Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 6:58 PM
Well, I mean she no leonardo da vinci, but she can fix things. Moderate mechanical skills, so to speak. But she is excellent at puzzels (have the even been invented yet?) and riddles.

And to make her Victorian, tone down her physical abilities
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 8:58 PM
Skylark:

Thank you very much! Glad you find Johnny amusing...hopefully Mr. Prism decides he has some use for him.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 9:54 PM
I'm working on getting an entry together at the moment (I have a basic outline for the character, who is basically my Durin Fulcwine from Hidden Palace III with quite a few changes to make him more victorian/steam punkish), but it may take a few more days, as I have a large number of tests, final exams, and papers comming up in the next week or two. Is it likely to be open for another week or so?

EDITS:

Oh, don't worry! He's just based on my Durin. His name is going to be Jackson, which I think is human soundingish. And he has a thoroughly normal life - he's a treaurer for a small glue company. He's a bit of a loser.

EDIT: Is it likely this will be open until Friday at least? And should we make sure our person specifically has a talent that could be very useful for an adventure in the name of science?

"Why do we drink cow milk? Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?" -Calvin and Hobbes
#29 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 10:58 PM
I decided not to do a Lara Croft person. my app will be here, with a sim picture (F in art...don't ask)

Mr. Jack Prism
112B Chesterton st.

Dear Mr. Prism,

I saw you flyer posted outside the school I worked in, and I immediatly expressed interest in the proposition. You see, at one time I worked as a physics teacher at a school here in London, but they let me go. Only because the children had told their parents the work I was giving was too advanced. All I wanted to do was give them a well rounded education, but the fact that sixteen year olds were complaining about advanced physics (they use the same textbook in Gutenburg, just translated) upset me. I was ready to quit myself, but they fired me before I had the chance. Well, I did not write this letter to you to complain, but I feel I am qualified for this expedition. You see, if somebody is about to fall off a cliff, I can detect the rate of speed and how long it will take for that person to fall instantly. Hoping that will not happen, of course. I hope you read this and consider this, before you throw it in with the rubbish.

Sincerly,
Prudence A. Hudson

Picture: ((Woot! I drew it!!! It sucks though, but I did it!! and sorry about the size.)
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#30 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 12:44 AM
LadyAshe- Sim pictures are fine.

This is just a general heads up to everyone who is planning to enter: make sure your characters are more or less... erm... human. You've all been pretty good about that, but SpacemanHPSPiff's character's name (it sounded vaguely elvish ) reminded me about that little matter. So... normal humans. No mermaid werefishes with psychic powers.

There's always money in the banana stand.
#31 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 4:34 PM
Default In Which Mr. York and Mr. Prism Ponder Over the Applicant Pool
Jack was sitting at one of the many long, wooden tables in York's laboratory, sifting through a stack of papers. After another moment of shuffling, he scooted his chair away from the table and leaned back, groaning to the ceiling in frustration.

York put down the flask that he had been examining, turning his attention to the perplexed young scientist. "You know," he began, "looking at my ceiling isn't going to make those papers sort themselves any faster."

Jack shot him a look of annoyance, and returned to his previous position at the table.

"That's better," York said with a satisified little chuckle. "Now... let's take a look at the applicants, shall we?"

"Thats' what I've been doing," Jack groaned, rubbing at his eyes with his hand. "Trust me; this isn't as easy as it looks."

"All right, then I'll give you a hand."

"Thank you, I--" before he could finish his sentence, York thrust a small jar containing a well-preserved human hand at Jack. He looked disgustedly at the jar before shooting an irritated glance back at York.

"Now, let's have those applications," York ordered, trying to hide his grin.

Jack arranged the papers into a neat stack and selected one from the top to read. "This first one is from a Ms. Edwina Artois--she claims to be an adventuress."

"A what?" York puffed skeptically at his cigar.

"An adventuress. She enjoys the exploration of 'virgin territory,' apparently, and appears to know how to use a variety of weapons." He paused, raising his eyebrow at a sentence he had missed in his first read-through. "And... she can fly a zeppelin."

York's eyebrow rose in a similar fashion. "I see..."

Jack produced another sheet of paper from the stack. "This next one's from... oh, you may have heard of him, actually: Lord Montgomery Mentmore."

"The name sounds familiar. What does he want?"

"He's offered to fund our expedition if we allow him to come along."

"Is he qualified?"

"What on earth difference does that make? He's offering us money!" Jack stopped, though, and read through the letter a second time. "For the record, though, he is qualified. He appears to more or less be an independent student of the sciences, and he says that he's a skilled marksman."

"Oh, that's where I remember his name from," York mused, speaking to no one in particular. "He led an expedition in Bombay a number of years ago." He shook the burnt ashes off of the end of his cigar before returning his attention to Jack. "Go on."

"Well... oh, this next one's highly unusual. It's a letter from a priest--"

"A priest?"

"--on behalf of one of the children in his orphanage."

Apparently, York hadn't prepared himself for this sort of surprise. "A child?" he spluttered. "Are we nannies now?"

"Now, now... no need to get your labcoat in a bundle. She's much younger than all of our other applicants, but youth has its uses, you know. If one of the pieces of the key is hidden in a hard to reach spot, she might be the only who can get at it."

York snorted. "All right, fine. I see your point."

Jack selected another paper from the pile. As his eyes skimmed the page, the grin on his face grew larger and larger. "I think you'll like this one: it's from another adventurer named Elijah Steel. He claims to have heard about our exploits from the Land of the Rising Sun."

"How the devil did he hear about this from all the way in Japan?!" York exclaimed. "Here, let me see that."

Jack chuckled under his breath. "Here you are; he's included a picture, by the way."

York pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and examined the application. Within a matter of seconds, he had been reduced to staring with an open-mouthed look of shock. "Is he... does... does this chap have wings?!" He began laughing audibly. "Did he get lost on his way to some sort of costume party?"

The two scientists indulged in a bout of laughter for a moment before resuming their arduous task.

"Oh... oh my," Jack whispered. He had pulled out the next application, and the smile had been instantly removed from his face. "Here... I think you'd better take a look at this one."

York was still sniggering quietly when he took the application from Jack. "Let's see here... oh, another one from the Orient, I see. Mhmm... son of a doctor, trained in the martial arts... Good heavens! Is that fellow wearing LIPSTICK?!?!" He spat his cigar out with alarm and dropped the paper on the floor. "Let's--ah--see who else we have. Oh good gravy, he has eyeshadow, too!"

From that point on, the two men opted to hurry as quickly as they could through the remaining letters.

"Mr. Muggeridge: a mechanic with no family."

"No ties. Perfect."

"A female surgeon who dabbles in the occult."

"Of the same breed, no doubt, as the fellow with wings."

"This one's intriguing--he goes by the name 'Dark Johnny.'"

York looked quizzically at the spatters of blood on that particular application. "Sounds... like a charming fellow."

"Durin Fulcwine?"

"A nice, British name."

"And here's our last one for now... one Ms. Prudence A. Hudson."

York sighed and rubbed his temples. "And what does she do?"

"She claims to be a... physics teacher?"

York snorted. "Please. Physics? That's an almost untouched territory, and hardly anyone knows a thing about it. I'm not even qualified to teach it. Actually, no one will be for a few decades to come, in my estimation."

The two scientists looked wearily at each other. "Well," Jack sighed, pushing the papers to one end of the table, "that's everyone."

York lit a fresh cigar, looking at Jack through the newly rising smoke. "Well, Mr. Prism; it seems we have our work cut out for us."

#32 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 4:46 PM
((xD Oh... my. I completely forgot about him having on lipgloss. Bahahaha. Oh well. Best picture I could find to fit him.

;]))
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 12:10 AM
((Is it likely this will be open until Friday at least

I'm gonna try to get us started sometime this coming weekend - Saturday the 16thishly. Don't want to let it go too long, but a good character might be able to hop on at the last minute after we've gotten a couple posts in.

? And should we make sure our person specifically has a talent that could be very useful for an adventure in the name of science?

One should have some use to the expedition but it doesn't necessarily have to be something as grand as mastery of a weapon or anything extraordinary. It will be rather pulpy and over-the-top but... someone believable with some good skills... linguists, navigators, even something like a porter... having an interesting personality and a few good skills. Yeah. I'm rambling. ))

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 12:26 AM
Ah, thanks so much, HP! Saturday works nicely for me, so I'm happy. I am very much hoping more people will join soon - it's such a fun topic, and there are many good writers here so far...
(Sorry for a slightly useless post. Just thanks for the response! This will help me plan when I need everything done by. I'm just have to color my drawing now, and finish up his background...)

"Why do we drink cow milk? Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?" -Calvin and Hobbes
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 7:11 PM
Dear Mr. Prism,

I am writing in response to your sign I saw posted out side the bakery shop. My name is Maggie Farwine. I am but a kitchen maid with a desire to be more. Since my childhood I have dreamt of seeing the world. I have few skills, mostly of the domestic sort, but I am young and willing to learn all I must in order to serve.
I do have two other skills that maybe of use to as well. The first is writing. Now I know that this is a skill that is quite common in today’s society, but I write what I see. I have row upon row of books, most dating back to my childhood, where I have meticulously recorded all that I have observed of the Lord’s house my mother served in. There are many family skeleton’s hidden among those pages. I do not write servant gossip, but the truth as I have observed it, although I will admit at times that gossip has urged me to discover the truth.
My last skill is my ability to be invisible. Now please, don’t through my letter away believing I lie. When I say invisible I do not mean that hocus pocus vanish into thin air nonsense, I just have no other word to describe it. I can be in a room and just blend in. I am there, people can see me if they choose to do so, but most don’t. I am a quiet girl, people either forget I am there, or think a kitchen maid is to brainless to understand. It is in this way I have learned and recorded my most accurate observing.
I do not know if either of these skills can be of use to you, but surely at the very least you will need someone to cook and clean for your group as you go about important business. I pray that you will honestly consider my application. My dear mum passed away a month ago, severing all ties I have to this place. Please help a poor kitchen maid to be a part of something as important as serving her Majesty in the name of progress.

Sincerely,
Maggie Farwine

I hope I did this right, let me know if I need to change anything.
#36 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 10:13 PM
Wings.. eheh.. well sir, the Japanese Empire have always been ahead on technology. *taps nose*

EDIT: My parents have decided we're changing ISPs. So I won't be able to get on as much while we're sorting it out. I'm not dropping out though, I'll just have to get on the college computers and thus be slightly less active :p
Test Subject
#37 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 4:32 PM
(( We don't have to have a picture now, do we?! I really suck at drawing humans ...
But maybe it helps when I saw that I imagined my character to look a little like the actor John C. Reilly ...
Maybe I can do something with a picture of him so it looks like a sketch, would that be allowed? ))
#38 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 4:31 AM
Was it physics?? It was whatever Newton was doing, which I believe was physics..Ahh, brain hurts!! That was in Renassiance era right *scratches head*
#39 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 6:10 AM
Gerbera- As far as I know, you don't *need* a picture at all--although I believe HP has offered to make pictures for some of the characters.

LadyAshe- Yes, Newton worked with physics--but at this point in history, physics was a somewhat unexplored territory, and scientists who had any real grasp of it--much less people with enough mastery of it to act as teachers--were incredibly rare. Don't worry; we're not beating anyone over the head with the Historical Accuracy Stick. We're just having a little fun with the other characters before the actual story gets started. :D

Lab Assistant
#40 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 7:44 AM
((pssst HP i sent you a PM asking a question in regards to my app....I know you are busy and must have tons..but in case it got lost in the shuffle Oh and please delete this :P))

See how crazy all your fellow simmers are! The MTS2 Community Neighborhood
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 1:10 PM
((Yeah, as jhd said, don't worry too much about the pic right now. Once we get under way and get a better idea of who everyone's character is, I'll draw character pics. I hope to have ones for Prism and York finished by the time we get started... York is almost nearing done... (cropped so you can't see the unfinished parts)

...))

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
#42 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 11:29 PM
Do you think you can fix mine if Prue gets chosen?! (picture I mean).
#43 Old 15th Jun 2007 at 12:30 AM
((Um... I don't need anything drawn, but is it alright if I change my picture? I'm sorry-- but I found one that suits him much better... ))
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 15th Jun 2007 at 10:00 PM
Ok I've updated with my application here . I hope it's good enough....*bites nails*

See how crazy all your fellow simmers are! The MTS2 Community Neighborhood
Field Researcher
#45 Old 16th Jun 2007 at 3:58 PM
Default Jackson D. Foster
Mr. Jack Prism
112B Chesterton St.
London, England

Jackson D. Foster
505 Clifton St.
London, England

Mister J. Prism,

I am writing on account of your advert which I found nailed up in a small pub I frequent on occasion. Naturally I was rather suspicious of your offer at first, in view that it was in a pub, and that the pub was not one of particular respectability nor of quality. However, over the last week I have seen your flyer throughout the city, and have deemed it to be legitimate. Forgive me, but I could not help but have been skeptical for your advert is rather vague and has few specifics. Yet of course, the mystery is part of your expedition’s intrigue.

I work at Collins’ and Foster’s Glue. It’s a rather small company that produces the absolute finest quality glue, or at least as high quality as glue gets, which is admittedly not too much. My father is the man who originally started up and managed the business with my uncle, but after his recent death his position was handed over to my cousin. I have few grievances with this arrangement, as I never have been the type to lead easily. My official title is treasurer, which was perhaps too optimistic a job for my cousin to have created, considering the amount of business we catch. Nevertheless, it’s quite a good trade – fish glue, rubber glue, bones…

As part of my duties are to search out the various fishmongers, rubber traders, and other businesses with products that could be used in glue, I have a large set of the latest and most correct maps as well as an older collection from the family. I know my way around England well, which I suppose could be of use to this mysterious and ambitious endeavor of yours. I am also partially familiar with the Mediterranean. I unintentionally stowed away on a ship of a rival glue company some time last year after a meeting with their company’s manager of small importance; upon leaving I accidentally concussed myself after tripping down a hatch, and woke up to find I was passing by France and on my way to the Algiers. I ended up having a month to quietly promote my company along the coastal cities (though I made sure this was not apparent to the livid captain), and in that way have become familiar with the port cities of several countries of the Mediterranean.

I tell you this, for I will have to be perfectly frank. I am in rather a hurry to go on an expedition as such, for I have as of recent had a need for haste in leaving this particular area of London. There are several people in the area who do not understand our glue, though the strongest we have tested, cannot be used for holding together pieces of heavy machinery. While such people are settling the matter in court proceedings, some feel the need for personal revenge to their ailments. As I am the one to have searched out people willing to invest in our glue, many have taken issue with me personally, and it has been suggested by my uncle that I try to leave London for a while as long as the trial is still being played out. I feel as though I could have use in your expedition, and feel this would be personally gratifying as well as helpful to you. I thank you for your time, and hope you hold me in consideration.

Godspeed,

Post Script - I have inclosed a portrait of me for your purposes.

retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 16th Jun 2007 at 8:53 PM
((Okay guys. Looks like everyone has some great characters and we've got a good crew. I'm going to post up the introduction to the first bit when I get up. If you haven't already, you can add your characters to the S2C RP Database: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...S2CRPCharacters ... you'll need to register a separate wiki username, and copy the template on the M page that I did for Merun to make your own.

Especially because we're doing this in letter format, having a description of your character there (whether or not you have a picture) will be helpful as everyone gets to know one another. And yes, of course, you can change pics.

Yay, this is gonna be fun!))

#47 Old 16th Jun 2007 at 8:59 PM
((Thank you HP! : D

*runs off to change picture* Can't wait for this to get started...))
#48 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 5:20 AM
((I've added Lord Mentmore to the character database. I'll create a picture of him at some point, hopefully, but until then you'll all have to use your imaginations. :P

I wasn't sure whether to post him under M for Montgomery (or Mentmore) or L for Lord, so I just picked L because the page was empty and looked lonely.))

Lab Assistant
#49 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 5:55 AM
((Okay, I added Edwina, but I don't think I did it right...there's no border around her entry. If somebody could either fix it or tell me what to do, I'd be quite happy.))

*counter culture since '03 and counting*

"LMAO wtf r u syaing?!!1!"
The above sentence is not english. I only understand english. Thank you.
#50 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 6:37 AM
((I fixed it up as best as I could... you're still missing several important bits of data though, so you might want to go ahead and add those at some point.))

Page 2 of 7