Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#401 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Advertising must be expensive, I mean who would buy the same game every year?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#402 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 1:57 AM
A long shelf life, moddable game, allows EA to sell extra sets in the store , EPs and SPs for a long time. I think that's cheaper than re-releasing a game like they do with those sports games.

No doubt they will sell DLC through the store. But the game doesn't have to be offline, moddable or any of those things for that. They're hoping it'll have as long a shelf life as they allow and that players come to the store for their custom content. I'm just going by what we're seeing from SC5 though. IIRC there's already code in SC for an ep of some sort and players are still confused if modding's allowed due to the developers saying one thing and Origin saying another.
Inventor
Original Poster
#403 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 2:12 AM
Quote:
"At no point in time did anybody say 'you must make this online'. It was the creative people on the team that thought it was best to create a multiplayer collaborative experience"

Frank Gibeau

Finally, the answer to all the problems is clear. Get rid of the creative people and everything will be fine.
Mad Poster
#404 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 2:24 AM
maybe online gaming is the future.. maybe we'll adapt as we evolve with technology..

Field Researcher
#405 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 2:57 AM
Advertising must be expensive, I mean who would buy the same game every year?

Is this different from buying the same game and then the following copycat expansion packs every 6 months for 5 years?

I can't be the only person to buy seasons, pets and late night while internally yelling "you effing idiot" at myself and HATING EA with all of my being..
Forum Resident
#406 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 3:32 AM
Quote:
I can't be the only person to buy seasons, pets and late night while internally yelling "you effing idiot" at myself and HATING EA with all of my being..

no you are not the only one at first glance i thought showtime was going to be a waste of time but then i had a look at some of the features on it and changed my mind same with a few of the other EPs
Field Researcher
#407 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tigerex_13
no you are not the only one at first glance i thought showtime was going to be a waste of time but then i had a look at some of the features on it and changed my mind same with a few of the other EPs

Well that is the thing. I bought them knowing full well I was being ripped off cause I was buying regurgitated material. Just like I did with TS2 and several of their EP's. I knew it and I bought them anyway, so in a way, while I hate EA, I was also hating myself a little for not putting up some sort of self-righteous fight.

I never questioned liking them.. Well that is mostly true. I questioned Late Night.. but I wanted the interactions and hot tubs and stuff. And I didn't get Showtime because it seemed like an expansion to Late Night more than an Expansion to The Sims.. And I REALLY REALLY wanted an acting career too! So in a way - I DID protest! WHOO HOO - I should be so proud of myself..
Field Researcher
#408 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 3:25 PM
I know the feeling. Every time an EP comes out, I turn into Gollum/Smeagle from Lord of the Rings. I'm doing it right now with University...

Smeagleme: "I think I'll wait a bit, see if the price comes down."
Gollumme: "But it has extra traits, precious, we could has 7 traits"
Smeagleme: "But my game is just barely limping along now, god only knows what another EP will do"
Gollumme: "Graffiti, we could paints graffiti, it would be fun"
Smeagleme: "We already have a ton of stuff in the game we never use, we don't really need more"
Gollumme: "We can dumpster dive, we've never been dumpster diving"
Smeagleme: "I hear the apartment system doesn't even work"
Gollumme: "I WANTS IT PRECIOUS"

(sigh) I'm prolly heading to Target this afternoon.... figure I can spend Saturday trying to get it to work, and Sunday playing.
Lab Assistant
#409 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 7:15 PM
glitches
Alchemist
#410 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChaoticMoira
Is this different from buying the same game and then the following copycat expansion packs every 6 months for 5 years?

I know I'm in the minority but to me horses made Pets worth the money for me. Seasons and NL were pretty similar to TS2 expansions but I still needed them for my sims so I don't consider it money wasted
Theorist
#411 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 3:12 AM
They sort of tried to "force" multi-player in SHT by locking some game items away unless you used Simport. Granted you could do without those items but they're in the game, you just can't have them unless you play the way they want you too.

I know I've posted some of these before, but if anyone is wondering about EA's Business Plan, here's some info in the quotes from the articles listed below. It looks pretty clear to me that they have a "vision" for all their future games. We'll see if they've learned anything from the SC blowback but if it makes any money for them at all, then they'll call it a success and it's safe to say that they are no longer making games for many of us long time players. They are making games for the social/casual gamers out there instead.

Quote:
Interviewer "Taking into consideration what you’ve been saying about the importance of dev autonomy and, elsewhere, the need to add multiplayer to games, what if the Visceral team told you that multiplayer isn’t something that should be added to Dead Space? It’s not something completely unforeseeable, considering its genre.

Gibeau: Well, it’s not only about multiplayer, it’s about being connected. I firmly believe that the way the products we have are going they, need to be connected online. Multiplayer is one form of that.

Yes but, how would you respond if Visceral told you that Dead Space isn’t the type of game that should have multiplayer? It sounds like EA insists on some game elements, and I am wondering how that affects dev autonomy.
(PR manager: It’s more about educating the developers. Not on the creative side, but on the way people play games. Social media has really changed the way consumers look at entertainment. Everything’s more interconnected and 24-7 these days.)

Gibeau: So I don’t go up to every game team and ask – what is your deathmatch mode? [laughs] I look at how to make games a broader idea with online services."

From: http://www.develop-online.net/featu...s-leap-of-faith (2010)

-----

Quote:
"Frank Gibeau, the president of EA Labels, has shown that business truly does come before gameplay with comments he made as part of a preview document for the CloudGamingUSA event happening on September 11-12 in San Francisco.

Gibeau is very proud of the fact he has never green lit a single project that consisted solely of a single-player experience. He insists that every game EA publishes has an online component to it. His reason for doing this? Apparently EA has “evolved with consumers” suggesting he thinks this is what consumers want in every game."

From: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...-games-2012095/ (2012)

------

Quote:
"EA’s big shift toward treating games as services instead of packaged goods is going to mean restructuring this year.

Chief executive John Riccitiello said in today’s earnings call that there will be some layoffs as the company increases production of online, mobile, and social games."

From: http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/07/ea...g-social-title/ (2012)

------

Quote:
"In July of 2012 EA CEO John Riccitiello complained about investors focusing on NPD numbers, the sales of physical game products, when valuing EA stock. He pointed to the company’s strong performance in the digital space, which is a sector that continues to show growth for EA.

While gamers may hate the idea that the future belongs to micro-transactions and smaller, mobile games, it’s hard to argue with where gamers are actually spending their money. EA isn’t focused on what you say, as a company it’s paying attention to what you do, and in this case they’re going to where they believe the money will be in the coming years. After suffering so many quarters where they post losses, it may be a bet they’re being forced to make."

From: http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...-fight-falling- (2013)

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#412 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 5:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I know I'm in the minority but to me horses made Pets worth the money for me. Seasons and NL were pretty similar to TS2 expansions but I still needed them for my sims so I don't consider it money wasted

It isn't so much that I feel I have wasted my money. I love seasons, and I enjoy animals in the game - mostly because both make a more real experience for me. And once I am playing, I am happy to be doing so.

It is that I feel they charge an extraordinary amount for basically regurgitated material. Yeah sure, they add something here or there which is new, BUT in general, it is the same EP I have already bought before. I should pay top dollar for that? It is basically a thrift store product, used goods.. And THAT makes me hate them somewhat.

That said, I do enjoy the game and I do think it was worth it to buy the EP's I bought. I also wait till the price goes way down though. It makes it easier to swallow being totally ripped-off for second hand goods. Now IP is new, so I don't feel that way about it at all.

I just would be more impressed if "old" stuff (e.g. weather/pets) was put in the base game, and the EP's were always new stuff. Even if a later EP brought NEW pets.. okay fine, but put the ones I already payed for before in the base game.

Quote: Originally posted by anifromid2
I know the feeling. Every time an EP comes out, I turn into Gollum/Smeagle from Lord of the Rings. I'm doing it right now with University...

Smeagleme: "But my game is just barely limping along now, god only knows what another EP will do"
Smeagleme: "We already have a ton of stuff in the game we never use, we don't really need more"

(sigh) I'm prolly heading to Target this afternoon.... figure I can spend Saturday trying to get it to work, and Sunday playing.

OMG! This KILLED me! And it is SO FREAKING Accurate. GAH!
Scholar
#413 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Granted you could do without those items but they're in the game, you just can't have them unless you play the way they want you too.

Or unless you have mods. I actually had a mod that unlocked those items once, but they weren't worth it (IMHO).

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Instructor
#414 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by minimogut
Or unless you have mods. I actually had a mod that unlocked those items once, but they weren't worth it (IMHO).

There were some steampunk items I liked if I remember correctly, but yeah, nothing that grabbed you by the ears and said "Look at me!!"

There is also items you are suppose to get for download if you have posted X number of memories. Again, been a while but I remember thinking that the offerings for the first three goals were okay, bu the fourth for 1,000 memories was rather lame.
Instructor
#415 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 5:11 PM

Completely agree with this although I'm not sure which comment was funnier, the Gollumme/Smeagleme conversation or the fact that you figure on spending an entire day to get it to work.
Field Researcher
#416 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 5:31 PM
Quote:
EA Labels President Frank Gibeau claims that DRM is "not a viable strategy for the gaming business."

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ad-End-Strategy
Instructor
#417 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BubbelsDarling

Yeah saw that as it's been all over, even on to icanhazcheezburger.

First thought: "Yay! EA/Maxis has seen the error of their ways!"
Second Thought: "Right. HIM. I should know better."
Third thought: "Good god, that is epic levels of denial."
Field Researcher
#418 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 9:24 PM

I know I'm being a complete and utter asshole, but it's Smeagol. I've been holding that back since I saw your post yesterday. I need help...

(Sorry, I have a bad habit of always correcting people...Yes, I'm a bit of a Tolkien dork. )

Anyway, TS4 really seems like it'll be online. If so, I won't be buying it.
Field Researcher
#419 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 6:54 AM

I am going to just smile, and HOPE it will mean good things for the future. I really don't care what the intent of "always online" was, I never did, I only care that I don't want online or multi-player "requirements" in any of my "God" style games..

Battlefield is fine, I am not God in that. Sims - I am God, no other Gods are welcome...
Scholar
#420 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 1:48 PM

In the same article he says :

" You have to innovate and try new things and surprise people and in this particular case that's what we sought to achieve," he continued. "If you play an MMO, you don't demand an offline mode, you just don't. And in fact, SimCity started out and felt like an MMO more than anything else and it plays like an MMO."

Basically saying that the always online has nothing to do with DRM, but all with SC being a MMO ...
But yeah, they are against DRM!

Oh, and I really like the OP
Field Researcher
#421 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 3:19 PM
Dear Tolkein Dork,

It was 1978, Ralph Bakshi made an animated version of LOTR. Also, my Dad had a major heart attack. Mom, who was a nurse, was allowed to spend all her time with him at the hospital. Which left me with my much younger brother, aged 8. So one night, my friends and I packed him up with us and took him to a midnight showing of the Bakshi movie, since neither parental unit was there to point out that taking a kid to a scary movie that late at night wasn't the brightest idea. To this day he says that is one of his best memories because:

1. he got to stay up way late
2. he got to hang out with the older cooler kids
3. he absolutely ADORED the movie
4. we totally loaded his arms full of junk food from the concession stand (my folks had a standing "you can have ONE" rule for concession stands)

I left for college a couple months later, and, with only one pay phone per floor of the dorm, it was hard to stay in touch. 30 girls sharing one phone? Really hard to get through at all, and if you did manage it, you never knew if the person that answered would actually track down the person you were looking for... if they did, it was a miracle. No email or cell phones back then, you see. After the first month, cards and letters began arriving from "Smeagle" addressed to "Gandalf". Yep, he spelled it wrong. The letters were long for a, by then, 9 year old. Stuff he'd done, jokes he'd heard, the occasional drawing. The first one explained that I was Gandalf because I was older, wiser and occasionally crabby. He was Smeagle because he was little, sometimes a good boy and sometimes a bad boy. Mom told me he would pester them to take him to the Hallmark store and spend AGES picking out a card he thought would make me laugh. I got those cards about once a month the whole time I was in school.

It's more than 30 years later. We've both read the Tolkien books. We talk on the phone most weekends, send the occasional email. But every now and then, when I go out to the mailbox, there's a card from "Smeagle". Yep, we still spell it our way. Somehow, I don't think Tolkien would mind.

For what it's worth, Gollum won... I got Uni yesterday afternoon, and finally figured out which piece of CC was messing it up about 3am this morning. Now I'm off to download Twallan's relativity cuz time is jumping like a mother in that world.
Instructor
#422 Old 1st Apr 2013 at 11:46 AM
Lab Assistant
#423 Old 1st Apr 2013 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Monsoon
FOUND TS4 ON AMAZON

Fixed link.
Inventor
Original Poster
#424 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 2:08 PM
I decided to revive this thread because I read two articles that explain quite well why Eaxis is so stubborn about the online-only future of its games. It seems it's not (just) about DRM or DRM-like schemes after all; it's all those millions on the horizon that make Eaxis CEOs weeping with lust.

A more general one: Eurogamer

A specific one about a game at least some of us used to love: Ridge Racer Driftopia

There is a small catch, however: games referred to in these articles are (or will be) "free-to-play". SimCity is not and neither is TS3 and neither will be TS4. In short, Eaxis intends to have the best of both worlds and we are relegated to our usual cash cow roles, being milked on both ends. (Which doesn't make any sense in the real cow world but a lot of sense in the TS cow world.)
Page 17 of 17