Replies: 82 (Who?), Viewed: 128999 times.
Page 2 of 4
Test Subject
#26 Old 17th Mar 2007 at 7:22 AM
Thanks so much for this tutorial. :-)
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 6:22 PM
This is an awesome tutorial...I can't believe I actually did something right with SimPE for once on the first try
One question, though: after I replaced the palest Maxis skintone, the other three came up completely black, obliterating the clothes and facial features of the sim I was working with. Is this normal? I'm just going to replace them all now and see if it helps...
Test Subject
#28 Old 21st Mar 2007 at 5:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParasiteX
2. If the image is 512x512 (ex Face texture) set this to 10. If its 1024x1024 (ex Body texture) set it to 11.


I don't seem to have any files bigger than 256 ? Did I screw something up?
Test Subject
#29 Old 22nd Mar 2007 at 5:51 AM
Ok, nm. Found them in the sims08 file. Thanks anyways. :o)
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 7:50 PM
I have never made a custom anything.. skin, recolor.. nadda. However, this tutorial worked for me - first try! I'd just like to say, if I can do it, anyone can. Thank you very much for writing such a thorough and easy to follow tutorial! I suddenly feel... empowered! Hehe
Test Subject
#31 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 1:59 AM
Hi, I am conerning how can I make skinzone for the fur and include the tail and ears?

Marie
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#32 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 6:53 AM
wolfgal, you'll need a mesh (shape) that is shaped that way...


Or you can just find some ears made similar to the elf ears, and an accessory tail - and then recolor the various parts using a normal skintone, which might be far more practical.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#33 Old 13th Apr 2007 at 4:52 PM
Many thanks! I like how you included pictures with the tutorial, and the templates included made this so much easier to do. I really like Enayla’s skins, so last night I made defaults of her pixie skins. I have seen defaults of Enayla’s skins at MTS2, but they were never in the colors I wanted; therefore, I’ve never downloaded them. Now, I can finally have Enayla’s skins as defaults in my game in the colors that I prefer.

I must admit that the files are large, but this is my first time using SimPE. As I become more comfortable with SimPE, I will eventually try HystericalParoxysm’s method of making defaults. Thanks again!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 5:41 PM
<SNIP>

2. If the image is 512x512 (ex Face texture) set this to 10. If its 1024x1024 (ex Body texture) set it to 11.

<SNIP>

I want to know why set to 10 and 1024x1024 to 11. I only use 1 MIPMAP 1024 X 1024 is this okay ?

Thanks
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#35 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 5:56 PM
The number you use is the number of mipmap levels you will get from that image. For a 512x512 texture, you set it to 10 because you have 10 mipmap levels:

1x1 (1)
2x2 (2)
4x4 (3)
8x8 (4)
16x16 (5)
32x32 (6)
64x64 (7)
128x128 (8)
256x256 (9)
512x512 (10)

For 1024x1024 textures, you'll have an additional level, so, 11.

I would highly suggest properly mipmapping your defaults - there's no reason not to do so (besides marginally increased file sizes) but it GREATLY improves performance - there's no reason the game should have to be using a 1024x1024 texture for a sim when you're zoomed way out and it could be using a 128x128 or smaller one instead.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 7:07 PM
I understand -Thank You.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 11:51 AM
>>> I'm so stuck where I can find this <<<

This question no. 3 Where I can find Default Replacement Template

I'm searching for 2 weeks I'm so exhaust it pathetic nothing. I can only hack from someone already made like default S2 and I hack it with my skintone BUT I want from my own start + CREATE MY OWN DEFAULT ?

All I need is 1 minutes tutorial simple...please ?


I cant pass this

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3. Importing textures into Default Replacement Template.

Step 1. Open up the Default Replacemnt Template you want to place your custom textures into.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#38 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 12:43 PM
Wessie, they are attached to the first post at the bottom. You could make your own but you'd have to know how and there's no reason to redo them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
4th May 2007 at 9:12 PM
This message has been deleted by irishrose985. Reason: Never mind, I figured it out, lol
Test Subject
#39 Old 9th Jul 2007 at 9:14 PM
I downloaded NVIDEA DDS Utilities but it says the utilities weren't found.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#40 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 12:34 AM
sugarplum, you need to download them, install them, and then look in the SimPE preferences till you find the place where you tell SimPE where it is installed.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 12th Jul 2007 at 7:23 PM Last edited by Mike141 : 12th Jul 2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: I just realised how many posts in a row I had. HOW ANNOYING AM I?
How bad is it if I get stuck at step 2? I can't find C:\Program files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA DDS Utilities instead of DDS Utilities all i get is a folder called Texture Tools 2. And then that leads a to a bunch of folders without the dds utilities.

-Ok i got my other problem working but now I'm just confused. This guide tells you what to do but it doesnt explain WHAT your doing!

I'm very frustrated this is probably the 6th guide I've read and now I'm worried that I just totally messed everything up. I mean I got the skin file and stuff but nowhere did I choose which shade I was replacing or anything like that so I dont know if my black sims are going to look white and my white sims black and IM SO CONFUSED!

-Ok im highly stressed but I think I figured out what I did wrong... I opened the file from the projects that i exported for bodyshop. Is that right? Or do I open another file?

When you say "Open up the Default Replacemnt Template" that means nothing to me and I have no idea what to do

-I'm sorry I dont mean to sound like a crazy physcho maniac. But MTS2 creators got sick of requests so they made this tutorial forum. This is about the simplest tutorial for what I'm trying to do and still I dont understand anything.
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
12th Jul 2007 at 8:02 PM
This message has been deleted by Mike141.
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
12th Jul 2007 at 8:14 PM
This message has been deleted by Mike141.
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
12th Jul 2007 at 8:16 PM
This message has been deleted by Mike141.
Test Subject
#42 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 8:47 PM
Okay, I installed it and when I go to open the file, it has two programs LIBS and TOOLS. Are these supposed to be the only files here, or is there anything else I need?
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 4:17 AM Last edited by broo : 20th Jul 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Is it just me or female teen face is missing from these templates?

Edit: OK, I understand why now.

Otherwise, good job, thank you very very very much
Test Subject
#44 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 4:24 PM
I tried to do this, but when I was finnished with my first skintone it was still blank in game... What I am doing wrong?
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 6th Aug 2007 at 10:24 AM
ParasitaX I LOVE YOU :D:D:D, this is a GREAT tutorial! And it was easy to make my default skintones, so thank you very much!
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 9th Aug 2007 at 1:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
I tried to do this, but when I was finnished with my first skintone it was still blank in game... What I am doing wrong?


What do you mean by "blank"? Everything works fine for me..
Test Subject
#47 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 4:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broo
What do you mean by "blank"? Everything works fine for me..


Hmm, that's weird. All those sims who has the default skin (which I tried with this tutorial) are black. Clothes, hair, everything is black. Both in game and in CAS, and when I switch to a non default skintone they become normal again.
Test Subject
#48 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 3:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerypum
wolfgal, you'll need a mesh (shape) that is shaped that way...


Or you can just find some ears made similar to the elf ears, and an accessory tail - and then recolor the various parts using a normal skintone, which might be far more practical.


is there a way to associate certain mesh accessories with a replacement default? ie: i want a replacement default werewolf skin with added ears and tail, etc. is it possible? and if so, how? (or just point me in the direction of the tutorial that'll take care of it )

I love my pit bull!Luna and my wanna-be pit! Moby!
teh Airstream blog, from teh road!!
Official member of the Jorenne Fan Club!
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
Test Subject
#49 Old 11th Oct 2007 at 8:57 PM
This is a wonderful tutorial and so incredibly easy, thank you

However ( hee hee), I got lazy and followed Thraxwhirls method the first time around, I took out the defaults I made with that skintone but now I've got sim babies born with all sorts of skintones from the defaults of the skintone I made with Thraxwhirls way, any help would be appreciated
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 8:36 PM
Wow this is fantastic. How do you setup a default skin for aliens only? I am still very new at this. Is there a certain name you have to name your file? ^^ Thanks for posting the tutorial.
Page 2 of 4
Back to top