Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#51 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 4:01 AM
Np..and no apologizin...we all started out in s3 knowing nothing If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#52 Old 16th May 2011 at 2:21 AM
I followed everything closely but couldn't get the painting to show up in the game. Zilch! Nada!

Maybe i messed something up along the way, but I cant think of anything. I DID use a custom painting with a custom mesh instead of a painting out of the game, but I thought it was interchangeable. I'm assuming I messed up as the new painting didnt even come up. I didnt see a tutorial of creating new painting using a custom mesh, so I thought I could adapt this one.

Kinda bummed when I went into the game and didnt see the package there
Alchemist
#53 Old 16th May 2011 at 2:58 AM
Miko, have you tried just recoloring the painting with one image first? Try that first...and once that painting is showing up in-game then edit that one to include your new images.
Forum Resident
#54 Old 16th May 2011 at 3:33 AM
I could try that. I think I might know what I did wrong: I used a different fnv for EACH .dds image I changed/imported. So each painting had a different fnv hash. Was that the correct thing way to do it or was I reading the instructions? I was cross referencing this tutorial with your single picture tutorial and maybe I missed something.

I will try what you said first and see the outcome
Alchemist
#55 Old 16th May 2011 at 3:42 AM
You do want a different hash for each painting image. But just put the single recolored one in first. Once you have that save a copy and have a separate copy to edit. Add one new image in at a time and test in-game until you're familiar with the process. Save the package after each successful change so you have it to restart on should something go wrong with the next one. If you make a bunch of changes all at the same time it's hard to figure out where the error is. If you make one change at a time you know right away where the problem is if you make a mistake.
Forum Resident
#56 Old 20th May 2011 at 10:39 AM
Tried it with just one single recolored image and it still didnt appear ho hum.

I guess I could just use a painting from the game and recolor it, but that's been done a thousand times already. Is there a tutorial for creating paintings on a custom mesh?
Alchemist
#57 Old 20th May 2011 at 11:05 AM
Which user-made painting did you try this on? Did you renumber your new clone using s3oc?

Creating a new painting object requires the same steps as making any standard custom object. There are a couple tutorials covering the basics of making a new mesh and putting it into the game.
Forum Resident
#58 Old 20th May 2011 at 8:21 PM
It was Sweet Ambrosia's minimalist Superhero posters(part 1). I also made sure to renumber the new package in s3oc. Maybe I will try a different poster/painting to see if that work
Alchemist
#59 Old 20th May 2011 at 9:22 PM
I'm unfamiliar with that painting...do you have a link for it?
Forum Resident
#60 Old 21st May 2011 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
I'm unfamiliar with that painting...do you have a link for it?

Sorry for not responding sooner. I have family coming in to town so it's busy busy busy. It's right here: http://sweet-ambrosia1.blogspot.com...-8-posters.html

I have seen people use other meshes by her, but just not this one
Alchemist
#61 Old 21st May 2011 at 8:45 PM
It looks like that was made with TSRW. I think that might be your issue. Try starting the project again but use a different painting to recolor. I've got several at my site Indigo that you're free to try this on if you like.

http://jaue.com/indigo/indigo-home.html
Forum Resident
#62 Old 21st May 2011 at 9:02 PM Last edited by Miko09 : 22nd May 2011 at 1:29 AM.
Ok now I understand. Damn TSRW! I will try with one of your paintings later today and give an update!

I have a question though: If the mesh was made in TSRW, does that mean it can be edited within the same program to get the result I am looking for?

Edit: It worked! Thank you so much OM!
Alchemist
#63 Old 22nd May 2011 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miko09
Ok now I understand. Damn TSRW! I will try with one of your paintings later today and give an update!

I have a question though: If the mesh was made in TSRW, does that mean it can be edited within the same program to get the result I am looking for?

Edit: It worked! Thank you so much OM!
Fantastic...I look forward to seeing you post your work

I've never used TSRW and don't keep up with the updates made to that tool so I could be mistaken. But my understanding of how it works is that once something is made into a file that can be put in game, that file, the one you put in the game, is no longer editable with any tool.
Test Subject
#64 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 12:24 AM
CMO and OM thanks for all the help you have given me even though I never really asked these guides and your posts have helped me learn how to do custom paintings on my own without the guide and its pretty easy once you do it the first time. 2nd time through i leaned even more from it.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#65 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:07 AM
Hi, grubby. I'm glad you got it working, but there is now a new tool and easier way to do this. See this tutorial: http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=681.0

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#66 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:44 AM
not sure i like that one though it seems pretty hard to hunt objects down in the list because its not so big and you can't put them in order of name for example i like to put them in order so i can easily find the word painting that the beginning of the file name. this one seems as if i can only order them by type which wouldnt be bad if it said painting as a type too. but thats just not the case. hunting is not fun =/
Alchemist
#67 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grubby1594
not sure i like that one though it seems pretty hard to hunt objects down in the list because its not so big and you can't put them in order of name for example i like to put them in order so i can easily find the word painting that the beginning of the file name. this one seems as if i can only order them by type which wouldnt be bad if it said painting as a type too. but thats just not the case. hunting is not fun =/
I'm not sure what you mean. You still use S3OC to clone your object so the list of clonable objects you're looking through is the same as what you were using before for this tutorial. Only after the S3OC part, which is unchanged, you open the .package you cloned with the new tool. Could you explain a little more about what gives you trouble...I'd like to fix the tutorial if it is confusing
Test Subject
#68 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
I'm not sure what you mean. You still use S3OC to clone your object so the list of clonable objects you're looking through is the same as what you were using before for this tutorial. Only after the S3OC part, which is unchanged, you open the .package you cloned with the new tool. Could you explain a little more about what gives you trouble...I'd like to fix the tutorial if it is confusing
yeah i forgot i clone it first lol thats why 1 of my paintings got messed up when i did my first custom painting i did it in the main build package and deleted one of the images....dont care the didnt like the image
Alchemist
#69 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grubby1594
yeah i forgot i clone it first lol thats why 1 of my paintings got messed up when i did my first custom painting i did it in the main build package and deleted one of the images....dont care the didnt like the image
I'm guessing this happened when you were using s3pe. To avoid that kind of thing remember to tick the Readonly box when attempting to open fullbuild0 or any other EA game file in s3pe. The current test version appears to default to this setting but older versions may not.
Test Subject
#70 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 4:59 PM
Hi! I managed to make a custom painting show up in my game, but the quality is deplorable! The frame is fine, but the image (which was over 1000 pixels wide originally) now looks pixelated and blurry. Did I miss anything? Am I supposed to crop/resize before placing it on the dds file or should I click/drag and then resize?

Thanks!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#71 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 12:04 AM
Try using this tutorial :http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=681.0 It is much easier because there is now a tool for this.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#72 Old 30th Jul 2012 at 6:46 AM
THANKSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now i can put more real look photos!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 30th Sep 2013 at 6:43 AM
I've been working on recoloring a painting that has 6 Recolors but I wanted to add 13 however I can't figure add more than the first 6. I replaced the first 6 Images with the first six of my Image Recolors, Works fine.I made their DDS put a separate FNV hash codes for them all as well.I understand it hast something to do with the materials and the TGIBlocks. Which I suppose is what I'm doing wrong. I tried copying one of them and replacing that code with one of the new image DDS. Like copying [2] Material then changing the DDS with one of the additional recolor. When I check it in TSR workshop I see seven slots ( I figure start slow if all seven showed like they were suppose to make the rest) and Slot Seven I see the same image as slot two as if I didn't change the resource code.

Well what I guess I'm saying is there a way to add more than the original set number of recolors to an object in my case it's a painting. Because I'm stumped.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#74 Old 30th Sep 2013 at 7:06 AM
I really hope your using the other tutorial linked in the first post. It is much easier as this tutorial was written in the earlier days of TS3 modding. It should also resolve the issue you are having. If it doesn't help, please post again either here or in the other tutorial thread.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#75 Old 30th Sep 2013 at 7:54 AM
The link doesn't work, it's an old dino link. Try this: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...x.php?topic=681

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Page 3 of 4