Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 3:53 AM
trees grow... just wait some time
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ooga booga
the tree looks pretty short.
The reason it looks so short is because the trunk is so wide.

"Don't be a Hater
Be a Lover"
- A wise man
--------------------------
Call me Simalicious, ImSim, or Chris!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 2:01 PM
It is very wide. It's like that to accomodate the map. I have kept the map on each floor as close to the original as possible. If I make the tree any taller, it will push the treetop right out of view.

It is a fairly short tree anyway. The bulk of it is in the treetop. If you look closely, it is 4 levels tall.

Of course, if you look at the tree in the game, it doesn't look like it can accomodate the maps. Games are like that :-)

If you have a suggestion on how else to build the tree, I'd be more than willing to listen. We are still kind of in the infancy stage of the project, and ideas, all ideas, are good!!!!

Oh, the entire basement levels are not playable. I will be removing the portions not part of the map. Hopefully there won't be much bump in the cameras, and I will make sure to be watching for that.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 6:50 PM
I've just made 2 terrains for The Great Deku Tree. I've got the base for the forest floor, and the spiderweb. I have to fix the spiderwebs, but you can see that will look great on the floor on the main level!
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#30 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 6:57 PM
That looks awesome!

"Don't be a Hater
Be a Lover"
- A wise man
--------------------------
Call me Simalicious, ImSim, or Chris!
Test Subject
#31 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 8:06 PM
Looks great :D
Scholar
#32 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 11:58 PM
looks like the ingame texture,..
please upload the texture on mts
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 11:58 PM
It IS the ingame texture. I just copied a section and tiled it. Ta-da!

And here's my new exterior. I'm liking this one much better. I still haven't done the filling in in the front and the face. I'll get there.

Screenshots
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 12:00 AM
I'm having a problem with the spiderweb files. I keep getting the line, no matter what I do. I can't figure out what's wrong, and it's never happened to me before.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix that?

Thanks!
Scholar
#35 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 12:29 AM
hey, the new version look soooo coool,
think you have to use some wallpapers for the tree face.. there isn't really much useable stuff in the game
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 1:14 PM
I agree.

I wish someone would be able to figure out how to twist objects vertically around the clock. Then rocks would be no problem, and there would be dimension to the face.

Sadly, I have absolutely no idea how one would accomplish something like that.

Anywho, off to make some wallpaper :-)
Test Subject
#37 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 1:38 PM
In caw I use the manual rotation degrees in the info pane on the left that works better than the GUI dial thing which I found is useless for rotation and multiple objects etc as it always makes the object bounce around.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 9:01 PM
How smart are you? :-)

Obviously my knowledge is limited for CAW. I have, however replaced the roads with dirt roads - needs new dirt, though, because the one there is solid brown and not dirtlike - and I have placed my tree in the town. This is done on Layer 0, just so you know.

Also, I've been able to successfully place some rock walls for the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Now, to go rotate objects properly....

Oh, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight in how to attach objects with events, ie unlock chained doors (wherever THEY are), inspecting holes that cause a special stand on block to appear, or how to make statues affect traps, ie fire and such. If there is detailed info on this somewhere, I'd really, really, really like to know. :-)
Scholar
#39 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 9:11 PM
not sure what you know and what not, maybe this tutorial helps http://www.modthesims.info/article.php?t=386169
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 9:57 PM
Bless you, candlelight! This is exactly what I was looking for, and couldn't find.

You ROCK!
Test Subject
#41 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 6:03 AM Last edited by Revenger : 27th Jan 2010 at 6:17 AM.
If you are adding allot of world objects make a new layer for the Deku tree and put the objects etc for the tree in that and put the lot in the Kokiri Forrest layer.

As you can see already I'm using layers to try to keep everything CAW wise all neat and tidy for quick reference etc as its recommended also in the CAW manual.

But keep playing with CAW etc you'll get there :D
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 12:34 PM
Thanks, Revenger. I will do that. I need to remove my tree from the layer anyway, it's not working as well as I'd hoped. I'm trying a new tactic and using more walls.

This will be a very cool area for sims :-)
Scholar
#43 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 9:43 PM
do you have pics from the world with your tree? i'm nosy you know...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 6:43 PM
I've changed Mr. Deku again. Now, he's covered in wood panelling. I attempted to make the walls angled on the outside, but not all of them worked. It doesn't look bad, though. In fact, it's my favorite version so far.

I've got the floors mapped out again, with 2 bonus upper floors, and an expanded 2nd basement. That one is going to be a LOT of fun!

Here's some pix:
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 6:48 PM
P.S. --those are all in-game pictures :-) and it's not complete yet, but it's really really shaping up now!
Scholar
#46 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 12:55 AM
Oh Simmiller! That tree is a greeeeeeeat idea. I love it!!! :lovestruc
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:01 PM
Default Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3, testing.
Who wants to do a test run? You'll need a sim who is athletic and good at martial arts to complete the tree, but these skills can also be worked on within the tree

I'm pretty sure I've got the interior done, but I'm having an awful time with the terrains. It's like GIMP doesn't want to play
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:07 PM
Scholar
#49 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:15 PM
do you plan to raise the landscape around the tree? like in the game or is it done by revenger with the world tool?
btw the tree looks nice
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 11:31 PM
@candlelight82 -- Do you mean covering the base, or put it on a hill? I'm working on the CAW portion as well, so I have been planning to make the lot rise towards the midde. I can certainly do both anyway, make it more natural looking.

Do you or anyone else have any ideas about the exterior?

Also, spread the word, I am looking for some excellent pictures of the Kokiri forest floor, and larger pictures of the tree itself. I am so not talented enough to recreate these terrains freehand. I've been looking for brushes, and patterns, and textures. I found some really nice wood textures, but I can't get them to work in GIMP. It's not the PS issue though. Anyway, the inside is going to be a challenge, that you can't finish in one run. I love those!
Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: useful information for an unusual build.
Page 2 of 3