Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#26 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:59 AM
The "for dummies" instructions:

Click here: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...g_Package_Files

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:55 PM
Default Custom Content showing up in game
Hi, I just downloaded the custom content for the sims 3 and I followed all the steps to adding custom content but it's not showing up in my game launcher or in the game, any ideals why?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#28 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:27 PM
trish: The custom patterns probably wont show in the launcher whatsoever (since they aren't downloaded or installed via it) but they will show in game - assuming you have done everything right - but they WONT be in the "Show Custom Content" section. They'll be lumped in with the normal patterns.

If they dont show up... well, you did something wrong. :P

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#29 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nei tsukishime
I second this question. Can we make subfolders and will they work in-game?

I doesn't look like we can use folders. I tried HPs new patterns in a folder and they did NOT show up in the game. They worked fine in the ...\Mods\Packages directory, but not when sub-foldered inside there.
Test Subject
#30 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:51 PM
Thank you so much Delpy for adding the acctual file. I don't know why but for some reason or another the Microsoft Gods don't allow me to make .cfg files it always turns it back into a text.

xoxo lulu :lovestruc

Dyslexics Untie :P
Test Subject
#31 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:06 PM
Default sims2 n sims3
is the mod items in sims2 compatible with sims3??
retired moderator
#32 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:10 PM
56343266 - No. Completely different stuff.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#33 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:22 PM
Bah, it's going to bug me that we can't make subfolders to have things organized.

And I must admit to being confused as to why EA chose to completely change the location for cc from what it was in Sims 2.

Has anyone experimented to see if you can force different "versions" to generate? Like for Sims 2 I had a build version set up and my playing version.
Test Subject
#34 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
56343266 - No. Completely different stuff.

so means i cant use all de items in sims3????
oh damn
Scholar
#35 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cfoley1215
Bah, it's going to bug me that we can't make subfolders to have things organized.

And I must admit to being confused as to why EA chose to completely change the location for cc from what it was in Sims 2.

Has anyone experimented to see if you can force different "versions" to generate? Like for Sims 2 I had a build version set up and my playing version.

Maybe we can use different folders but I think that would mean that we would have to add to the code in the first post, and I am not about to do that just yet...

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#36 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:42 PM
It didn't work for me til I read on another forum to change or rename the Resource.cfg.txt to Resource.cfg or it will not work. You will have to enable showing the endings of your files by going to Control Panel+ Folders Options+ Views, untick the Hide file endings.

When you go back to The Sims 3 program file, you should see an ending of .txt on the Resource.cfg Rename it and delete the .txt part off the end. Now it is a .cfg file.

Glad I found that info on the other site, cause no one will tell you that here.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
retired moderator
#37 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:44 PM
lewisb40 - You mean like jc_clara did above?

... and how we removed having to do that anyway and just provided the file so you wouldn't have to?

Lab Assistant
#38 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 12:38 AM
Thanks so much for your tutorial guys - it's very easy to follow!

A good friend will bail you out of jail. Your best friend will be the one sitting next to you saying, "That was SO AWESOME!"
Test Subject
#39 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 1:07 AM
I made a big booboo. I did exactly what the instructions said and downloaded the resource.cfg file then extracted it from my rar. I put it in the program files/Electronic Arts/Sims 3. Though, when I tried to open the resource.cfg file windows asked me to pick a program to use to open the file so I picked winrar. And now it has the WinRAR book pictures icon next to the resource.cfg file instead of the other icon it came with. And when I click on the resource.cfg file it comes up "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged."

Is there anyway to fix this mess up that I did? Can it still work like this or did I mess up too bad to fix?

I deleted the resource.cfg file and then tried redownloading it. But when I extracted it from WinRAR folder it still had the WinRAR icon next to it and saying the same thing.
Giblets for hire
#40 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kazimo
I made a big booboo. I did exactly what the instructions said and downloaded the resource.cfg file then extracted it from my rar. I put it in the program files/Electronic Arts/Sims 3. Though, when I tried to open the resource.cfg file windows asked me to pick a program to use to open the file so I picked winrar. And now it has the WinRAR book pictures icon next to the resource.cfg file instead of the other icon it came with. And when I click on the resource.cfg file it comes up "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged."

Is there anyway to fix this mess up that I did? Can it still work like this or did I mess up too bad to fix?

I deleted the resource.cfg file and then tried redownloading it. But when I extracted it from WinRAR folder it still had the WinRAR icon next to it and saying the same thing.
What OS are you using?
Test Subject
#41 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rick
What OS are you using?

It's Windows XP SP3
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 8:44 PM
Thank you! Works perfectly
Giblets for hire
#43 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kazimo
It's Windows XP SP3
I can't recall exactly in XP, but I believe it has to do something with the File Types under Folder Options.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:10 PM
pardon my ignorance..
I feel like an idiot. This is where I am at. FYI I am using Windows Vista.

I have placed the resource.cfg file in this location:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

I followed the instructions to show all file extensions but I am not seeing txt as part of this file.

I am not understanding how I get the contents of resource.cfg to:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

Do I just 'cut' the file from the location it is at now and 'paste' to 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3'?

BREAKING NEWS! Toilet stolen from police station. The cops have nothing to go on.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#45 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:10 PM
Kazimo, you dont need to edit or open the Resource.cfg in any way. So long as you have downloaded it from here and place it in the right folder, you can ignore it.

Test Subject
#46 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:16 PM
Does it make a difference if I've installed the game somewhere other than the C drive (F, in my case)? I've had games where this can bugger things up.

I've followed the instructions, downloaded a bunch of stuff, and can't see it in game. It's about all I've got left that I can think of.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:26 PM Last edited by airway : 5th Jun 2009 at 9:46 PM.
I attached a pic of how my Sims 3 directory looks. I am running Windows Vista. In the Mods folder is another folder called Packages.

Is this correct?

Additional problem-I am downloading rar files and placing them in the packages folder but the files are not showing up. Am I missing some setting in Vista? I have verified that I am showing all files. I can't unzip these if they aren't there!
Screenshots

BREAKING NEWS! Toilet stolen from police station. The cops have nothing to go on.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:51 PM
I've got a really strange thing happening. Mods I've collected, like the "no zzzs" mod over at Wes' site, are working in the game, but custom patterns (like HP's and my own) aren't showing up in CASt for some odd reason. I've hunted everywhere and have found zilch.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#49 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
Erm, the no zzz's mod is here on MTS... I hope nobody ripped it off and put it somewhere else. :S

Anyway, are you putting anything in subfolders of Mods\Packages? Becuase that wont work.

Also, airway, of *course* rar files wont work - you do have to extract them first (you know, like you had to with ts2 content).

Valshea: Don't matter. Chances are you forgot a step or are putting the files in the wrong place.

Test Subject
#50 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:51 PM
I downloaded some custom content ("Increased Texture Detail & Shine" [MoreDetailedBodies-Female-FullyBarbie] by HystericalParoxysm) but it won't show up in the game.

I placed the packages at the correct location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages), the Resource.cfg is at it's correct location (..\The Sims 3), too.

I tried creating a new Sim, but it looks still normal. I changed skin-colour, age, cloths, ... but it's always the normal look.

Help plz.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Ancient thread, from the dawn of time.
Page 2 of 11