Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 12:24 AM Last edited by AmandieLove : 25th Jun 2016 at 3:56 AM. Reason: Edit title so thread can be found by more people with different questions it answers
Default Intel HD FPS Limit & The Benefits of More RAM
I haven't been here in a while, but I need some help.

I got a new laptop that's great for Sims 3. The only problem is that it uses Intel graphics 520 on the Intel i5-6200U processor. The only problem I have had is that I cannot find am FPS limiter or profile customizer like nVidia inspector that works with the Intel HD graphics. The one program from Intel I was using (the graphics analyzer for developers) randomly quit working. I also cannot use 3booter or 3D Guru's FPS Limiter because I am stuck on 1.69 unless I repurchase all my expansions on disc and buy an external disc drive (which I would rather not spend the money on). I still need an FPS limiter so my computer will last longer. Is there one I can use for Intel integrated graphics, or am I out of luck? Also, if all else fails, will upping my graphics settings be a worthwhile makeshift FPS limiter (since rendering things in better detail gives fewer FPS)?

EDIT: I found a way to force vSync on in the Intel HD graphics settings. It caps it at 60 and doesn't go much, if any, above it. Not perfect, but if it'll keep my computer safe, I'm happy with it.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 12:56 AM
Have you tried dxtory?
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 8:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
lol Intel HD is not capable of going above 60 fps. You'll be lucky to get 20 fps on TS3 (on full graphics setting), so don't worry about it.

I'm not really sure it's about being capable or not, but to be sure and be safe, if I was the OP I'd check it while in game, just open cheat box Ctrl+Shift+C and type "FPS on", the actual FPS that currently in progress, it will be shown on the top right of the screen..

Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
The only problem is that it uses Intel graphics 520 on the Intel i5-6200U processor. The one program from Intel I was using (the graphics analyzer for developers) randomly quit working. I also cannot use 3booter or 3D Guru's FPS Limiter because I am stuck on 1.69

I don't know was it because your TS3 is 1.69 so FPS limiter with 3booter set up won't work or crashing, but I used 3booter myself in my laptop for playing TS3 (and Nvidia Inspector when in CAW to open EID), my laptop has dual switchable graphics and my TS3 patch is 1.67, but it just crashed when running FPS limiter via 3booter in my previous Win 7, I'm still not sure what the real cause really was but I'm assuming it's not compatible with dual switchable graphic set up for laptop. But then after I moved up to Win 10, it works just fine with dual switchable graphic, I don't know why it work now with Win 10 why it didn't with Win 7.

So since your laptop have the newest line up Intel graphics 520 on the Intel i5-6200U processor, in theory.. you shouldn't have experiencing like I did with dual switchable gpus compatibility, but since your game is 1.69, maybe that was the cause why 3booter won't work with TS3 1.69 launcher (because 1.69 can't skipped the launcher), have you tried using the FPS Limiter without 3booter? You know the FPS Limiter 0.2 without the 3booter, I'm sure I got it here from MTS longtime ago before I got the one with 3booter I just don't remember where it's located. I don't know about how you set up your Windows OS, but for my OS to be able to run the FPS Limiter 0.2 and go in to its menu to set up what program I would run with it, I have to have Java installed. Just try to set it up to the launcher (Sims3LauncherW.exe instead of TS3W.exe), and then if it runs, check it from in game mode with "FPS on" from the cheatbox, hopefully it works for you
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 6:58 PM
@PapaEmy

Yup. I can't skip the launcher, and that's why 3Booter is out.

@nitromon

Intel HD ain't nearly as good as a modern dedicated card, but it has come a long way. On low-medium settings I get FPS ranging from 10-or-so to over 100 FPS depending on what I'm doing. With my vSync forced on it hovers from 58-60 FPS more consistently unless something like moving the camera is truly slowing it down. The Intel HD actually runs better than the dedicated nVidia card in my old laptop did (though only because that card is from 2006 and has severe overhearing problems)

EDIT: It also helps that all my CPU cores are unparked when I'm plugged into power, and that I use Razer Cortex to disable a few unnecessary-for-gaming processes. I have no experience with upgrading RAM but I have considered upgrading my 4 GB to the max 8 GB, if only because iTunes is such a memory hog and crashes every 5 minutes when all I needed to do is download my music to put into a GOOD media player.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 5:18 AM
I upped my screen resolution today and that slowed stuff down. I also tried upping tree and sim detail. I kept tree detail up but had to take sim detail back down to medium because the game was so slow.

I seem to be getting variations in the FPS based on neighborhood. For example, Sunset Valley and Licky Palms were fairly fast today but Sims University has so many lag and routing problems it's a joke. Whoever made the routing must have had one too many shots of "juice" the night before.

Part of me hates Intel graphics, but the other part of me knows I'm broke and need to wait until I can get an upgrade worth having. It's still better than my old laptop's card, the GeForce Go 7950 GTX. It's processor ran at 1.8 Ghz max and had 4GB of DDR2 ram. Remember, this was a top of the line gaming PC back in 2006. My new one's processor runs about 2.3 Ghz; it still only has 4 GB of ram, but it's faster DDR3, so that is still an improvement.

Is there any way to use a laptop as a monitor and keyboard combo for a gaming desktop other than remote connection and hogging my dorm bandwidth? If that is possible I may get a mid-range gaming desktop and get better TS3 performance (not to mention keep me from accidentally playing the game on battery).

EDIT: If my last question gets a reply, I will likely append the title of this thread to reflect the addition of this topic. That way it's easier for newbies and those using search engines and the site search function to find answers to that question,

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 4:31 PM
Thank you for posting the Neoseeker guide; I recently saw it on another thread and it's so awesome!

Upgrading the RAM on my laptop will be much cheaper if it's enough. Also, I got this laptop through a scholarship program and other recipients plan to upgrade their RAM too, so maybe they can send some pictures and a tutorial. Thank you.

By the way, does Crucial have good RAM? It has a system detector for what may work... Maybe I can just apply its findings to my eBay search.

Instructor
#10 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 5:38 PM
By the way, does Crucial have good RAM? It has a system detector for what may work... Maybe I can just apply its findings to my eBay search.

You know with latest Core i5 generation that you have in your laptop, your processor actually supports up to 64GB of rams if I remember it correctly and it also supports DDR4 (if your motherboard supports it), mine was i3 3rd gen but upgraded with i7 3rd gen and it actually support up to 32GB DDR3 & DDR3L (low voltage), now since you mentioned above that it have the DDR3 installed, now it's the right time to get DDR3 because it's the cheapest time to get them, when the DDR4 price went down usually the older generation's price goes up..

So I would suggest you do some research 1st for what kind of RAM fits your laptop better, I also have upgraded my laptop RAMS with 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600Mhz though it actually can run 32GB, but there's no 32GB (2x16GB) for DDR3 available so 16GB is the best I can get for my laptop, but if your laptop happen to have the DDR4 installed instead of DDR3 as you mentioned it above, the DDR4 module have the 16GB per module, so if it's a DDR4 just take your time because its price is coming down and you have plenty option to think what best for your laptop, but if it's DDR3 then you might better get them asap before their price went up

And as for your processor, don't worry too much about it, it's a good processor with the newest Intel HD Graphic comes in it.. is not bad for gaming.. even for new games, it actually can play most game from low to med setting, but for TS3 I would suggest to somehow find a way for the FPS limiter to work in your case, I don't have 1.69 myself, but I think if you have the FPS Limiter 0.2 copy, you can set it up to launch automatically with your TS3 Launcher, and just check it from in game to make sure it is working when game in progress
Instructor
#11 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 5:52 PM
Edited:

This the FPS Limiter I was talking about, I just forgot where did I get this one.. lol, but I think it should work for 1.69, just need some tweak to make it works with TS3 launcher instead of TS3W.exe
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 6:34 PM
@PapaEmy thanks for the suggestions. I'm likely to be more restricted by the mobo's max ram than the processor's max ram, though.

So my system has 4 GB ram, 3.8 GB useful. With Razer Cortex freeing up almost 500 MB of ram and with origin open (since my game is a dumb digital download, sadly), up to 38% of memory is in use. That leaves my game with a max of 2.356 GB ram or less. Not particularly good... So I will likely upgrade my ram to the max my motherboard supports.

Also for PapaEmy, the problem is that the FPS limiter is still tied to a specific exe. When trying an Intel graphics analyzer for developers, I found that starting the sims 3 actually takes you on a wild goose chase of executables. I wish I had thought to take a screenshot.

1. Origin
2. Sims3Launcher (or the "W" version)
3. TS3 (or the "W" version)

Somewhere along this path, EA's activation UI program (separate from origin, maybe a leftover of pre-Origin DRM) pops up too.

This is why only FPS limiters based upon the graphics drivers, such as nVidia Inspector or the Intel HD settings, work with 1.69.

That's also why I can no longer use the FPS limiter and frame analyzer that showed me that... It worked once, but after that time, keeps getting hung up on one of the executables prior to TS3 and doesn't latch on to TS3.

Also, what's the difference between TS3 and TS3W?

Instructor
#14 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 7:32 PM
Also for PapaEmy, the problem is that the FPS limiter is still tied to a specific exe. When trying an Intel graphics analyzer for developers, I found that starting the sims 3 actually takes you on a wild goose chase of executables. I wish I had thought to take a screenshot.

Also, what's the difference between TS3 and TS3W?

I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly, but not that I know though, with FPS Limiter 0.2 I mentioned above, I can also run FPS Limiter for my old game Company of Heroes (CoH), as you can see the batch file I created in the screenshot above, the problem with CoH why I run FPS limiter to play CoH because it seems like it's not compatible with dual switchable gpus in my laptop whether in my previous Win7 or the current Win 10 OS, even if I force to set it up to run the Nvidia (from Nvidia control menu), CoH won't load at all when Nvidia is the selected one, so by CoH's default it will only run with my Intel HD 4000 when I select Intel HD 4000 to run CoH, but since I upgraded its i3 3110M to i7 3632QM, my 13 inch laptop became too hot when playing CoH and that's why I set up FPS Limiter for playing CoH as well, with its FPS limited to just 30 FPS my processor's temperature went down drastically..

The difference between TS3 and TS3W, W stands for world-wide version copy sales, but that doesn't matter anymore ever since Superpatch 1.67 was introduced, now I don't know about 1.69 since it have different installation path compares to 1.67, but you can just try to add the *.exe file from your TS3\Game\Bin directory to the FPS GUI menu like in the screenshot shown above, that's how I set it up for my CoH as well, when it works, check it when you're in game with the cheatbox "FPS On", if it's 30 FPS (assuming you didn't change the 30 FPS from FPS GUI menu) then FPS Limiter is running when your TS3 is running..
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 8:11 PM
For what it's worth now, TS3W.exe is the executable that the game itself uses for Patches 1.67 and below. TS3.exe (without the "W") is the executable that the game itself uses for Patch 1.69. This is the change that broke many third party game utilities such as CC Magic (for starting up the game) and EasyCASP Editor for Patch 1.69 players as they were programmed to reach for the "wrong" one.
Instructor
#16 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 8:14 PM
@papaemy

Hey, I've recently realize I have some extra DDR3L leftover when I upgraded my laptop to 16GB. I'm wondering if I can go ahead and use the DDR3L in my sister's laptop? She's running a generation 2 i5, which I assume is on DDR2L. The size fits, 8GB, but I didn't keep track the changes between DDR2 and 3, whether they are compatible. Hehe, hope you can save me some research time. Thanks!

I'm not sure if there was low voltage version for DDR2 (DDR2L), but it could be.. maybe I just didn't know that, and as for the 2nd gen of i5 if it can run the DDR3L or not, in theory.. it sure can, because the DDR3 and DDR3L ram's module and the slot(s) on the motherboard.. both it's the same (but DDR3 sodimm can not be install into the DDR2 slot because it won't fit the slot), but can the 2nd gen i5 and its motherboard run in lower voltage as its ram suppose to, you can check it at http://ark.intel.com/, just put down your sister's i5 model, and they will tell you all the details about your sister's i5..

Note: if your sister laptop's motherboard chipset is HM77 or above (you can check it with CPU-Z), it also support the 3rd gen i3 i5 and i7 processors, as long as the 2nd gen Core i5 is not the U model, then it's upgrade-able, you can take out the 2nd gen and replace it with the 3rd gen processor, but not if it's the U model since it's soldered permanently to the motherboard, and that also means (if it's HM77 chipset or above), its motherboard supports DDR3L as well..
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 10:09 PM
I looked up my laptop and it has 1 RAM slot with a max of 8GB usable memory. I wish I could get more in... ugh

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 1:06 AM
That's terrible! Weird too!

Well, one stick of 8GB ddr3 1333, 1600 etc... is still around $30 on Ebay. You can also sell the 4GB and get $15 for it.

That is much, MUCH cheaper than a new PC. Now, if I get that little for my stick of RAM, I may as well keep it as a backup in case my new stuff fails. I've never gotten a computer part beyond what the PC came with so I am nervous.

Anyway, I have learned so much from this thread. Thanks y'all.

Instructor
#21 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 2:37 AM Last edited by PapaEmy : 19th Jun 2016 at 2:47 AM.
Yeah, that's something I was afraid of. So laptop DDR3 is not going to fit the slot of DDR2?

No it's not, no matter how you're going to flip it over or turn it around, it just won't fit

Do people actually manually upgrade laptop CPUs? Sounds tideous just opening the laptop up. I was hoping to just plug in my DDR3L into the laptop, but looks like if it won't fit, it is better just to look for some DDR2L on Ebay.

Oh well, hehe thanks!

Yes they do, that's why there are tons of any kind of laptop processors posted on ebay, they can be new/used or even engineering sample, or they can also be pulled out from broken laptops so they parting them out the good ones for replacements or spare parts, that's where I got my i7 from, I bought it for less than $60, wasn't it nice an i7 for less than $60? I don't know if the seller was drunk or maybe don't even know what price its still valued.. I just bought it in less than 3 minutes since it was being posted before anybody else grabbed it.. lol

I don't think there is DDR2L (low voltage) sodimm, even if there is, DDR3 sodimm is still in lower voltage compares to DDR2..

EDIT: I just checked her i5 on the link you gave me, it said it can support DDR3 1066/1333. The DDR3L I have left over are 1600. So I guess it will work? It will just run at 1333?

EDIT AGAIN: Lol you know what? I got thrown off by Crucial's scanner. It showed DDR3L as compatible, but my actual RAM is just DDR3, I never bought the DDR3L. So with fingers cross, hopefully I can install the DDR3-1600 into the i5 laptop.

Yes the 2nd gen i5 is officially.. can support up to DDR3 1333Mhz, and it can also run in DDR3 1600Mhz but only if the motherboard supports 1600Mhz.

And yes you can install the DDR3 1600Mhz sodimm (whether it's DDR3 or DDR3L) with 2nd gen Core i5 processor but it will only run at lower speed of 1333Mhz automatically, unless your laptop's motherboard supports the 1600Mhz FSB then it can run on 1600Mhz configuration, and it will automatically overclocked the processor speed for few hundred of Mhz if the FSB jumped from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz (assuming your processor is unlocked and stable one, if it's not then it automatically reduced its multiplier so it will run stable in 1600Mhz, but you get cooler cpu temperature at the least if it won't overclocked it), notice: if your motherboard's chipset is HM77 or above then most of them supports 1600Mhz FSB

Also, I'm curious on what you said about the 3rd gen i7? Because that's what I have and the Intel page confirms it can do 32GB of RAM. However, my laptop said it can only handle 16GB. Is it because it only has 2 slots and DDR3 can only handle max of 8GB per stick? So for it to do 32GB, it requires 4 slots? If that is the case, is it possible to install DDR4 on DDR3 slots, since you mentioned it has the 16GB sticks? Just having it run slower?

That's because most of the latest DDR3 Sodimm module (stick) are usually 8Gb at the maximum per its module, so the motherboard's manufacturer usually recommends what's in the market in general, even for my Lenovo it was said in their official page that it can only goes up to 8gb (2x4gb), but that was before the 8gb module was even in production in the early stage life of DDR3.

So it's not because it has only 2 slots and/or can handle only max of 8gb per module, but maybe because they don't make the 16Gb per module/stick, maybe they are some.. but hard to get because it's rare (but in DDR4 line up they already in production and some even has already in the market), so it's a yes and no to max it out to 32Gb, if your laptop's motherboard has 4 slots then you can fit them 4 sticks of 8gb, or if it's only 2 slots like mine, then we just have to find where we can buy the 2x16Gb twin pack sticks? So far I can't find them.. so 16gb (2x8gb) is the best what I can get for DDR3/L.

And no you can't install DDR4 into DDR3 slot, it just won't fit like DDR2 to DDR3, even if you can.. the polarity is different, and the voltage is also even lower than the DDR3L
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 4:49 PM
I don't understand @PapaEmy's post... Were you talking to me or to Nitromon? If you were talking to me, are you saying that it would be safe to attempt to put a 16 GB stick on RAM into my laptop that supports a max of 8 GB? Or should I stick with 8GB to be safe (especially since it seems very confusing to get TS3 to use more than 4 GB of ram and that much memory would likely be a waste of money?)

I'm the one who is stuck with only one RAM slot. Lovely.

Instructor
#23 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 5:54 PM
I don't understand @PapaEmy's post... Were you talking to me or to Nitromon? If you were talking to me, are you saying that it would be safe to attempt to put a 16 GB stick on RAM into my laptop that supports a max of 8 GB? Or should I stick with 8GB to be safe (especially since it seems very confusing to get TS3 to use more than 4 GB of ram and that much memory would likely be a waste of money?)

I'm the one who is stuck with only one RAM slot. Lovely.

Sorry for the confusion, I was replying to his questions because he asked questions, but my answers could also be applied to anyone in general, I didn't say or suggesting you to put 16GB DDR3 stick RAM for your laptop because there's none for DDR3 as far as I can found (though your processor and motherboard supports it as well as 3rd gen Core i3/5/7 series and its motherboard), the only 16GB stick ram I found was for DDR4 only, please note that DDR3 vs DDR4 are completely different one to another so it won't fit if your ram slot is for DDR3.

For your laptop.. to be safe just stick with the 8GB DDR3 module, but if somehow you manage to found the 16GB module somewhere (but don't buy it on-line cause i doubt it if there's one, unless you can meet the seller in person like if they have or work at an actual computer shop in the area where you're living), then you can ask the seller to try it 1st for your laptop for compatibility purpose before you actually buy it, they usually don't mind with that and will help you install it in your laptop for a test run, if it's run without any problem at all, then it's your choice which one are you going to buy... the 8gb or 16gb stick.

To conclude, the 3rd, 4th, and 6th gen of Core i3/5/7 series are officially supports the 16Gb module for DDR3 and DDR3L, if there are available obviously because most of them are 8Gb module, and as for DDR4... only Core i7 5th gen (Haswel E) and Core i3/5/7 6th gen (Skylake and Broadwell E) supports the DDR4, and yours are one of the newest Core i5 6th gen, so I hope you won't confused anymore by now
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 6:03 PM
Ok, that helps @PapaEmy. Thanks! Will have to look for a good 8GB module.

Page 1 of 2