Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#26 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:21 PM Last edited by jonha : 25th Jul 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
I think it's a better solution than objects in sims' inventories.

Why?

Quote:
I was talking about the surrogate mother stuff. Then all three sims should enter the clinic and the surrogate mother would be immediately pollinated.

Now this sounds difficult. I know I can create interactions where multiple sims are going to the rabbithole, but how on earth should i decide which of them donates the stuff and who gets pregnant. I think it will be way easier to handle this stuff using inventory objects, you can just give other sims, instead of using some selfmade dialogs.

Quote:
For ye olde IVF, I would suggest two different interactions: One that lets sims donate their stuff at the clinic and one that lets other sims be pollinated by that stuff.

Well, that is similar to the sperm bank idea, but I don't link this. First the hospital would need a list of all donators and a dialog to choose them and that will be more complicated. Second this way, your sims have no control over who uses their dna stuff. For example if Fred donates his probe to the hospital, anybody could take it from there, right? That sounds ugly. Having an object that Fred can pass around to the one who should get pregnant sounds more reasonable to me. Pretend it's an id or password to his DNA in the hospital. Maybe I design it like this. Of course I could create a sperm bank, too.
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#27 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
I don't want to make this too expensive. Because getting pregnant the old way costs nothing, and the result is always the same (pregnancy). You are only paying here for a little bit more freedom.

It's free for me to get knocked up by my husband but, if we find out we can't have children, we spend thousands and thousands of dollars on IVF treatments and everything that goes with it. The typical cost of IVF in the US is upwards of $10,000, for one round. If you're going for reality here, you might want to increase a bit more. Or make options. Dillowpillow made an "adoption isn't free" mod and it has had quite a number of hits, the most being §1,000 and §10,000 (§1,000 because the larger options weren't added until later).

your sims have no control over who uses their dna stuff. For example if Fred donates his probe to the hospital, anybody could take it from there, right?

That is kind of how donating works. You give it up, the rights no longer belong to you. Also, if you ask for feedback but have an answer and a reason for not attempting what was suggested, why post in here in the first place.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Typical
#28 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:57 AM
Jonha was just stating the ups and downs, and questioning as to why the suggestion was made to each... 'aproach' suggested.
Scholar
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 10:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven_sent_8_18
It's free for me to get knocked up by my husband but, if we find out we can't have children, we spend thousands and thousands of dollars on IVF treatments and everything that goes with it. The typical cost of IVF in the US is upwards of $10,000, for one round. If you're going for reality here, you might want to increase a bit more. Or make options. Dillowpillow made an "adoption isn't free" mod and it has had quite a number of hits, the most being §1,000 and §10,000 (§1,000 because the larger options weren't added until later).

OK, thanks for your feedback. I think about it.

That is kind of how donating works. You give it up, the rights no longer belong to you.

True. But that is exactly the sperm bank idea. The main reason for this mod was to allow ingame "genetical experiments" so you can be impregnated by people, you can't or don't want to try for baby with. (same sex, children/teens, strangers, blood related sims and so on). The sperm bank and the surrogate mother stuff would only be an addition to this. I will develop this mod further and then post a status update in the next time, maybe even post a beta version.

Then you can tell me, if you like it and if you have enhancement ideas. Note that I probably won't change major stuff at this point, for example the sample as inventory object. I really like it that way and otherwise I would need to rewrite my whole code.

Also, if you ask for feedback but have an answer and a reason for not attempting what was suggested, why post in here in the first place.

I really like the feedback here. Sorry, if I appeared unpolite.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#30 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 5:33 PM
Why?
Wirkt wie gewollt und nicht gekonnt.

Objects like that were the way to go in TS2. In TS3 we have no need for such crutches anymore. And gameplay-wise, EAxis would never implement something in such a way.

Quote:
Now this sounds difficult.
I read that a lot from you. How does that even matter?

Quote:
First the hospital would need a list of all donators
How are you going to implement anything without persistable data? Do your inventory objects work without persistable data?

Quote:
The sperm bank and the surrogate mother stuff would only be an addition to this.
Then, PLEASE, don't do it. Leave it to someone who wants to do it and doesn't see it as some kind of burden. These features, especially the surrogate mothers, are way more complicated than your initial project. Nothing good will come from it if you consider this an appendix to your original project.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Scholar
Original Poster
#31 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Wirkt wie gewollt und nicht gekonnt.

Objects like that were the way to go in TS2. In TS3 we have no need for such crutches anymore. And gameplay-wise, EAxis would never implement something in such a way.

Can you somehow justify that? And does it matter anyway? I think these objects are very easy to use and EA uses similar sim-referencing objects (urns for example).

Quote:
I read that a lot from you. How does that even matter?

It doesn't matter.

Quote:
Then, PLEASE, don't do it. Leave it to someone who wants to do it and doesn't see it as some kind of burden. These features, especially the surrogate mothers, are way more complicated than your initial project. Nothing good will come from it if you consider this an appendix to your original project.

Well, If you think I make a bad mod, this prevents nobody from making a better mod, right? You don't have to use my mod.

But you're right. I will probably forget about the surrogate mother stuff for now.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#32 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 7:13 PM
Can you somehow justify that? And does it matter anyway? I think these objects are very easy to use and EA uses similar sim-referencing objects (urns for example).
It's different for things like urns. It doesn't matter in whose inventory they're in. For vanilla "processes" what's important is always either the actor or the object, but not both at the same time.

It's not my intention to convince you though. I'm just stating my opinion. If you like the inventory objects then stick with them and to hell with my opinion.

Quote:
Well, If you think I make a bad mod, this prevents nobody from making a better mod, right?
You know it doesn't work like that. The first one is the only one. Everything that comes afterwards is considered to be a rip-off. No matter if it's superior or inferior.

I still might do a mod that realizes my ideas, but I wouldn't release it if you implemented something similar. I wouldn't like the idea of competing with you. I wouldn't mind to collaborate, though.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 7:22 PM
I think I'm fine with what you already have. I mean, it can either be a simple but impressive mod like the one you originally started with, or you could rip your hair out and make it into a different and more gigantic mod. Personally I think just being able to get a DNA sample and get another Sim pregnant that way is absolutely fine and a great idea, but then people started asking you to add more features. If you aren't planning on adding any more features, then you might as well upload it.

ENTJ
Test Subject
#34 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 1:46 AM
Default please don't abandon!!!
DON'T ABANDON THIS IDEA!!! I really like this idea!!! It's one of the best modding ideas i have come across on the site, so don't give up!
Mad Poster
#35 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 12:45 PM
i really do hope the creator didn't get discouraged about this one.
Test Subject
#36 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 3:38 PM
Pleasee upload it and maby a a surrogate mother option ? otherwise I love your work and if you can upload that will be like Heaven or are you unable to upload it loook really nice and i would like to use and many other people would too. Please For me & and for evey1 else who loves this ! :P
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 4:56 PM
Got a quick question. What kind level of realism are you going for?

IVF isn't 100% successful, so while the treatment is expensive, it does have a failure rate. Just a quick glance about, I read a statistic that IVF has a 80%+ **failure** rate. And around 80% of the children conceived (and carried to term) are considered 'healthy' by the AMA, which ain't saying much IMO. If you're aiming for a semi-realistic IVF action, it would need to be expensive, have a high failure rate, and potentially an undesirable trait imposed on children conceived in this fashion.

But if you're going for what IVF *should* be, then it should be affordable to most, have a low failure rate, and have the possibility of any traits just like the game provides. This could alternately be split into two flavors, if you'd like to call it that. I'd probably use my first suggestion because I like that tinge of realism.

I will have to say I do love the idea of a sperm bank and this IVF thing you're discussing. However, on the other end, sometimes my sims get pregnant when I don't want them to. There was a mod to terminate pregnancies made a while back and last I saw, it was only compatible up to Ambitions. If you included this form of getting sims pregnant, would/could you include a means to terminate pregnancies as well? I really dislike having to suffer through a few days of neglecting a newborn for CPS to come scoop it up, to leave my sims with a negative moodlet for a few days. I'd rather take them to the hospital (or potentially another location/rabbit hole similar to the sperm bank), pay a large fee to terminate the pregnancy (like the opposite of the IVF treatments), and accept a much shorter duration negative moodlet for the parents. Maybe a much longer negative moodlet for the womb bearer due to physical ailments from the rapid change.

I figure having both ends of the spectrum would be good. If you're going to provide a means to get sims pregnant, I feel providing a means to remove that altered state is balancing. I know I wouldn't be the only person to want such a feature to assist in their breeding programs.

On another thought, how hard would it be to make an adoption agency that *takes* kids away from you for a fee? I'd rather pay someone to take newborns away versus neglect-CPS method. Would something like an orphanage be possible?? I'd really love to see something in that vein.
Instructor
#38 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:52 PM
This is a really excellent project, and all the work that you have done already would probably have a ton of DLs. Would it be possible to make a clone with the DNA? That is, a baby with a single parent's DNA. Code for something like this is in the Generations ep. The only problem is the clone would become a child, not an exact clone.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#39 Old 30th May 2011 at 9:13 PM
van Dorn, please check posting dates before you respond to old threads. There's no value whatsoever in providing feedback on projects which are clearly either abandoned or on hold, and doing so pushes the threads of creators who still need feedback down the forum and out of sight.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#40 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 9:48 AM
Now that this thread is up again, I'm gonna to attach the source code I have so far if anybody want to play with it or finish it. As you may have noticed i don't have the time for it currently.

Feel free to do anything with it, just credit me.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TestTubeBabies.zip (5.1 KB, 125 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#41 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 2:38 PM
I hope some one else (Buzzler?) is interested in taking over this idea, as I think it's a really interesting one and one that provides a lot more control over having kids in the game. For single parents, especially!

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Locked thread
Page 2 of 2