Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:43 PM
Default Really dark inside house
Hi Everyone,

(Mods, if this is in the wrong place - sorry!)

Been playing the Sims 3 for a couple of days (quite mixed view, love some of the new features but missing "the old days" of Sims 2.. like seeing into Community lots!)

One thing I've noticed is that inside my Sims Houses, well, it's really dark. I can only really see anything with all the lights permanently on and set to brightest intensity level. I have loads of windows, but still dark.

Anyone else noticed this? And is there anything I can do to "brighten things up"?

Thanks!

I am taking requests for houses. PM me with your details...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:44 PM
Take the roof off?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:13 PM
I've noticed this too and it's driving me nuts. Sorry, I really don't feel like building my houses with an entire wall of windows. 2-3 windows per wall in a large room should be plenty. Not attractive with a lot more. I thought this was one thing they were mentioning fixing

Sorry I'm no help, just complaining along with ya lol
Theorist
#4 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:42 PM
My game is also very dark. Add in lamps helps but it's darker than I want.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:53 PM
Have any of you tried turning the lights on to the bright setting? I just discovered that last night - I had heard about it before but forgot, so I was really pleased when I remembered it. You can click on a light and choose the color of hue you want the light to give off, and you can choose to make it dim, normal or bright. You can set this to one particular light or to all the lights at once. It's great!
Instructor
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:55 PM
I think one of the problems is scaling. The windows just do not provide enough light form the outside. Another factor is Maxis do seem to like designing really dark buildings.

I moved my sims into one of the houses that came with the standard game and the inside looked pitch black. after spending around an hour revamping it though it is a lot brighter now. So you might want to think if the decor is adding to the gloom. But the windows do not seem sufficant and I think as well the fact ceiling tiles are also seems to make things feel and look more gloomy!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:19 PM
I've noticed this as well. =/
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:24 PM
I've only noticed this with really large rooms. I just put a light in the rooms that gave me any personal issues.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:55 PM
Along the same lines here. Is there anyway to make it permanantly show Daytime?
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:02 PM
Yeah. The dark in my sims' houses bugs me- I like rooms to be big, light and airy. Not dark and gloomy. Even with an all-white room (walls, carpet, furniture, etc), the room is still really dark. It bugs the frap out of me.

With a name like Saxy, you know it's unique.

Don't know what a TARDIS is? Click Here to find out!!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
I've noticed this too maybe they'll fix it in the near future or maybe someone will make a mod for it
Test Subject
#12 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
Mmmh... Well, I noticed that it's quite dark inside a house, even if you have lots of windows, like you guys said. But I can change that in my game by just buying lights and set them to bright. After that, everything is just fine and there's no reason to complain about anymore. So, did you check and alter your graphics settings a bit..? Maybe that could help.
Test Subject
#13 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:42 PM
Yes I spotted this, so I choose the lightest coloured wallpapers and floors and plenty of windows, so it's not so annoying.
Test Subject
#14 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 11:29 PM
I noticed that too. But when I fiddled with the graphics settings it made a bit of a difference.
Alchemist
#15 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 11:59 PM
It does suck. Lights have to come on even in the middle of the day. The cheapest/smallest windows might as well not even be selectable in the catalogue, as they do next to nothing.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:24 AM
Like Tayla, I think this may be related to the graphics options. I had fairly dark rooms, yet after turning up the lighting option, it wasn't so bad.
Test Subject
#17 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 2:05 AM
Yep, I noticed it I have lots of lights around but it still seems very dark. I thought it was my computer settings. Glad to hear it isn't only me who noticed.
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 5:32 AM
Dark rooms could be due to a variety of factors

1) Lighting (overhead lights are the best)
2) Windows (or lack thereof)
3) Tiles (your tiles may be too dark, so it gives the illusion of a dark room)
Field Researcher
#19 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 7:44 AM
It is too dark. Even in the daytime. And you should not have to have lights turned on bright during the day. Who does this? Also, Sims have very limited funds starting out. Where do you get all of this money to add windows and lights?

Have a bright platinum diamond day!
Deb
Test Subject
#20 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:08 AM
I've only had this problem in VERY large rooms. Otherwise lighting (natural or bought) hasn't been an issue.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:28 AM
My houses looks fine...I love the new lighting engine.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 9:57 AM
I don't like the lightning inside houses either, but I just use big windows and lots of ceiling lights. It bothers me most that even during day time certain objects do not show their true colours and are permanently placed in a shadow, like the sheets on the bed, and they look dark and dirty because of that.
Test Subject
#23 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 11:37 AM
My only problem is lots of the lights are visually unappealing.
Instructor
#24 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:23 PM
This will change soon i anm sure Iceciro
Forum Resident
#25 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:36 PM
The more I hear about this Sims 3, the more it sounds really sucky. Still have not bought a copy and not sure I will after this thread.
Page 1 of 3