Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#26 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tinydancer80
I COMPLETELY understand your frustration, mine started screwing up at first too, even though my system specifications met the req's. While I WAS able to fix it, I'm not sure I can dole out advice on troubleshooting in this forum I CAN say check out the OFFICIAL Sims 3 website for their FAQ and Tech Support issues Helped ME!

I will have to take a gander . I know, I have nothing against TS3, if anything its more the fact I am gutted! I really enjoyed the realism of the things the sims now felt and are able to do...I somehow wish though that they just brought a Sims 2 expansion out with all these new interactions on it :S .

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:36 AM
The first couple of hours I played it too I didn't like it. Now I'm obsessed. Sure, it's not as fulfilling as Sims 2 because Sims 2 has a billion expansion packs and all the awesome CC and mods. You can't really compare the 2 until they both meet on equal grounds.

I really like the Sims 3. There's alot I dislike too, but I hope those will be fixed (soon!) and stuff will be added in the future.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LouBarratt88
The thing that made me decide to stop playing was the face when the sim would go to work or bed, the ultra speed button would make no difference and I would be waiting over 5 minutes real time for them to wake up....and the same while they are at work. It seems I was spending most of my gameplay doing this and not actually playing the game!

I believe that's a bug, because most people have that same problem. THey're going to have to come out with a patch for it, because I think that's causing a lot of grief.
Sim Princess in Pink
Original Poster
#29 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by candyapplegirl
I believe that's a bug, because most people have that same problem. THey're going to have to come out with a patch for it, because I think that's causing a lot of grief.

I'm not so sure if it is a bug because people with more upgraded computers are saying it doesn't effect them...I'm starting to think TS3 wasn't made for those of us with middle to low rate computers .

EDIT - well I don't understand that...did the proper system check for it with EA and apparently my computer is to slow...but I don't understand, it says you need a min of 2.0ghz, I have 2.70ghz?!!! Ahh I've had enough of trying to get my computer spot on for one game, it is rather silly lol.

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Inventor
#30 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 1:01 AM
I pretty much love it right now. I love how you can see babies needs now. I love we have fishing, gardening, and cars in the base game.

I love how you can customize everything. You can make stuff match fairly easily. My computer is kinda slow with it though.
But popping here and there all over town is awesome lol

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Field Researcher
#31 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 2:05 AM
I enjoy the game. My only real complaint is waiting for them to sleep. Or work. And how easily they get tired. Well at least in my game. They do stuff about 5 hours and by then they are exhausted and then they SLEEP nine hours. so I find my self surfing the forums while they sleep. In fact my sim is sleeping right now which is why Im here!
Test Subject
#33 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:06 PM
Well if you think back to when the Sims 2 first premiered after playing it a few times it got old. Now that we have expansion packs I'm sure most wouldn't even touch the base game alone.

So just give the Sims 3 time. I'm sure you haven't explored everything there is before you came and made this post. But it doesn't even matter because EA gotcha money so meh.

Happy Simming. 21
Test Subject
#34 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
In your case, why not wait for the patches to come out and the next EP.. You may like it better. the Sim2 base game wasn't all that hot either when it first came out.

I actually agree. Ha. I hated the cartoon-like animation, and still do. Can't wait 'till stuff starts coming out.
Instructor
#35 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:33 PM
The sims 3 will definitely get better with downloads and expansion packs. There are some things I miss from the sims 2, sure, but I'm not about to go back to playing it, the sims 3 is still a better game and has the potential to really be awesome. If you truly enjoy ts2 more, by all means play it, but I personally am loving ts3.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
The sims 3 will definitely get better with downloads and expansion packs. There are some things I miss from the sims 2, sure, but I'm not about to go back to playing it, the sims 3 is still a better game and has the potential to really be awesome. If you truly enjoy ts2 more, by all means play it, but I personally am loving ts3.

Me too... and I'm determined to... that's why I bought the strategy guide. I wanted to make sure I was getting ALL this game has to offer before I made up my mind that the game sucked or whatever.

I even love little things about the game like that the mom-to-be HAS to take 4 days off of work when pregnant. In TS2, I remember the mom could go back to work the DAY OF childbirth. This way, you think twice about popping out TONS of kids... it's more realistic. Most ppl don't have 20-30 kids over a lifetime (except for PSYCHO octuplet mom). Anyhoo, that's just how *I* feel
Test Subject
#37 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:40 AM
I need to get a whole new computer to enjoy this stupid game properly. I meet the requirements and it looks like it was drawn in paint. By a blind person. Who sucks at art.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:42 AM
You really have to grow your neighbor hood...that is when it really gets interesting
Test Subject
#39 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:48 AM
im jumping on the "didnt like it at first but now i love it" band wagon. there is a learning curve... which i guess is something we, as simmers for years, didn't expect. But once you get passed that it's awesome! the job opportunities, the collections you can have, the traits, the places to explore in town... its pretty neat.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:57 AM
I love TS3 could never go back TS2. Im use to the neighborhoods - love visiting random neighbors.

Life is random - expect the unexpected!
Sims 3 Creations
Eminence Grise
#41 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:08 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 7th Jun 2009 at 3:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by BR_FL
As some already said, The Sims 3 is like a game. Once you play it, it's done. TS2 is a toy. You use it to do whatever you want.

I don't get this at all. How do you finish the Sims 3? There's no end boss to kill. How are you gonna be done with it, any more than Sims 2? *scratches head*

I was surprised at how similar to Sims 2 the basic Sims 3 gameplay IS, actually. Every gameplay system is made a little bit more complex, there are a lot more different kinds of things for sims to do, there are a lot of different kinds of short and long-term goals available but every single one of them is completely optional and can be ignored. Aside from needs, which are the one common thread from Sims 1 onwards. And even those can be toned down using happiness rewards, which is more than you could do in Sims 2.

The big difference is story progression, and to me, that gives the game much MORE continuous playability, not less. Switch families and you'll never be in the same situation twice. The town and everything in it changes every day, which means there's an endless supply of difference and unexpectedness. There are more ways to play, endless variety.

The other big difference is the much wider variety of sim lifestyles the game makes possible. I've tried a career-focused sim, a skill-oriented couple, a breeding-oriented family, a fisherwoman/collector, and a sim with no house or possessions who lived off the land and did exactly what she felt like (which in her case was sleeping with a lot of guys and using their homes for her needs). Sims 2 pretty much forced you to do ALL of that with EVERY household... hard to survive without a job, job required friends and skills, for EVERYBODY. In Sims 3, you can be completely friendless and get ahead, you can get ahead without ANY skills, you can live just fine without a job or with an undemanding part-time job.

So, yeah, this whole "sims 3 is something you'll play through just once" does not resonate with me at all :/
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:19 AM
Quote:
Me too... and I'm determined to... that's why I bought the strategy guide. I wanted to make sure I was getting ALL this game has to offer before I made up my mind that the game sucked or whatever.

I even love little things about the game like that the mom-to-be HAS to take 4 days off of work when pregnant. In TS2, I remember the mom could go back to work the DAY OF childbirth. This way, you think twice about popping out TONS of kids... it's more realistic. Most ppl don't have 20-30 kids over a lifetime (except for PSYCHO octuplet mom). Anyhoo, that's just how *I* feel

Oh Nadya Suleman....one crazy chick :]
I only played the game for a rough hour today on my friend's computer, and even though I didn't get to really delv into the town and everything you can do with it, I fell in love with it. I cannot wait to get my own copy and really start doing things!

Just call me Sam :]
Inventor
#43 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:28 AM
I hated Sims 3 when I first loaded it and tried to create a non-fat looking sim and then tried to create a house and found hardly any objects that I could use to build the house. I wanted to just forget about the game until custom content came out that would make things better. Then I found out that there were cheats still available that would allow me to give my sim more money so he wasn't living in a home he could barely move around in and then I went back to the game and tried again and now I'm hooked. Once I discovered how to plant, fish and talk to the other characters, my sim is having a blast and I'm enjoying the game.

There are so many improvements in this game compared to Sims 2. I would love for some of the good stuff from Sims 2 to be in Sims 3 to make it even better though. Like dates, nightclubs, being able to go into all the community lots but I think those will be added in EPs later because it looks like the base for those things are there, just not opened up yet. I love that my sim can join chess tournaments, play in amateur olympics, go to movies, sports games and the library. I also like that neighbors don't bug your sims by coming over (except as welcoming party) all the time and you don't need to actually make alot of friends either (unless you pick the traits that have something to do with it, like charismatic. I do have to complain about how long it takes for a sim to start doing their actions though or how they get confused if someone is in their way.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:49 AM
I don't think I'm going to get Sims 3 at all. It kind of sucks tho, how everyone has it and is posting Sims 3 pictures and stuff, and nobody is playing Sims 2 anymore. Sims 3 for me looks to cartoony, where as Sims 2 sometimes looks so real.
Inventor
#45 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:55 AM
Sims 3 looks more real than Sims 2. Maybe you're thinking of custom skins that people could download for Sims 2? In Sims 2, without custom skins, all your characters (npcs, townies and created ones) look horrible. Even though in Sims 3 the characters can look pudgy when you first open the CAS, you can edit them somewhat to get slimmer or fatter characters and at least their faces look normal compared to the Sims 2 ones. The eyes are the only thing that really needs to be fixed in Sims 3 and also be able to change the forehead, since right now you can only change the other areas of the face.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jj1010
I don't think I'm going to get Sims 3 at all. It kind of sucks tho, how everyone has it and is posting Sims 3 pictures and stuff, and nobody is playing Sims 2 anymore. Sims 3 for me looks to cartoony, where as Sims 2 sometimes looks so real.

I think the look of the Sims kinda grows on ya. I didn't like them at first either when the VERY FIRST pics of them started coming out. I realized that the basis of my dislike was probably only because I was so used to TS2 Sims, and these were so different from that. But I think I kinda like my little virtual people now
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:10 AM
I really don't understand how the graphics look cartoony. I know it is your opinion but I just don't get it...

I've looked at screenshots, compared them, and I just don't see how The Sims 3 is cartoony. To me The Sims 2 was very cartoony and bland. (I am not talking about CC)
Forum Resident
#48 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bluegenjutsu
Sims 3 looks more real than Sims 2. Maybe you're thinking of custom skins that people could download for Sims 2? In Sims 2, without custom skins, all your characters (npcs, townies and created ones) look horrible.

Personal aesthetics. I still use the Maxis skins (plus Maxis-style intermediate colors) in my game; I only tried out some default replacements for eyes a couple months ago! My Sims seem fine to me (the non-Komei-esque deformed ones, of which there are very few), whereas there's something indefinably "wrong" about TS3-Sims in my book.

Quote: Originally posted by Sim Simmer
I really don't understand how the graphics look cartoony. I know it is your opinion but I just don't get it...

To me, the Sims look too soft and undefined in the face, plus the graphics in general (going by screenshots I've seen, official and by players) look over-bright, over-saturated in color, and poorly-textured, and by turns either too sharp or too blurred: ergo, cartoony.

Of course, I think The Sims 1 had some of the best textures we've seen for the game, so... (Seriously, like that green velvet couch in Unleashed? Amazing. I never felt like a piece of S2 furniture was so touchably real.) Personal aesthetics again. Viva mods and CC.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:13 AM
The things I find pointless.
1. Comparing sims 2 + expansions with sims 3 base game.
If only comparing base games, sims 3 has more things for sims to do, not just reproduce.
If you add pets, ofb/none rabbit hole community lots and seasons, that pretty much gives us the sims 2.
2. Comparing CC realistic sims with none CC sims. Sims 2 sims were not that hot without better skin, hair, makeup and the rest. You want to compare sims, compare base game sims to base game sims.
3. having minimum/abit over system recks doesn't mean it's going to run as smoothly as a computer that's far beond the requirements. Meeting the minimum, means it's going to run, which in this case it did.

jj1010: don't you thing hanging around the sims 3 forum section and complaining about people posting only sims 3 stuff is a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy?

I know the post might seem a bit bitchy, but that's not the point.
I hope we get one thread for those who hate it, one for those who love it, and one for reviews, so everybody can hate or love their game in one place.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zanarkin
*rolls eyes*

*taps foot*

Winning the Game
Don't be absurd. This is a Maxis game! What's to win? You and your sims can play unto perpetuity, getting into entanglements and trying to get out, and by the time you know it, it will be 3am your time, and you don't even have your teeth brushed...
--The Sims 1 Prima Guide
Page 2 of 4