Replies: 519 (Who?), Viewed: 86011 times.
Page 2 of 21
#26 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeag
Whoa 20,000 CC? Millions? I barely have 200 for TS2 and 20 for TS3.

I wouldn't say TS3 is going backwards, but yes the absence of memories and weather is pretty disappointing. Piano I believe is going to be added with an EP. If they added everything from The Sims 2 to The Sims 3 base game, how big do you think the space required for installation would be? 20 GB?


Well, maybe not everything as in Sims 1+EPs and Sims 2+EPs but at least the ones we've gotten used to having there. The piano, the hot tub and the pool table had been there since the first game was released.

I just don't see the point in taking out something that's been around that long. The piano or [insert base game item here] could not have possibly slipped their minds. It's like Tomb Raider game developers deciding not to give Lara Croft guns in the base game and instead make players wait for an EP to get them back.

"Okay guys, Lara is going to ninja kick the baddies and in 3 months she gets to shoot them. And next year, we're going to give you an EP that will brings her shorts and combat boots back because we've decided to let her run around naked in the base game. Enjoy."
Banned
#27 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:39 AM
The piano was gone probably because creativity was separated into painting, writing, and guitar. Guitars are more popular than pianos and I would not be surprised if they opted to finish off the guitar for now and come back to the piano later, adding in skill books/music sheets/opportunities. Plus pianos in later expansions for earlier games came with npcs when placed on community lots and I would also not be surprised if those were a factor. Some things are cut because they are incomplete, and that may well include the stupid piano.
#28 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeric
The piano was gone probably because creativity was separated into painting, writing, and guitar. Guitars are more popular than pianos and I would not be surprised if they opted to finish off the guitar for now and come back to the piano later, adding in skill books/music sheets/opportunities. Plus pianos in later expansions for earlier games came with npcs when placed on community lots and I would also not be surprised if those were a factor. Some things are cut because they are incomplete, and that may well include the stupid piano.


Yes, but they've managed to include the guitar without having a troubador NPC. So why not include the piano without an NPC?
Banned
#29 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:47 AM
Because the guitar never had an NPC. Plus all the other things I said. Sometimes it's as simple as time constraints and things getting cut, it is not always some terrible devil caricature looming over you and trying to vacuum out your being by torturing you by leaving out a piano.
#30 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeric
Because the guitar never had an NPC. Plus all the other things I said. Sometimes it's as simple as time constraints and things getting cut, it is not always some terrible devil caricature looming over you and trying to vacuum out your being by torturing you by leaving out a piano.


I understand, but even if the guitar never had an NPC, you just said that the NPC for the piano came with later Sims 2 EPs. In the beginning the piano didn't come with an NPC either.

So putting the NPC issue aside, the piano and guitar could both exist in the base game without one. At least they'd be there to begin with. Then later, when an EP is released, they could consider adding the NPC.

It just seems odd that we'd get something as mundane as the toothbrushing animation back only to lose the hot tub (which was great for group interactions) and the piano.

Both the guitar and piano are skill objects but since playing the game is a visual experience, seeing them play two different instruments can make it even better. We can recolor the guitar as much as we want and that's great but it will never be a piano. It's still the same object with the same animations and music.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#31 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:53 AM
No, the Piano is actually in the game. The code is there. Since the missing part is thus the mesh, it is clear that the piano was cut intentionally so they could milk you for it seperately in some stuffpack in the future.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
#32 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 4:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
No, the Piano is actually in the game. The code is there. Since the missing part is thus the mesh, it is clear that the piano was cut intentionally so they could milk you for it seperately in some stuffpack in the future.


Do you think it would be possible to mod this to unlock the piano? I remember rain being unlocked for the Sims 2 even before the Seasons EP was released.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#33 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 6:10 AM
Not unless you feel like remaking the piano mesh and animations and sounds. All these were removed to make it so that modders could not resurrect the piano before they resold it. They learned from that rain fiasco.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 6:37 AM
Unless you are in possession of mystical powers others can only dream of, you have no way of knowing what the problem is or isn't on someone else's computer. Which makes diagnosing the problem extremely difficult, then you have to be aware of the skills of the poster and whether they have the ability to correct the situation or not.

I have 200MB in sim3packs (store items only) and over 1GB in CC under Mods/Packages. My load times were over 10 minutes and I had pause and lag during gameplay, and CAS was almost unbearable. After following the tips and suggestions in the following threads; my load time is under 2 minutes again, CAS and gameplay show little, if any, lag, and my exit times are 5 seconds to 30-40 seconds depending on whether I save and exit or just exit. While others found Sims 2 packages and/or corrupt Sims 3 packages to be the cause, mine was merely just size and numbers.

Enough CC can cause lag, without any of them being broken. If you find yourself downloading alot of CC and noticing your load time getting slower, gameplay and/or CAS lagging, or more serious CTD's, then you owe it to yourself and your computer hardware to look into some threads I found really useful. Each of these threads has a link to at least one of the others.

Game Help: Package File Lag Covers locating and identifying broken or corrupt packages by using Delphy's Dashboard tool and/or using Process Monitor

Game Help: Improving Sims 3 Performance Covers checking your system to see if it meets the game requirements, updating drivers, possibly upgrading your system

Merging Mods to Increase Performance MATY thread covers combining package files to one or a few files much like the launcher combines sim3packs to one file under DCCache
#35 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 6:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
Not unless you feel like remaking the piano mesh and animations and sounds. All these were removed to make it so that modders could not resurrect the piano before they resold it. They learned from that rain fiasco.


If I could, believe me, I would. Why not team up with a modder on here? MTS2 has great meshers. That should solve your custom rabbit hole problem was well (from another thread).

And that's exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from EA. If they didn't want to make the same mistake they did with the rain, they shouldn't have left the piano codes in the game.

Of course, they probably did just to rub it in our faces.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#36 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 6:46 AM
I've tried. They're all craptastically lazy people.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Banned
#37 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 6:50 AM
Mistake with the rain? I really really really don't think EA was sitting around cutting themselves because some guy unlocked dormant barely-functioning rain.

If anything they were probably pissed that he took the credit for it and every single comment on it was "WOW YOU ARE AN AMAZING MODDER HOW DID YOU MAKE THIS WHOA" and not a single person bothered to correct anyone.
#38 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 6:48 AM Last edited by CharmingFirewaller : 31st Jan 2010 at 6:59 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
I've tried. They're all craptastically lazy people.


Bummer. What about cloning a random object just to see what can be done with the code? Maybe then someone would get motivated to create a mesh for it. But then again, without animations and sound it would be practically useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeric
Mistake with the rain? I really really really don't think EA was sitting around cutting themselves because some guy unlocked dormant barely-functioning rain.

If anything they were probably pissed that he took the credit for it and every single comment on it was "WOW YOU ARE AN AMAZING MODDER HOW DID YOU MAKE THIS WHOA" and not a single person bothered to correct anyone.


If EA hadn't left a half finished project in the game, the modder wouldn't have had the chance to take credit for it. But EA had left a part of it and decided to do the rest of the work for a later EP. If a modder who happens to be familiar with how the game works thinks they can unlock a feature that may or may not have been deliberately left out, do you honestly believe they'd sit and do nothing about it?
Test Subject
#39 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 8:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HystericalParoxysm
Actually, for once, I agree with Claeric - it's probably an issue with the CC and it's quite easy now to figure out if that's the problem.

Game Help:Sims 3 Package File Lagwiki

Quick and easy to test and you might be surprised what you find. Plus other tips for increasing performance, in case it's -not- just the files. Please start a thread in the Help area if you have any further issues on this subject.


Just have to say that page and the wiki page are utterly blank for me xD
transmogrified
retired moderator
#40 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 8:45 AM
maskedmischief: Game Help:Package File Lagwiki
Test Subject
Original Poster
#41 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 8:08 PM
Yes, I miss the memories from sims 1 & 2 also. I agree with Axe Gaigin that we have to look foward but why take out the fireplace?!? I just think its strange that they kept gardening from sims 2 seasons but took out everything else. But like it was said EA games probally has something up their sleeve and they know we will buy it.
#42 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 9:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurthsette
Yes, I miss the memories from sims 1 & 2 also. I agree with Axe Gaigin that we have to look foward but why take out the fireplace?!? I just think its strange that they kept gardening from sims 2 seasons but took out everything else. But like it was said EA games probally has something up their sleeve and they know we will buy it.


lol...they didn't take out the fireplace I think you meant the piano. Or hot tub.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeric
The piano was gone probably because creativity was separated into painting, writing, and guitar. Guitars are more popular than pianos and I would not be surprised if they opted to finish off the guitar for now and come back to the piano later, adding in skill books/music sheets/opportunities. <snip>


Woah, woah, maybe in the Sims the guitar is more popular, but in real life, piano is way more popular and useful. Especially for the real life equivalent of the "classical music career track"; the classical music world does not include guitars, usually. String quartets and orchestras do not include guitars (except in the rare cases of guitar concertos). Conductors prefer learning piano to guitar, because the piano is just so much more flexible than the guitar. Composers, too; there's a reason that composition majors have to learn basic piano skills in college rather than basic guitar skills! The piano can simulate an orchestra on its own, making it many times more useful than a guitar for conductors and composers. And many classical giants who play other instruments also learn piano.
Anyways, that's just in classical music.. I can't say I know anything about rock music, but it does seem like guitar would be more popular there..
I guess my point is that guitar and piano might be equally popular at best, but there's little possibility of guitar being more popular than piano. If EA wanted to take out the piano, they should have made a generic "music" skill, which guitar and piano as well as other instruments improve. It would be more accurate, and it would also give them room to add other instruments we haven't seen before, too, like cellos and double basses and such.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 2:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Gaijin
Most whining I see is about: I can't do X in Sims 3 I could do it in Sims 2! whaaahaaaa!!!!eleven11!!

Completly forgoing the fact that You can do Y and Z in Sims 3 that was impossible in Sims 2.

Now I'm not saying I don't miss things from Sims 2, I do, but instead of then looking back and wishing it so I rather look forwards and concentrate on the things we CAN do.


YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Totally agree, and of course they are gonna "strip" the game back to the basics, EA is a company trying to make money, the less they release in the beginning the more money they can make. You people are thinking like consumers, and those silly little X gens (of which i am one) MUST HAVE NOW MUST HAVE NOW......

PATIENCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!! lol and if ya DONT like it STOP BLIMMIN PLAYING if your not going to do that, PUT UP WITH IT AND GET OVER IT! Or at least stop complaining here i am so darn SICK of it.
#46 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 2:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzem
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Totally agree, and of course they are gonna "strip" the game back to the basics, EA is a company trying to make money, the less they release in the beginning the more money they can make. You people are thinking like consumers, and those silly little X gens (of which i am one) MUST HAVE NOW MUST HAVE NOW......

PATIENCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!! lol and if ya DONT like it STOP BLIMMIN PLAYING if your not going to do that, PUT UP WITH IT AND GET OVER IT! Or at least stop complaining here i am so darn SICK of it.


I could easily say the same to you. If you don't like reading our complaints you can simply leave the thread. The game is a product and feedback is needed to ensure that it gives consumers what they want in order to sell.

I could stop playing, but I enjoy the game to some extent.

You on the other hand can stop reading but continue to do so anyway.
Inventor
#47 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 2:39 AM
This thread is starting to remind me of the WoW forums

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Banned
#48 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 2:37 AM
The major difference being that this is a forum for the sims 3. People are here because they like the game, not because they want to see people throwing around the most unfounded and asinine reasons for disliking it.

Plus he's completely right. GOing WAHHHHH I MISS DOING THIS!!!! doesn't change a single, single damn thing.
#49 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 2:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeric
The major difference being that this is a forum for the sims 3. People are here because they like the game, not because they want to see people throwing around the most unfounded and asinine reasons for disliking it.

Plus he's completely right. GOing WAHHHHH I MISS DOING THIS!!!! doesn't change a single, single damn thing.


Yes, we're here because we like the game and we do miss certain features from previous incarnations. How does that affect your enjoyment of it? Do you feel threatened if someone mentions a feature that the game lacks? Does it make you enjoy your beloved game less?

For the record, we aren't crying about it. But I do know someone who type-screams everytime he tries to get his message across.

Begins with 'C'.

Last part rhymes with 'dick'.
Test Subject
#50 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 3:03 AM
More worrying overall for me than the whining is the communist attitudes of a great number of people--I should say the entitlement attitude. I want it therefore it should be provided for me for free. I don't give a damn about how much it costs to produce, how much time it takes for SOMEONE ELSE to program, no, I want it and I'm entitled to what I want and FOR FREE.

Are you a cow? If not then no one can milk you. You will buy the expansions and so forth if they are good and provide you with lots of entertainment. I still haven't bought the World Adventures expansion yet, I'm waiting for the price to go down, but I have no entitlement mentality either, that what they charge is "too much". Yes it's too much for me so I'm waiting. They have every right to charge whatever they want.

You know not every game makes it. There are tons of games out there that I think are great, but somehow the developer goes out of business shortly after releasing. EA hasn't made a profit in more than a year. I don't think any of the whiners or communists understand how much time and effort it takes to program a game like Sims 3. These programmers don't come cheap, $49 pays for an hour of their time plus overhead perhaps. And yet I see people complaining even though I see the price as a great bargain. Are any of you in the real world yet? Most of you will never start up a business, if you did, you'd understand the enormous costs and stress of spending millions of dollars on something that is not sure to ever get those millions back for you. I think the entitlement mentality is the greatest barrier to the future success of this country. Hope people look inside themselves and see what is really eating them. After all, if you want a piano and saw the code, then go ahead and make a piano clone of the guitar. But no, that would require work, and so it's EA's greed, not your laziness that is the issue. Give me a break.
Page 2 of 21
Back to top