Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 11:24 PM
Default TSR Review
Here is TSR's fan day review. Check it out!

http://www.thesimsresource.com/article/sims3

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 11:38 PM
Awww, you beat me to it. lol TSR seems to have the most info up so far.

Quote:
5) Young adult is the new default age and is changed to represent life between 18 and 30 years.

I'm probably misunderstanding this. Young adults are like adults in TS2? So then adult is like a middle age life stage? Cool. I was hoping for a middle age life stage and it's nice that they sneaked it in.
Quote:
19) "Map Tags" float over areas of the hood - a quick way to find your way around.
20) Sims also have Map Tags so you can find them easily

Nice. That is going to make looking for sims so much easier.
Quote:
46) "Loves" list in personality (Classical, Belgian Waffles for example).
47) Favourites: Music, Food and maybe Colour (in the game now but may be removed).
48) Stronger moodlets when eating or listening to a favourite.

Awwww I really hope that the favorites thing won't be removed from the base game. It sounds really nice... adds uniqueness to the sims.

I'm really liking the traits and moodlets system. The more I hear about it the more it seems to fit TS3.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 12:34 AM
LOL Sorry about that!

I'm really excited about everything so far. It makes sense for there to be a Young Adult stage seperate from the Middle Age stage. I was getting tired of dressing my Adults as middle-aged sims when they could have easily passed as 20 year olds.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 1:16 AM

i dont get this part...belgian waffles? wtf? explain plz? :s
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 1:26 AM
i like that that you can assign different pitches vocally so that the voice of each sim is different and that you can place your exsisting house on a bigger lot!
transmogrified
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Night Racer
i dont get this part...belgian waffles? wtf? explain plz? :s

It sounds as if Sims' personalities will include preferences for certain kinds of foods, music, etc., which I presume are available in game. So perhaps this Sim would experience a greater degree of pleasure listening to classical music or eating belgian waffles.
Theorist
#7 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 2:23 AM
Actually I think it'll be more appropriate if young adult represents 18-40 years old, or maybe 35, because I think 30 is too young to be considered middle age, don't you think?
Scholar
#8 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 2:29 AM
I agree Treeag, 30 is pretty young!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 4:41 AM
Wow, I just read this minute ago and I'm loving it... except for a few things... I wanted my preteens! Oh well, just the fact that young adult is added as a default stage is cool. But seriously, children to teens is quite a huge gap.

As for the favorites being removed, no, it's only the favorite color, not the food or music, read it again where it says MAYBE color.

Wow, playing The Sims 2 now just seems so dull and lacking! I wish I never knew about The Sims 3, lol. Oh well.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 11:04 AM
I just hope the Young Adults ain't gonna be as immature as the Sims2 YAs.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 12:20 PM
Agree there--TS2 YAs are so immature. Really.

And 30 seems too young for me. Maybe 35 or 40, they'll experience midlife crisis.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 12:29 PM
Yeah YAs run around like little kids, pillow fighting, joy buzzers, water balloons and it goes on, even my Sims2 Teens act older than YAs.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 2:40 PM
I also wonder whether Young Adults will be able to have children.

I'm unsure about Sims lives being even longer now - The elder stage, as it stands, is already far too long and incredibly boring - But I guess that will be helped by this 'living neighbourhood' thing.
Test Subject
#14 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 2:44 PM
Yeah young adulds will be able to have kids because they are the "set" age when you go into the cas screen/mode... and their age is based on 18-30.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOrchid]*flip flops..belly tops..lemonade under the shade..blue skies..hot guys..late nights..water fights..ice cream..sweet dreams..party time..looking fine..sleeping in..sneaking out..thats what us girls are all about!*[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Field Researcher
#15 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 5:34 PM
I think 30 would be the perfect age to transition from YA to adult. After all, in real life thats the age when we all start to hit the wall! :D
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 5:47 PM
I would still like for them to make another stage in between adult and elder. A person is still very much young looking at 35 and even 40. Or maybe give the adults subtle aging signs, like bits of grey hair or a bit of wrinkles on their face. It looks very odd when they age from the youthful looking adult into a very old person all of a sudden.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 6:15 PM
Altho' thiis article doesn't state it explicitly, it still indicates that time will continue across the town, not per individual household. I think this is a very bad idea, altho' the integrated neighborhoods might require this. Other than that, it sounds pretty interesting. I like the additional build options a lot.
#18 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
time will continue across the town, not per individual household. I think this is a very bad idea

its neccessary though. real-time simply has to happen.

14)Cars fade from lots. They don't drive away.

That's lame, I must say.

Apart from that, all looking well
Field Researcher
#19 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist_
14)Cars fade from lots. They don't drive away.

That's lame, I must say.
I agree totally, but its probably to prevent game lag. (Or traffic accidents!! :D)
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
[..]Or maybe give the adults subtle aging signs, like bits of grey hair or a bit of wrinkles on their face. It looks very odd when they age from the youthful looking adult into a very old person all of a sudden.

Well, I think that's exactly what they're gonna do with this new 'adult' stage. I read somewhere that as an adult, Sims start to get subtle wrinkles and perhaps a little bit of grey hair. The young adult stage would be something inbetween the current YA and adult.
That's how I understand it.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 11:01 PM
Quote:
31) Moodlets replace memories.

32) Moodlets are icons in the UI and are based on activities and events that are happening that day (moving home, being comfortable, getting married, having a kids etc.)

Surprised this one hasn't been noted... does that mean they don't remember what happened yesterday again? I sincerely hope this one is a case of bad wording.

The Body Shop improvements sound good. Loves/Favourites sound good. I definitely like the information that traits can be acquired, I was worried about the limitations the previously stated five traits would impose on characters (anticipating either a cheat or one of the first hacks will cover extending starting traits). Detailed thought bubbles feels a shame, but I understand with the more complex character design it's needed. I hope we'll still have a visible grid for placement of objects, while I frequently use move_objects and snapobjectstogrid (45 rotation is always on) I watch the grid for how to keep spacing good for Sims to move around things.

And quite frankly, yay for a mobile mailbox!

Starting to sound more like I'll be holding off simply because I'll want a more powerful computer to run it and hoping neighbourhood building will become available quickly. Still not a fan of unified time, but it's sounding more like I could deal with it with every review I read.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
#22 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thothep
Surprised this one hasn't been noted... does that mean they don't remember what happened yesterday again? I sincerely hope this one is a case of bad wording.

I believe it means that you can go to the memory panel...and instead of memories it will be a list of moodlets experienced. Hopefully there will be a way to filter them so you can just list important ones, etc.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 5:00 PM
"17) Teenagers sneak out at dusk and can be seen around town acting suspiciously"

I love this idea! Can't wait to see it in action.

"37) Difficulty levels per family (suggest how hard a family is to play based on personalities etc"
This is also a really cool idea. I like that some sims will be more challenging to play. It feeds into the idea that a lot of us already have. Some people think playing Knowledge sims is easier than Popularity sims, or super nice sims are easier to play than mean ones. This takes that idea and makes it a bit mroe interesting, IMO.

"40) Hair includes 4 layers: Roots, Base, Tips, Highlights. You can choose any color to apply to these 4 layers and can be saved as a preset. "

This is pretty awesome. Just love the idea that you have this much control over their look.

"56) Sim thought bubble in UI more detailed than before ("thought Cindy was being funny") "

I like this idea. Brings a bit more humanity to the simulated people, IMO.
As for the build and decorating options, they all sound amazing. Like exactly what I would have asked for if they had asked me.

My sims gaming journal. Not very informative.
http://marjchaos.tripod.com/
#24 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 5:10 PM
Am having a slightly mixed response to this (but only slightly)...

Quote:
4) The town is fully customizable and allows you to remove and change Lots and Sims.
Eh... couldn't we do that already?

Quote:
6) Adult now considered more 'middle age' and includes wrinkles.
I was hoping for something like this.

Quote:
11) No Loading when changing Lots or families, as the simulator is running for all Sims, all the time.
That sounds good- my game normally takes at least a minute to load each lot, if not more and, well... Patience may be a virtue, but it isn't one of mine.

Quote:
12) Everything in the game happens for a reason. If someone moves is across the street it's part of the dynamic population management and not some random action.
...okay then, if you say so.

Quote:
17) Teenagers sneak out at dusk and can be seen around town acting suspiciously.
Ooh, this sounds fun!

Quote:
21) Can buy an empty bookcase and buy books in the game. There are lots of books!
Leather-bound, I suppose? My sims only ever read to build skills...

Quote:
29) Careers have more gameplay - No longer just sent to work - Can now decide how hard to work - You can choose a less stressful day but will gain less skill - You could sacrifice hard work for doing more socializing at the workplace.

30) Specific homework tasks for kids, like read a certain book or catch a certain fish.
So school and work gets tougher? Sounds good- I'm tired of having to make an effort to ensure my kids get anything less than an A*.

Quote:
37) Difficulty levels per family (suggest how hard a family is to play based on personalities etc)
Not sure about this one. Might be interesting, but then again...
Mad Poster
#25 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aimsme
Am having a slightly mixed response to this (but only slightly)...

Quote:
4) The town is fully customizable and allows you to remove and change Lots and Sims.

Eh... couldn't we do that already?

I'm hoping that includes roads layout too and land modifications, not just lot rearrangement.
Page 1 of 2