Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:13 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 24th Oct 2013 at 8:59 AM.
Default The Sims Resource now a free site
Surely someone has posted this before me? But I can't spot it. The site has now gone completely free, supported by advertising and if you want to you can pay to not see the ads. Unfortunately the new version is not yet displaying correctly for some people.

Oh - here is Steve Bonham's post http://forums.thesimsresource.com/i...ts-suggestions/

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:07 AM
I have it all on the left side in Chrome

How interesting. I see there is something I didn't get. Has the featured artists stoped getting paid? I read something about creators leaving.
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:11 AM
Well I've not been told anything about that but if what they are saying is true about the advertising bringing in as much as the subscriptions, maybe they can still pay the FAs out of that. Though it has been indicated in the past it's just the odd bit of pocket money FAs get, not a wage lol

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#4 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Though it has been indicated in the past it's just the odd bit of pocket money FAs get, not a wage lol

Yea I kind of thought so
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:19 AM
Yeah, got an e-mail today. So, they offer payments be made to them so you can use the site without ads, do that mean ad-block will not work on the site? That seems like an either this or that situation.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:22 AM
Well, this is wonderful news! Yay, so happy. Anyone have the address of TSR's offices so I can send them a fruit basket and welcome them back to the light side?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
dodgy builder
#7 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Yeah, got an e-mail today. So, they offer payments be made to them so you can use the site without ads, do that mean ad-block will not work on the site? That seems like an either this or that situation.

Certainly does. I don't know how that works, but their ads can be really annoying with silly woman speaking. I can see myself paying just to not have that.
Theorist
#8 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:27 AM
Oh good news. I've got buckets of TSR bookmarked stuff that I was going to come back to.
Going shopping for my sims this weekend now definately.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:28 AM
I get the option not to have the sound. But the movement is kinda distracting.

Oh, and here is the news post from the front page http://www.thesimsresource.com/news...tsr/post/26184/

dodgy builder
#10 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:31 AM
Does that mean we can have TSR stuff in uploads here
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:53 AM
Yes, Volvenom, it will. I just need to change it in the rules for pay content.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:18 AM
Cool. It's on now!

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
One Minute Ninja'd
#13 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:26 AM
Huh. I'm going to watch how this one develops, because there's got to be a catch. Typically, you don't give up a known revenue stream for a trial of ad sales you hope will equal, or, even better, exceed your subscription model. And it's not like TSR has been run as a non-profit entity devoted to the free and open sharing of Sims game content. And while they do have some content that's subscriber only which might be tempting, there's still a lot of stuff that gets posted there that isn't very enticing.

I wonder if they know something we don't about the future of custom content with 4 now on the radar for release in about a year from now.
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:34 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this paved the way for some EA/TSR involvement with CC along for TS4. EA chose TSR to partner with on custom content dealing for The Sims Online, only interrupted by TSO being taken down. There was recently a period of cooling of relationships where TSR were not invited to events, but that appears to have warmed again in time for TSR to become a yibsim for the TS4 unveiling. Apparently this move has been in the planning for a while, so it could be that EA indicated that while they tend to turn a blind eye to paysites, they can hardly be seen to be partnering with one!

The potential benefit to us (apart from more free content to gorge on) is that EA might therefore share details of TS4 formats with TSR and therefore facilitate creation of modding and creating tools, which I have predicted would be quite a hurdle for us unaided.

Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Huh. I'm going to watch how this one develops, because there's got to be a catch.

My thoughts exactly. I immediately checked here to see if anyone had found the catch already
dodgy builder
#16 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Huh. I'm going to watch how this one develops, because there's got to be a catch. Typically, you don't give up a known revenue stream for a trial of ad sales you hope will equal, or, even better, exceed your subscription model. And it's not like TSR has been run as a non-profit entity devoted to the free and open sharing of Sims game content. And while they do have some content that's subscriber only which might be tempting, there's still a lot of stuff that gets posted there that isn't very enticing.

I wonder if they know something we don't about the future of custom content with 4 now on the radar for release in about a year from now.

Something about a new owner ...

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this paved the way for some EA/TSR involvement with CC along for TS4. EA chose TSR to partner with on custom content dealing for The Sims Online, only interrupted by TSO being taken down. There was recently a period of cooling of relationships where TSR were not invited to events, but that appears to have warmed again in time for TSR to become a yibsim for the TS4 unveiling. Apparently this move has been in the planning for a while, so it could be that EA indicated that while they tend to turn a blind eye to paysites, they can hardly be seen to be partnering with one!

The potential benefit to us (apart from more free content to gorge on) is that EA might therefore share details of TS4 formats with TSR and therefore facilitate creation of modding and creating tools, which I have predicted would be quite a hurdle for us unaided.

... and this.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:05 AM
Very Interesting.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:22 AM
Fantastic. Of course a lot of the content is still rubbish and I hope there will continue to be a way to filter by quality (i.e. keep featured artists or whatever they are). I feel like a war has finally ended. Still sort of confused as to why EA would ever have partnered with TSR, but I was not on the net during my TS1 days so I'm not qualified to comment. I will refrain from judgement on TSR unless anything proves to be awry, but it is certainly good (from where I'm standing) that they have adopted an ad-supported model. They could be making plenty out of it, if Youtube is anything to go by, especially by removing any barriers on who can be viewing/downloading. Sit traffic must be up by miles.

ETA: Site works for me in Chrome.
ETA: Spoke way too soon. Image load fail.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:40 AM
For me, on a Mac running OS/X 10.5.8 (old) it's not letting me download in Firefox (yet). However, Safari is fine. Just a note to other Mac users.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:43 AM
Hm. Saw Inge's post on MATY and thought, "April Fool's was six months ago."

Don't know if there's a catch, but if there's free stuff, I say get it while the getting's good.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Hm. Saw Inge's post on MATY and thought, "April Fool's was six months ago." .

You don't trust me

Field Researcher
#22 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:50 AM

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

coming soon to a tumblr near you:
The Disney 10-Gen Legacy Challenge
Hunger Games Challenge
dodgy builder
#23 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:50 AM
I just copied this from my first page, I thought they were finished now.

Quote:
The Sims Resource has evolved - Welcome to the NEW TSR!

We have gone through many changes in our 14 years of being the biggest Sims community website, and now we are going through one of our biggest and most challenging changes to date. For many years now, TSR has existed with a subscription model, allowing Sims players to pay for access to our premium content, created by our paid staff of Featured Artists who excel in Custom Content for The Sims games.

All premium downloads are now free

All 852,000+ creations are now entirely free with no downloading restrictions. You now have full, unlimited access to tens of thousands of premium Custom Content creations from our Featured Artists which were previously exclusive to subscribers.

A refreshing and efficient new site design

Advertising will be paying for the site in the future so we have redesigned the site to make better use of ad placements. We have also streamlined the design and backend process to make the site more efficient for the massive increase in traffic we are expecting as a result of changing to a "freemium" model.

No account or login required to download

You no longer need to share any details with the site to get access to our downloads. Just visit, browse and download with no login required (you will need to log in if you choose to post comments on creations, in guestbooks or on the forums).

VIP Member opportunity

Our Subscribers used to benefit from browsing the site without advertising, and having access to our powerful Download Basket feature giving a faster, cleaner and more efficient experience of gathering Custom Content for their game. Although all of the content is now free we appreciate that some people are happy to contribute to the cost of running this enormous resource in return for removing the ads which will pay for our existence. This opportunity is now available for the meager price of just $2.99 per month!
Mad Poster
#24 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:59 AM
I was just teasing, Inge.

It was just a bit shocking that TSR would be a free site. I still don't trust 'em over there, though.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
retired moderator
#25 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:59 AM
I checked the date too when Inge came into chat pointing it out.

Page 1 of 10