Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2005 at 11:51 PM Last edited by Ellatrue : 2nd Dec 2005 at 12:24 AM.
Default NL: Neighborhood Water Flowing onto Residential Lots
I found that, when placing lots landscaped in such a way that there is a "dip" in the landscape very close to the water, the neighborhood water will actually flow onto the lot- so long as the trench/dip/lowered area is next to the ocean, and the flooded area is below simulated sea level.

I am uncertain as to whether or not this is caused (or allowed) by the neighborhood slope hack in my game. I am also uncertain as to whether or not this can be done with a lot that is made "from scratch"- so far I have been using lots that, for whatever reason, already have a slope at the edge to place the terrain below the level of the water. When I tried to create a lot like this myself I failed to lower the terrain at the edge of the lot, even with the constrainfloorelevation cheat.

I think, perhaps, this can be accomplished by starting a blank lot on a slope so that the slope becomes a part of the lot, then moving that lot to another part of the neighborhood so that the land deforms around it. I haven't had time to experiment with this much myself, but then again, that's what these forums are for!

Here are some screenshots:

this is what happened when I discovered the bug, placing a downloaded lot in my neighborhood:

here it is in the game:

The sims will walk through the water as if it is not there, because it is only a visual effect like the layers of water in the pool (without the "core" of the pool).

here is the lot I placed next to it, learning that the neighborhood water will not flow from one lot to another- at least, not this time

you may not see this, but for whatever reason, the neighboring lot did not show up as having water from the view of this lot- although in the view from other nearby lots, it did

And here is the same lot in a different location that allowed the water to flow onto the land.

Zooming out really far actually made the water seem to recede:

Anyway, I think there is much about this new "glitch" in the game that we can discover!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 2:25 AM Last edited by niol : 24th Oct 2006 at 4:07 PM.
Thanks for sharing that, I tend to believe the last approach you mentioned should be working...

Just a linkage for related infos:
NL: Neighborhood Water Flowing onto Residential Lots [initiated. by Ellatrue]
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=107988
How To Build An Island In 5 Easy Steps [by eedgan]
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=184564
Lots on water
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=198261
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 3:36 AM
Yes, I was surprised that it didn't. I think it is something that will require more testing.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 3:46 AM
Nice house by the way
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 4:17 AM
Thanks, I uploaded it if you have any interest- the link is in my profile.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 5:27 AM
What it looks now is that it takes that type of bay in the neighbourhood in order to create the effect...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 9:37 AM
Could you just repeat the slope cheat here please? Or a pointer to where I can find it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 6:24 PM
I believe it's the following mod being discussed here...

Change max slope value
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=47544

The max limit should be <90, and I've tried 89.99 which is still working... :bandit:
I use this setting to create new cliffs or demonished some parts of the cliffs in some of my neighbourhoods...

The default setting is at a value of 20. The mod is of 40. The value 90 will make the neighbourhood not working. (probably due to a result of nothing or infinity, anyway out of the functional range.)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 6:33 PM
Thanks Niol

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:53 PM
Inge,

You're welcome... Thanks for all of your amazing hacks/mods. They're working very well.... at least to me...! :moose:
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 3:10 AM
that's the thing- there was no bay until I placed the house- once I had placed it, the water flowed onto the lot
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 3:26 AM
Ellatrue,

So, have you tried to replicate the same neighbourhood and place another sloped lot to test the same location?
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 5:25 AM
no, but I did do it in another part of the same neighborhood, as well as on a downtown lot- the game still won't let you place a lot over water, but it will let you place a lot *next* to the water- and this lot was as close as possible.

The edge of the lot was below the level of the sidewalk, which caused the terrain surrounding the lot to deform. That's how you see the bay. The trick seems to be placing the lot on a part of the neighborhood with a sufficiently low elevation: I tried this on one of the islands in my downtown neighborhood, and it whether it worked depended on the original elevation of the terrain as well.

So, I think this is something to keep in mind for people who like to make custom neighborhoods.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 5:56 AM
Thanks for the infos...
Rush to hunt for suitable neighbourhoods...:D
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 9:33 AM Last edited by Ellatrue : 9th Dec 2005 at 6:09 PM.
yeah, let me know if it works for you, I am curious about how it could turn out in other people's games

EDIT 01-09: Has anyone else had any success with this method? I want to know if it works for other people, and whether or not it requires the neighborhood slope hack.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 5:35 PM Last edited by niol : 7th Jan 2006 at 5:44 PM.
Thanks to rhondalatte,

I guess this thread has a little bit more info to add to how to apply this phenomenon...

Baffled - Do you have any ideas?
http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...ht=neighborhood

When the relative positional "height"of a lot is lower than the the water level of the neighbourhood, the water layers from the neighbourhood may show up in that lot...

This can cause certain basement or underground of some lots flooded with neighbourhood water...!
Yet, this's also probably why the neighbour bay water may enter the lot shown above.

this phenomenon may not be NL-specific.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 1:54 PM
I had a little play with this and it looks like that the neighborhood water level does come onto the lot.

Now to get this effect you obiviously need a low lying terrain type,
but if you coupled that with a sloped lot to the right depth you could create some interesting houses/islands etc.

I use the slope hack because I like slopes to build my lots on, some times extreme slopes (like Cliffside Retreat). My ideal low lying terrain was Ocean Atoll, and combining the two I managed to get a lot that might be better called submarine station :D

See my screen shot of the mix.

You might not need the slope hack as long as you can get a lot where the road is higher than the majority of the lot.

you can always get an appropiate empty lot, build a single foundation on it, then move it to your house bin. (or package it and install as many times as required if you want to use it several times. After placement Nightlife leaves a copy in the house bin). Then plop down as many as you need.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 8:48 PM
Duds,

Wow, now, I wish en7en's titanic was built on a lot like this...:moose:
Thanks for that, I'll try it...
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 11:06 PM
Oh, cool, someone else tried it! I had it be a problem with a house with a basement as well, but I figure that problem is easily solved...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 1:14 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 1st Mar 2006 at 1:27 AM.
The trick is simply to

1. make a terrain with a very low-lying coast (*not* what the default "make everything lower" tool is doing in SC4 -- you need to (or at least, I had to) do this manually, e.g. with the "smoothening" function + then flatten it out to just above water level)

2. put streets near the coastline

3. make a neighbourhood; put a lot somewhere with a downwards slope, enter it + save (so that you can move the lot) -- in my experience, the less steep the slope the better it looks because it doesn't distort the underwater terrain (which will probably be quite shallow) that much.

4. take that lot + put it next to the coast so that the slope is pushing the lot border underwater.

Try it, it's fun! Beach lots are great .. the only problem is that the sims have no idea that the water is there, they will happily walk underwater -- either think of it as scuba diving, or put a fence/slope that they can't pass. I don't see any way to combine this with the "swimmable lake illusion" though, as they would swim underwater if I understand it correctly (I haven't actually tried).

ETA: In my experience, the slope hack is entirely optional.

Duds: Did you ever succeed in putting 2 beach lots directly next to each other? Whatever I try, I always need at least one lot tile space inbetween or the game won't let me place it if any part of the lot borders (that I want to join seamlessly) is underwater.

ETA, as well: I have NL, no Uni.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 1:45 AM
[QUOTE=plasticbox]... Whatever I try, I always need at least one lot tile space inbetween or the game won't let me place it if any part of the lot borders (that I want to join seamlessly) is underwater.
...QUOTE]

May read this tutorial:
How to do Post-SC4 Neighbourhood-Terrain-Levelling (NTL)
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103896

With the method mentioned, one may increase the chance of placing a lot next to each other.

In this case, the lot needs at least a side with the same matching slope as a complementary side of the another one. That's the key concept to make it.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#22 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 2:11 AM
I know this stuff, thanks -- my point was (probably not clear, sorry) that this does not work (not for me, at least) if, and only if the border between the lots is partly underwater. If I take two adjoining lots from, say, a hill, that I can place next to each other perfectly fine under normal conditions, it won't work when I put them at the coast (so that the slope goes underwater). Tried with and without various flavors of the slope hack, no luck.
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 3:55 AM Last edited by Ellatrue : 1st Mar 2006 at 4:03 AM.
When you say that you couldn't place the lot, do you mean they would not place next to each other, or that the water would not flow from one to another, as you might expect it to?

I was able to use this glitch in another way, where the first lot was placed near the coast but not so near that it could be considered to be "on the water," but near enough (or perhaps the lot was simply deep enough) to create a small lake.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#24 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 5:41 AM
1. I meant that I can't place them next to each other (even if they *used to be* next to each other). To be more precise, what does work is if one lot is, for example, 4 squares deep and the other one 3, and the first 3 squares (of the common border) are above the water line, then it works. But as soon as the border goes below the water, it doesn't.

The only possible workaround I can imagine (but it would be SO MUCH WORK that I don't see myself doing it) is the kind of terrain surgery that JMP describes on MATY ... with two identical terrains, the first one a bit "higher" than the other one (with the SC4 "move up" tool, so that the terrain remains absolutely the same otherwise), put all lots on the first one, then replace with the second one. I really do hope there is another way =/ ...

I was dreaming of an urban beach promenade kind of thing, you see -- you can do really nice things with foundations that go into the water, little harbors and such (The foundations don't go to the edge of the lot of course (another old gripe of mine -- WHY NOT, Maxis? What's the problem? Can sims only live in suburbia or what?) .. err, well if they would it would look infinitely cool, with a seamless quai. But even so, if at least the lots themselves were seamless there's always a way to cover up the gap with fences or something. So, that's why I want to place them next to each other ... for beaches it's not that important, as the terrain does slope nicely.

2. Happened to me as well! (Deep enough is what matters, in my experience)
Mad Poster
#25 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 6:04 AM
1. I know I'm stating the obvious, just in case, have you tried making new lots right beside the main lot?
2. neighbourhood terrain may not change well when it gets too close to its borders, so you see why I why I want some neighbourhood really plain and close tothe water level coz it's easier to control or have a better chance to get it...
3. Wow, I wish these may come true in the future EPs Indeed, I also wish lots can be placed in the "sea" or "ocean"...! The portal will be placeble by the lot builders...
Page 1 of 2