Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 4:13 AM
Default Anachronism in Sims 3.
Some game elements of TS3 seems to be out of date.

For example, newspaper. Reading paper newspaper delivered daily to sim's home and getting weekly news and finding job, sale coupon made sense when TS1 came out first, circa year 2000. But as of 2009 today, it does not make much sense. All game functionality of newspaper can be replaced by laptop computer and web-browsing.

Even desktop computer is becoming old-fashioned. Most people nowadays has their own laptop.

Paying weekly tax via mailbox is getting out of date. They should be replaced by electronic payment via computer.

Mail-order tree seed via mailbox? Visit bookstore to buy a book? Even grocery shopping is rapidly going out of fashion. They should be replaced by Internet shopping or TV home-shopping.

The laptop computer should be basic personal equipment like cell phone in the TS3 game.

I expect all these will be abolished by the time when TS4 will come out.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 4:20 AM
I totally disagree.

My mom still buys newspapers daily, many people in my area don't own a computer period, everyone in my house pays their bills manually, we've NEVER done online grocery shopping and shop online extremely rarely. And I live in a pretty bustling town. Technology hasn't taken supreme control over our lives.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 4:45 AM
I agree about lame, small stuff like coupons...maybe they should be computer based. But other stuff like online grocery shopping I too disagree on. I've never done it and I'm not in any great hurry to try it. Besides, what would be the point of finally loosing the loading screens only to find that as long as you have a computer, you don't need to leave the house?

Also, most people DON'T have a laptop. I don't know where you're from, but I find about 50% of people with computers have laptops, the other half have desktops. Desktops - like the game - are cheaper. Why would they bother scrapping them entirely? Like we haven't already been shortchanged items as it is...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:05 AM
I don't know many that have laptops, they prefer stationary PCs, -because most of them are gamers and the games they play are not playable/recommended for laptops.
And even in this day and age, there are people who don't own a PC at all. Internet shopping? I for one only buy the things I can't find in the stores where I live, and really want, over the net. I much prefer going to the shops.
As for the Sims 3; -there is the technophoebe (sp?) trait. What are they supposed to do?
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wycked
As for the Sims 3; -there is the technophoebe (sp?) trait. What are they supposed to do?

SIM SELF SMAAAASH!

Unless you live in certain European countries (I hear) or South Korea, you're probably not going to replace virtually every action with computer use.

The funny thing is that by this time the past thought we would have long done that, automated all manual labor and some intellectual, and we'd go to work in a flying car or jet pack... We're still working at it though!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:36 AM
I like these things in The Sims 3. It's a quaint, small-town vibe, and things like newspapers and coupons add to the flavor, in my opinion. Besides, newspapers are still delivered. Physical coupons are still available to be clipped. Many services are still available through snail mail. Maybe the option should be available to do some of these things on the computer, but that doesn't mean you have to take away the charm from those of us who enjoy such things. And the Technophobes.
Banned
#7 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:43 AM
A lot of things in this game can be seen as 'out of date', but I think that's part of what gives TS3 its charm. It also makes it a bit easier to have your neighborhood be retro, if that's what you're going for. :P
Instructor
#8 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:55 AM
This is a god game. Would you really want the little dollies your playing god with to be as technically advanced as you are? Just a thought, but I know I wouldn't.
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 7:33 AM
Something to keep in mind is that a lot of places still don't have things like online shopping for groceries. Books I can understand, though nothing can replace being able to go to the bookstore and browse the books before buying them, but not groceries; those things require a lot of logistics for refrigeration and transportation and whatnot.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to have both options available.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 9:25 AM
About the groceries: they have a pretty advanced smart-fridge anyway so why be oldfashioned and order over the internet?

So they made this whole seemless neighbourhood and should have given us even fewer reasons to go outside? It's dull enough as it is and I can't wait for an EP to bring some life to it.

Maybe they should have added some functionality to the web-browsing activity. Allow you to find coupons that way, as well as character traits (facebook-ish stuff).
Alchemist
#11 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 9:59 AM
Not replace, add. Replacing shopping with online shopping would make me hate the game. I've never gone shopping on the internet, aside from recently ordering three books because I couldn't go to the bookstore. Plus, the coupons are realistic because I bet a lot of people, even more nowadays since money's so tight, are using coupons with shopping. If sims did everything online, there would be no reason for a seamless neighborhood. Just cluster all the houses together and let them live. But that's not fun, now is it?

You must live in an ultra-modern city/town if FOOD shopping is "rapidly going out of style" and nobody goes to bookstores anymore.

Also, to your seed comment: Even if your sims bought the seeds online, how would they get there? THE MAIL.
Instructor
#12 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zx1111
Some game elements of TS3 seems to be out of date.

For example, newspaper. Reading paper newspaper delivered daily to sim's home and getting weekly news and finding job, sale coupon made sense when TS1 came out first, circa year 2000. But as of 2009 today, it does not make much sense. All game functionality of newspaper can be replaced by laptop computer and web-browsing.

Even desktop computer is becoming old-fashioned. Most people nowadays has their own laptop.

Paying weekly tax via mailbox is getting out of date. They should be replaced by electronic payment via computer.

Mail-order tree seed via mailbox? Visit bookstore to buy a book? Even grocery shopping is rapidly going out of fashion. They should be replaced by Internet shopping or TV home-shopping.

The laptop computer should be basic personal equipment like cell phone in the TS3 game.

I expect all these will be abolished by the time when TS4 will come out.

Okay, prepare yourself for a reply from a dinosaur.

Desktop might be old-fashioned for you, but I like it. I got a brand new laptop from my employer, as a gift I didn't ask for. Do you know what the laptop is doing right now? It's sitting on a shelf, colleting dust, I haven't touched it for five months. I hate it, it's too small and uncomfortable.

Also, buying grocery online is totally unacceptable for me. I'm a control freak, I need to know what I'm getting. I am one of those people who can spend five minutes picking the best tomatoes.

And buying books online? No, thank you. Sitting at home and browsing shops online can't compare to the atmosphere of a bookshop. My choice of books is based on what wakes up my interest as I browse through the shelves, I always have to read through some pages before I decide to buy the book.

Oh, and I don't pay my bills online, I've got post-office in two minutes walking distance from my house.

Have I forgot anything? Yeah, the newspapers. I don't buy them, but my mother does, reading on a monitor makes her eyes hurt.

So if you ever wonder what kind of a dinosaur still uses all those things, it's people like me, hello, nice to meet you
Scholar
#13 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Oprah
Okay, prepare yourself for a reply from a dinosaur.

Desktop might be old-fashioned for you, but I like it. I got a brand new laptop from my employer, as a gift I didn't ask for. Do you know what the laptop is doing right now? It's sitting on a shelf, colleting dust, I haven't touched it for five months. I hate it, it's too small and uncomfortable.

Also, buying grocery online is totally unacceptable for me. I'm a control freak, I need to know what I'm getting. I am one of those people who can spend five minutes picking the best tomatoes.

And buying books online? No, thank you. Sitting at home and browsing shops online can't compare to the atmosphere of a bookshop. My choice of books is based on what wakes up my interest as I browse through the shelves, I always have to read through some pages before I decide to buy the book.

Oh, and I don't pay my bills online, I've got post-office in two minutes walking distance from my house.

Have I forgot anything? Yeah, the newspapers. I don't buy them, but my mother does, reading on a monitor makes her eyes hurt.

So if you ever wonder what kind of a dinosaur still uses all those things, it's people like me, hello, nice to meet you

What she said.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Alchemist
#14 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:17 AM

My thoughts exactly. I just LOVE going into a bookstore. It's so cozy and quiet, almost like a library, but more homey. Anyone who's too lazy to go to a store and buy the books really shouldn't read. Of course, if you have a reason, ok. Like:

Nearest store is two hours+ away.
Person is disabled/injured and can't drive/walk.
Person is unable to drive and noone can take them. (Kinda like me)
And so on and so forth.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 11:03 AM

... if ya wanna clear up some shelf space, I can give that laptop a good home.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 1:24 PM
*Deep breath in*
Ok... START!

Ok, maybe we don't get our newspaper delivered here in Perth, Western Australia, but doesn't mean that the newspaper is non-existent. I think the majority of the population here still reads the newspaper, and though Perth is quite backwards compared to other cities, it's still more advanced than an average African city. And coupons? we have a one whole stack of pizza coupons here in our house.

Laptops? Well, yes, though most people may have a laptop, not a PC, it should never be able to replace the all mighty PC. And... wait.... I actually know more ppl with PCs than laptops.

My family, and the majority of Perthian, and according to my mum's family, Malaysians, still pay bills by going to the post office, which is a 25 minute walk/5 minute drive, though I must say, paying bills over the internet is getting a lot more common these days, so yeah.... Possibly a good suggestion.

Well, nothing beats the cozy environment of a local library or a bookshop. I'm pretty sure that lots of people go to the bookstore personally, and even if they did buy online, they collect it from the bookstore. Online grocery shopping? Well, i only know one person who does it, so, it isn't that popular. People like to see what they buy. Like the old saying: "Try before you buy"

Please do remember that there are countries where even some people don't even have their own cell phone. For example, Malaysia, though about 99.99% of the urban population own their own cell phone, only about 85% have a computer, and of that 85%, only about 70% are subscribed to internet. They normally go to the Internet Cafe (Kafe Internet) to use internet, as they don't find internet a need, but a want.

And mind you, Sunset Valley is based 25 years before Pleasantview (or was it the original Sims 1 neighbourhood?), so you should be happy EAxis even had computers

Identity Crisis - "Reveal your real identity, Mr. Icognita."
♦Call me Mark, or Mr Invincible Volleyball Player :P♦
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pck
And mind you, Sunset Valley is based 25 years before Pleasantview (or was it the original Sims 1 neighbourhood?), so you should be happy EAxis even had computers

Still makes me wonder why all sims have cellphones now while it was optional in TS2...
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:17 PM
let me correct myself:

Quote:
so you should be happy EAxis even made everyone have a cellphone

Identity Crisis - "Reveal your real identity, Mr. Icognita."
♦Call me Mark, or Mr Invincible Volleyball Player :P♦
Field Researcher
#19 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:46 PM
I wouldn't mind having the option to do more things online although, personally, I very rarely shop online. But the whole point of the Sims 3 was to get your sims out of the house and into the "world". It'd kinda defeat that if they never had to get out of their pjs to get food, clothes, and supplies.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect...Hungry
Scholar
#20 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 3:15 PM
You might also want to keep in mind that TS3- is a prequel to both TS1 and TS2- hence some anachronisms are acceptable- it is set nearly 50 years (Morty Goth is in his mid to late 60's in TS2- his late 20's in TS1, and is 12 or so in TS3) before TS2- the Sim equivalent to the 1950's essentially you cannot expect them to totally live in the 21st century- those Sims that choose can browse the internet and look for coupons on the internet and job hunt on the internet but it is a matter of what you choose for your sim to do.
Instructor
#21 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 3:44 PM
As most of the other people who have replied, I don't think the things you have listed are anachronistic.
Most people I know, especially gamers, own desktops and not laptops. Laptops are for work, where you don't need an especially powerful ram or graphic card, except of course you're in a particular work field.
I'd never ever shop online for groceries, since I want to pick the stuff I buy and, personally, I love the supermarket. And the bookshops, there's nothing like spending hours browsing the shelfs, reading something here and there, but then if I were a sim I'd definetely be a bookworm. The only things I shop online for are those things which are cheaper abroad or I can't get or are hard to get near my place, like books in English or videogames.
I don't get newspaper delivered but I do buy and read them, and while I don't personally use coupons I know people who do.
I pay the bills via internet, but I'm in the vast minority.
So while I agree it would be nice if they'd put in the game some more things to do via the computer, that should be an option and not the only way. I also think newspaper should be bought at the bookstore and not delivered at home, because my sims only read it when they have an opportunity and it's annoying having to throw it away everyday otherwise they'll give a negative moodlet. Besides, we have a wonderful open neighbourhood, why ground our sims at home?
Field Researcher
#22 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 3:47 PM
I think whether or not people do these things in real life, and whether TS3 is set in a time before TS1 & 2, there's a better reason not to make these changes - it completely goes against the point of having created an open neighborhood.

Sure, my sims could shop for food online, buy books online, send emails and chat to friends online, read the news online, pay bills online... but I think I'd be more than bored watching my sims do nothing but sit at their computer all day long. If I wanted to watch this, I'd set up a webcam in my room.

The more you reduce the reasons the characters have to interact with the world around them, the more pointless it becomes to even have that world. But if sims spending all of their time in one room is what you're after, you can play TS2. :p
Scholar
#23 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 4:36 PM
They don't even really do that in TS1 or TS2- You had the ability to interact with other Sims on Vacation and Community lots in both - certainly in TS2 you could not visit another Sim family unless you lived in an apartment building but nonetheless neither game restricted you entirely to your home
Test Subject
#24 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 4:38 PM
I can't imagine owning a laptop. Tiny little keys and I have huge hands and long fingers. Bleh.

I still get the newspaper to do job hunting because the stuff on the internet is just... impossible to trust 75% of the time. Our sims are lucky they don't have to wade through get-rich-quick or work-at-home-no-seriously scams when jobhunting online.

I would really like the ability to tell the $#^& newspaper to stop coming, though.
Alchemist
#25 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 5:03 PM
So basically you want a big element in TS3 to be taken out and replaced with a computer? I personally think it's fun to go out to the bookstore/grocery store/ect. and that it would be boring to do everything on the computer.
Page 1 of 3