Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Anime Paintings - Default Texture Replacement

by Kadath Posted 18th Jun 2009 at 12:17 PM

48 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 39 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:02 PM
Awesome! I hate almost all the default paintings, so this is a blessing. Can't wait till we figure out how to include multiple recolors for one object, but this will do nicely in the mean time.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:06 PM
This is awesome! I have to ask one question though.. is is possible to make two different packages? I'd love my sims to be able to paint anime drawings, but I don't want to replace the 'object' ones that come with the game.

I'll download and try it out though ^^ Very nice job! You picked a lot of really nice art!
Test Subject
#4 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:43 PM
This is fantastic, the default paintings aren't really my favorite though I hope you find a way to enable both at once eventually this will make it more fun for now. Thank you very much! This is a good choice of anime icons, especially the Etna picture... I'm SUCH a Disgaea fanboy.

One question I have though, though I probably should put it in wishlists... think it's possible to adapt anime pictures to painting choices too? That might be one method of giving us more pictures to work with without replacing too many originals? Just a thought. Anyway, time to give my Sims some anime lovin!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:49 PM Last edited by Kadath : 18th Jun 2009 at 2:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by WolfoftheNyght
I have to ask one question though.. is is possible to make two different packages? I'd love my sims to be able to paint anime drawings, but I don't want to replace the 'object' ones that come with the game.

It should be doable. Thing is, while the buyable paintings are usually made of 4 texture files, of which only one contains the texture for the actual painting while the others refer to the frames and overall mesh, paintable drawings are a bit different. For each possible painting (small, medium, large and for several skill levels) there are 5-6 texture files for variations of the basic picture: they seem to be quite straightforward variations made with simple photoshop filters (like mosaic for istance). It needs some in game testing to confirm how these variatons are used - if they are used at all - and why. Something I still hadn't enough time to test extensively.
Main point would be: when are these variations used, if they are used at all? Do they have to be variatons of the same basic painting following those filters, or can they be triggered pretty much at random, thus allowing us to add dozens of completely different paintings in the game?
Once this is clear, it should be possible to mod in a set of paintable pics - though it would still need a bit of work in choosing subjects: would it be better to choose rather "lame" pictures for low level painting skills for "realism", or only the prettiest ones for best decorating purposes?
Lately I hadn't much time to play the game and test an artist sim to take good notes on how the canvas works, but I hope to be able to do that soon. But I'm sure there are several other players who are investigating the same thing, so we should see some definitive answer soon enough anyway ^^

Quote: Originally posted by MalakaiV
This is a good choice of anime icons, especially the Etna picture... I'm SUCH a Disgaea fanboy.

As for your question about "painting choices", If you are referring to the canvas paintings, yep, same answer I gave to WolfoftheNyght.
As for Etna... Heh, I had probably better artworks around, but I really wanted to put a Disgaea one in. I finally got the chance to play the two videogames some months ago - after seeing the anime adaptation eons before - and I fell totally in love :P
One thing's for sure: once we have a good, stable way to make custom clothes apart from simple patterns, I WANT a Prinny T-Shirt :D

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:54 PM
I agree. I am not too fond of the original pictures, I don't want to replace them. I too would love them to be applied to sim personal paintings. Wonderful work and good job. The CC thing is coming along nicely!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 2:02 PM
cool! Thanks!!!

Russian.
My english is not well.
Test Subject
#8 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 3:34 PM
very good. Very Nice replacement. i love anime artwork
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:12 PM
How did you make these?Was it the same method with sims 2?
Test Subject
#10 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:31 PM
I was wondering if you could tell me how to clone them... as in what program you have used, so i may add some more pics that i would really love to share here... thanx in advance!!!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 5:03 PM
Awesome, these are so great. Is it possible to make some Saiyuki ones too.
Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 5:13 PM Last edited by Kadath : 18th Jun 2009 at 5:26 PM.
@ muaythaianime and JEPC32

I used Project S3PI to extract the textures related to the paintings, replaced 'em in photoshop (using dxt3 compression, though several other compressions do work as well), and repacked into .package format. Simple as that, since these are default replacements and not clones. Snaitf recently discovered how to clone cas parts and, looking at his newly published mods, also objects, but while for clothes Delphy has already put out a first beta program to automate the process, I guess for objects we still have to wait a bit. If the manual editing needed to clone a painting is the same as the one needed to clone a dress, it's much wiser to wait for a tool rather than getting major headaches for each and every painting we may want to add.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 5:25 PM
Hello! I'm Jenna, anyway I was wondering if its possible to just get the cowboy beebbop poster? Cause it's not that I don't like the others, its just i'm not sure i want to lose the normal paintings... But I love the cowboy one so is there anyway could just get that one? ((that was redundant)) Anyway Thanks and bye!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jjtalkitive
Hello! I'm Jenna, anyway I was wondering if its possible to just get the cowboy beebbop poster?

As said, until we have an easy way to add clones instead of just replacing the defaults, there's no way to "customize" such a mod to be somewhat "modular". Unless, well, you open the package in S3PI and remove all the entries you're not interested in, but that means having just about the same "skills" (or better said, amount of time to waste ) needed to make this very mod from scratch.

Things however are evolving fast, and hopefully we'll have a tool to clone objects without having to manually hex edit pretty soon (for cas parts the very first tool of this kind came out amazingly fast). Once we have that, well, the only worry left would be how to avoid bloating the buy catalog with tons of clones.

Test Subject
#15 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 6:32 PM
this is awesome. thank you!
Not actually evil.
#16 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 6:34 PM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing technical details of the creation process. If EA were upfront and forthcoming with free creators, people wouldn't have to experiment and reverse engineer so much. Stupid EA. Glad you all have figured out this much so fast!

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
#17 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 7:25 PM
I'm rather hoping myself that work like this, and other work being done in the same area, leads to someone finding out where the image is stored for the 'memorize scene' option you can use on your cell phone once your painting skill is up to 5. It'd be nice to be able to 'paint from memory' custom paintings.
Test Subject
#18 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:40 AM
WOW! Amazing work! They are gorgeous! I love these. Thanks!
Test Subject
#19 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 4:37 PM
I loved what you did with your pictures and I downloaded them and they look great in my game. Thanks again.
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 4:35 AM
....I LOVE YOU! *glomps and squees* I was really annoyed at the paintings.. I figured I'd just shove a bunch of custom pics into one of the image folders and make my sim paint new paintings XD but that proved more difficult than it was in the sims 2... (It doesn't help that I'm lazy...) ANYWHO... YAY!!! THank you <3 some of the paintings are a little glitchy as you metioned, but even if only half worked I'd still be happy YAY!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! *bows and falls over* ... >.> and on that note... *goes to play sims* <3 :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 7:01 PM
Thanks to the research made by ThomasRiordan - check in the modding forums if you are curious - how the paintings at the canvas work is now pretty clear. And I can say it's definitely possibile to put up a replacement set for them sporting hundreds of pictures.
Fact is, the pool from which a random picture is chosen to be used as the actual painting depend not only on skills but also on traits (evil, genius, artistic and so on) given to the sim. Since this means that a single sim could only have "access" to a limited number of paintings in his life (only those linked to his traits, and very soon after the first ones only those also linked to the highest skill levels), such a project would require a very careful choice in different subjects to actually blend nicely with the gameplay. I plan to do it in anime fashion, but it will take time.

Field Researcher
#22 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 4:11 AM
Okay, so, as a general rule, I NEVER download default replacements, unless someone were to make a default replacement for the MULLET (shudder) they included in TS3, but...

Gaaaah. Haibane Renmei? Jigoku Shoujo? Blood+? Ergo Proxy? Srsly? It's all the series I /totally/ loved but have never met another fan of/wasn't able to find the rest of online/blah, and ended up sorta-kinda forgetting about even thought they're /gorgeous/... o-o
And it's all the /really/ good stuff that throws Inuyasha and all that straight out of the water. And they're /gorgeous/ pictures. And then, of course, the magnificent Evangelion is included here, as well as Elfen Lied, which I've wanted to watch for aaages but never found the time to... Akira, which I searched for for all of 3 hours after hearing the plot synposis but was never able to watch/read... And I always thought the Disgea artwork I've seen was interesting, though I've never really heard much about it at all... Daaang, you're awesome. <3

That I am very seriously considering downloading this says /alot/. I reaaally wish I'd actually looked at this stuff before my Sims 2 game 'sploded just as TS3 came out, because it is bloody /awesome/, and I may have downloaded the whole 400-piece set. xD
Test Subject
#23 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 4:01 PM
Can you made the non replacing package??
I loved your paintings, but i just dont want to lose an option though....
Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 11:25 PM
;~;
could you make this a WinZIP file?
i don't know how to find the resource file
Test Subject
#25 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 5:05 AM
10000000% better

I HATED the original paintings. LOATHED even, they're that horrible.

Thank you very much for these <33
Page 1 of 2