Replies: 122 (Who?), Viewed: 66059 times.
Page 3 of 5
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#51 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 1:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimrod101
They made it this way on purpose, to make it more like real life! You contact some friend you haven't seen for awhile, come back visiting and find they have kids with random strangers you barely know.
And by "awhile", you mean "overnight, while you never saw them so much as leave the house, and you'd know, because you were watching the entire time". EA story progression doesn't even ATTEMPT to follow any kind of "progression", because progression implies there are actual rules. EAxian Story Progression is progression in the same way drawing names out of a hat to determine who gets to be the boss is career advancement.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 1:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
And by "awhile", you mean "overnight, while you never saw them so much as leave the house, and you'd know, because you were watching the entire time".

Hey, give EA story progression the benefit of the doubt! Maybe, they fell in love over the phone and consummated by using the phone.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#53 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 1:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz89
And you also find out that they have not moved up the career ladder at all whilst you were playing with another household, even though their traits and skillset seem to suggest they should have (hell, sometimes they get demoted!).
Little wonder. By default, inactive sims don't gain or lose work perfomance at all. EAxian StoryProgression just randomly hands out promotions and demotions like Halloween candy. And EAxis really likes their randomness being random. Who cares if the sim in question is just taking a dip in the pool, getting stuffed in the bistro or even on maternity leave? As far as EAxis is concerned, the stupid players won't notice anyway, even if it comes to their active sims' co-workers.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Top Secret Researcher
#54 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 4:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz89
And you also find out that they have not moved up the career ladder at all whilst you were playing with another household, even though their traits and skillset seem to suggest they should have (hell, sometimes they get demoted!).

Also, in real life, relationships tend to build slower. People don't usually meet one day and get married the next. ;]


I disagree. Sometimes I have left my slob fat grumpy guy, come back and he's the top of the career, still in his shitty little house with bad furniture.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 5:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaospilot
I disagree. Sometimes I have left my slob fat grumpy guy, come back and he's the top of the career, still in his shitty little house with bad furniture.


It's happened with me twice. I've left people at the top and come back to find them at level 1.

Don't know if there is anything to disagree with. I'm just recounting my experience with EAxian story progression, which has annoyed me from the start. Have had no such problem with awesomemod.
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 5:54 PM
"And you also find out that they have not moved up the career ladder at all whilst you were playing with another household, even though their traits and skillset seem to suggest they should have"

It seemed the way you put it like sims won't get promoted even if they gained the skills.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#57 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 8:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaospilot
It seemed the way you put it like sims won't get promoted even if they gained the skills.
EAxian StoryProgression promotes/demotes and even fires inactive sims randomly. Traits, skills and motives are simply not taken into account. Just because a random event seems to make sense in one case or another doesn't make the whole thing sensible all of a sudden.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 8:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzler
EAxian StoryProgression promotes/demotes and even fires inactive sims randomly. Traits, skills and motives are simply not taken into account. Just because a random event seems to make sense in one case or another doesn't make the whole thing sensible all of a sudden.


I know that. It was the way the other guy put it as if it wasn't possible.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 8:23 PM
I've had Sims (even "chosen" Sims) get demoted on AwesomeMod too, albeit a lot more slowly. I don't really understand why because when my chosen Sims get to the top of their careers, it usually means that they have all the relevant skills maxed. Do traits play a factor in how AM handles promotions/demotions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
And by "awhile", you mean "overnight, while you never saw them so much as leave the house, and you'd know, because you were watching the entire time".

This is why I prefer AwesomeMod story progression over the others. If I get a notification that Bob just hooked up with Susie, I can usually find Bob and Susie flirting somewhere or visiting a lot together. I hate it when two Sims who have been holed up in their homes the entire time miraculously become engaged.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#60 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 9:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia
I've had Sims (even "chosen" Sims) get demoted on AwesomeMod too, albeit a lot more slowly. I don't really understand why because when my chosen Sims get to the top of their careers, it usually means that they have all the relevant skills maxed. Do traits play a factor in how AM handles promotions/demotions?
The method that calculates and applies increase/decrease in work perfomance has a check if a given sim is selectable, so by default only sims of the active household can gain or lose work perfomance. Pescado removed this check in AwesomeMod, so inactive sims gain/lose work perfomance just the same as selectable sims. With AwesomeMod a sim can only be demoted due to poor work perfomance (if the relevant skill is maxed, there's still mood and stuff like boss/co-worker relationships and special tasks and sometimes sims fail to go to work at all), no matter if active or not. Making sims sacred doesn't change anything, because unlike EAxian promotions/demotions this is not done by StoryProgression.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Field Researcher
#61 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 9:58 PM
Ah, okay. In my case, the Sim who got demoted was an Emperor of Evil. The only things he needed to maintain were his mood and his athletic and logic skills (which are maxed) -- no special tasks whatsoever. He didn't even need to befriend his co-workers. So the only way he could've gotten demoted is if his mood was always low or if he failed to show up at work at all. I suspect it's the latter because his work lot has a +50 Beautiful Vista moodlet.

Is there a way to ensure that inactive Sims haul their lazy asses and actually go to work everyday without having to do it manually?
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#62 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Ah, okay. In my case, the Sim who got demoted was an Emperor of Evil.{...}
Ah, that one's a special case. With AwesomeMod, only one sim can be at the top of a couple careers at a given time. If another sim is more suited to be Emperor of Evil (probably determined by the hourly wage because you can determine how often a sim maxed out his work perfomance by looking at the wage), the sim in question will be demoted to free the position for the other sim.

Quote:
Is there a way to ensure that inactive Sims haul their lazy asses and actually go to work everyday without having to do it manually?
In most cases AwesomeMod already handles this. I have a work pusher functionality in one of my personal mods, that usually finds a couple sims every day that AwesomeMod misses. I don't know what other mods might contain something like this, though.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzler
Ah, that one's a special case. With AwesomeMod, only one sim can be at the top of a couple careers at a given time. If another sim is more suited to be Emperor of Evil (probably determined by the hourly wage because you can determine how often a sim maxed out his work perfomance by looking at the wage), the sim in question will be demoted to free the position for the other sim.
.


Which other careers is that applicable to? Are you getting this based on your own trial and error, or is all this written somewhere?
transmogrified
retired moderator
#64 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 11:47 PM Last edited by mangaroo : 14th Sep 2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: gah! BB code, not HTML
is all this written somewhere?

See, this is just an invitation for me to get all snarky and post a link to MATY...but it's giving me a 404 error right now. Curse you, Mr Pescado, for spoiling my fun with your downtime!
#65 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroo
is all this written somewhere?
Curse you, Mr Pescado, for spoiling my fun with your downtime!


Can't we use the f-word?
transmogrified
retired moderator
#66 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 12:27 AM
Strangely enough, I consider f***ing people to be a bit of a reward f** the recipient of my f*****. So, no.
#67 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroo
Strangely enough, I consider f***ing people to be a bit of a reward f** the recipient of my f*****. So, no.


What if Pescado doesn't want to be effed. Is that punishment enough?
Forum Resident
#68 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 1:21 AM
I like AwesomeMod, but it's a little too much of a commitment to install. It's the really the only mod of it's kind(in both a good way and a bad way). I don't want to be *bleeped* if I ever wanted to uninstall the mod or make changes to my game for whatever reason because my save file no longer works. I have a few of Nraas' mods and they work wonders, but there are just some features that are only featured in AwesomeMod, like the genetic skintone process that merges two parents when creating a baby.

And the MATY site seems to be crashing a lot lately exactly when I try to sit down and research the mod. Must be a sign from the Sims God. Will Wright has spoken!!!
Test Subject
#69 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 7:07 AM
I have a question, does this AwesomeMod work if I only have the base game?
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 7:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandols
I have a question, does this AwesomeMod work if I only have the base game?


Provided you've got the latest patch? Yes.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#71 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 7:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz89
Which other careers is that applicable to? Are you getting this based on your own trial and error, or is all this written somewhere?
All careers whose top positions are, by description or common sense, supposed to be unique. And trial&error might be sufficient to get something done once, but is a terribly inadequate way to acquire learnings, even an outright stupid way if there are alternative ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroo
Strangely enough, I consider f***ing people to be a bit of a reward f** the recipient of my f*****. So, no.
And no former recipient would disagree on the reward character? Quote: 'You lucky, lucky bastard.'

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Top Secret Researcher
#72 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 8:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko09
like the genetic skintone process that merges two parents when creating a baby.


That is actually part of StoryProgression as well... Has been for a while now.


NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#73 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 3:54 AM
EA actually "sorta" changed that, but their solution has a few aberrations that result, which you may or may not consider desirable.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
2nd Nov 2010 at 11:04 PM
This message has been deleted by mangaroo. Reason: Awesomemod support at MATY; cc installation = Help > Sims 3 > CC Basics
Test Subject
DELETED POST
2nd Nov 2010 at 11:05 PM
This message has been deleted by mangaroo. Reason: Awesomemod support at MATY; cc installation = Help > Sims 3 > CC Basics
Test Subject
DELETED POST
2nd Nov 2010 at 11:06 PM
This message has been deleted by mangaroo. Reason: Awesomemod support at MATY; cc installation = Help > Sims 3 > CC Basics
Test Subject
#74 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 11:18 PM
I use NRass MasterController. I decided to try AwesomdMod so I uninstalled MasterController and installed the latest version of AwesomeMod. I decided that I liked MasterController better so I uninstalled AwesomeMod and tried to install MasterController. It wouldn't install, AwesomeMod had done something to my Sims instillation. I had to uninstall all my Sims 3 and EP's and reinstall them.

Beware, AwesomeMod alters your sims instillation. I prefer not to have my Sims instillation altered permanently so I'll never install AwesomeMod again.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 11:35 PM Last edited by potatoehead : 2nd Nov 2010 at 11:58 PM.
laustin92- Please don't triple post, especially when all three posts are exactly the same. It doesn't take three posts for us to notice you. Anyway, Awesomemod is not updated yet- there is a test version, but it may crash your game because Pescado hasn't ironed everything out yet. Besides, according to him, if you can't find the test version, you shouldn't be using it. The regular, non-test version of AM is available at moreawesomethanyou.com/smf; he'll post an announcement some time soon in the AM download thread that the mod is up to date.

Oldspook- AM does not alter the game installation; it alters save files. If you have saved a game while using AM, your save will be forever tied to AM. Totally vanilla saves, however, are fine, as are new saves. Now, if you failed to install Master Controller after uninstalling Awesomemod, chances are you did something wrong.

My opinions may be uninformed BS, but at least I've thought about my uninformed BS.
Page 3 of 5
Back to top