Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 6:20 AM
Default Alchemy ingredients storage?
Is there any mod or item in game that I've missed that can store your ingredients and have the alchemy station use them for elixers automatically? I'm sick of my sims having so much stuff in their inventory and it would be nice if they could share their ingredients between the household, like in a communal cupboard. In fact would it be possible to make the station stockable? I'm kind of surprised EA didn't think of that themselves... wait, no I'm not.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 6:36 AM
Put the ingredients in your family inventory.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 6:49 AM Last edited by yilesse : 16th Sep 2012 at 7:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by twallan
Put the ingredients in your family inventory.

Thank you! It's been driving me mad having to wade through all those gems and butterflies to find what I want.

EDIT to add, I'd still love a stockable alchemy station, transfering stuff over to family inventory is laborious or is there a quick cheaty way to do it that I don't know rather than laying it all out individually on the floor then picking it up again?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 7:12 AM
If you happen to have [MasterController], there should be an interaction called "NRaas \ Master Controller \ Transfer" when you click on the wall or roof of your lot that allows you to transfer objects to and from the family inventory.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 7:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twallan
If you happen to have [MasterController], there should be an interaction called "NRaas \ Master Controller \ Transfer" when you click on the wall or roof of your lot that allows you to transfer objects to and from the family inventory.

Aaah yes, I do have your mod, I never used that function before though, thanks for the heads up, alchemy just got fun again :D
Instructor
#6 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 10:34 AM
So your mod makes the alchemy station use the ingredients directly from the family inventory? I use the shelves that came witht the game but that means I have to manually take out the ingredients I want every time I want to mix an elixir. Unfortunately it doesn't work like Treeag's "store all..." mods. The sim walks over to the shelf and then store all the insects, elixirs, gems, metals, etc. The only stuff that won't store automatically are some of the new "harvestables" like wolfsbane etc.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by virgalibabe
So your mod makes the alchemy station use the ingredients directly from the family inventory?

I think Twallan was saying that the game already uses the ingredients from family inventory. You just need MC to be able to move objects directly from sim inventory to family inventory, without placing them in the world first.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 9:36 PM
What Srikandi said.

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 5:54 AM
Actually, I used Twallan's mod also, but it is still inconvenient when it comes to mixing elixirs. If we could store ingredients directly in the alchemy station, then we could say "make this elixir" and not have to go back and forth to get the ingredients. They would already be there, we could just click on the elixir that we wanted...easy!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by runesong54
Actually, I used Twallan's mod also, but it is still inconvenient when it comes to mixing elixirs. If we could store ingredients directly in the alchemy station, then we could say "make this elixir" and not have to go back and forth to get the ingredients. They would already be there, we could just click on the elixir that we wanted...easy!

Agreed. That's the way all the "crafting" stations are in Medieval, so I know they could have done it. When I saw the alchemy station, I assumed that was probably how it would work, seeing as it looks very much like the crafting stations in Medieval, but why would they go and do something that makes so much sense
Test Subject
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 8:44 PM
I'm glad I am not the only one having problems with having all those ingredients in the personal inventory and that someone pointed me to this post. I'll try the family inventory with the MC option to transfer stuff, but I also rather have the choice to store all I need in the station.
Inventor
#12 Old 23rd Sep 2012 at 12:31 PM
The game automatically transfers all the needed magical ingredients from the witch/er's to the family inventory *if you don't play her/his household*. So the mechanism is there, they just forgot (?) to include it in an active household.
Instructor
#13 Old 24th Sep 2012 at 2:27 AM
Um, the alchemist bookcase that you can put potions on the shelves, if you click the cabinet at the bottom of it- you can store gems, potions and herbs. Also chemistry potions can be placed on the shelves too. I hope this helps anyone who reads this.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 7:28 AM
I did not know that!! Thanks for the tip, it let's you create stuff right from that!
Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Sep 2012 at 6:43 PM
In addition to the alchemist bookcase mentioned above, they now have an insect storing case in the same location as the bookcase in buy mode.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 26th Sep 2012 at 6:52 PM
Things disappear from my family inventory. I'm not sure why that is happening....
Forum Resident
#17 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by psivampyr
Um, the alchemist bookcase that you can put potions on the shelves, if you click the cabinet at the bottom of it- you can store gems, potions and herbs. Also chemistry potions can be placed on the shelves too. I hope this helps anyone who reads this.

when I click the alchemy cabinet, I only see the option to store gem, metal and potion. No store herb (herb means wolfsbane, mandrake root, etc, right?).
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kithri
Things disappear from my family inventory. I'm not sure why that is happening....

Definitely a bug :O

Are you switching households? Is this with or without mods?

If you can replicate this in a mod-free game, I'd take it to the Help forums. Otherwise, you'll have to narrow down which mod is causing it.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Definitely a bug :O

Are you switching households? Is this with or without mods?

If you can replicate this in a mod-free game, I'd take it to the Help forums. Otherwise, you'll have to narrow down which mod is causing it.

Yes, I use many of Twallan's mods, several of Cmo's and Buzzler's, and a smattering of other's. (About 9 aside from Twallan's.) I have a boatload of custom content, most from here, actually. And I'm not switching households. I've lost several items during moves and never get any more wedding presents or Imaginary Friends. I've sort of been switching out/removing mods in a half-azzed way, trying to figure it out slowly as I go. But no idea yet.

Guess I should take it to the Help forums.

I've just sort of learned to keep nothing valuable in the family inventory and to sell all furniture in every move. Sigh. Thank goodness for those WA chests! Those have been quite reliable.

"Curiouser and curiouser! cried Alice...Now I’m opening out like the largest telescope that ever was! Good-bye, feet!..." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Stop by my Facebook page or visit my website, kithri's curious kreations, for more unexpected Sims 2 and 3 things. Remember to click Like. ^^
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#20 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anak_ponti
when I click the alchemy cabinet, I only see the option to store gem, metal and potion. No store herb (herb means wolfsbane, mandrake root, etc, right?).
you can still put your herbs in there, just not all at once. click "Open" and then your inventory pops up, and you can place them in storage that way
Test Subject
#21 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 3:50 PM
Mind Blown, been playing for months, never knew about family inventory tip, or the new cabinets. Thanks for all the useful info !!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kithri
I've lost several items during moves and never get any more wedding presents or Imaginary Friends"

Just got married, can write "thank you notes" but got no gifts. O.o Had a baby, got no imaginary friend. (Not to bummed bout that) As usual, I have no idea why.

Day before yesterday my game was working fine. Just got Twallans tattoo mod- was working great. Then suddenly yesterday it all went to crap. No presents, no chest tattoos. *sigh*

As for the alchemy cupboard:
I've tried that cupboard. All it does is store. You still have to go to the cupboard and take out what you need when making a potion. HIGHLY annoying because first you have to click on "make" to see what you need, then cancel and then go to the cupboard take what you need and go back to the station.

Clearly EA has stopped thinking things through in certain aspects of game play.
EA is also really starting to annoy me with the assumption that EVERYBODY has access to uncapped/fast home internet to download their crap through the launcher. Some of us don't have that. (South Africa doesn't know the meaning of fast/cost effective internet)
Test Subject
#23 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 10:07 PM
I use Buzzler's seed box that is available from download here to store all of my stuff in.
Instructor
#24 Old 2nd Nov 2012 at 6:48 PM
Also the WA boxes can be used for storing things. I use one kind for each type of thing I am storing. I also have a recolored one in the kitchen to hold extra food or food I don't want cooked (Life fruit pancakes).
Test Subject
#25 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 9:08 AM
A quicker way to see what you need to make for a certain potion is to go to your sims skill tab, then click on the skill journal for Alchemy. It's much quicker and you don't have to go to the alchemy station to look

Another note on the alchemy cupboard, if you decide to move your sims to a new house and "pack all furniture" it'll automatically remove the potions on display and put it into your household inventory, and "most" of the stored items. I had discovered after moving, that I had lost every "herb" type stored, as well as all my poison apples and mushrooms. It did however keep all my gems/dust, metals, and insects for some reason. I was rather upset about this, as I had lost a very large chunk of ingredients

So if you decide to move to a new house, you might be safer removing it all into your inventory