Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:18 PM
'Portable' Computer
I saved up my sims funds to get that 'portable' laptop, as I'd love my sim to have it on her when she gets out of work, so she can go to parks and beaches and just chill out, yet still use her computer. However, I can't seem to figure out how she takes it out of the house and uses it. I've tried putting it in her family inventory, but that only stores it. I can't access it when not at home like all the NPC sims I meet, who use their computers. Drives me batty to see them using theirs at a grill-a-thon or other event, when I can't use mine.

Does anyone know how I make the laptop truly portable?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:20 PM
You have to put it in your sim inventory, not the family inventory
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:21 PM
It has to be in your personal inventory which is in a different tab. Search through the menus and you will find it. Its where you see the cell phone. Be careful with those though... Sims are often wasteful enough to leave the computer and go home at parks. Mine does it all the time, and no they don't have forgetfulness trait.

I am, "The Man". I will get you down... Don't stick it to me... "Drink milk and be non-puntable"
Thank you Mimewhite for making the Seph trench coat.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:25 PM
I've tried that, but the inventory won't take the computer when I try to drag and drop it in. How do I get it into the personal inventory?

Quote: Originally posted by Ravvid: Phase -0
It has to be in your personal inventory which is in a different tab. Search through the menus and you will find it. Its where you see the cell phone. Be careful with those though... Sims are often wasteful enough to leave the computer and go home at parks. Mine does it all the time, and no they don't have forgetfulness trait.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:26 PM
Sometimes when that happens, you have to make them get on it then cancel whatever action like "play games". They automatically put it back in their inventory. Go figure.

I am, "The Man". I will get you down... Don't stick it to me... "Drink milk and be non-puntable"
Thank you Mimewhite for making the Seph trench coat.
Inventor
#6 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeverett
I've tried that, but the inventory won't take the computer when I try to drag and drop it in. How do I get it into the personal inventory?

When I first tried to put the computer in my personal inventory that happened to me, too. But then I tried again and put the item over another item and it worked. You can also take the portable radio with you and use it when in the town.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:45 AM
I hate to be a nudge, but how do you get the hand tool when not in buy or build mode? I can't pick up the thing to put it in inventory.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:01 AM
You don't need the hand tool. Just click and drag.
Inventor
#9 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:27 PM
Yep, if it can be put in inventory, you will get an arrow icon that has a hand attached to it.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:11 PM
I am having a similar problem - on certain lots (Gazebo in Riverview), my Sim can use the laptop directly from her inventory. At home, I have to manually take it out and place it on the table before she can use it. And on several community lots (Bistro in Riverview, some of the smaller parks), she can't use it at all!
Instructor
#11 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:45 PM
heh, you can buy the portable PC OR you can befriend your boss, invite him over, let him start playing a game on it at your desk then kick him out before he puts it away poof, free laptop for Pacer!

My policy is: If you have any complaints about anything at all...I hate you.