Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 6:21 PM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 28th Nov 2021 at 6:08 AM.
Default A Rag on a Pole? - Old Flags / Where'd you get THAT haircut?!
This is long-winded, so bear with me and don't feel obligated to speak to any more of it than your care to... I'm currently experimenting with a Last of the Mohicans-era neighborhood, and it would be nice to have some period-appropriate flags to fly in the various armies' camps. With the British, meh, from a distance, who can really tell the 1701 version (added Scotland) from the 1801 version (added Ireland)? I'm a re-enactor, and I've even seen things at juried events that weren't correct. But for the French, pre-revolution flags, I haven't seen anywhere. Has anyone else? Varying versions of the 3-fleur-de-lys flag were appropriate, either blue or white depending on what year. I don't mind wall hangings, although they didn't really use flags like that back then.
This isn't exactly what I had pictured in my head, but it's another type that would be good; the French continued to use flags of this sort for their regiments up through the Naploeonic era:

Military uniforms, I can fudge from the famous Rococo for Him collection. Plus, I found a not-too-weird actual British Army outfit. There is still the question of tricorn hats, but I've sort of given up on that front. Only one I've found that looks right is gigantic, only for women, and not for outdoor use. Go figure; exactly the opposite of reality. Women didn't often wear those things; when they did, they were smaller versions of the men's hats, and ALWAYS for outdoors.

The Native side is a whole other kettle of fish, and there is just not much to choose from, that I've found. Since I'm looking to recreate an Eastern American scene, I'm not interested in teepees, or weird Disney Princess dresses with a bunch of turquoise. N8ive Sims has good modern powwow outfits, and their Seminoles look good for 1900s fancy dress occasions, but... The Rococo For Him and Her collections have some perfect tops for trade shirts, unfortunately, they can't be separated from the bottoms, and not too many Native dudes were seen swanning around in knee britches and buckle shoes, nor women in big, billowing skirts. Shirtless is an option, I suppose. There are some passable breechloths and skirts floating around; I just can't connect them to the right tops.

As for the haircuts, fugheddaboudit. For the women I can settle for a single long braid in the back, no problem. For the men, there's no such thing out there as a correct scalplock. I'd settle for half-shaved heads, but nobody's made one where only the FRONT is shaved, unless someone knows something I don't. Mohawks would be okay, but again, who the heck has ever made one that wasn't twelve inches long and dyed green with a leopard print on the rest of the skull?

Housing: I found a Nordic-sort of tent on PlumBobKeep that, if you squint, could pass for a bark-covered lodge, assuming whoever built it couldn't find enough bark from the same kind of tree to cover it (I think they're supposed to be furs, actually). There are some good modern dome tents, of which some of the recolors might be mistaken for wigwams (wikiami), but they're only for Bon Voyage games, which I don't have. My family's wikiami, at a living history event in Indiana:

I may have to go with square-sided houses with the reed-mat-pattern below as siding,

but... the roof would ideally match, so...

if anyone has any ideas about any or all of that, I'd be grateful.

Also contemplating doing a Shogun neighborhood in the future, so samurai flags would be great, too. I've seen them somewhere, but can't remember where.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 10:37 PM Last edited by Lili975 : 26th Nov 2021 at 10:48 PM.
You didn't mention whether you know about the Content Lists from here, so in case you don't, here's a link:
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...ical_and_Ethnic

There was some indian stuff too on this old site http://sites.estvideo.net/bipsouill.../coiffures4.htm
but only the "small" haircut is available, the big headdress is supposed to be gone over some political correctness related drama and so, last time I checked, no one who had the missing mesh was willing to reupload it

Do you know about the other main historical oriented websites other than the Keep that you mentioned? I'm not good with this myself, I don't play historical hoods, but I was thinking it would be useful to list the sources you already know so people can share their links more efficiently, if that makes sense.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 5:37 AM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 28th Nov 2021 at 5:09 PM.
Lili975 -
Hi, and thanks for your response! I appreciate it.
The Rococo collection is on MTS - it's by Lidiqnata, some absolutely amazing stuff, very extensive collection in a ton of colors. Also a bunch of Edwardian stuff, Victorian, and even some Great Gatsby outfits. Really cool. //modthesims.info/d/471108/rococo-for-him-pt-2.html

As for the tricorn hat, I just looked at this one again from fanseelamb, and I must not've seen before that it was unlocked from BV. So yay for that. It's pretty nice, albeit a trifle large. And, the silly skull-and-crossbones thing, which... even pirates never did. But it'll do fine. fanseelamb tricorn
The Maxis version of the tricorn is... just wrong. I've posted about that before. I'm not sure what would have been so difficult about making a tricorn look like a tricorn, but thenI'm not a 3D modeler. By Sims 3, they seem to have got their act together on the tricorn front. If someone would convert those for TS2, I'd be a happy man. But fanseelamb's is good enough for me.

I have indeed looked at all those historical-themed links, a while back, but thanks for mentioning it. I saw some stuff that I didn't remember from before. For the edification of anyone else looking at this, here's my thoughts on them; maybe that will help direct potential responses to my original query...

Listing of Native American themed postings on MTS
- N8ivSims, I've addressed. Well done, and incredibly extensive, but all either Seminole, or else powwow dancers. I think by the time they finished doing all that, they'd run out of steam, and I can't say I blame them. I just wish they had branched out a bit more to include some other parts of the continent. Don't get me wrong - I've downloaded all their jingle dresses; I just can't use those in my 18th Century hood. N8iveSims
- All About Style has a LOT of cool stuff, but their Native downloads are all Western... and with WAY too much turquoise and other frippery, although the kids aren't as bad as the adults, and I'd consider using them if I couldn't find anything better. The site is no more, but you can get it thru web.archive.org
- BlackyPanther's Sims2Zoo, I could never find before, but thanks to the Wayback Machine, I was able to locate it. They have some "Neanderthal-looking" outfits, (as well as a lot of other cool things) but nothing for my project.
- Bipsouille has a the two Western war bonnets, plus something that might be mistaken for an Iroquois gustoweh ("real hat")... minus the "hat" part. In other words, just a bunch of feathers randomly sticking out at weird angles. How could this be accomplished? 18th-Century bobby pins, perhaps.

The rest are... well, whatcha gonna do? Folks who are really into history aren't necessarily also going to be really into creating Sim stuff. I take nothing away from folks' modeling abilities, and after all, who says things need to be a certain way? The Wampanoag by alexasrosa and the pretty woman by mishnumber1... great, if you're after something pretty to look at with shiny gold lipstick. It's just not great, from a traditional point of view.

Tanya's, Grand Emerald Duchess, Amethyst2, and anything else on SapphireSims, that's all vanished into the wind. Some people have been re-posting content that used to be on that site, which is great. But nothing from the above list, unfortunately.

SixStringSlim's "American Gothic"... not even sure what it is. SSS says it's a Windigo - a spiritual creature from Algonquian mythology. But those are most often depicted as having deer skulls where the head should be. This looks more like... well, whatever it is, it ought to be on a different sort of list, with banshees, bunyips, and Balrogs.

SixStringSlim - Windigo
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2021 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
As for the tricorn hat, I just looked at this one again from fanseelamb, and I must not've seen before that it was unlocked from BV. So yay for that. It's pretty nice, albeit a trifle large. And, the silly skull-and-crossbones thing, which... even pirates never did. But it'll do fine. fanseelamb tricorn
The Maxis version of the tricorn is... just wrong. I've posted about that before. I'm not sure what would have been so difficult about making a tricorn look like a tricorn, but thenI'm not a 3D modeler. By Sims 3, they seem to have got their act together on the tricorn front. If someone would convert those for TS2, I'd be a happy man. But fanseelamb's is good enough for me.[/URL]

Did I mention that I was bored? XD Hence you get me poking around for stuff. Here is a tricorn without the skull and crossbones. https://web.archive.org/web/2016040...com/hats_2.html

AAS also has some indian outfits for all ages/sexes under prairie. https://web.archive.org/web/2015102...es_prairie.html

AAS has some great stuff in general. I look the site up so much that it's my first offered site on the wayback machine. XD