Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 10:49 PM
sure, ill take a look at it.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 6:57 PM
Hi,
I think I followed your tutorial correctly (and I made a lump in the trousers) but it isn't showing up in bodyshop. Do you know why not?
Thanks

He who forgives is worthy of friendship - and has probably been bribed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 12:26 AM
could be lots of things(ive been updating the exporter as people find things that can go wrong so its not all bad news lol) you can email me the blend and ill see whats up if you want(pm me if you decide to, ill pm my email).
Test Subject
#29 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 12:22 PM
Thanks, that's great.

He who forgives is worthy of friendship - and has probably been bribed.
Test Subject
#30 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 1:04 PM
Hi. One question.
With this method is posible add new vertes to the mesh? or only modify the existing vertexs? I mean if I can import a .smd MAXIS hair to blender (with that skeleton), then Import my custom hair (in 3DS or .OBJ), delete the MAXIS model and conservate my Custom hair model instead with that skeleton, import in SimPE like a .smd file and ingame, the hair have "animation" ( I mean hair move with head)??? Thanks
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 3:50 PM
yes, the only thing that would need to be done would be to parent the new mesh to the skeleton and weight the vertices to the bones.
Test Subject
#32 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 5:41 PM
Oh thanks fot the answer, Bobcatben. Is here a Tutorial (or omewhere) which teach me to how do it?? I don't know which word use to search....
Thanks
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 7:57 PM
well, parenting is done by selecting the mesh, then the armature, and hitting ctrl+P, and clicking armature, then name groups.

as for the actual process of weighting them, thats called rigging, and its something ive been trying to teach myself how todo for the past few days.

theres basically 2 ways, 1 is to select the vertices you want to be controlled by a specific bone then adding them to that bones vertex group, or doing weight painting, which i think there is a few tutorials around for.

try blenderguide.com and search for "weight paint" and the third result might help.
Test Subject
#34 Old 11th Dec 2007 at 10:01 PM
what do i do with the smd import/export script... can't find the right place -_-
Test Subject
#35 Old 11th Dec 2007 at 10:05 PM
omg nvm i suck -_- I thought i downloaded it, but i got yours confused with som1 elses... god urs is easy ^^ tnx anyways
Test Subject
#36 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 6:36 AM Last edited by onald70 : 9th Jan 2008 at 6:56 AM.
Default version of blender is best?
im using version 2.43, wondering cause i had a pop up say this script might not work with this version. well 2.45 seems ok.....

also to anyone has worked with this in blender, when you pose your sims mesh to test it to see if its going to move right in game, does the mesh bend showing the working weighted verts in action, or fold like in milkshape?
asking cause i was sick of milkshape not showing me the weighted verts right and the other way is to run the game to see if all my work payed off.
ive worked with other things in blender and it shows weighted verts in action.

edited: well if anyone wants to know what i just asked, yes you can see the weighted verts in action in blender, so to me blender is much better for weighting, but milkshapes has some plug-ins that are most helpfull and needed for advanced sims modders.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 19th Feb 2008 at 8:43 AM
How do you make hair mesh with blender?

You want your female sims in style?
check out Val's Designs
You want your male sims in style?
check out Simmanly
Click em'! You won't be sorry ;]
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 19th Feb 2008 at 4:26 PM
Thank you so much! I noly know how to do clothes, but how do you do hair?

You want your female sims in style?
check out Val's Designs
You want your male sims in style?
check out Simmanly
Click em'! You won't be sorry ;]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 21st Feb 2008 at 3:47 PM
I haven't tried yet but i'am sure its possible, Perhaps look at tutorials for other programs for doing hair to get a lead on how todo it in blender too.
Test Subject
#40 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 10:45 PM Last edited by redballoon : 23rd Feb 2008 at 1:28 PM.
Thank you so much for this tutorial, I was hoping not to have to resort to using milkshape as I'm already more experinced at blender and I find it so much easier

I had a stab at doing a hair mesh, it showed up fine on the SimPE preview, but in my first attempt nothing changed and in the second the hair moved down into the middle of the face. Any ideas? Would the method be completely different to body meshes? thank you again!

Edit - I was fiddling and I made it work... but I cant work out how I made it work! :s
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 11:03 PM
I'm having a problem adding new vertices to a top mesh. Everytime I export then reimport the mesh, the vertices I added are where they're supposed to be, but the faces are connecting the wrong vertices together! I've uploaded a picture for more clarity.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#42 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 12:26 PM
poifectly_poiple, did you assign your new verticies to bones? that could be the reason, though its just a guess.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 10:13 PM Last edited by poifectly_poiple : 23rd Feb 2008 at 11:42 PM.
I checked if they were assigned, and for one reason or another, they assigned themselves to the pelvis bone, which is the bone the vertices above them are assigned to.

EDIT: The model imports to SimPE as a perfectly normal, non-asplodey mesh. The weirdness only occurs when I import the smd I exported without importing to SimPE first. (I hope that made sense)
Test Subject
#44 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 11:17 AM
this is great, so much better to work in blender then milkshapes,
thank you very much......
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 12:53 AM
Thank you for making the script and tutorial, Bobcatben. I was able to make a successful test with a normal Bodyshop clothing mesh for the very first time. (especially after realizing why I couldn't figure out how to find the SMD importing function in blender. I neglected to download the script that was linked. )

So I tried something else: to see if I could make a slight edit to BlooM's infant onesie override to see what would happen... and I think I messed up on the lines of the vertex groups and the UV map of the mesh. (the modified mesh imported into the GMDC as it was supposed to, but when I tried it out in-game, it was just a floating body with "snowflakes" as the texture on the mesh. )

I feel like a complete dope for asking this... but is it possible to copy the shape of one mesh and have it converted to an untouched copy of the original smd import? And if it is, is it possible to maintain the bone assignments and UV maps of the "original" copy while doing so?

If that's not possible, would you be so kind as to point me out to where can I find a very detailed, step-by-step process of assigning vertex groups using Blender? Most of what I looked up on the web is daunting and hard to grasp, as they're more like "overviews" or "descriptions" than instructions... not to mention the "weight painting" part is still something I need to figure out. For someone like me, it's truly confusing when you can't find something available that's easy to follow and understand.

Contests? Challenge? Custom Content?
Find it all, and more, in the link below!
(~☼ Sim Oasis ☼~)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 3:44 PM
I'am not sure what you mean but, you can get another copy of the mesh into blender by duplicating the original one. as for bone weighting that part im still struggling with myself, the next version of blender is gonna have a automatic bone weighting function that will make things a whole lot easier tho, at the moment i just select vertices, and click the assign button with the right vertex group selected, then fine tune it with weight painting.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 4:00 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. What I meant was if I had already edited the mesh to the shape I wanted (that has no skeleton due to human error), is there was any way to apply the same shape it has to an untouched copy, and still keep all the properties of the untouched mesh (mainly UV mapping and vertex groups) the same... like "copy-paste" or something like that.

I thought I found something similar to that while messing around two days ago, but I haven't been able to figure out which option I chose... either way, it copied over everything from the edited mesh (including all of the things I didn't want to carry over to the untouched copy, which was my messed-up UV map and unassigned vertex groups). Hopefully I'm not making this too confusing.

But either way, I did finally get the groups assigned correctly, and it's being animated as it should. Now all I have to do is figure out what I did wrong with the UV map to it...

(~☼ Sim Oasis ☼~)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 4:03 AM
I don't think there's a way to copy the bone weights from 1 mesh to another(at least that i know of) as for uv maps, if you edited a existing mesh you imported it'll already have the uv maps for the old vertices.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 8:57 AM Last edited by TenshiiAkari12 : 25th Mar 2008 at 9:02 PM.
One more question, and I'll quit pestering you.

I tend to keep on getting what's in the attached image, because the mesh I did was accidentally imported into Blender as an .obj file instead of an .smd file at first, but I was still able to link it to a skeleton correctly... but I'm trying to figure out what the heck I keep on doing wrong with fixing this UV map to take on the original/untouched mesh's UV map instead of its own crapped-up one when I link the original to take on the shape below, and so far I'm not having much luck in finding a way to do that...

I guess it might be one of those things where I'd have to start all over from the beginning, huh? Leave it to me to make a stupid n00b error like that...
Screenshots

(~☼ Sim Oasis ☼~)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#50 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 10:18 PM
Looks kinda like it has no uv map, like every triangle has the default uv coordinates.
Page 2 of 4