Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:20 AM
Default Plans for College
To those who have yet to complete their high school education and plan to attend university- what do you intend to major in? Do you have your eye on any prospective universities, and if so, which ones? Are you looking to participate in extracurriculars at college? Talk about it here!

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:25 AM
My original plan was to go to an Acting Conservatory after HS, to be an actress. But I feel like I'll just be wasting eleven years of education. At one point I wanted to be a Journalist but their is no money in that (not when we have the Internet).

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:30 AM
I want to do something in either chemistry (don't ask me to name a field, I prithee!) or astrophysics.

The only schools that I've seriously looked at are the local state university, and the ones I have only marginally better than a snowball's chance in hell of getting into, like Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, and Johns Hopkins.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:30 AM
I thought about journalism for a long, long time- I've spent five years in student publications and I love it dearly, but not only is working at a newspaper a thankless, low-paid job, but print is a declining industry with the rise of the Internet. If there's a student newspaper at the college I choose, I would be more than delighted to work on it, but I think that it would be the end of my journalistic career.

I've thought about all manner of occupations- when I was little, I wanted to be an archaeologist or an astronomer, but I've since settled upon being a psychologist. I know that I'll major in psychology, but I'm debating whether to minor in English literature, creative writing, or literary theory. I know that I'll do my graduate work at the state university, because it has one of the best psychology programs in the nation (the ONLY good thing about Indiana), but it's the undergrad that I'm debating. One quibble about the college that my parents want me to attend (a private college half an hour from my home with a good reputation and a great football team) is that physical education is required for any degree... dammit, and I thought I was done with that part of my life .

My dad is a chemist, FurryPanda, and he directs manufacturing at a computer company to make sure that their products don't blow up :P. I've always wondered what sort of things one could do with a chemistry degree, because there's not exactly a high demand for chemists.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
I've thought about all manner of occupations- when I was little, I wanted to be an archaeologist or an astronomer, but I've since settled upon being a psychologist. I know that I'll major in psychology, but I'm debating whether to minor in English literature, creative writing, or literary theory. I know that I'll do my graduate work at the state university, because it has one of the best psychology programs in the nation (the ONLY good thing about Indiana), but it's the undergrad that I'm debating.

Woo a fellow psychologist! I'm already at uni doing forensic psych. Any idea what kind of area you would like to go into?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:35 AM
I think social and developmental psychology are fascinating, but whatever I do, it needs to be in a clinical setting such as a hospital or a research facility. I did a job shadow in a counseling setting and knew that it wasn't for me. Too informal, too boring, and too many children .

Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:42 AM
Yeah I don't think I would like to do counselling either. I think that listening to other people's problems all day would get a bit depressing after a while. But saying that, I want to work with criminals which probably isn't much better!
Clinical is good, pays well but it's quite competitive. If you can get work experience or a part-time job in that kind of area then that's a big bonus.
Love your avvie btw, I was watching them today. They're so beautiful.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:43 AM

My dad is a chemist, FurryPanda, and he directs manufacturing at a computer company to make sure that their products don't blow up :P. I've always wondered what sort of things one could do with a chemistry degree, because there's not exactly a high demand for chemists.

Actually, I don't want to be a chemist. Period is pronounced in that sentence. I want to either be a biochemist for a pharmeceutical company or a chemical engineer for... somewhere. I suspect that the former might be hard to get into, but I know there's demand for the latter.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:45 AM
My eldest sister is majoring in marine biology, my other sister wants to be a Psychiatrist and she's minoring in English Lit. My parents don't really approve of me wanting to be an actress, for them it's all about business, they don't see the beauty in art.

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 3:00 AM
Rabid, this is so weird but I also want to major in Psychology and minor in Creative Writing! Are you copying me? LOL

I want to learn more about Social Psychology and I think I'd want it to be in a counselor setting. I think a clinical workplace would be too, well, clinical for me, but it probably pays more.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 3:09 AM
Okay, I swear I'm not copying you guys.
I want to major in Psychology and minor in Creative Writing as well. That's kind of creepy.

In terms of which University, I would like to go to ANU (Australian National University), but I wouldn't mind going to Uni overseas.
#12 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 9:37 PM
I thought about journalism for a long, long time- I've spent five years in student publications and I love it dearly, but not only is working at a newspaper a thankless, low-paid job, but print is a declining industry with the rise of the Internet. If there's a student newspaper at the college I choose, I would be more than delighted to work on it, but I think that it would be the end of my journalistic career.

I've thought about all manner of occupations- when I was little, I wanted to be an archaeologist or an astronomer, but I've since settled upon being a psychologist. I know that I'll major in psychology, but I'm debating whether to minor in English literature, creative writing, or literary theory. I know that I'll do my graduate work at the state university, because it has one of the best psychology programs in the nation (the ONLY good thing about Indiana), but it's the undergrad that I'm debating. One quibble about the college that my parents want me to attend (a private college half an hour from my home with a good reputation and a great football team) is that physical education is required for any degree... dammit, and I thought I was done with that part of my life .

I'm also pursuing a career as a Psychiatrist, I don't know if you know this or not, just a little info. You will have to take Calculus, Biology, Physics and two years of Chemistry (including Organic Chemistry). It would be a good idea to take more — so majoring in biology or chemistry would be a good idea. Double major: biology and psychology or chemistry and psychology. You don't HAVE to be a science major, but all med schools do have basic science requirements. Check out the med school you want to go to, and see what they require. If it's a lot of hours, might as well major in it. The med school of my choice requires 8 hrs bio, 8 general chm, 8 o-chem, 8 physics, etc.

You do need to take a lot of psychology classes too...maybe minor in that if you want.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 9:42 PM
Psychiatry and psychology are two expressly different subjects, and I have no intention of pursuing a career in psychiatry. Psychologists are not permitted to prescribe medicine (save in Texas and New Mexico, and under strict restrictions, at that) and do more analytical, one-on-one work with patients, whereas psychiatrists look at things from a more medical standpoint. From what I've been told on college visits, it benefits psych majors for their later time in grad school if they delve into psychology, sociology, anthropology, and other social sciences while working on their undergrad. Good advice, just not applicable :P.

#14 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 9:45 PM
Sorry, I misread your post. GAH! I should really get more sleep at night.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:56 PM
Well, this thread is called -College- so I'm going to do it about Sixth Form College haha, because I don't have a fracking clue what I'mma do at Uni (though I'm aiming high! Oxford here I come haha)
I'm planning on taking these subjects- English, Maths, Law, and possibly Further Maths and Computing. But we'll see how it pans out lol
I want to be a writer, but if I don't make it, I don't see how an english degree would be very useful in other careers. Still thinking of options lol, any other ideas?
Em
<3
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emspp
Well, this thread is called -College- so I'm going to do it about Sixth Form College haha, because I don't have a fracking clue what I'mma do at Uni (though I'm aiming high! Oxford here I come haha)
I'm planning on taking these subjects- English, Maths, Law, and possibly Further Maths and Computing. But we'll see how it pans out lol
I want to be a writer, but if I don't make it, I don't see how an english degree would be very useful in other careers. Still thinking of options lol, any other ideas?
Em
<3

English degree is absolutely useless. For everything. If you have not learned how to write a great story from before you got to college, you will not learn how to write one in college. Same with grammar and style, which is your own personal thing, and takes time to develop. Reading other people's work, on the internet and in print, will be infinitely more valuable to becoming a writer than an English degree will.

Unless you want to be a teacher...
If you want to write, journalism is a far better field, but with the internet print media might be the most competitive job market eva. Law requires writing, but its very rigid, and most people don't consider lawyers to be writers.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 11:25 AM
Actually, an English degreee can get you into anything that requires creativity and fluency of expression, from media, to advertising, to book publishing, journalism of any kind, marketing, public relations. Also, any other skills or lack thereof, will determine what you'll end up doing after finishing college. I have to agree with FurryPada though that an english degree won't make you a great writer, but it will give you the skills to recognize a great book and and a well written text.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 9:57 PM
Um... Is there such a thing as a Degree in Music?

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.
#19 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 11:22 PM
I think I'm going to study development studies or become a teacher, but I don't have to decide until a year from now, so time will tell.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 1:58 AM
i wanna go to Parsons New School for Design. i wanna be a professional clothing designer.
it's my total dream. :D
i'm saving up to go to the junior/senior pre-graduate class this summer. it'd would be so fantastic. :D
#21 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 4:14 AM
I want to major in prelaw or english.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 4:22 AM
Self proclaimed health nut, desiring to major in Foods and Nutrition to become a registered dietitian. :]
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Mar 2009 at 1:27 AM
Now I'm looking at Syracuse for doctoral school- they've expressed interest in me and I've always wanted to live on the east coast. UConn supposedly has a good pyschology PhD program, too... anywhere on the east coast is fine with me, because I desperately need to live in a blue state to protect my sanity .

Mad Poster
#24 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 3:18 PM
Now I'm looking at Syracuse for doctoral school- they've expressed interest in me and I've always wanted to live on the east coast. UConn supposedly has a good pyschology PhD program, too... anywhere on the east coast is fine with me, because I desperately need to live in a blue state to protect my sanity .

Is the East Coast really that interesting? I never really liked it when I lived in NC..guess I was just meant for the West Coast. :bombface:

Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 7:36 PM
I looking for unis in the NJ area that teach french and art. If hudson county does so I'm going there :D

Page 1 of 2