Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2008 at 6:40 PM
Default Art and Concept pics @ Snooty Sims
Linky Mclink

Quote:
In several magazines were a few Sims 3 concept pictures shown that were never officially published. I managed to find them and you can check them below. I also found a few screens from the Sims 3 prototype.

I actually gasped when I saw the chair. It looks amazing.

The cabinets look pretty cool too. I'm hoping that the wall ones will be functional.

The bookcase... well I think that it looks pretty much Sims2 ish. Someone could easily make it for the sims 2, although maybe it was used to demonstrate that different objects could be placed on the shelves?

I don't even understand the Sims 3 prototype screenshots Maybe someone could explain for me?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 27th May 2008 at 6:44 PM
Here's a tip, they are called Art pics for a reason. They won't look as good in-game.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2008 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho
Here's a tip, they are called Art pics for a reason. They won't look as good in-game.

Yeah I know that artpics are nothing like the real thing. But even so, if the stuff is just half as nice as they look, I'll be happyy.
Inventor
#4 Old 27th May 2008 at 7:26 PM
Wow, they are really working HARD on this! These pics, if nothing else, show that they are certainly putting a lot of thought and effort into the details. And... upper kitchen cabinets! :D
Instructor
#5 Old 27th May 2008 at 9:07 PM

Here's another tip, these look like art pics from a very early stage. The actual objects may look better. Plus that chair is in one of the screenshots and it looks great there too. Haven't you ever created stuff where it looks better in game than you planned? I certainley have. Stop being so negative!
Forum Resident
#6 Old 27th May 2008 at 9:32 PM

Urgh, this has been bugging me for days. WHY are some people so pessimistic abou The Sims 3? It's nowhere near being done, but so many people are already flipping out and tearing it apart.

Obviously, everyone here likes to play The Sims. It's the one thing we all have in common. So why be so critical? Why not try and get excited for the things that look good, instead of pout because of some imaginary version of the new game that you procured from the furture that didn't look as good as you expected?

Some people seem to want to complain about anything.

Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.

Test Subject
#7 Old 27th May 2008 at 11:03 PM
Thank you Rabbit! I'm so tired of the pessimistic outlooks! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion though and I for one am no worshiper/dis-worshiper of TS3 because it has its disadvantages and advantages. But honestly the game isn't even going to be released for another year! Stop being such drags! We're GETTING A NEW SIMS GAME. If you absolutely hate it and won't try it out cause it 'LOOKS BAD' (hint EAxis content sucks anyways) then shame on you.

And everyone go back and look to TS1 and tell me that EAxis isnt trying? Heck they're doing amazing and they're doing the best they can. Also remember TS3 is a game, it's not intended to be 100% as real as it can get. Its supposed to be cute and enjoyable. So if the characters look cartoony there you go!

/edit LOL PROTOTYPE <- omg the 'sim' has a health bar /falls over laughing
Field Researcher
#8 Old 27th May 2008 at 11:14 PM
As annoying it might be for some people to read the "negative" remarks from those who are cynical and skeptical about what they see in the screenshots and concept art at this stage, it is most likely equally annoying for others to read posts from those who accept everything they see and their own assumptions as the absolute truth.

My point is that everyone's opinions and thoughts are valid, and we should be able to get along on a message board such as this one even though we have a different outlook on things. Those who want to get excited should be able to post about it and those who want to express their thoughts on how they take everything with a grain of salt should be able to do so as well, and it would probably create a nicer atmosphere if everyone focus less on pointing out the supposed shortcomings in others' viewpoints.

It's not possible to always stay clear of confrontation, and due to the many different levels of language proficiency in our Sims community people are sometimes unintentionally coming across as stepping on others' toes - but maybe we can all keep in mind to be respectful even when we (respectfully) disagree. No?

Just my two cents.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 27th May 2008 at 11:15 PM
I too agree that the pessimistic outlooks are getting a little old. I know that everyone is perfectly entitled to have their own opinion, and I'm not arguing against that, but...lighten up a little. D:

At any rate, I am just awed by the design of that plant! With the glass cage and the embossed scrolls...god, that's good! (heh)

Who are you, and what have you done with the Maxoids? xD
Forum Resident
#10 Old 27th May 2008 at 11:16 PM
Here, here, dlisted and RabbitRoadKill. Jeez, I wish they would make an official buzzkill thread for TS3 so all the parade rainers can go there and whine about how a game they haven't even played yet isn't up to their expectations. I know people are allowed to express their opinions and they should but it's just become annoying. It's like you can't be happy or excited about the game without someone jumping all over you with "it's all lies, EAxis sucks, wah, wah!"

I love the prototype pictures, I just wish I knew what they meant. Especially the "Mean Girls" pics. Looks very interesting. I have to say, whoever is playing "Bob" in prototype pic #3 isn't doing a very good job. The guy has 11 days left to live and only 4 friends, a low-level job and few hundred bucks to show for it? Poor Bob.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th May 2008 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
I wish they would make an official buzzkill thread for TS3 so all the parade rainers can go there and whine about how a game they haven't even played yet isn't up to their expectations.

And where would those of us who are "inbetweeners" be welcome? Those of us who are excited about Sims3 being in development and seeing new screenshots and concept renders, without necessarily believing that everything released at this stage reflects how the game will end up looking/behaving on the actual release date?

I agree that it can be a downer when someone does nothing other than point out that "The game won't look like this, you gullible idiots!!!", but it can actually be an equal downer when someone exclaims that "OMG we're getting bugs that talk in the game because I swear I see a talking bug in the corner of that concept art and shut up if you're not as excited as me about it!!!"

Honestly, why can't we all just get along?
Forum Resident
#12 Old 28th May 2008 at 12:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by freelancergal
And where would those of us who are "inbetweeners" be welcome? Those of us who are excited about Sims3 being in development and seeing new screenshots and concept renders, without necessarily believing that everything released at this stage reflects how the game will end up looking/behaving on the actual release date?

I agree that it can be a downer when someone does nothing other than point out that "The game won't look like this, you gullible idiots!!!", but it can actually be an equal downer when someone exclaims that "OMG we're getting bugs that talk in the game because I swear I see a talking bug in the corner of that concept art and shut up if you're not as excited as me about it!!!"

Honestly, why can't we all just get along?

Except that no one says that. There's a big difference between being excited about the game and believing everything you see. Just like there's a difference between being negative about every bit of information that comes out and expressing some reservations about the game. Just because I'm excited about the game doesn't mean that I think it's going to come bug-free, absolutely perfect with no glitches and every single thing that I want and has been shown in every pic will be included. Optimism and realism can go hand in hand. It's possible.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 28th May 2008 at 12:37 AM
Gosh, so much conflict.

These pics are certainly quite interesting - perhaps moreso than the other ones that were just "fluff" - it's nice to see some stuff that has some actual substance even if we don't actually understand it.

And it -is- good to keep a level head when it comes to preview/concept pics - we saw a ton of preview stuff with Sims 2 that was never included in the game and looks nothing like what the end product ended up being, so maintaining a level of skepticism is probably a good thing.

I find most interesting the pics that appear to be prototypes of gameplay elements in visual form. Those last five pics are really... odd, but cool.

I can't read most of the text on the "Story Progression" one (my eyes are really blurry today and I have a very high-res monitor so text is tiny) but I can see that they're names, and appear to be some sort of charts of... maybe families and relationships?

The "Mean Girls" one looks like specific interactions between groups of sims with... red lines as negative, blue as positive?

The one that looks like a city overview appears to be tracking what a particular sim is doing (autonomously?) in the neighborhood.

The "Sims 3 Living World Gameplay Protoype" looks like trees, but has colour-coded sim names... can anyone make out what the text of the icons says on the bottom right?

The ridiculous MS Paint House looks like it could be an actual gameplay prototype - I know one of the reports said they had a working version of some of the game engine going. Perhaps that's it. I'm glad to see motive bars on there, though I know we've heard that won't be part of the final game.

I gotta say, I am -really- pleased with the pic of the upper cabinets and different pieces. It's something they've neglected doing for -so- long. It does look like we're looking at the same size grid as we've had before though (rougly 3 feet/1 meter) which is a little disappointing. I was hoping for a smaller grid or even no grid.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 28th May 2008 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
It does look like we're looking at the same size grid as we've had before though (rougly 3 feet/1 meter) which is a little disappointing. I was hoping for a smaller grid or even no grid.

As long as we can still use some sort of "snaptogrid false" cheat, I'll be happy. It would indeed be exciting to have a smaller grid come with the game though (although I'm not sure it I like the idea of by default having no grid at all, since it's sometimes convenient and saves time to be able to snap things in place.)

Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
Just because I'm excited about the game doesn't mean that I think it's going to come bug-free, absolutely perfect with no glitches and every single thing that I want and has been shown in every pic will be included.

Exactly what I was talking about when I referred to myself being an "inbetweener." I am excited and enjoy (and usurp) every nugget of info we get, but I take everything with a grain of salt since nothing is set in stone until the game is actually released and in stores.

My "example quotes" were obviously just made up (hence no references attached) in order to illustrate the extremes at both ends of the scale - to try and show that it's possible to be offensive regardless of whether you're in the "extreme positive" or "extreme negative" camp. Keep in mind that both extremes can also be unoffensive, by stating an opinion without necessarily exclaiming that everyone else is wrong.

I'm simply trying to express that something like "I don't think the game is going to look anything like the screenshots we currently have seen and that makes me sad" and "I want to believe that the concept renders are probably pretty closely resembling what things will look like down the line and I'm excited" are both equally valid and belonging in this forum. It's when the whole "shut up, don't be so negative" and/or "if you believe everything you see you're stupid" type of statements are mixed in that things become unnecessarily unpleasant.

(stepping off the soap box again)
Scholar
#15 Old 28th May 2008 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The "Sims 3 Living World Gameplay Protoype" looks like trees, but has colour-coded sim names... can anyone make out what the text of the icons says on the bottom right?

Well, at least one of the "trees" is "a perfect watermelon plant". The icons say: go home, go to work, buy from bookstore, buy from quickmart, buy from market, go fishing, buy from deli.

Quote:
I was hoping for a smaller grid or even no grid.

That's my biggest wish, a smaller grid system. However, as my just trying to make a recolor for a one tile chair is enough to make a cat laugh, imagine if it was a 12 by 16 tile bed (dividing the current tiles into 4, which I don't find too unreasonable).

Quote:
I can't read most of the text on the "Story Progression" one (my eyes are really blurry today and I have a very high-res monitor so text is tiny) but I can see that they're names, and appear to be some sort of charts of... maybe families and relationships?

I would think it's safe to say that the sims on the crosses represent sims who have passed away. I also can't read any of the text other than a few names.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 28th May 2008 at 2:43 AM
Detailed fern...this is great!

And to think we haven't seen a couple of pictures of a child sim. (I know there's one in the VIP pic, but still,)

Anyways, I like how TS3 is turning out to be!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 28th May 2008 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inoacharm
LOL PROTOTYPE

Is anyone else here so old (like me, ahem) that they used to have a Commodore 128 back in the day (might even have been a 64) and remember a game where this little guy lived in a house and you were supposed to keep him fed by ordering pizza? I forget what other things you could do for him, but I think there was a tv...

I'm talking 80s here, people...

*shock*

Anyway, that picture reminds me of that old game. Haha!

Edited to add:

I couldn't let it go, so I ran a search online and found it! It was called "Little Computer People" and I apparently had the C64 version. Here are some screenshots, for your enjoyment (how far we have come since then...):

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/l...eShotId,160629/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/l...eShotId,160630/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/l...eShotId,160634/

I used to play it for hours, if you can imagine that!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 28th May 2008 at 3:18 AM
The crosses in the story progression reminds me of Christians, lol. Ironically there are many of them.

Wow, that town overview is huge. Look at how tiny the cars are, so imagine a Sim about smaller than and with your eye direction, start from somewhere up top and imagine a Sim walking from that spot until the very bottom where the road ends. Wow! I am definitely going to buy my Sims cars. That is going to be one hell of a walk! But I love it because it means that we get a real town!

This is really neat, I never saw the bottom ones until now. Great find!
Scholar
#19 Old 28th May 2008 at 10:56 AM
I like these art-pics. The objects can be changed of course but the "maps" are very interesting and are reflects of current (or maybe past) work of developers to make the game function. It's great !
Screens prototype2 : a neighborhood plan ?
Prototype3 : informations on this poor Bob and plan of his house
Prototype4 : a garden or park plan with differences for trees. What about these colors red, green ?
Prototype5 : the families plan, dead Sims are maybe in the cross ? But at the bottom there is a clear indication of "fall". Seasons sure ? I'm crossing fingers. :D
Mad Poster
#20 Old 29th May 2008 at 5:29 AM
Yay, I hope we get seasons in the game. I do know we are getting wind and rain, but that is all I know.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 29th May 2008 at 8:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by freelancergal
Is anyone else here so old (like me, ahem) that they used to have a Commodore 128 back in the day (might even have been a 64) and remember a game where this little guy lived in a house and you were supposed to keep him fed by ordering pizza? I forget what other things you could do for him, but I think there was a tv...

I'm talking 80s here, people...

*shock*

Anyway, that picture reminds me of that old game. Haha!

Edited to add:

I couldn't let it go, so I ran a search online and found it! It was called "Little Computer People" and I apparently had the C64 version. Here are some screenshots, for your enjoyment (how far we have come since then...):

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/l...eShotId,160629/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/l...eShotId,160630/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/l...eShotId,160634/

I used to play it for hours, if you can imagine that!

My youngest son had a c64 and I used to play little people on it for hours also. I used to wonder why they didn't update the game. I was fascinated by it and knew it would sell.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 29th May 2008 at 11:29 AM
In the comparison pictures, I can't get over the difference between the 2 sims running. Not just her facial expression as is pointed out, but the way her body is moving, so much more natural and, dare I say it, realistic. Even her right hip is lifting to the side just as it would.
Plus the trees and greenery are so full, lush and detailed.

I know it's early days and stuff, but blimey! Looking good!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 3:09 AM
Looking good for it being this early. Imagine when it's released.
Instructor
#24 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kadien
In the comparison pictures, I can't get over the difference between the 2 sims running. Not just her facial expression as is pointed out, but the way her body is moving, so much more natural and, dare I say it, realistic. Even her right hip is lifting to the side just as it would.
Plus the trees and greenery are so full, lush and detailed.

I know it's early days and stuff, but blimey! Looking good!

I agree about the greenery lol. When I get into Sims 2 I think the plants and tree's look so good for a game of this nature, then you look at the Sims 3 screenshots and get blown away by the detail.
#25 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 11:53 PM
I think that the graphics will probably look as close to the art pictures as they can be. Besides, the graphics wouldn't matter to me as much as the actual game would. I'd rather have a more realistic sims game when it comes to the sims and their personalities, and what they're able to do, instead of the graphics. If the graphics do turn out good, it would only be a plus.
Page 1 of 2