Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Graphic Converter comes preinstalled? That's new to me .. under what circumstances (I never even bought a mac with anything pre-installed .. it was always just the hardware and the system discs)? Apple don't mention anything about it: http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...cconverter.html

Who or what is Skininator, can you provide a link/description?

Graphic Converter used to be bundled on Macs (Try your utilities folder under applications)... Apparently its not bundled on the Intel macs, which sucks (I finally find a good use for it, and then they take it off!)

Its shareware though... Apparently they just make you wait for a few seconds when you start it up. No watermarks or anything like that...
http://www.lemkesoft.com/public/con..._cGlkPTg4_.html
(I suggest the second download link if you understand English. Its a smaller file.)

Skininator is for making non-replacement custom skins for TS3. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=389488

I like pie...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 11:59 AM
Thank you for the sharing of your ideas and thoughts to all of us.
Don't ask me, I just code
#53 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 9:33 AM Last edited by pljones : 19th Nov 2010 at 12:24 PM.
5. Cross-platform solutions
Mono
Tools that run (or should run) in mono:
TS3
s3pe (pljones) – requires mono 2.6.1 or later; in 2.6.1/OS X 10.5.7 I need to run it with X11 or it's extremely sluggish; in 2.6.4/OS X 10.5.8 it seems to be working nicely with the Carbon driver (this was a QA version though, not the release)
I broke compatibility when I added DDS Preview to s3pe. It's a quick hack - I took someone's existing code and just added it in. This code uses "Windows Presentation Framework", which it appears isn't quite there yet in MONO on some distributions at least (I've not checked whether the MONO guys are on the case). It would be feasible to extract the required code and remove the WPF dependency. This would still leave a dependency on DirectX, however... But I have a cunning plan... (seems to work... so should be fixed in next QA...)

For the time being, anyone desperate for S3PE should grab the source and rip out the DDS Preview code along with the dependencies on SlimDX and SlimDX.Wpf.

Or stick with a non-QA release of S3PE earlier than 10-1104-1243.
#54 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pljones
(seems to work... so should be fixed in next QA...)

Which is now up for testing in the usual place.
http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=326.0
Constructive feedback appreciated.
Test Subject
#55 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 7:25 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have been EVERYWHERE trying to figure this out, so I'm a tad desperate.

I'm trying to run S3PE with Mono, but its not working (duh). I followed LoofahFlufferduff's instructions, but I get a huge error message when I try to execute it. I have the full install download of sims3pe, extracted it to a folder on my desktop, opened terminal, did both the 'cd Desktop/Sims3PE mono sims3pe.exe' and the 'mono (dragndrop) sims3pe.exe' but I only get the same error message. Mono seemed to install fine. I extracted the 7z file with Ez7z if that makes any difference.

Error message:

Thanks in advance!
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 1:52 PM
I'm not sure I understand the last few posts, but since I've been trying to get S3PE to work with mono, I'd like some clarification, especially since it looks like nothing official has been said about this for many months. So, as I understand it, S3PE used to work but compatibility broke on the last update? Can someone please direct me to a version that actually works with mono? All I want to do is combine several package files into one, and perhaps learn how to do the opposite and also generate new and different thumbnails for the content.

Thanks
Test Subject
#57 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 9:45 PM
Just wanted to let others know that I have successfully downloaded and used SimPE in Parallels Desktop. After using it for a while now, I can definitely say that I recommend it to EVERYONE. It's the only thing that has worked for me after trying almost all of the methods mentioned in the first post of this thread. I'm not gonna list all the really cool features -- but anyone interested should go to the website and check it out. Also, if anyone wants to see some screenshots, visit my photobucket! http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i...91/screenshots/ Thanks to everyone!
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 6:47 AM Last edited by robotguy4 : 3rd Oct 2011 at 7:36 AM.
Anyone still here? No? Oh well. I guess I'll answer a few questions then...

Quote: Originally posted by CherriesJubilee15
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have been EVERYWHERE trying to figure this out, so I'm a tad desperate.

I'm trying to run S3PE with Mono, but its not working (duh). I followed LoofahFlufferduff's instructions, but I get a huge error message when I try to execute it. I have the full install download of sims3pe, extracted it to a folder on my desktop, opened terminal, did both the 'cd Desktop/Sims3PE mono sims3pe.exe' and the 'mono (dragndrop) sims3pe.exe' but I only get the same error message. Mono seemed to install fine. I extracted the 7z file with Ez7z if that makes any difference.

Error message:

Thanks in advance!

You see the part where the error says:
Code:
The following assembly referenced from /Users/cherries_jubileejnj/Desktop/Sims3PE/s3pe.exe could not be loaded:
Assembly: PresentationCore (assemblyref_index=8)

PresentationCore. Thats your problem; you are trying to run a newer version of S3PE. According to Pjones:
Quote: Originally posted by pljones
I broke compatibility when I added DDS Preview to s3pe...This code uses "Windows Presentation Framework", which it appears isn't quite there yet in MONO... For the time being, anyone desperate for S3PE should grab the source and rip out the DDS Preview code along with the dependencies on SlimDX and SlimDX.Wpf.

Or stick with a non-QA release of S3PE earlier than 10-1104-1243.

I suggest the latter. Its simpler.

Quote: Originally posted by moniquinin
Can someone please direct me to a version that actually works with mono?

Try this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sim...dReleases/s3pe/
Pick a version earlier than 10-1104-1243.

Or do what Pjones said and delete the DDS preview from the source code and then compile it...

Quote: Originally posted by jormor1991
Just wanted to let others know that I have successfully downloaded and used SimPE in Parallels Desktop. After using it for a while now, I can definitely say that I recommend it to EVERYONE. It's the only thing that has worked for me after trying almost all of the methods mentioned in the first post of this thread. I'm not gonna list all the really cool features -- but anyone interested should go to the website and check it out. Also, if anyone wants to see some screenshots, visit my photobucket! http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i...91/screenshots/ Thanks to everyone!

Parallels is mentioned in the first post.

Parallels Desktop=Virtual Machine. This is one of the best and easy ways to get any Windows software running on a Mac: run Windows on Mac, run Windows software. Done. No mucking about with Mono or Wine.

Its the procedure that requires the least mucking about and dealing with problems not related to the programs you are trying to run.

If you want something simple and have some money, do THIS. Or run Bootcamp.

Problem is: you need to install a copy of Windows. Which usually costs money. Also, to the extent of my knowledge, Parallels isn't free (Bootcamp comes w/ Macs).

You can also run Windows with Bootcamp, but Parallels is able to run Windows and Mac OS simultaneously. Also I think partitioning is easier with Parallels.

Oh, another thing before I switch back to lurk/inactive:

Someone should look into installing WINE, MONO and other things via MacPorts. (http://www.macports.org/)

Basically, you just install MacPorts then you can type:
Code:
sudo port install <portname>

to install <portname>.
List of available ports can be found here:
http://www.macports.org/ports.php

Wine, winetricks and Mono are included.

Only one problem: requires some knowledge of terminal and commands associated with it.

For more information, look here: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto

Another thought:
Does anyone think it would be possible to make a Linux image that can run all the important Sim modding tools? (see DreamStudio for an example)
This might solve many of the compatibility and installation problems.

Or maybe just make them more portable...

I like pie...
Test Subject
#59 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 1:35 AM
I've been using S3PE and Delphy's Multi Extractor for awhile now with no problems, but after downloading the latest versions of Mono and X11 (both compatible with my version of OSX), I can't. The Hello World test file works just fine, but that's it. I get a very long error message whenever I try to run them:

Any clue about what I messed up?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#60 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 5:28 AM
They worked fine in older version of Mono you had before? Which version was that?
What versions of Mono and X11 are you using now?

What OSX and S3PE version?
Did anything else on the Mac OS side changed? You ran some updates recently, things like that...
Test Subject
#61 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 11:14 AM
Oh my gosh! I am so embarrassed. I had tried several earlier versions of X11, but I didn't think to check with earlier versions of Mono. I went back to 2.6 and everything works. I can't believe I didn't check that. Thank you.
Test Subject
#62 Old 20th Dec 2011 at 7:22 PM
I've tried to use S3PE on mono but I got this message from the terminal:
mono /Users/gime/Downloads/s3pe_11-1001-1447.exe
Cannot open assembly '/Users/gime/Downloads/s3pe_11-1001-1447.exe': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

The S3PE version is 11-1001-1447. I am on Lion if that helps..

thanks!!!
#63 Old 11th Jan 2012 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chinchu88
I've tried to use S3PE on mono but I got this message from the terminal:
mono /Users/gime/Downloads/s3pe_11-1001-1447.exe
Cannot open assembly '/Users/gime/Downloads/s3pe_11-1001-1447.exe': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

The S3PE version is 11-1001-1447. I am on Lion if that helps..

thanks!!!
That's the windows installer. Don't run that. Get the .7z.
Test Subject
#64 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 4:59 PM
Sorry if I'm the only one confused by this, but I am having issues running mono with X11. Really, I just don't understand this direction:
"or the easy way: type mono and a space, then drop the exe onto the terminal window"

I don't know what dropping the exe onto the terminal window is exactly and nor do I know what or where to find said exe. Can someone please help?
Theorist
#65 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cyanidefirefly
Sorry if I'm the only one confused by this, but I am having issues running mono with X11. Really, I just don't understand this direction:
"or the easy way: type mono and a space, then drop the exe onto the terminal window"

I don't know what dropping the exe onto the terminal window is exactly and nor do I know what or where to find said exe. Can someone please help?

It's actually really simple, when you have the terminal open just type mono then a space and then drag and drop the .exe. The .exe will be found in the folder of the program.

I'm trying to run CTU and S3PE in mono. Mono is working but the programs are extremely unstable. They crash all the time and a lot of menus don't work. Does anyone have suggestions to improve this or is everyone's acting the same way?

Hi I'm Paul!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#66 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 5:56 AM
Posting to inform the Original Post has some notes from me for Mono.
And sorry, guys! Didn't notice this thread even had new posts!

@cyanidefirefly,
it is steps 6 & 7 in the thread I linked below.

@Paul,
if the programs have paths to be set, you need to set them manually in a Text Editor -- externally while the program's not running -- otherwise the applications cannot locate the data files it needs to load.

The concept is the same in all applications. I have had to answer one thread recently, so use this as an example: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=470372
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
I'm trying to run CTU and S3PE in mono. Mono is working but the programs are extremely unstable. They crash all the time and a lot of menus don't work. Does anyone have suggestions to improve this or is everyone's acting the same way?

All the tests I've done have been fairly unstable. Somebody who has done further tinkering may have had more success.

I like pie...
Test Subject
#68 Old 24th May 2012 at 3:19 AM
Default Mono Ono
Ok, not sure if I'll get a reply so here it goes. Installed Mono 2.10.9, have latest x11 (i think) running it on Snow Leopard.

I try to run sp3e and i get the following error:

Generally having trouble running anything in mono. I have some C++ and Java experience but I'm a total terminal noob.
Test Subject
#69 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 5:16 PM
Google-d my way here, 2 years late. Damn.
I'm trying to get my windows box to work with my mac. being such a non-techy person, someone help!!!
Test Subject
#70 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 12:56 PM
Hi, I have been trying unsucessfully for hours to find a way to run TS3 tools on my mac. I have tried using mono, but without sucesss (file does not contain a valid CIL image error, which no amount of internet trawling seems to resolve).

I would like to be able to use Delphy's Dashboard to check through my 2GB of package files and S3PE to reduce them to 200mb manageable sections. Is there a way that I can do this using virtual box? I have it installed and running windows but transferring all my .package files to windows and then using Delphy's Dashboard is beyond me. I am not a programmer, I have only a hazy idea what mono even is and I certainly can't work out how to use it. If virtual box will allow me to manage my .package files and then use them on my mac (not using virtual box) I would be so so grateful for any help.

I hope that makes sense - I am so out of my depth here!

3. Virtual machines (Emulators)

You can install a virtual machine under OS X that simulates a Windows computer. The two major commercial solutions are Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion at the moment.

VirtualBox is an open-source emulator; binary downloads are available here. This is very simple to install (just click through the wizard); see post #12 of this thread for a more in-depth review (it seems to kick ass, but possibly not for running TS3). Another open-source emulator would be Q, an OS X port of QEMU. See post #13 of this thread (robotguy) for more info.

Sun: VirtualBox

In the Arena
retired moderator
#71 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 8:33 AM
Everybody, please state what version of the tools you have installed. No one can help if we don't have information!
What version of Mono?
What version of S3PE?
What version of Virtualbox?
What version of Windows?

And for the game: What version of OSX do you have? What version of the base game patch?

@slhancox,
That version may be too old for the latest updates/addons. Try the last version before the Net4 version was released, maybe the 11-1216-1651 release. http://sourceforge.net/projects/sim...dReleases/s3pe/

@jonghyun,
We need more info than that. What are you trying to do?

@frenchie38,
if you have successfully setup a virtual environment with Virtualbox, what version of Windows are you using? You might need to install your base game and patch to the same version as in the Mac, and setup the Framework. For Dashboard to be able to run and check for .package corruption.
To Transfer files back and forth, either use an intermediary FileSystem that both OSX and NTFS can recognize (like ext3 format), or install another tool to allow OSX to read and write to NTFS drives.
Once you get the Windows environment up, you can even use CC Magic, not just Dashboard.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Everybody, please state what version of the tools you have installed. No one can help if we don't have information!
What version of Mono?
What version of S3PE?
What version of Virtualbox?
What version of Windows?

And for the game: What version of OSX do you have? What version of the base game patch?

@slhancox,
That version may be too old for the latest updates/addons. Try the last version before the Net4 version was released, maybe the 11-1216-1651 release. http://sourceforge.net/projects/sim...dReleases/s3pe/

Hello !
I am having issues with S3PE: I wanted to create my own career file, so I am following the Nraas tutorial here : http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+Tutorial
I can open the career file in S3PE, but when I want to rename the _xml the program doesn't change the names ! And it doesn't save my modifications too...so I can't continue :/
Why does it do that ? How can I solve this issue?

I have Mac OSX 10.6.8 ; I am running Mono version 2.10.9, S3PE is version 11-1216-1651 (the only version I could open) and my game is patched to 1.38.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#73 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 4:27 PM
Which Saving step is this at?
What's the error when the Save failed? That would give a clue of what went wrong.

And, you have the correct version of the Career mod for this patch version?

Also, where is your Project workspace? on the Desktop or User Documents folder? Somewhere you have permissions to write and save files to?

That is the correct S3PE version to use with Mono. It must be the last non-.Net version as Mono still has no support for .Net 4.0.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 12:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Which Saving step is this at?
What's the error when the Save failed? That would give a clue of what went wrong.
And, you have the correct version of the Career mod for this patch version?
Also, where is your Project workspace? on the Desktop or User Documents folder? Somewhere you have permissions to write and save files to?
That is the correct S3PE version to use with Mono. It must be the last non-.Net version as Mono still has no support for .Net 4.0.

Well, I want to do the first saving at the step 5 of the Nraas career tutorial, but when I do so nothing changes, the title of the _xml file I just modified stays the same. But there is no error text shown, I just see no change at all, even if I wait. I tried several times.

I have put the career file on the Desktop and the S3PE folder is on Desktop as well, and yes I can write and save files on there.

So this is not a version issue, good to know!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#75 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 3:45 PM
Why don't you write down here the steps you did in your own words?

I no longer have access to my Mac partition as the new GPU I have is not yet supported in a Hackintosh, and my HDDs have run out of space for me to fit and redo my virtual machines (getting a new HDD is not in the budget for the moment). So, carrying out the steps to test on a Windows machine myself would totally be inconclusive, in order for me to help you.
Page 3 of 6