normally I don't see any sims visit a "no visitors allowed" lot unless it's a rabbit hole lot.

Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#58 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 8:14 PM
I can't take my eyes off your shining lot. Good work on building&designing it!
Mad Poster
#59 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 11:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
I might take a while myself. I'm in a bit of a Simming rut right now. Life's kind of in the way. I'm sure I'll get out of it soon. Just one of those phases. And yes, it's mostly townies that showed up at the diner.

Oh, I get that too. For me it's simple, I'm a perfectionist. I just look for something in the game that I think really sucks, then I MUST FIX IT.
Think these chicks look stupid? Me too. So I did that thing I do where I browse Google Images for 3 hours, and then I got to work on their place. And then I did them. Now they're better.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
Original Poster
#60 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I just created another multi-fuctional lot in Riverview consisting of a gym, bar, and a hotel. But sims only use the bar b/c they're all drunkards.

I know I'm late asking this, but I was wondering how you had your lot classified? I've put bars in gyms many times but sims only eat there when they get hungry. If you have it categorized as a Hangout, I could see why they'd use the bar more than the other things on the lot. Thinking out loud here, I'm not sure how I would classify a hotel if I had one. Seems like a Resort would be the most appropriate option but that has its own drawbacks.

Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#61 Old 31st Oct 2019 at 7:59 PM
Bump (interesting thread; yeah I know it's 2 years old, but too useful of a toss-up). Anybody tried making a lot type (park one?) that spawns Showtime stage with a sport stadium lot to have concerts and other show hosts going in and out the building?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 1st Nov 2019 at 12:49 AM
A bit dumbfound it's two years old thread. Felt like it wasn't that long since I seen it active.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Page 3 of 3