Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 7:07 AM
Default WIP: Rawr Atoll, seeking feedback and any meshers who want a dino project.
Rawr Atoll - A mysterious island in the North Pasimfic that seems to have preserved another era. Sailors only recently discovered this tiny atoll with its foraging inhabitants.

Forage is the active verb for this world. It has only one rabbit hole, and food is scarce when you're on the road. Speaking of which, there are no roads, so let me restate that: Food is scarce during long journeys on foot. If you don't find seeds and grow veggies, or collect from wild plants, then starvation is a real possibility. All the spawners are available, including EP ones and digsites, however most of them are available in small quantities. For the most part, locals live in underground caves. Tourists will visit the island, and technology (distributed by Sim Nation Aid) is not unseen, simply rare. The world is Medium sized.

I need prehistoric/dino-themed CC. I'd love to see a TS3 conversion of Synaptic Sims's Pterodactyl, if they'd permit it. But any dino content is very, very welcome, right down to dino footprints in the form of a carpet. My CAW skills are fine, but my meshing skills are zero.

On to the pics:

Initial Concept Map

Initial Concept Sim
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 7:46 AM
Im glad to see the wall you're using for the "caves"- that wall is amazing. It's bump mapped, I think, so it really does look like a rock wall instead of just a flat painted wall. They use it in a mine in egypt and I spent quite some time observing it to see how impressively it replicated a meshed wall.

That is probably not very helpful. <_<;
Test Subject
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 8:19 AM
Can you share how you did that cave entrance?
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 8:34 AM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 23rd Jan 2010 at 8:55 AM.
Quote:
Can you share how you did that cave entrance?

Of course. It's as simple as elevating terrain, making a basement, and putting stairs in under a steep area of terrain. A warning, the trade off for this is some minor visual distortion if you look straight through the entrance while zoomed in. It allows you to look right down into the basement well, though. Did I explain that clearly? It's pretty easy to do.
Banned
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 8:49 AM
Yeah, when there's a basement hte stairs will cut through terrain no matter what, as long as the base would be in the basement.

So you can put up a sheer cliff if you want, and it'll cut 4 tiles worth of hole into the side of it.
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 9:03 AM
Cool.

Just did a test if you use trees you only need the first tiles open for the sims to go down then just tree up the rest to mostly hide that graphic glitch etc.

So you can make a secret tree entrance doing this :D
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 9:04 AM
Thanks for the tip, Revenger. I'll definitely do that!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 10:57 AM
This looks fantastic, I love the concept!
Wiki Wizard
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 11:04 AM
OMG!!!! This is AMAZING!!! I need to pick my jaw up off the floor because i am catching flies the shape of the island is phenomenal, what a brilliant concept you have come up with, and superbly executed, this is simply fabulous! And the underground living areas are brilliant too, all your ideas work so well and you have done them so well too! i cannot WAIT to play this!

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Instructor
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 11:17 AM
wow this looks amazing I wish we could make this into a holiday place!
Instructor
#11 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 2:13 PM
That is simply brilliant! You must have a real steady hand to manage to do something like that. It looks painstakingly perfect.

Btw, If you would like any clothing made for this project, I'd be very happy to oblige. I just wanted to say that
Forum Resident
#12 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 3:34 PM
Holy amazing. The dino beach thing looks.. so real. You are so gifted with this! I seriously cannot wait until this is done.
If you need any help with sim creation, or face masks and effects, I'd gladly help out.

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Inventor
#13 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 10:48 PM
Wow kiwi_tea - finally found your map. Well this is exceptional. I haven't seen such a great map before. Did you do this with the ingame tools or with photoshop?
And I love the concept - so will this include sims as well? This would be great too. Sorry, that I just give you praise, but I really cannot give you any suggestions or say what to improve. It's just perfect and I hope you upload it soon.

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#14 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 11:19 PM
kiwi_tea, if you haven't already done so, you might want to ask about dino/prehistoric-themed cc in the WCIF forum. I don't think there's a huge amount of period cc available for TS3 yet, but WCIF is where your quest will be seen by the finders.
Scholar
#15 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 11:29 PM Last edited by jaylo2112 : 24th Jan 2010 at 12:32 AM.
Wow is an understatement when it comes to this world. To awesome for even supercalafragalisticexpialidocious!
Amasing Amasing Amasing
I have no creative talent as of yet so I dont know how to help but I may find something...
ill go work on dinosaurs!

lol i just found this out!
if you google sims 3 dinosaurs you get ice age 3 websites!

EDIT
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=288388
these could be cool if someone can convert

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 7:33 AM
@Momodoll - I could definitely use some male and female 'caveman' outfits. Does that sound within the realms of possibility? Bone piercing would be good too, although tricky, I imagine.

@traelia - If you want to design a caveman family to include in the original population, you're absolutely welcome to, it would be very cool to have some else's vision of cavemen included as well, and it would mix up the starter genes a bit!

@mangaroo - Thanks, I will definitely start a thread in WCIF!

@jaylo2112 - Ack! Those skeletons are so awesome! If anyone is capable of converting those, I'll owe them tons! Thanks for looking about!

New Pics: Do people like my tomb idea? Or is it a bit too cheesy? I do want a quirky world.

Also, I've spotted those floating bushes in the sand dune pic, and will fix those, but alert me to anything you see that I don't!
Screenshots

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 7:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
@Momodoll - I could definitely use some male and female 'caveman' outfits. Does that sound within the realms of possibility? Bone piercing would be good too, although tricky, I imagine.

@traelia - If you want to design a caveman family to include in the original population, you're absolutely welcome to, it would be very cool to have some else's vision of cavemen included as well, and it would mix up the starter genes a bit!

@mangaroo - Thanks, I will definitely start a thread in WCIF!

@jaylo2112 - Ack! Those skeletons are so awesome! If anyone is capable of converting those, I'll owe them tons! Thanks for looking about!

New Pics: Do people like my tomb idea? Or is it a bit too cheesy? I do want a quirky world.

Also, I've spotted those floating bushes in the sand dune pic, and will fix those, but alert me to anything you see that I don't!

Good work the tomb may be cheesy but that's the fun in it.

Your cutting into the basement and the realist ion that you only need 1 square open gives me a idea on making the deku holes around my world.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 8:54 AM
Have you been maper or something before you started creating worlds for Sims, because the design is outstanding, keep it up!

-> My "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" Sims: > CLICK <
-> "My Fav music" playlist: >> Listen <<
-> Liquid Drum & Bass at it's best: > Liquicity <
-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Wiki Wizard
#19 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 9:31 AM
i love that tomb, it is brilliant, you should do more like that! so inventive :D

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 3:43 PM

It's beautiful! Maybe start exposing some rock on the mountain?

"Don't be a Hater
Be a Lover"
- A wise man
--------------------------
Call me Simalicious, ImSim, or Chris!
Forum Resident
#21 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 4:34 PM
Oh cavemennnn, I'll get right on that.
Would you prefer limited CC, no CC, or can I freely go about with this CC.
I might consider making some dirty face masks, considering they are cavemen, in which case they would be included.

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 4:37 PM Last edited by hudy777 : 24th Jan 2010 at 4:49 PM.
I can convert you Synaptic Sims's Pterodactyl and JurasSim Park" 3 new meshes: T REX Skeletons , you maybe need a permission from creators.

I really like the idea of prehistoric nhood 'couse i'm big, big, fan of those stuff

VISIT MY NEW SITE hudy777DeSign
Mad Poster
#23 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 4:40 PM
While i have nothing useful to contribute at this time, I just wanted to say that this is officially the coolest looking world I've seen for TS3. The mapping is just perfect.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Scholar
#24 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 5:03 PM
Hey! Love the tomb. It may be cheesy but who really cares? THIS IS AMASING!

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 5:09 PM
@I'mSim - Not really possible without hurting the lot terrains. There are a good 70 lots of so on the plateaus around the mountain. If you look closely, you'll see I've built on six of them (the larger one on the bottom plateau is the pictured graveyard).

@traelia - Let's aim for no CC at this point. I want to keep that to a bare minimum, so a few converted items for the lots of the world, some bone piercings, and hopefully a nice caveman suit. That's sort of the most I want people to have to download. I considered asking Fresh Prince to do a Flintstones' car, but imagine he's too busy. :P

@hudy777 - That's great news. I've sent permission requests to the original creators via PM. I might try emails as well, as I'm not sure how active either of them are these days. Thanks a lot for the offer!

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Locked thread
Page 1 of 4