Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

#7 Cotswold Court - great for entertaining - no custom content

by boingo82 Posted 14th Oct 2007 at 5:31 AM

9 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 8 Feedback Posts
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 4:09 PM
Very cute and cozy!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 4:51 PM
Wonderful, just wondering... are you making all these houses from pictures or a website? Or are you just making these houses up by heart? Anyways, very nice!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Qwerty12321
Wonderful, just wondering... are you making all these houses from pictures or a website? Or are you just making these houses up by heart? Anyways, very nice!

The facades are inspired by pictures I find through Google Images and on www.oldhouses.com. Every time I see a house I really like, I save it on my comp for future reference. (One day I'd like to buy, or build IRL, a home like this.) I don't usually have floorplans or pics of anything but the front, so the rest I make up.

The one in this thread was inspired by this 1932 Tudor Revival. It is a very classic Tudor Revival shape though, as seen in these other homes:
Home 1
Home 2
Home 3

The only thing that kills me is I've yet been unable to find the curved-top door that would be authentic for nearly every home I've built. I'll probably need to beg someone to make a mesh for it.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 9:08 PM
Haha, I was thinking how nice it would to have a curved top door too... It would also be nice if someone could make curved walls. But, I highly doubt that happening. But anyways, thanks for the house.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 9:45 PM
Very well house! Thank you very much.

«Kindness - quality, which surplus does not harm».
John Golsuorsi.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."
Dorothea Lange
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 10:10 PM
Yes, curved walls, and also a 1-tile-wide curved top doorway!
I seem to remember having the doorway in Sims, but I guess it got dropped in Sims2.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Oct 2007 at 5:42 AM
Hi, I really like your house and I did read that you play tested it, but since you called the upstairs (the bedroom part) an "attic" did you play long enough to make sure that they do not overheat in summer or freeze in winter? I know that a lot of the original Maxis homes that have the bedrooms in the attic space have that problem. I would like to download this as I really love the look of it and also the daylight basement, but don't want to risk the overheating/freezing problem.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Oct 2007 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsane
Hi, I really like your house and I did read that you play tested it, but since you called the upstairs (the bedroom part) an "attic" did you play long enough to make sure that they do not overheat in summer or freeze in winter? I know that a lot of the original Maxis homes that have the bedrooms in the attic space have that problem. I would like to download this as I really love the look of it and also the daylight basement, but don't want to risk the overheating/freezing problem.

Yes, since Seasons was released, I've constructed all my houses so they're Seasons-compatible. Sorry I didn't specify that. I do go through and delete the necessary chunks of auto-wall and replace with wall and rebuild roof sections so there is no temperature problem in winter or summer.

Unfortunately this limits me to a certain few roof slope angles , which impedes stylistically, but it's worth it to me to use that extra space in the attic.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 17th Oct 2007 at 10:17 PM
boingo82, Thank you so much for answering me. :-) I'm going to download it then because it's really very nice. You did a wonderful job on it and yes, Seasons' did definitely limit the roof slope angle choices didn't it? Your house still looks wonderful though.