Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#26 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 9:53 AM
What happens if you try tobuild a basement that sticks out of the side of a hill?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 10:27 AM
Karate? China? Basements? Other activities? These first impressions are not very descriptive or impressive. C'mon guys!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 10:28 AM
Hi, I'm very interested in everyone's first impressions, won't get the game before the 19th!

What I'd like to know about are the new toddler and child interactions. They were mentioned in many reviews but never WHAT kind of interactions had been added.

Could anyone check and tell us about it? Thank you very much .
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 10:39 AM
how does people meditate at teh Scholars Garden?
Mad Poster
#30 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:11 AM
Can someone who already has this EP post some pictures? Pretty please?
Scholar
#31 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:10 AM Last edited by jonha : 17th Nov 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
What happens if you try tobuild a basement that sticks out of the side of a hill?

The land is automatically raised for the basement. And you can't lower land, if there is a basement underneath.

Btw: Does somebody know, if it's possible, to have a basement with "open ceiling"? As far as I can see, the only case where the ground is erased, is when you build stairs leading into the basement. Deleting the grass floor obviously doesn't work.

Quote: Originally posted by magic cookie
What I'd like to know about are the new toddler and child interactions. They were mentioned in many reviews but never WHAT kind of interactions had been added.

Could anyone check and tell us about it? Thank you very much .

I don't have WA, but as they are integrated in the basegame patch, too, just find out yourself. The only new interactions, I noticed are, that child can now give toodlers a bottle, can hug them and play kookoo. There still seem to be nearly no Adult-Child interactions and no Toddler/Toddler interactions.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
how does people meditate at teh Scholars Garden?

Just got the answer myself. To meditate, you need to reach Martial Arts level 5.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#33 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Btw: Does somebody know, if it's possible, to have a basement with "open ceiling"? As far as I can see, the only case where the ground is erased, is when you build stairs leading into the basement. Deleting the grass floor obviously doesn't work.

I could only make holes with the stairs, too. We need someone to make transparent floor tiles!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 1:15 PM
My Sim went to france and learned a song from some random kid which decided to go to my base camp (Which is a house... with a tent inside....) Now she sings the same goddam song all the time, she won't shut up.

As for you guys saying it's an adventure EP, It truely is, even if it says "Travel" and "Your vacation ends soon"

Man it's a very boring, easy expansion pack which adds little to the sims game.

Here ill list some of the content:
4 New Hairs
Some China "roof decorations" (New unimportant feature)
About 60 new clothes (Not that great)
3 Vacation neighboorhoods that you cannot change or develop yourself (I miss the sims 2 already)
Basement tool (Big woop, sims 3 people are getting that for free anyway)
Learn some boring 5 second songs that sims sing
easy boring adventures to linear underground tombs

One the plus side, you can visit some "shops" to buy stuff, and they arn't rabbit holes (Other than the graveyard one which sucks), so i guess i can only hope someone mods that to make your own retail stuff.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 2:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hypergame
Here ill list some of the content:
4 New Hairs
Some China "roof decorations" (New unimportant feature)
About 60 new clothes (Not that great)
3 Vacation neighboorhoods that you cannot change or develop yourself (I miss the sims 2 already)
Basement tool (Big woop, sims 3 people are getting that for free anyway)
Learn some boring 5 second songs that sims sing
easy boring adventures to linear underground tombs

What about objects? There have to be new objects, right? New objects and martial arts are the only reason I'm getting this Epic Phail.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chyrun
What about objects? There have to be new objects, right? New objects and martial arts are the only reason I'm getting this Epic Phail.

Ive looked.. theres jack shit.... a few decorations and the like, i have not bothered going to china yet, ill do it now and post back.
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 2:57 PM
Something that will make 16-yr-old girls squeel...

That new lifetime reward makes sims sparkles.

Now they can make their very own sparkling Edward Cullen. :P

Forum Resident
#38 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:13 PM
Well thats a lifetime reward I'm never using. :P

And I took a picture of what a 4 story basement looks like underground:

And something I found out about the basement tool, if you have a house on a foundation, don't use the basement tool to add one to it, its a waste of money. Stairs can't be put through foundations, so you can't have access to the basement.
Scholar
#39 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:15 PM
gosh there are new doors, windows, plants, nick-nacks--chairs-a couple beds, dresser..a couple bookcases..lots of lighting....

just got to my first spot...Egypt...

i am just impressed at this point that it loaded and started fine the first time through...
Theorist
#40 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
That new lifetime reward makes sims sparkles.

Now they can make their very own sparkling Edward Cullen. :P

I just facepalmed.

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:22 PM Last edited by Spryte : 17th Nov 2009 at 3:25 PM. Reason: new info
Okay.. I came here to post a "woot" because I got an email from Amazon that my EP should be here tomorrow... then I read the "patch" notes... and if "pillars no longer make walls of water" means that I can no longer make waterfalls... I'll be ticked! Then I read these posts about the new Epic Phail, and it being childish, etc etc etc... no new objects to speak of, etc etc etc... I'm not so excited now... I'm thinking maybe I wasted my money?!?!

Can someone that has the EP, please please please see if you can still create a waterfall.... just raise some land several clicks - to get a flat "wall" of land... then place a pond at the bottom of that "wall" of land... then use some columns placed in the pond a bit away from the "wall" and see if the water "climbs" the wall... please?!! Just don't do it on a lot you are building on... it's easy to screw up and sometimes the water will fill the lot and there's no way - sometimes - of fixing it.

EDIT: Okay... posted while I was posting about new doors, windows, plants, bookcases... sounds good! I hope! lol
Instructor
#42 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:30 PM
I like the thought of the eye candy moodlet although not with the sparkles!

^_^
Forum Resident
#43 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by schitzwa
I like the thought of the eye candy moodlet although not with the sparkles!

Same here. Hopefully someone can get rid of the sparkles like HP got rid of the build mode sparkles.
Test Subject
#44 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:37 PM
I'm really really enjoying the new EP so far. The dungeons and quests are far more fun than I'd expected. Overall, I'm satisfied with the expansion, but to break down my impressions....

Pros:

-Dungeon crawl comes in interesting and unexpected forms. (A spooky mansion in France is, thus far, my favorite.)

-I loved making nectar in MM and its current incarnation is even better.

-The travel destinations are GORGEOUS, detailed and full.

-Basements are easy to make and I think they're going to inspire some very cool stories and lots.

-Lots of little tweaks to smooth out some areas of gameplay, like "fertilize all with..."

Cons:

-Longer loading. Its not as long or as it was in Sims 2 yet, but I expect it to get longer and longer as we add EPs and CC. The good thing this time around is that you don't have to load between lots and you can tab out while it loads if you want.

-Very few new objects. I understand that they have their store now and want to push that, but I still expected more build/buy objects.

Bugs:

-I have nothing in my lifetime rewards panel on new sims or old sims. Can't buy a thing. The rewards I had previously bought for old sims are gone too.

-The quest in China for 3 red assassin bugs isn't working properly for me, so I can't move on.

-There's a save error occurring for many people. The workaround is easy at least, just use "Save As..."

(btw, my CC seems to be working fine. I took out most of my hacks just to be safe though. I'm going to take it all out and see if the bugs I'm having clear up, but I don't expect them to.)

Don't be fooled by the name, I'm a girl.
Instructor
#45 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gobot101
Same here. Hopefully someone can get rid of the sparkles like HP got rid of the build mode sparkles.

Yeah, I am sure someone will. Until then though none of my sims will be getting it.

^_^
The other one
#46 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 3:44 PM
OMG did somebody just say something good about this??

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Scholar
#47 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 4:03 PM
Yeh me!!...i like it so far....

i went on a short 3 day trip to egypt.....i did not do any of the adventures though...i went and bought the tent..some food and the shower in a can....and off i went to explore...

chopped down lots of rocks to find gems and things....found part of a sarcafagous(sp)..and when i find all 5 pieces i'll be able to recontruct it...the part i visited was the Spyinx(god i don't know how to spell that either..lol)...oh and i got lots of coins...

my loading screen seemed short.....

just got home...i still have all my lifetime rewards and points...everything i had in my inventory and it said she had a nice time...

seems fine to me so far...
Scholar
#48 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 4:05 PM
oh and theres new textures too
Scholar
#49 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 4:18 PM
oh my gosh!!!...i just switched households...played for 1 full sim day...switched back to the person i took to egypt...and EVERYTHING was still in the flipping inventory!!!!
Forum Resident
#50 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jenieusa
oh my gosh!!!...i just switched households...played for 1 full sim day...switched back to the person i took to egypt...and EVERYTHING was still in the flipping inventory!!!!

Thats good, I'll be able to play without awesome mod until Pescado updates it.
Page 2 of 13