Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Books Buyable Anywhere *Updated for Ambitions - REDOWNLOAD*

by Jenesis Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 6:59 PM - Updated 8th Jun 2010 at 9:24 PM by Jenesis : Updated to work with Ambitions

71 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 57 Feedback Posts, 13 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 9:17 PM
Thanks a lot for this! I'll be making a similar mod, it'll unlock several items that can only be bought at certain destinatins and add them to the buy catalog (breaking board, training dummy, scooter, cameras, etc.)
Scholar
#3 Old 28th Nov 2009 at 12:33 AM
Another very useful improvement...thank you for sharing!
Theorist
#4 Old 28th Nov 2009 at 1:41 PM
Thank you this was way needed!
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th Nov 2009 at 3:38 PM
Oh thank god. I hate it when I forget to buy things!!!
Test Subject
#6 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 2:41 PM
hey jenesis can u show me step by step to create mods..i have that spe3 but i dont know how to use that tools
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 7:08 PM
Im not sure, I could be wrong, but I think the cash register in the bookstore in France for some reason only shows browse. No one is working the register for you to buy books?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by perrydaus90
hey jenesis can u show me step by step to create mods..i have that spe3 but i dont know how to use that tools

There is a tutorial here on MTS that tells you how to use s3pe.

Quote: Originally posted by rampdiva
Im not sure, I could be wrong, but I think the cash register in the bookstore in France for some reason only shows browse. No one is working the register for you to buy books?

Are you sure the shop is open? If you go to the shops abroad before 9am there won't be anybody there and you won't be able to buy anything, until the shop owner gets there. You can tell that the shop is closed by the only option available being "Browse", greyed-out and unclickable.

If you are there when the shop is open and you still can't buy books, then please delete any other mods you may have, either in the WA Mods folder or the base game Mods folder, that deal with books or shopping. I have tested my mods extensively in my game and I cannot duplicate this bug you describe.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:52 PM
Awesome i like your stuff.
One thing left to say.
Keep making stuff becuase they kick but.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 10:01 AM
Brilliant, thanks.
Test Subject
#11 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 4:50 PM
your mods mess my game up...when i go to buy books there aren't any catagories and it won't even allow me to click on the grocery store...
Test Subject
#12 Old 24th Dec 2009 at 7:35 AM
where do i put the d3dx9_ll on my mac?
the install instructions doesn't have a destination for macs.
Test Subject
#13 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by burtonsnw41
your mods mess my game up...when i go to buy books there aren't any catagories and it won't even allow me to click on the grocery store...

I don't think that's his/her fault...
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 7:30 AM
I have problem. This mod doesnt work with HELS (in my game). Does someone have the same problem? With WA it worked perfectly.
Jenesis - could you update mod for HELS?
Field Researcher
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:00 AM Last edited by andistyr : 13th Mar 2010 at 5:53 AM.
I have both WA and HELS with my game updated and the problem I found was this mod conflicted with SimsMX missing books mod and Vahi_Master's super speedy skill books mod. After I took out those 2 this one worked. I'd rather have this mod - although I did like SimsMX's missing Martial Arts books and the missing Photography books mod. Would be great if you could add these missing books (two Martial Arts books and 2 Photography books) since both mods can't be installed. I'd do it myself if I knew how to.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 10:53 PM
Yup... no longer working with HELS.

~*~*~*~ Proud supporter of MTS2 ~*~*~*~
Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 4:43 AM
It works with HELS - as stated in my comment, I have a fully patched game with WA and HELS and it works. Any mod that has to do with books like the Speedy Skill books or the SimsMX missing books mod, won't work with this one. I had both of those with this mod and as soon as I took them out, this one worked. It works. Check your mods and also your framework has to be updated and in the right spots plus if you have HELS, the mods folder now goes into your C:Program Files/Electronic Arts/High End Loft Stuff
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 4:46 PM
Question: Is there any way to break down this mod so that you have the choice to only get the WA cooking recipes to appear in any store, rather than books + recipes in one bundle? Or has this been done somewhere already? I can't seem to find a mod for just the new recipes. Any help would be great!

Thanks so much for the work you put in to the mods you share with us.

Purzion
*Happily Addicted To Sims 4*
Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 5:53 PM
Is this compatable with the ambitions pack?
Test Subject
#20 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JessicaL2184
Is this compatable with the ambitions pack?

Depends on what you mean by "compatable."

So far for me, it looks like it works. However, the Invention Skill book doesn't show up in stores.

There does not look like there is a Book for Sculpting.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:38 PM
Hang tight all - I will look into doing an update for the Ambitions books, but as Loxly rightly says, not all of the new skills have books. Purzion - I will see if I can do a mod for recipes as well as books.

This mod will conflict with any other that modifies the Books XML - Speedy Books is a good example, and Missing Books will conflict because our mods do a similar thing. Unfortunately for books you have to pick just one mod or else they will conflict.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andistyr
It works with HELS - as stated in my comment, I have a fully patched game with WA and HELS and it works. Any mod that has to do with books like the Speedy Skill books or the SimsMX missing books mod, won't work with this one. I had both of those with this mod and as soon as I took them out, this one worked. It works. Check your mods and also your framework has to be updated and in the right spots plus if you have HELS, the mods folder now goes into your C:Program Files/Electronic Arts/High End Loft Stuff

Sorry to double post but can those who say it doesn't work with HELS (if HELS is your latest pack) read this post please - you have to move the Mods folder and also get new resource.cfg and that d3dx9_31.dll files and put those in the HELS folder too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:27 PM
Updated! This mod (pick a flavour) now works with Ambitions. I have playtested it. If it doesn't work, check carefully that you've installed it correctly - you need to install the modding framework in the Ambitions folder. This mod is incompatible with any others that modify the Books XML so check for those too.
Test Subject
#24 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 2:48 AM Last edited by argante : 9th Jun 2010 at 2:53 AM. Reason: forgot something
I do seem to accumulate mods fairly quickly (804 in total, mostly patterns) and I've learnt the hard way not to install too many mods at once, so I can keep track of them all and their errors. Generally speaking the mods that I use which effect 'skills, books and shops' have a tendency to screw up my game.

If any of these mods cause a compatibility issue:
1) I make a folder on the desktop
2) Temporarily relocate all my mods to that folder
3) Then I test the game using only the single mod in question.
4) If it still isn't working properly, I check and recheck if I have the correct dll file versions and if they are in the right place.
5) Then I move only a few mods back at a time, more testing to narrow it down even further. Yes it's tedious, but it's worth it in the end.
6) Finally, I do even more research and see if anyone else has a better solution.
If you take a breath, count to 10, take a break to clear your head and allow common sense to prevail and it wont be long until your game is back to normal. Don't give up trying & good luck!

PS: thanks for the lovely mod.

"Trials have no value or intrinsic meaning in themselves. It's the way we respond to those trials that makes all the difference."
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 8:34 PM
thanks for updating!

-Isis-
Page 1 of 3