Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:35 AM Last edited by Williham : 26th Jul 2009 at 2:55 PM.
Default Custom Careers
So! I'm working on a new mod as a followup to my lockable door (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=358321).

This time, I'm focusing on adding custom careers to the game without the aid of a core mod.

Quote: Originally posted by Doubters
But Williham! That's UNPOSSIBLE.

'Fraid not. It's very possible, indeed doable! As such, I'm soliciting ideas for new careers!

These careers will be added to existing Rabbit Holes, without a core mod (tho' its compatibility with core mods has as of yet not been determined.)

Critera for consideration

If you want any hope of me even considering your suggestion, you need to have at least the following things:
  • Career name and location, of course
  • Rationale: Two sentences about why this career would improve the game
  • Focused skills

Additionally, it doesn't hurt if you have as many rungs as possible included in your post, with description, as well as a job offer description (the blurb from the Join ... Career box).

Both part-time and full-time jobs will be considered.

Edit:
Clarification

These careers will not replace any careers already in the game. However; adding new branches to existing careers may not be possible (it might, and the option will be explored, but for now, it seems as if it's not).
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:38 AM
Dance career at the theater! I miss it so much from the Sims 2!

You could have the music skill and athletic skill. (Because you have to really be in shape to dance.) For the promotions, just look at the Sims 2.

Also, if possible, I'd love to be a firefighter if possible. Go for logic and the athletic skills.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:43 AM
Oh! And you can have a parttime job at the theater to be in an ameature band! It can last like, 3 hours, from like, maybe 6pm-9pm
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:45 AM
I've seen a couple of requests about for an education career (can't remember where else I would link )

I'm not sure which skills I would recommend for it, logic maybe? or charisma..you know, so you'd be ''down wi da kidz, innit!"

As lazy as a rug on vallium
Instructor
#5 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:46 AM
Maybe a gardener career?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lilmissmanderson
I've seen a couple of requests about for an education career (can't remember where else I would link )

I'm not sure which skills I would recommend for it, logic maybe? or charisma..you know, so you'd be ''down wi da kidz, innit!"

Charisma deff! Also, I would go for logic or handiness.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:54 AM
First of all,you're amazing for giving us careers which SO many want. I love the idea of the firefighter one. Education career would be kind of easy with logic and what not. Like you might need to socialize with your students and it effects your performance. Top of career could be superintendent or something like that?
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:56 AM
Here's my suggestion for an Academic career. Ideally, this would have its own rabbit hole, cloned from City Hall, perhaps; if not, it could be housed in the Science Lab.

If we get a new College rabbit hole, I'd like to see it offer classes in several skills -- at least, logic, writing, and charisma, but possibly, ALL of them. These classes would last longer than standard ones (all day), cost more, and give a greater skill boost.

The building could also offer a part-time Librarian career; I'll suggest levels for that in a separate post.

The Academic career is a journey through the American university system, with branches for research and administration. It is a very skill-intensive career, with skills being the main promotion requirement, though adding in "publications" (similar to articles for reporters, reports for cops etc) would also fit in well if that can be done. Unless of course you go into administration, in which case you are basically a politician, and charisma is the only relevant skill

Opportunities could involve reading books, writing books, collecting rocks, bugs etc, library visits.

Base:
- Grad student [writing 1]
- TA [writing 2] > Postdoc [writing 3, logic 1]
- Lecturer [logic 2, charisma 1]
- Assistant Professor [writing 4, logic 3, charisma 2]
- Associate Professor [writing 5, logic 4, charisma 3]

Research branch:
- Full Professor [writing 6, logic 5]
- International Expert [writing 7, logic 6]
- Research Fellow [writing 8, logic 8]
- Professor Emeritus [writing 10, logic 10]

Administrative branch:
- Department Chair [logic 6, charisma 4]
- Dean [charisma 6]
- Provost [charisma 8]
- University President [charisma 10]
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:58 AM
Librarian career (part-time at College rabbit hole):

1. Shusher (tells people to be quiet)
2. Shelver (puts away books)
3. Reference Librarian (knows everything)
#10 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:58 AM
Oh lovely. I've been waiting for this actually, I'm glad someone's finally taken the initiative to try. Anyway, here's my suggestion...

Name: Acting Career
Location: Wilsonoff Community Theatre (or Riverview's equivalent)

This could work like the Music Career, as in when you get to the top of it you are able to sign autographs, have fans and of course get the shiny black limo.

Instead of the Guitar Skill this would focus on Charisma and Creativity. The mood meter matters as the sim won't be up to the task when depressed and a good relationship with their co-workers and boss helps increase the chances of getting promoted (although I think this is a given in every career in the game). It could be like sleeping with a producer/director to get the leading role in a movie...lol

I also thought of Opportunities, I don't know if you can mod those but here's a few I'd like to share that would probably appropriate for this career:

Networking Party - You've been told to put yourself out there and make yourself known. Throw a networking party to meet someone who knows someone who knows someone that could give you your big break.

Writer's Strike - The writers are going on strike due to recent fallouts with the big guys of the biz. Support them by offering to get food and drinks as they walk the picket line. (Diner or Bistro)

Tonight With David Simmerman - Promote your new project by being on the David Simmerman show. (Wilsonoff Community Theatre)

That's all I got for now but if I have any more I'd be happy to share.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CharmingFirewaller
Oh lovely. I've been waiting for this actually, I'm glad someone's finally taken the initiative to try. Anyway, here's my suggestion...

This could work like the Music Career, as in when you get to the top of it you are able to sign autographs, have fans and of course get the shiny black limo.

Instead of the Guitar Skill this would focus on Charisma and Creativity. The mood meter matters as the sim won't be up to the task when depressed and a good relationship with their co-workers and boss helps increase the chances of getting promoted (although I think this is a given in every career in the game). It could be like sleeping with a producer/director to get the leading role in a movie...lol

I also thought of Opportunities, I don't know if you can mod those but here's a few I'd like to share that would probably appropriate for this career:

Networking Party - You've been told to put yourself out there and make yourself known. Throw a networking party to meet someone who knows someone who knows someone that could give you your big break.

Writer's Strike - The writers are going on strike due to recent fallouts with the big guys of the biz. Support them by offering to get food and drinks as they walk the picket line. (Diner or Bistro)

Tonight With David Simmerman - Promote your new project by being on the David Simmerman show. (Wilsonoff Community Theatre)

Oh! I love this too!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 6:22 AM
You could add a part-time job as a volenteer. You wouldn't get paid but you'd get the moodlet that you get after donating to charity. You would work at the police station for adults or maybe the school for teens. You'd have to have the athletic skill and logic or maybe charisma idk
It'd be really cool to be able to be a volenteer, especially for good sims. Maybe teens could get an oppurtunity for school that tells them to get a job as a volenteer and their school performance would improve. If that's even possible. [shrug]
You could start as a litter collecter or something simalar, then get promoted to tree planter, and then to planner. idk just my thoughts. And I second the education career track idea. That would be so cool.
#13 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 6:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EmilyJud
You could add a part-time job as a volenteer. You wouldn't get paid but you'd get the moodlet that you get after donating to charity. You would work at the police station for adults or maybe the school for teens. You'd have to have the athletic skill and logic or maybe charisma idk
It'd be really cool to be able to be a volenteer, especially for good sims. Maybe teens could get an oppurtunity for school that tells them to get a job as a volenteer and their school performance would improve. If that's even possible. [shrug]
You could start as a litter collecter or something simalar, then get promoted to tree planter, and then to planner. idk just my thoughts. And I second the education career track idea. That would be so cool.

This would be really nice especially for sims with the 'Good' trait.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 7:28 AM Last edited by Angstrom : 24th Aug 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Energy career

Why? The Sims lacks blue-collar industrial jobs. All SimCity players know that each large city needs at least one power plant. And these plants need workers. Inspiration can be taken from The Simpsons.

This career includes night shifts, as well as drops in hygiene and social. The pay would be better than most other jobs, though. Necessary skills are Handiness, Logic and Cooking. (Cooking is all about electricity, heat transfer, chemical reactions and boiling water, just as energy production.) Relationship with the boss are less important. The career could probably be placed in the Science building.

At work, Sims should have the option to practice Handiness.

1: Waste sorter, Mon-Fri, 9:00-16:00
What Sims throw in the waste container does not disappear. It ends up at the power plant, where you sort out stuff that should not be burnt. And that is a lot of stuff. Be sure to have a good shower at home.

Award: Trash can

2: Red warning lamp watchman, Sat-Tue, 0:00-8:00
Lots of things can go wrong at a power plant. Stay awake through night, so the city can sleep well.

Award: Smoke detector

3: Stoker, Wed-Sat, 16:00-0:00
Your new job is keeping the fire burning, by getting waste, wood, coal, oil or whatever the manager wants to call "fuel" into the boiler, and getting the ashes out.

4: Loader driver, Sun-Wed, 16:00-0:00
At last you get a service vehicle with hundreds of horsepowers! Unfortunately, it is just a slow, noisy tractor with a large bucket at the front. You can't take your family or your date for a ride, but you can take your job one level above the plant floor.

5: Field repairman (The NPC repairman's job), Thu-Sun, 9:00-16:00
Electric and plumbing equipment breaks now and then, in the power plant as well as in people's homes. You tour the town mending broken stuff. But not for free...

6: Shift manager, Mon-Thu, 0:00-8:00
Keeping the team awake through the graveyard shift is not easy. But if you don't screw up, you will get a permanent re-schedule to business hours.

Award: Cheap fireplace

7: Site manager, Mon-Fri, 9:00-16:00
At last, you are in charge! But as you see the dark smokestack rising towards the sky, and the dead lawns around the power plant, you realize that this city needs a better power source.

Award: Lower power cost at home

8: Renewable energy researcher, Mon-Fri, 9:00-17:00
Bio-fuel? Solar panels? Windmills? Lots of alternatives - but which is the best? You'd better ask the board of directors for more money.

Award: Expensive fireplace

9: Power Plant Planner, Mon-Fri, 9:00-17:00
The country wants more and cleaner energy, and you are in charge of designing a new power station. Can you make both the environmentalists and the industrial lobbyists happy?

10: Cool fusion expert, Mon-Thu, 10:00-15:00
You have found the solution to the energy crisis! A major power company has bought the patents, given you a generous pension, and dismissed you from further research. Now you mostly spend your days teaching schoolkids to turn off lamps and pre-sort trash.

Opportunities
* Dirty secrets: Rummage through some neighbors' garbage (to scan for hazardous materials)
* Turn the heat on: Cook different meals at the stove (to compare power consumption)
* Bio-fuel experiment: Grow different plant species in your garden (to examine their suitability for energy extraction)
* Fish gotta swim: Catch fish (to measure levels of water pollution from power plant)
Scholar
#15 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CharmingFirewaller

There's no straight-up creativity skill in TS3, so I would probably go with Athletic. Maybe they could start out as stunt doubles and such (requiring the Athletic skill) and progress into real acting (requiring Charisma). It's also possible to have the career rely on Charisma and relationships, but then it is a duplicate of the Business career.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 8:42 AM Last edited by DBZMerciter2005 : 26th Jul 2009 at 8:47 AM. Reason: Formatting to make post easier to read.
I'm a huge fan of giving branches to every career. The one branch I'd like to see the most would have to be something stemming from the Journalism career where you go into translation.

Translation: Either a branch of Journalism or a whole new section by itself. Rabbit hole would be the building where journalism is.

Reason it'd be good: This career might not be the most brilliant idea right now since there's no real way to leave the city, but one of the options could be to increase Charisma while "being abroad." This would let those more travel-savvy sims have something to look forward to. Also, not all sims speak Simlish, after all there are some immigrants!

Focused skills: Writing & Charisma (equal), Painting (since there is no general creativity skill, only a few points), Logic (only a few points)

I'm not entirely sure what the career structure would be, but I'm sure it'd include things like "Simlish Converter," "Scanlationist," "Interpreter," "Translator," and "Head Translator," etc.

Opportunities: Include things like going to city hall to interpret a speech, translate news stories for the audience in real time, get overtime for translating a breaking new article, etc.

The voices in my head say you're the weird one.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 9:04 AM
The Fashion career. Dunno where the rabbit hole would be though. Maybe theater? P
Possible tracks

1. Runway Polisher

2. Shirt folder

3. Design filer

4. Fashion assistant

5. Sew fashions

You can go into the Modeling track or the Design track

Modeling:
6. Human sewing model (You wear the dress as people who make the dresses make sure it fits right

7. Charity fashion show model

8. Runway Star

9. Famous Model

10. Fashion Icon!

Design:
6. Fashion designer

7. Famous designer

8. Women/Men's (depends on gender) Top Fashion Designer

9. Vice-President

10. President of the Company

Oppurtinies: Working overtime to finish dress design
Reading: Fashion Throughout the Ages; Runway Run away; Dress Designing for Dummies

Rush the designs to -insert Sim here- so that they can add the final touch!

Deliever the outfit to City Hall so that Mayor _____ can propose a new course of action in style

Design (which is paint a picture) the perfect outfit for Rockstar _____ so that they can rock the world in style!

Skills needed: Some Charasmia, Max Painting (to design skills) and maybe a few bars of Logic.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 9:14 AM
Yeah, that'd be cool. Might I suggest changing famous model to supermodel instead. It just sounds better. At least to me.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 9:49 AM Last edited by haylz320 : 26th Jul 2009 at 3:48 PM.
Wow, great ideas folks!

My suggestion is based off one I tried myself in the final weeks before TS3's release. Since I'm at film school at the moment, I wanted one in my S2 game to reflect that, and it'd be pretty neat to see it back in TS3...slightly altered, of course.

JOB TITLE: Film Production (or something like that...there are probably more fancy ways to say that)

LEVEL ONE:
Wishful thinker.

You hang around town outside movie theatres, read online movie reviews avidly and occasionally break out your CamCorder to "find your style". Keep it up, and someday, you may just get noticed.

LEVEL TWO:
Film Student

You've decided that self-teaching isn't the answer, and have signed up for film school. The days are long, the workload is big and that damned coffee machine never seems to be working, but you're starting to understand how things work in the industry. Try not to feel too intimidated...

LEVEL THREE:
No-Budget One-Sim Crew

You've been able to borrow a fancy camera and you've learnt enough to write a script...just. This may not be Hollywood, but with every failure you come one step closer to success. Try not to let the taste of disappointment phase you too much.

LEVEL FOUR:
Low-Budget Runner

You aren't in control any more. In fact, nobody even knows who you are on set. However, you're name will appear in the credits (just don't blink or you'll miss it) and you're getting paid a little more for your efforts. Get to know you're co-workers and you just might get asked to do more than coffee runs.

LEVEL FIVE:
Camera Sim

You're finally getting somewhere! Although you're usually part of a team of camera crew, people on set are starting to remember your name. You're getting paid something respectable now. The shining lights of Hollywood may not be as far away as you once thought...

LEVEL SIX:
Straight-To-TV Director

The scripts are terrible. The actors work day jobs flipping burgers. Your crew is lazy. You feel like you have to do it all yourself, and you aren't far wrong. However, you're getting experience and you have a budget. Stumble upon a good script and you just might be able to escape all this for something glorious.

LEVEL SIX:
Stage Manager

It isn't the most glamorous of jobs on set, and it is very stressful, but deep down you know there's nothing more satisifying than seeing a show go successfully live-to-air. While the director sits in another room watching what is happening through the various camera feeds, the cast and crew are relying on you to tell them what to do and how to do it. There's no time for stuff-ups and no second chances. The whole nation is tuning in and will notice if you slip up. Stay focused and soon enough, you'll be able to hand over this job to the next poor, unsuspecting sucker.

LEVEL SEVEN:
First Assistant Director

You raised your hand thinking this job couldn't possibly be any worse than the last. You were wrong. Although you've got a decent pay-hike and get to rub shoulders with the rich and famous on set, you have to work long hours and everyone is relying on you to get things done. It's YOUR job to stick to the production and shooting schedules, it's YOUR job to make sure the cast and crew are where they are supposed to be and it's YOUR head if these things aren't done right. Get to know the Sim you're working for, though, and things might just look up.

LEVEL EIGHT:
Hollywood Director

After a long, tedious road you've finally made it. Sims flock to the cinemas to see films with your name attached, the hottest young actors and actresses are asking you to direct their films and you've got so many fake networking site pages that nobody is ever sure who you really are - even yourself. Surely there isn't anything better than this...is there?

LEVEL NINE:
Hollywood Legend

Long after you've left this world, people will watch your films, trade memorabilia and make up gossip about you. You're grandchildren's grandchildren's grandchildren's will boast about being on the same family tree as you. If immortality through memory is what you were seeking, you've found it.

Opportunities:
- befriend your boss (leads to raise and/or promotion)
- work overtime (increases your work performance, increases relationship with boss)
- read a script (one is placed in inventory, if read work performance increases)
- take a writing class (increases your work performance).

Edit: sorry, I thought I'd left stuff out when I'd posted this, and it turns out I did.
Obviously, this career would revolve around the movie theatre. The focused skills would be charisma and writing, as well as touching on mechanical a little bit. Friends would also need to be something to focus on if Sims want to get promotions quickly.
I think this would improve the game as it steers away from the 'acting'/'modeling'/'muso' paths, but still ties in with many of the game's other career themes...that being, at the end of the path (ie level 9 or 10) you're a celebrity and/or well-known.

Hmm, hope I didn't leave anything else off...
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 9:58 AM
awesome dude gonna watch the download section for this one!

just throwing it out there buy why not a part time job as national guard
Mad Poster
#21 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Williham
This time, I'm focusing on adding custom careers to the game without the aid of a core mod...

I'm wondering if these new careers will replace the default ones, or if they will be added on top of the others. You don't say specifically.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 10:07 AM
I assume they will be new careers because he specifically says "without a core mod". We can all add "custom careers" into the game by just changing all the text around so for this to be something new, it would HAVE to be a completely new introduction to the careers aspect of TS3. Or at least that's how I interpreted it :P
Field Researcher
#23 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmilyJud
Yeah, that'd be cool. Might I suggest changing famous model to supermodel instead. It just sounds better. At least to me.

True. I'mma change it
Test Subject
#24 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 11:53 PM
I love that youre doing this. When i get an Idea I'll post it.
Test Subject
#25 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 12:06 AM
I really liked the energy career.
Of course a perk of being at the top or near top could be free bills?
Locked thread
Page 1 of 12