Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#26 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pynewacket
Will the new version of Cloner work if I haven't patched my game yet?

The cloner is designed to be backwards compatible. On the other hand it hasn't been tested for very long yet, so if you notice anything going wrong please let us know immediately, preferably in the S3OC forum at Sims3Tools.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 4:23 PM
Thank you, Valencay!
Alchemist
#28 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 7:52 PM
I am patched, I used this method today and it messed up all the text in game when I put my .package into play. All words became things like, ***UI/blahblah/Text***. I'll give this method a whirl again because there may have been something I screwed up, but does anyone know what might have caused that?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 8:28 PM Last edited by xanathon : 30th Jul 2009 at 8:53 PM.
Yes. You did not fix the package correctly.

Or: You did not use the newest version of S3OC - the one for the patch.

Or: The method broke with the patch, I did not test that yet. But I can't believe that...

Edit: Just tried the NEW cloner (the one for the latest patch) on the goth poster and included that into an UNPATCHED game. That worked.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 3:17 AM
I had that happen a couple of times too. My problem was duplicate files. When you import the file at the end, it doesn't always replace the other file...It does put a line through it but if you don't click on the save (Upper left hand corner, not the lower right) right after import, it doesn't delete the file so you end up with two, hence the weird text.

Try going in and checking to see if you have two identical dds files in your package. If so, use the viewer to find the correct one and delete the other one. The correct one should have your new painting correctly displayed.
Alchemist
#31 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 3:54 AM
Where do you get this "viewer" everyone is referring to? When I click viewer is says "Application failed to start: c:\program files\viewdds\viewdds.exe/clipboard The system cannot find the file specified."

I've tried creating that directory and sticking something I downloaded off a site I found in google when typing in "dds viewer" but that was just useless. So where am I supposed to get this thing?
Eminence Grise
#32 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
Where do you get this "viewer" everyone is referring to? When I click viewer is says "Application failed to start: c:\program files\viewdds\viewdds.exe/clipboard The system cannot find the file specified."

I've tried creating that directory and sticking something I downloaded off a site I found in google when typing in "dds viewer" but that was just useless. So where am I supposed to get this thing?

http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3Tool...php?topic=109.0
Alchemist
#33 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3Tool...php?topic=109.0

THANK you. Much easier.

Does anyone know a method of making the thumbnails look less horrible? In the buy catalog for other wallhangings it shows the picture on a sort of backwards tilt. I'd like my custom paintings to show up the same way, or at least close enough to it that they're not the only ones with big dumb thumbnails or big flat ones. I've tried to make my thumbnails tilt backwards like that but can't.
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 5:24 PM
Srikandi said further up in this thread that you can just delete the thumbnail files within your package and they will auto-regenerate. I haven't tried it yet but I am sure she knows what she is doing.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#35 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 6:37 PM
The method to import your own thumbnails was included for those who want more control over the look of the thumbnails. You can delete the three thumbnails from the package after the fixing process if you do not need them, they are autogenerated by the game. You may probably have to delete the thumbnail cache before they show up correct, though.

happy simming,
Xanathon

.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Alchemist
#36 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 7:34 PM
So the game generates a thumbnail to show your custom painting? Good. What's the thumbnail cache?
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 1:36 AM Last edited by mtsimguy : 2nd Aug 2009 at 1:55 AM.
When I click viewer is says "Application failed to start: c:\program files\viewdds\viewdds.exe/clipboard The system cannot find the file specified."

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit and I had the same problem. I fixed it by editing the helpers.txt file in the S3PE folder to indicate where the DDS viewer is installed. For example on my computer the edited location is as follows:

dds.Viewer: C:\Program Files (x86)\ViewDDS\ViewDDS.exe

To get the actual viewer to install I had to extract the file to the desktop and cut and paste the ViewDDS folder into the C:\Program Files (x86) and give administrator permission for it to be done.

To edit the helpers.txt file I had to copy it to the desktop to be able to save the changes, and then cut and paste it back to where S3PE was installed.

What's the thumbnail cache?

I think its the ObjectThumbnails.package file found in the Douments\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails folder.
Alchemist
#38 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 1:16 AM
Cloning the same object twice should work, yes? I am getting the ***UI/blahblah/blahblah*** issue again, but this time I am not seeing any duplicate files in the package. What else would be causing this? I was thinking that perhaps where I already cloned that painting once, when I cloned it again, now it's conflicting? No idea why that would be but... :s
Eminence Grise
#39 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 2:28 AM
Cloning the same object twice should work, yes? I am getting the ***UI/blahblah/blahblah*** issue again, but this time I am not seeing any duplicate files in the package. What else would be causing this? I was thinking that perhaps where I already cloned that painting once, when I cloned it again, now it's conflicting? No idea why that would be but... :s

If you clone it again and want a new object, I think you need to give it a different identifying name. I believe the instance IDs are generated off the name you provide in the cloner dialog. They'll conflict if they start with the same string. Adding the date/time to the string should always provide a unique ID for every clone you make.
Alchemist
#40 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 2:50 AM
Hmm... I did make sure to do that. I guess I'll just give it another whirl.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 4:38 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but how do I take a decent screenshot of the completed object in the Build/Buy catalog?

I've tried pressing 'C' and using the in-game camera but the user interface does not show up, only the current scene. I've even tried using an external screen-capture program such as Gadwin PrintScreen, but the image is too dark and still has the grid lines in place.
Eminence Grise
#42 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mtsimguy
This is probably a stupid question, but how do I take a decent screenshot of the completed object in the Build/Buy catalog?

I've tried pressing 'C' and using the in-game camera but the user interface does not show up, only the current scene. I've even tried using an external screen-capture program such as Gadwin PrintScreen, but the image is too dark and still has the grid lines in place.

What platform are you on? In Windows, you can just press PrintScr (or Alt-PrintScr, if you have two monitors or are playing in windowed mid) to capture the game screen. That saves the screen to the clipboard; then just paste into an image editor.

Screenshots being too dark in full-screen mode is just a fact of Sims 3. Brighten them in an image editor.

As for the gridlines, you can turn the indoor ones off from the game interface.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#43 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 8:22 AM
You may want to have a look at the highly configurable and versatile FastStone Capture for taking screenshots (on windows):

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=775

Quote:
Synopsis: FastStone Capture is a powerful, flexible and intuitive screen-capture utility. It allows you to capture anything on the screen including windows, objects, full screen, rectangle regions, freehand-selected regions and scrolling windows/web pages. It has innovative features such as a floating Capture Panel, hotkeys, resizing, cropping, text annotation, printing, e-mailing, screen magnifier and many more.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Test Subject
#44 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 11:54 AM
Hello,

I made a table, so far the tutorial is perfect, bravo xanathon, being French, I like images that helps a lot.

As against in the game, the sticker is still the original table, but the picture is the recolor.

How is it , I forgot what?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#45 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 1:32 PM
Could you rephrase, please, I am having difficulties to understand your inquiry...?

happy simming,
Xanathon

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 1:51 PM
I think by sticker, she means the thumbnail, maybe.

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
Test Subject
#47 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 3:52 PM
Sorry, I do not speak English, I use a translator

Field Researcher
#48 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 5:38 PM
Sweet stuff. It took me a few tries before it came out proper, but it works!

My poster painting file size is at 76kb with nothing but the edited IMG, OBJDs, OBJKs and STBLs.

The thumbnail's ingame show up fine having only replaced the .png during the Fixing step.

Thanks for this sweet much awaited thread!

DOEreoh
Field Researcher
#49 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 5:53 PM
Hmm I'm getting an odd bug.

I've cloned, deleted, exported, edited, imported, fixed, exported all to be re-imported with compression and saved.

My custom poster is showing it's own thumbnail and working fine.
But i just noticed in game that the original goth poster painting, though showing it's own thumbnail, is actually using my modified poster's texture and not the "goth" texture.

I just tried loading the game without the custom painting and the original painting is once again showing it's original texture.

DOEreoh
Alchemist
#50 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 6:23 PM
Did you try deleting your cache files?
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Outdated ... Please see wiki for more up-to-date tutorial
Page 2 of 8