Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 5:49 PM Last edited by mangaroo : 10th Jun 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: please do not wrap bold tags around your entire post
Default "Pointless" traits?
Hello people!

I was just wondering, with so many traits (60 or so I've heard) how many traits to you find just pointless?

Which ones annoy you the most?

Which ones are your favorites?

Oh, and is there anywhere I can find a list of all the traits in the game?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:01 PM
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Traits

Those are all the normal chooseable traits. There's about 6 others you can get if your sim is a child of a sim in a certain profession.

Absent-minded is quite possibly the most annoyingly pointless - sims should do what they're told, not forget halfway to doing it as if they were bugged.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:07 PM
As much as I love that Sims can be vegetarian (because I am one too), I still don't see the point in it outside of aesthetic value.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:07 PM Last edited by boolPropped : 11th Jun 2009 at 7:06 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Traits

Those are all the normal chooseable traits. There's about 6 others you can get if your sim is a child of a sim in a certain profession.

Absent-minded is quite possibly the most annoyingly pointless - sims should do what they're told, not forget halfway to doing it as if they were bugged.

Thanks.

I heard someone say that Absent-minded just makes them pause from what they're doing for a moment, not completely forget it. I am still thinking about making a sim with that trait just because. >.> A little cynical I know, but I am curious.

Quote: Originally posted by blackdaisies
As much as I love that Sims can be vegetarian (because I am one too), I still don't see the point in it outside of aesthetic value.

I thought someone might mention that!

I kind of agree with you there. And there's the downside of them getting sick from eating meat.

Wait a second...whilst scanning this list I see a "can't stand art" here. Now THAT is pointless. Who wants a sim who gets disgusted at art?
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blackdaisies

Did you miss the part part about "it's rumored that vegetarian sims live longer lives" ? Haven't done any empirical testing of this yet, however. I've only got about 10 days on my one vegetarian sim so far. You do get alternate recipes to prepare.

Seems about as useful/useless as any number of other traits to me (clumsy, hot headed, hydrophobic, loser, unlucky, never nude, etc.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
Did you miss the part part about "it's rumored that vegetarian sims live longer lives" ? Haven't done any empirical testing of this yet, however. I've only got about 10 days on my one vegetarian sim so far. You do get alternate recipes to prepare.

Seems about as useful/useless as any number of other traits to me (clumsy, hot headed, hydrophobic, loser, unlucky, never nude, etc.)

I had missed that until I finished reading over all the traits, as it was listed near the bottom.

A trait I have mixed feelings about is "technophobe."
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:29 PM
Yeah, it seems to me around half of the traits are mostly there just to establish personality and offer no benefit (or in some cases actually hinder) your sims from a min/max perspective.

I'm happy to have the options though, for sure.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:34 PM
Yeah, it seems to me around half of the traits are mostly there just to establish personality and offer no benefit (or in some cases actually hinder) your sims from a min/max perspective.

I'm happy to have the options though, for sure.

Me too. At first, I was pretty uninterested in getting TS3, but as I spend more time here I am kind of warming up to the idea of purchasing the game.
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:37 PM
What's with the nude thing? They are never nude? huh? What, do they take showers in their bathing suit? Seems kind of weird.
Scholar
#10 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:37 PM
It's not annoying at all, but I don't like it much because it doesn't actually DO anything. Frugal. My frugal sim can cut out coupons for things in the newspapers (things he doesn't need..) and once in a long while he will get a desire to buy something with a coupon. Other than that.. it really doesn't do anything.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:39 PM
philgrocholl- Yes, they take showers in their bathing suit. ^.^

kewpie - Well, frugal to me doesn't seem really pointless. It can help you save money? With the downside that your sims won't actually appreciate it when you buy expensive things...
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:40 PM
I only wish that the insane trait didn't make the sim put on one of her random outfits. My insane sim mainly walked around in her bathing suit and slept in her formal outfit. o.0 I like everything else about that trait except for that.
Scholar
#13 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:41 PM
I like all of them - it adds an edge of realism to the Sims reality and an opposite to some of the "nice, normal, ordinary, run-of-the-mill" Sims. Even the ones that might be annoying to some people add variety. Why would someone want a Sim whose a technophobe, or who hates Art, or whose afraid of the dark? Variety, realism, to create Sims who are polar opposites.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TRIriana
I like all of them - it adds an edge of realism to the Sims reality and an opposite to some of the "nice, normal, ordinary, run-of-the-mill" Sims. Even the ones that might be annoying to some people add variety. Why would someone want a Sim whose a technophobe, or who hates Art, or whose afraid of the dark? Variety, realism, to create Sims who are polar opposites.

Yeah, I believe part of the point of them is to introduce entropy to the social systems. Things can get boring fast if everyone gets along, agrees about everything, and is happy and well adjusted.
Inventor
#15 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 9:56 PM
Whadaya mean you don't know what never nude is?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3955529984/tt0367279

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 9:59 PM Last edited by WCF : 10th Jun 2009 at 10:43 PM.
I had "Clumsy" and it sounded like a recipe for laughs later... but it didn't do anything but make the sim stumble (not even in a funny way) every once in a while while he was walking.

...I guess maybe if it was an NPC with this trait it might be amusing though? lol

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:26 PM
Yeah, I believe part of the point of them is to introduce entropy to the social systems. Things can get boring fast if everyone gets along, agrees about everything, and is happy and well adjusted.

QFT

I've seen many people have several sims with the same Friendly, Good, Charismatic, Family-Orientated, Great Kisser traits. Can someone say boring? These "useless" traits adds an element of realism, even though some could have more animations.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:38 PM
Insane sims are fun, I have to agree.
I'm slightly on edge about switching from my pyro + burglar sim though, I dunno if they will proceed to ransack the town afterward without me around... ^^;

Edit: A pointless trait to me, would be the pizza appreciate-thingy trait. It seems too specific..

I am, "The Man". I will get you down... Don't stick it to me... "Drink milk and be non-puntable"
Thank you Mimewhite for making the Seph trench coat.
Instructor
#19 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WCF
I had "Clumsy" and it sounded like a recipe for laughs later... but it didn't do anything but make the sim stumble (not even in a funny way) every once in a while while he was walking.

Same here. I was really hoping my clumsy Sim would be a little cloud of chaos, breaking stuff, falling down stairs, etc...but no such luck. At the very least they could have made it so that they step on the toes of the Sims they dance with.

Count no Sim lucky until he is dead.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:54 PM
I think it depends on how you use those traits. One of my sims collects LT points like crazy because of her traits (loner, heavy sleeper, natural cook, childish, and unflirty). Personally, I like them because they add a lot of diversity to the sims. Before everyone was neat, or flirty, now we can have flirty with a twist so to say.
Test Subject
#21 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:57 PM
I have a sim who can't stand art. He's a jock daredevil slob. It suits him. He complains about art in conversation and gets wishes to sell any paintings on the wall.

I think it's amusing enough.
Test Subject
#22 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
Whadaya mean you don't know what never nude is?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3955529984/tt0367279

Linking to images doesn't explain the reference?

¤´¯`-´¯`¤♥Kaylee♥¤´¯`-´¯`¤
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
I think it depends on how you use those traits. One of my sims collects LT points like crazy because of her traits (loner, heavy sleeper, natural cook, childish, and unflirty). Personally, I like them because they add a lot of diversity to the sims. Before everyone was neat, or flirty, now we can have flirty with a twist so to say.

Pizza appreciation thingy? I didn't see that listed anywhere. Can you only get it from your sim being the child of sims in certain professions?
Test Subject
#24 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KayleeMarie
Linking to images doesn't explain the reference?

That's Tobias Funke from Arrested Development, a TV show--he was a self-proclaimed "never-nude". He always wore cut-off shorts, even under his clothes and while bathing.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 4:45 AM
I think Never Nude. Technophobe would be good for an omish sim but I never used many of the traits and the only thing I like about Insane is talking to ones self
Page 1 of 2