Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:09 PM
Default Well, that lasted!
I recieved my copy of TS3 yesterday morning, played on it a total of about 5 hours throughout the day...and today uninstalled it and put all my Sims 2 games back on! I was wondering if anyone else had done this or was concidering doing so? Saying I don't like the game would be a understatement! Granted my computer isn't that great for it but I hate the way everything looks so cartoony, and if I were to compare it to something I'd say the naff game 'Singles'! The sims just remind me of the people from that game!

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:21 PM
That's a bit extreme, don't you think? :O You should give it another chance, it really grows on you!
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#3 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:22 PM
In your case, why not wait for the patches to come out and the next EP.. You may like it better. the Sim2 base game wasn't all that hot either when it first came out.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:36 PM
*rolls eyes*
Theorist
#5 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:44 PM
It gets better as you play more. Maybe you have to just think it's not Sims 2 and try to give it a chance.

I didn't like it much at first (learning curve) but it's a decent game. I also paid $50 for it and I am going to get my money's worth.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
#6 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LouBarratt88
I recieved my copy of TS3 yesterday morning, played on it a total of about 5 hours throughout the day...and today uninstalled it and put all my Sims 2 games back on! I was wondering if anyone else had done this or was concidering doing so? Saying I don't like the game would be a understatement! Granted my computer isn't that great for it but I hate the way everything looks so cartoony, and if I were to compare it to something I'd say the naff game 'Singles'! The sims just remind me of the people from that game!

Well, I'm not going to bash you, or say you're wrong for not liking it, but have you gotten the strategy guide (Collector's Edition)? It IS sold separately from the game, but it showed ME some things I didn't even know about the game... like some of the places I can go, and what I can do there... what kind of fish I can catch, and other things I can collect. It really is a neat game if ya give it a chance If you've done all that and still don't like it, that's fine... you're not obligated to
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:05 PM Last edited by Oiad : 5th Jun 2009 at 11:53 PM.
I thought they looked like the Singles people too. It's just very console-y.
If my sims 2 game wasn't screwed up I'd go back to playing it.

If you actually play the game you don't need the strategy guide to tell you how shitty the game is.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
Yea, wait for the EPs... They'll improve the game a lot, I bet!
Forum Resident
#9 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:22 PM
I find it so much more interesting than the Sims 2! The sims actually have personalities and you aren't stuck in the same house forever (unless you can stand loading screens, which I can't). I LOVE the game, it's almost everything I wanted for the Sims. I really cannot understand why people don't like it, but definitely to each their own.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:22 PM
Well personally, I love it! I sold my TS2 games back in January because I got utterly bored of them. I was ready for something new, I'm pretty sure I'd exhausted every ounce of fun that could be had from TS2.
I know there are plenty of people out there who aren't bored of TS2 yet, but give TS3 a good chance before you give up on it There's so much neat new stuff, just the lack of loading screens for example!

Call me Kay please :)
Instructor
#11 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oiad

If you actually play the game you don't need the strategy guide to tell you (how) shitty the game is.

I am actually playing the game, and while it does have its faults, I wouldn't call it "shitty."
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oiad
I thought they looked like the Singles people too. It's just very console-y.
If my sims 2 game wasn't screwed up I'd go back to playing it.

If you actually play the game you don't need the strategy guide to tell you have shitty the game is.

Oiad... first of all, that was pretty damn rude of you to tell me that if I actually PLAYED the game, I wouldn't need the strategy guide to tell me how "shitty" the game is. Secondly, I was trying to be helpful to her. She just spent a pretty good amount of money on a game she really thought/hoped she'd enjoy. A LOT of us are finding ways to enjoy the game, because we're determined to. I bought the guide to see just how MUCH stuff there is hidden in the game. So please don't insult me or anyone else any further.

You have said your piece, and I have said mine, so let's leave it here.

CLEO: Thanks for backing me up on that For that, I won't tell your boss you're playing games while at work j/k... would never do that to ya!
Instructor
#13 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:33 PM
Graphics looking cartoony? Maybe the sims a little bit, but everyting else looks absolutely AMAZING. You must have everything on lowest possible setting or something.
Instructor
#14 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tinydancer80
For that, I won't tell your boss you're playing games while at work j/k... would never do that to ya!

Buahahahahaha
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:57 PM
In LouBarratt's defense, the core game isn't going to change. Sure there will be EP's that will change aspects of the game, but the demographic EA is trying to appeal to, and in doing so isolating certain types of players, will not change. As some already said, The Sims 3 is like a game. Once you play it, it's done. TS2 is a toy. You use it to do whatever you want.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:00 PM
TS2 wasn't that great when I first got it. After several EPs, CC, hacks and mods, it became a game I love. I love TS3, and I'll love it more when I get all of the above along with it, but I dont think going back to TS2 would make me very happy, even if it had more content (again, after years of collecting that content...)

nom nom nom nom
Alchemist
#17 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:04 PM
I didn't like it in the beginning but it kinda grew on me. I don't like the skins but I adore the eyes and hands.

I suppose it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:17 PM
Yeah I remember way back when I forst got TS2, I played for a few hours, was totally confused and flustered, and didn't touch it for about another year. There was no CC, the new game play was more complicated, I hated the improved graphics, blah, blah. But eventually I ended up *loving* it.

But, for me, it's time to move on. Just because I like a game, doesn't mean I have to play it forever. TS3 is new and I'm not a god at it like I was with TS2, but it has so many new features that I love. I don't think I could ever go back to playing a personality-less sim. Of course it looks very base gamish but it just makes me excited for all the new stuff that going to come out for it. I think everyone that poo-pooing over it should chill and give it a chance. Play it like it's a new game, not just a different version of TS2.

Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.

Inventor
#19 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:23 PM
People need to stop comparing TS3 to TS2 & expansions, and judge the game on it's own merrits.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Test Subject
#20 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:25 PM
I was disappointed with it at first but I was determined to appreciate my $50 investment. And now I'm slowly growing in love with it! You should give it more than 5 hours. I have really bad ADD and I've stuck it out longer than that lol.
Theorist
#21 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:38 PM
I am finding the more I play it and learn how things work (and there is quite a learning curve involved) the more I am liking it. I had the pleasure yesterday of obliterating each and every individual EA Sim out of a neighborhood and starting it fresh. It is very different from TS2, definitely, but I'm feeling for the first time like a Sims game accomplished something that Will Wright set out from the very start, and that was an immersion into a SimCity game from a single character's point of view.
Test Subject
#22 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:41 PM
The SIMS 2 play style is there, turn off storymode (Use the Hack or the way EA says to do it). Then you have a pretty simillar experience to the SIMS 2 game. If EA/Maxis wanted to do the SIMS 2 or exactly the same thing, they would have just done more EP's for SIMS 2. This is a new game, a progression of the series.

I'm sorry you spent your money and felt left down. That sucks. But there is a lot to this that wasn't in the Vanilla SIMS 2, yet compared to all the EP's it sure is missing things. But that is like comparing a fully furnished house to an empy house with just the minimal ability to live in it.

Not another signature.....
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BR_FL
Sure there will be EP's that will change aspects of the game, but the demographic EA is trying to appeal to, and in doing so isolating certain types of players, will not change. As some already said, The Sims 3 is like a game. Once you play it, it's done. TS2 is a toy. You use it to do whatever you want.

I've seen this point mentioned by a few different people and I honestly don't see it.

What specific examples of dumbing down or "game-ifying" are you referring to? Missing car entry and exit and baby care animations? It seems likely to me these didn't make into the release due to a lack a coding zots rather than an effort to change demographic appeal.

I've only been able to play TS3 for about 14 hours so far, but it feels every bit as much of a sandbox as the previous Sims titles to me.

Anyways. different strokes and all.
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:22 AM
I get what you guys are saying, but to be honest I won't be touching the game until I either update my computer or get a new one all together. I just spent £100 updating my computer and the infuriating thing is with TS3, on all low settings on graphics it is still very slow and jump, even though I am quite over the minimum requirements. The thing that made me decide to stop playing was the face when the sim would go to work or bed, the ultra speed button would make no difference and I would be waiting over 5 minutes real time for them to wake up....and the same while they are at work. It seems I was spending most of my gameplay doing this and not actually playing the game!

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Field Researcher
#25 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LouBarratt88
I get what you guys are saying, but to be honest I won't be touching the game until I either update my computer or get a new one all together. I just spent £100 updating my computer and the infuriating thing is with TS3, on all low settings on graphics it is still very slow and jump, even though I am quite over the minimum requirements. The thing that made me decide to stop playing was the face when the sim would go to work or bed, the ultra speed button would make no difference and I would be waiting over 5 minutes real time for them to wake up....and the same while they are at work. It seems I was spending most of my gameplay doing this and not actually playing the game!

I COMPLETELY understand your frustration, mine started screwing up at first too, even though my system specifications met the req's. While I WAS able to fix it, I'm not sure I can dole out advice on troubleshooting in this forum I CAN say check out the OFFICIAL Sims 3 website for their FAQ and Tech Support issues Helped ME!
Page 1 of 4