Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2021 at 5:13 AM
Default Multiple chance cards per career level?
I was thinking about making a custom career that heavily relies on chance cards instead of daily wage. It would be simple enough, with all the tutorials here and whatnot, but the concept took me further. Having the same chance card popping up over and over and over again will get rather boring. Having a bunch of them per level on the other hand, with different outcomes... Now that sounds more fun. But is it even possible? I've poked around trying to find the answer but found nothing so far.
So. Is it doable? And if so - how?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IrenDeimos
I was thinking about making a custom career that heavily relies on chance cards instead of daily wage. It would be simple enough, with all the tutorials here and whatnot, but the concept took me further. Having the same chance card popping up over and over and over again will get rather boring. Having a bunch of them per level on the other hand, with different outcomes... Now that sounds more fun. But is it even possible? I've poked around trying to find the answer but found nothing so far.
So. Is it doable? And if so - how?

Even with four you can get a lot more variety than we usually see. They don't have to just be two good and two bad results, for example, and the different "genders" don't have to be the same text with different pronouns, they can be different scenarios (I write mine all in second person, "you"). I also sometimes don't have the career advance at all. Maybe I want my working sims to stay at low level jobs without getting promoted, so I use the cards to provide story instead, by suggesting the sim do certain things in response, like take a vacation or make a friend or whatever, so that the random ideas help drive the story instead of advance the career. Anyway, these ideas have made them more interesting for me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Even with four you can get a lot more variety than we usually see. They don't have to just be two good and two bad results, for example, and the different "genders" don't have to be the same text with different pronouns, they can be different scenarios (I write mine all in second person, "you"). I also sometimes don't have the career advance at all. Maybe I want my working sims to stay at low level jobs without getting promoted, so I use the cards to provide story instead, by suggesting the sim do certain things in response, like take a vacation or make a friend or whatever, so that the random ideas help drive the story instead of advance the career. Anyway, these ideas have made them more interesting for me.

I... didn't think of that. That's a great start, thank you!

I wonder if it's possible to remove the gender check for one specific career and randomize which version of a card you'll get though. The idea of getting as many options as possible continues to haunt me. I kinda feel like even if it is - it's probably way beyond my "skills" here. Still, I think I've got an idea of a simpler workaround, with keeping the descriptions and titles of different levels the same and using cards based promotion/demotion system to mix things up a bit.
On the other hand, the amount of promoted/demoted memories this thing will leave... Is there a way to disable them in this specific case?