Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 3:36 AM
Default Horses in community lots...WTF?

Why are there horses wandering around my town all by themselves, wandering into community lots and doing as they please? WTF, EA? Horses live in fields and stables, they don't stop off to do a bit of shopping on their way to pick up a latte.

Is there a way to turn this off or a town-wide 'no horses' gnome or something. I feel like I'm playing in one of those wild Chick-Fil-A commercials with disco-going cattle.
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 3:52 AM
If they're wild horses, and you are using a town you can open in CAW, you can set the "City" flag
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 5:08 AM
Apparently cities are still getting deer and wild horses running around, so I don't think that'll do anything (until/unless they fix it).
Scholar
#4 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 5:10 AM
If you dislike it enough to spend some time, try building fences around your more problematic city lots and put one-block-wide gates in them (NOT double gates). The horses will still roam the street but they shouldn't be able to get on the lots themselves.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
If they're wild horses, and you are using a town you can open in CAW, you can set the "City" flag

Thanks Is there any down side to that? Will I suddenly be invaded by a fleet of vampire-driven taxis hauling around a herd of celebrities, or will it just get rid of the wild life? I do rather like the turtles in the parks and whatnot, just not great big horses running about willy nilly.
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Thanks Is there any down side to that? Will I suddenly be invaded by a fleet of vampire-driven taxis hauling around a herd of celebrities, or will it just get rid of the wild life? I do rather like the turtles in the parks and whatnot, just not great big horses running about willy nilly.

It has a lot of side effects (Food Trucks!) -- you can read about that here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=424374

Taxis yes, but I don't think you get any more or less vampires or celebs, they're everywhere. Different sound effects, different work hours for many jobs, etc etc.

However, this may not even remove the wildlife, if KaiRuh is right I was just going by what we were told before release, heh.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 9:30 AM

Why are there horses wandering around my town all by themselves, wandering into community lots and doing as they please? WTF, EA? Horses live in fields and stables, they don't stop off to do a bit of shopping on their way to pick up a latte.

Is there a way to turn this off or a town-wide 'no horses' gnome or something. I feel like I'm playing in one of those wild Chick-Fil-A commercials with disco-going cattle.

I have to agree, I like the thought of horses, but down the main city street? Think of all that manure!!
Alchemist
#8 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 1:15 PM
Yeah, the town I'm playing, Brooklyn Heights, is zoned as a city. And I have wild horses and deer bounding around.

Field Researcher
#9 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 4:29 PM
Wild horses are nice when they are seen somewhere outside the town, but, well, they're quite annoying when they enter your yard and run there I'd never like to experience this IRL, LOL. I played the Bird Sisters household today, and there were 5 wild horses running around! They're difficult to befriend, I had both sister spend a few sim hours trying to do this, and I failed, still the horses kept running through the yard again and again.
Instructor
#10 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SommarBlomma
Wild horses are nice when they are seen somewhere outside the town, but, well, they're quite annoying when they enter your yard and run there I'd never like to experience this IRL, LOL. I played the Bird Sisters household today, and there were 5 wild horses running around! They're difficult to befriend, I had both sister spend a few sim hours trying to do this, and I failed, still the horses kept running through the yard again and again.

You can easily befriend them if your Sim has enough Wildlife Skill (hidden). They'll accept every interaction. Of course, this won't make them less annoying. And you still can't ride them unless you adopt them - which is just WRONG imo.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 7:16 PM
ahahahhha All you tidy city-folk out there..... Out here on the real life, RURAL, rez, the horses are ALWAYS getting out and galloping down the roads. So are the cows and deer and moose and elk and cougars, etc. So EA is true to form and the Appaloosa town story is that there were all those appaloosa's running around and horse lover's decided to move in on them...
Instructor
#12 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 7:23 PM
Learn to build fences. ;P

*ducks*
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 8:12 PM
Is it not possible to delete the spawners for the deer and the stray horses?
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Is it not possible to delete the spawners for the deer and the stray horses?

That is an excellent question. Anyone know if this is possible without being proficient with CAW?
Theorist
#15 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 11:45 PM
I've briefly played some custom worlds that were created and released before Pets came out, and they've been getting wild horses, deer, and racoons. They probably automatically spawn the collectible critters, too, but I haven't noticed those yet (only played for a few sim days).

So, in other words, the pets apparently don't need spawners to spawn in the first place. Our only hope is some talented modder out there that can figure out a way to keep them out. Twallan's mods can keep out celebs and vampires so I'm hoping he'll work his magic on pets.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 11:50 PM
I just rememberd a while ago when the whole 'wild horses' thing was announced people were worried about exactly this. Horses just wandering around the cities and towns.

Didn't EA tell us that they favoured big parks and fishing spots? Maybe if there are any of these in the town area you can change what they're zoned as to make them small parks. It may not attract as many horses. Or I guess you could go around placed No Horse gnomes on every downtown lot in a hidden location and hope that it may stop them heading that way entirely. It's a lot of hassel though, and chances are they'll still make their way down the streets, just not the lots.

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Theorist
#17 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 12:02 AM
I'm going to try those gnomes, but I read someone say that they didn't work on commercial lots.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 2:27 AM
That is an excellent question. Anyone know if this is possible without being proficient with CAW?

I don't think that deer, raccoons and wild horses come from spawners. They're not collectibles... they're sims, and generated like NPC sims. I'm sure they can be modded, but it's like modding paparazzi. You could try taking a look through the XML files
Field Researcher
#19 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 2:46 AM
Its getting so annoying EA should have made it where horses couldn't just wonder in town like this...with all the wild horses wondering around you would think it was stray cats and dogs....It was bad enough in TS2 strays coming in community lots destroying the furniture at the restaurants until the pets patch cameout.
Scholar
#20 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 2:47 AM
Actually I find it amusing, so I'm pretty glad they did.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 11:50 AM
The answer seems to lie in the XML files. When you experience wild horses being on community lots are there specific lots you're noticing? It seems they like Big Parks, Small Parks, Beachs and FishingSpots. I could try dropping the weights for all lots to 0 and see if that stops them although both parks are set at 2 so they shouldn't show up as often on those lots to begin with.