Replies: 52 (Who?), Viewed: 28595 times.
Page 2 of 3
Field Researcher
#26 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 7:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison
I'm mixed on The Sims 3. I'm really excited to be getting more customizable body shapes and CAS features and the like, but the news of getting only one neighborhood scares me. I'll wait until we get more info, and then I'll make my decision.


Yes. I would pick possilities to make your own neighborhood and Strangetown over body shapes any time. Body shapes do not help if the storyline is deadly boring.
Scholar
#27 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 7:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Oceanborn
Yes. I also happen to be more and more displeased about it. I want full control over my sims and I don't want the neighbors I don't play to get married and have kids while I'm not controlling. I thought the sims was about
having full control over others???


That is actually the biggest thing that is turning me off about it from the information we do have. That and the fact that I don't remember seeing anything about whether or not we can personally create more than one family. I also like to have total control over my families as I usually have their lives at least semi-planned before I create them. I do want to be able to create more than one family, but I don't want them to live their lives without my input.
Scholar
#28 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 7:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Oceanborn
But maybe the game will be unmoddable and there will be no such thing as simpe, insimenator or inteen?


Well, as of yesterday, inteen isn't being updated past freetime and insim hasn't been updated for freetime yet so it's looks like you won't have that stuff for sims 3 even if it is moddable
Field Researcher
#29 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 8:00 PM
If they announce at least an empty neighbourhood template for Sims 3, maybe I'll get interested again. But as of now, I don't want it
Scholar
#30 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 8:15 PM
Arf not change mind for now. I will play with the 97 family to see them (need time :p). After there will be a way to change the neighorhood or to create a new one. I pretty positive on it. :D
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 8:48 PM
Why is everyone freaking out? *confused* I guess I'm not obsessed with controlling every little detail of the game. I like that townies will move on with their lives and grow up and get married and have kids. I like surprises. I don't like that in TS2 we have Goopy coming around bothering my sims for the 8th generation.

This isn't a fact, but I assume that our own made sims will be completely in our hands/ not doing things out of our control. Why worry so much? I think this is majorly cool.

And when they say "model your nhood over desperate housewives" or whatever their other example was, they probably mean you can model the nhood over any theme you want, probably in a simple method by the way she described it. Which sounds marvelous to me since I only have a few moments in the evening to play my game so any way to make the modding procedure more simple for players like me is great.

I haven't changed my mind once since I heard there would be a TS3. Whatever features it has I will check it out, however long it takes to get it after its release, and if I don't like it I'll just uninstall it and play TS2. No harm done.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 9:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstonekat
Why is everyone freaking out? *confused* I guess I'm not obsessed with controlling every little detail of the game. I like that townies will move on with their lives and grow up and get married and have kids. I like surprises. I don't like that in TS2 we have Goopy coming around bothering my sims for the 8th generation.

This isn't a fact, but I assume that our own made sims will be completely in our hands/ not doing things out of our control. Why worry so much? I think this is majorly cool.

And when they say "model your nhood over desperate housewives" or whatever their other example was, they probably mean you can model the nhood over any theme you want, probably in a simple method by the way she described it. Which sounds marvelous to me since I only have a few moments in the evening to play my game so any way to make the modding procedure more simple for players like me is great.

I haven't changed my mind once since I heard there would be a TS3. Whatever features it has I will check it out, however long it takes to get it after its release, and if I don't like it I'll just uninstall it and play TS2. No harm done.


Wow, thanks livingstonekat, you totally made my day with that comment. It's nice to hear someone who is espousing a more positive and not as serious approach as opposed to a "let's harp on everything that sounds like it's not going to go exactly to my plan" approach.

Do I like to control my households? Yes. Do I hate it when an ex autonomously hits on my happily married wife and she responds favorably? Yes. Are my simming days over because of this new system in TS3? Definitely not. We will just have to recognize the fact that TS3 is going to be a lot bigger in terms of design and power than TS2 was and as a result, some things will have to change. The game can't please everyone and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who don't consider not making new neighborhoods a deal breaker for them. I'm also sure that those declaring that they will not buy the game will change their tune in the months leading up to game's release. It's still too early to tell.

You play the game for 2 years continuously and you're going to end up with a lot of families and I don't feel like playing all of them but I do want to them to age. I love the idea of an autonomously evolving neighborhood, of townies and sims I'm not playing growing up and living their own lives while I'm not looking and this so far, has been the biggest draw in TS3 for me. People complain that TS2 was not much of a step above TS1. Now they are giving us something very different and people don't want the change. It seems they can't win with some simmers.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 9:56 PM
Not being able to create a custom neighbourhood does sound limiting. I am personally not bothered about it. I do find the idea of a single neighbourhood more exciting. One problem I had with Sims 2 was the separate neighbourhoods. Each of the pre-defined had interesting families but I was not inclined to create a family in each ones.

What I hope with the new large neighbourhood is to have different boroughs, such as an Italian Quarter, a Chinatown etc. I think if this can be done, it would be much more exciting since my Sims can visit all them. Rather than the present Sims 2 style where a Sims in Strangetown cannot goto Pleasant View and vice versa.

So even if the player cannot create a custom neighbourhood, we may be able to create certain areas in it.
Forum Resident
#34 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneer
What I hope with the new large neighbourhood is to have different boroughs, such as an Italian Quarter, a Chinatown etc. I think if this can be done, it would be much more exciting since my Sims can visit all them.


I never even thought of that but that sounds awesome! Like Old Town from Unleashed with the French Quarter theme which I missed dearly. That would be something that would make a great TS3 ep.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneer
What I hope with the new large neighbourhood is to have different boroughs, such as an Italian Quarter, a Chinatown etc. I think if this can be done, it would be much more exciting since my Sims can visit all them. Rather than the present Sims 2 style where a Sims in Strangetown cannot goto Pleasant View and vice versa.

So even if the player cannot create a custom neighbourhood, we may be able to create certain areas in it.


If I can have different boroughs, then maybe I'll like it better. :crossing my fingers and hoping EA announces boroughs:
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 11:21 PM
I won't mind not having new neighborhoods there is very little that will chage my mind the new graphics and design tools are enough for me. I loved beuilding and decorating houses the horrible paint and patterned furniture really irked me so being able to design my own will be a big plus for me. OS those are really big features for me.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 2:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome_raven
If I can have different boroughs, then maybe I'll like it better. :crossing my fingers and hoping EA announces boroughs:


This might be what they mean by saving games in different "slots"
Theorist
#38 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 4:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstonekat
This isn't a fact, but I assume that our own made sims will be completely in our hands/ not doing things out of our control. Why worry so much? I think this is majorly cool.


But what if we don't only have one family? What if we have several families? When we control one, all the others will have all the life-changing things happen without my control. What if, say, I want this teenage girl in one family get married with a teenage boy in the other family. While I'm controlling the girl, then suddenly the boy fell in love with another girl? :mad:

They did say something like "Make a family and then let the game takes over" or something to that effect. :umm:

Not everybody play Legacy challenge, you know. And even those who play don't only play that challenge. I believe they have other families too. TS3 sounds like they modeled it after the Legacy challenge.


Also, I hate the graphics, they look like the come from Bob the Builder world.
Systemic Anomaly
#39 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 5:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Oceanborn
But maybe the game will be unmoddable and there will be no such thing as simpe, insimenator or inteen?

I find this scenario unlikely. The Sims 2 community (and ultimately the business machine) feeds on custom content. It would be a bullet to the head if the game was non-extensible. I do think we may be seeing the end of Edith SIMantics, however. I think you'll likely see a greater emergence of Lua and/or Ruby scripting in the next round of Sims. In which case, we sure as hell better come up with some better decompilers/editors than what we have today.

In either event, it will give Inge and Pete something to do with their free time :^)
#40 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Oceanborn
But maybe the game will be unmoddable and there will be no such thing as simpe, insimenator or inteen?
Maybe it won't even be possible to make custom content. A lot of simmers today would never play the game with only maxis stuff.
But only that you cannot make your own neighborhood and that unplayable sims are changing is enough for me to puke.


you're quite pessimistic, you know? i mean, EA already told us that the game will be more customizable then sims 2; i have only 12 MB of CC and i can live w/out CC, simpe, insimenator and inteen lol, but i think not many people think like me; nevermind, i still keep my spore theory
oh, and it could be possible to choose an option to make time stay still for other houses, just like in sims 2 ...
Field Researcher
#41 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 4:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm_duo
you're quite pessimistic, you know? i mean, EA already told us that the game will be more customizable then sims 2; i have only 12 MB of CC and i can live w/out CC, simpe, insimenator and inteen lol, but i think not many people think like me; nevermind, i still keep my spore theory
oh, and it could be possible to choose an option to make time stay still for other houses, just like in sims 2 ...


More customizable? Why don't they let us make our own hoods then? I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but not being able to make our own neighborhoods is bad news. I can also live without insimenator and inteen but being forced to play the same hood all the time is not good. I'm not trying to be pessimistic.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 7:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeag
But what if we don't only have one family? What if we have several families? When we control one, all the others will have all the life-changing things happen without my control. What if, say, I want this teenage girl in one family get married with a teenage boy in the other family. While I'm controlling the girl, then suddenly the boy fell in love with another girl? :mad:

They did say something like "Make a family and then let the game takes over" or something to that effect. :umm:

Not everybody play Legacy challenge, you know. And even those who play don't only play that challenge. I believe they have other families too. TS3 sounds like they modeled it after the Legacy challenge.


Also, I hate the graphics, they look like the come from Bob the Builder world.


I was referring to all the families we create ourselves I, too, play more than one family. As for "Make a family and then let the game take over" they could mean that you can make a family to live in the extended neighborhood to let loose because it would take some sort of super simmer to control all 90 sim houses so probably we'll have some (and maybe we can choose how many) that we can control on our own and others that we let loose to enter our sims lives and make interesting things happen.

Just speculation and trying to keep positive Again, I'm not really worried about this. Maybe I'm just a trusting person, but I don't think EA would make another sims sequel that downgrades any of the previous gameplay.
#43 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 3:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Oceanborn
More customizable? Why don't they let us make our own hoods then? I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but not being able to make our own neighborhoods is bad news. I can also live without insimenator and inteen but being forced to play the same hood all the time is not good. I'm not trying to be pessimistic.


they said that AT THE RELEASE we won't be able to create new hoods; this will be most likely to change;
also, when i first played sims 2 i played only in strangetown;
now, when i'm playing sims 2 i play only in pleasantview -.-''
it's a 90 lot big seamless hood so this will keep you occupied for some time; also the whole new features of sims will keep people entratained; lol, i hope too that the first hood won't be the only one but... *sigh* there's a lot of time until it will be released; it's not the time to say, with almost no knowledge about TS3 weather we will like it or not;
Field Researcher
#44 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 3:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm_duo
they said that AT THE RELEASE we won't be able to create new hoods; this will be most likely to change;
also, when i first played sims 2 i played only in strangetown;
now, when i'm playing sims 2 i play only in pleasantview -.-''
it's a 90 lot big seamless hood so this will keep you occupied for some time; also the whole new features of sims will keep people entratained; lol, i hope too that the first hood won't be the only one but... *sigh* there's a lot of time until it will be released; it's not the time to say, with almost no knowledge about TS3 weather we will like it or not;


Yes. But in TS2 we were able to make new hoods from the start. Why???
We will be occupied with 90 lots but what about the ones who want an alternative themed neighborhood independent of Pleasant Valley? We are able to put in geeks and aliens but what about the ones who want empty templates to make Victorian, medieval or futuristic hoods?
As I have said I don't think it's a good step of Eaxis to go when they won't give us the abilities to choose which hoods we will play and not be able to make our own from the start. Sorry.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 9:59 PM
We might not be able to make new neighbourhoods at first, but by the sounds of it, there will be an EP or some sort of tool for making our own in the future.

If you really couldn't stand playing the Sims 3 without the ability to create new neighbourhoods, just wait until that EP comes out, then buy it and the game. You'll just have to wait a little longer.

I'm a little disappointed but personally, I think I could compromise. It still sounds way better than the Sims 2.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 11:37 PM
I agreee I never created my own town I always played with one of the premade ones. it was too much work for me. Oh and who says you can not change the town to suit your needs. I'm sure if you can not build your own you arefree to customize an control Plesant valley just like you could rebuild Pleasantview. right?
Scholar
#47 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 11:40 PM
Personnaly I hope there won't be an EP with the neighborhood creation theme. It's not fair to pay to upgrade the game. I'm ok to buy an EP with new themes, animations and such but not with a feature who should be in the base game.
Who should be... Maybe not... I don't know, I haven't play with the Sims 1 and I don't know how this neighborhood creation was added. . But now I'm too used with the Sims 2 and if this creation can't be include with the base game I hope they will release a patch with it.
Is it too unrealistic for you ?
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulageekgirl
We might not be able to make new neighbourhoods at first, but by the sounds of it, there will be an EP or some sort of tool for making our own in the future.

If you really couldn't stand playing the Sims 3 without the ability to create new neighbourhoods, just wait until that EP comes out, then buy it and the game. You'll just have to wait a little longer.

I'm a little disappointed but personally, I think I could compromise. It still sounds way better than the Sims 2.

I agree. The good outweighs the bad, in my opinion. We may not be getting multiple neighborhoods at the start, but it still sounds a lot better than TS2 so far. Improved AI, seamless 90 lot neighborhood, more interactive jobs etc.

Quite frankly, I can wait for the extra neighborhoods.
#49 Old 6th Apr 2008 at 12:12 AM
I'm still skeptical about Sims3. There's nothing interesting yet, and the character designs kind of bugged me a bit after looking at the screenshots. If nothing changes, I'm sticking to Sims2.

Just my opinion.
Instructor
#50 Old 6th Apr 2008 at 2:42 PM
After reading that thread, I have to say that I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks the good will ultimately outweigh the bad. It seems there is a whole lot of negativity flying around, so it's nice to see that there are others who not only want to give TS3 a chance but are genuinely excited about the possibilities it offers. Only one neighborhood, at least to start? Kind of a bummer, admittedly, but I honestly don't care that much. Maybe that's just me, and the few others who have said so. I'm a little more concerned about the possibility of only being able to play one family at a time, but I'll just have to see how that works before I make any sort of snap judgment for or against it. We've only gotten a few sentences of explanation from the source, after all, so there are several ways that these things could pan out in the actual game. A lot of people are still thinking about TS3 in terms of what would make TS2 suck if it had been included in that game. It's hard to make a globe when you still think the world is flat, so to speak.

And as for complaints about the graphics looking cartoonish, take look at TS2! Not exactly the pinnacle of realism or style in my opinion, at least not without all the CC the community adds, and it seems that TS3 is a huge improvement in that department. The smaller grid and better lighting alone are immense improvements, and it looks like a lot of the architecture has been spruced up, too. Besides, we've only seen a few examples of the furniture and decor that will be available, and we've already been told that there will be a lot more opportunities for customization than in previous versions. And what makes you think that we won't be able to add totally new objects of our own creation, just like we do now? Yeah, it might be hard for the community to adapt to an entirely different set-up, but we're a resourceful bunch.

If your complaint is with the appearance of the people, well, once again we've only gotten a tiny, tiny sampling of what we've been promised in terms of customization. Even TS2 had 27 premade faces for each gender (even if several of them were pretty much unusable thanks to looking like trout), not to mention all the things that we could change for ourselves in-game, in Bodyshop or even in outside 3D editors. I think all the faces we've been shown are too round and their eyes are oddly placed, for instance, but I'm sure I wouldn't have to keep those faces for my own Sims. The bodies look more realistic, and not just because of all the variety in body shape we're offered even without custom meshes. So do the facial expressions and body language. And the clothes (just like the furniture and wallpaper) seem to have inherited earlier games' fugly Maxian qualities, so we'll just have to get busy making nicer stuff as early as possible. Sounds like fun to me, but I'm a downloading junkie who has only recently started honestly considering sharing my own content...and I think I might wait for a new platform to try it out on.

Oh, and the idea that the game will be unmoddable is pretty much ludicrous. I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong but, quite frankly, I'm not. That would be an unbelievably foolish move on the part of Maxis. They know that a large portion of their appeal to players, particularly younger ones who will act as a cash cow in the future as EPs and SPs come out, is the ability to create mods, custom objects, cool hairstyles, fashionable clothes, pretty makeup and the like. Eliminating that element entirely certainly wouldn't destroy the franchise, but it could very well all but cripple it for certain demographics. The die-hard TS1 fans will stick around forever, but there are plenty of players who would not look twice at the game if it weren't for the moddibility of it all, and Maxis knows that. If they didn't know that, wouldn't they have done something about pay sites already, considering their own EULA? (And just to be clear, I'm not saying that to start some sort of militant political debate that has already been hashed out elsewhere, I'm just trying to make a point about Maxis' obvious support of the modding community, wherever their other loyalties may lie.)

Anyway, I've gone on for far too long. Basically, my point is to give things a chance before you either write them off completely or embrace them as the be-all-end-all of wonderful improvements, especially when we currently have so little information. If TS2 had been summed up in a few paragraphs, it wouldn't have sounded nearly as great as it is, either. It's not like you have throw away your copy of TS2 and delete all your CC if you decide to play TS3. It's just another option that will be available to you, not a replacement. So, either buy it or don't, but it's a little early to make those sorts of decisions yet.

*phew* Shutting up now.
Page 2 of 3
Back to top