Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 10:40 AM
It's completely buggy here.

I made my first renovation while the client was at work. After I'm ready with the renovation she comes from work to rate my work, she looks at the things I build, but instead of completing the job, she just goes to work again without futher notice.

And then after I had made 3 renovations, and I wanted to save and the game CTD while saving. Thanks, EA.
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 11:17 AM
Well, this applies to any profession. For those of us who can't help but cheat, using testingcheatsenabled allows you to slide the experience bar just like you can the motives. I'm trying very hard -not- to do that.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Test Subject
#53 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
You can repurpose an existing room, or you can use build tools to add a new room on. Basically, though, as far as I can tell, the game doesn't know (for the purposes of this job) what's a room and what isn't and what's in the same room as what, heh. So you can put the new objects anywhere you want.

That kind of annoys me really, why call it "architect" as opposed to "interior designer" if any of the build mode stuff you use doesn't count?

I've only gotten one outstanding review so far, but I'm still having alot of fun with the career. I haven't tried any of the others but that just means this EP will have longevity.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
And then after I had made 3 renovations, and I wanted to save and the game CTD while saving. Thanks, EA.

Same thing happened to me after 5 renovations =/ Also, my painting skill was almost maxed... *sigh*... Don`t forget to save ppl!

There used to be a tree, Where we took our pretty things, We'd hook them by a thread, Golden egg lipstick and feathers, And watch the light shine through, I'm afraid to forget you, I am remembering you, You were sparkling - My brightest diamond
Eminence Grise
#55 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MangaPunkSai
That kind of annoys me really, why call it "architect" as opposed to "interior designer" if any of the build mode stuff you use doesn't count?

Some of it counts. Some sims like lots of windows and others don't. No sim likes uncovered walls and floors.

There's just some kinds of data the game can easily interpret, and others it can't. It's never gonna have an aesthetic sense though While you could in theory use a training algorithm to make a computer "learn" what kinds of layouts appeal to human raters and then apply that algorithm in the game, that level of AI is a lil beyond what we see in the Sims
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 8:36 PM
Has anyone been able to tell if knowing what their favorite color is (and using it) affects the outcome?
Scholar
#57 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 8:55 PM
I found a use for salvaged items (other than blowing them up), you can use them as free furniture in renovations. I've done it a few times and it doesn't seem to affect the outcome.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Test Subject
#58 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 9:48 PM
Some of it counts. Some sims like lots of windows and others don't. No sim likes uncovered walls and floors.

There's just some kinds of data the game can easily interpret, and others it can't. It's never gonna have an aesthetic sense though While you could in theory use a training algorithm to make a computer "learn" what kinds of layouts appeal to human raters and then apply that algorithm in the game, that level of AI is a lil beyond what we see in the Sims

Well I more meant it would be nice if it could recognize when I've built a completely new room.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#59 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 10:35 PM
jonha, your list is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

I've gotten a lot better at this profession since I began it although "a lot better" simply means I'm not getting terrible scores anymore I have yet to receive a great review but with the help of jonha's list I probably will be able to! I'm building a stockpile of paintings to begin adding to my client's rooms.
Forum Resident
#60 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 11:59 PM
I actually managed to get a great review. One of the little old ladies hired me to redo one of the bedrooms in her house. I took it just to get money and just used the eyedropper tool on everything in the room. The only difference between when I was finished from when I started was I added some flowers. Funny, the room I hardly do a thing to gets a great review, the ones that I spend a while redoing everything in gets half-hearted reviews.
Test Subject
#61 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 12:18 AM
I think alot of negative scores have to do with deleting furniture. Eventually you can delete some without penalty later in the profession but mostly Sims don't like it. So either work with whats there or replace it with a better version.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#62 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 12:54 AM
I have to say I'm really glad I'm not the only one having trouble with this. At first I was worried I was totally missing something obvious.. I'm glad it's harder than it seems it should be. There are some rooms I've made that Sims have hated that I would totally love to have in real life. Crazy picky Sims!
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 4:23 AM
Can someone please help me out??

I just started the architect career and all ive been doing is drafting. Where do i get jobs to renovate houses??
Eminence Grise
#64 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 4:53 AM
Go to map view and look for big yellow flaming tags. Or click the jobs button on your career tab (has a briefcase icon I think).

You'll only get jobs during working hours, 8-6 M-F IIRC.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 4:55 AM
Oh i looked at the briefcase thing but it always says that there are no jobs available
Test Subject
#66 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 5:21 AM
I had my architect Sim travel and after that no jobs automatically appeared, I had to manually go around showing potential customers his portfolio. I thought it's either a glitch with WA or there's no more gimmes later in the career.
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 7:40 AM
Thanks for the list johna. Very useful

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Test Subject
#68 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:10 AM
Default Portfolio issues
Is anyone having issues with not being able to take a photo after a renovation is completed? The first several jobs I did I had no issues, now I've done several (at least a dozen) in a row with no photos. At first I just thought I was doing crummy renos--but most people are giving me good reviews and I'm making good money. I'm at Level 8 with only a 40% complete portfolio because it's been forever since I took a picture!
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:11 AM
Clicking on the floor in the lot you're renovating and choosing "begin renovation" walks you and the homeowner off the lot, and then puts you in "renovation mode" (identical to build/buy except it's on somebody else's lot).

You can click the "live" button any time, btw, to pause the renovation without turning it in... for instance, if you want to chat with the owner some more, or go home and make a sculpture to put in Clicking on the lot again will give you the option to resume renovating. Your renovation won't be handed in till you click the "renovation complete" (or whatever it's called) button while in renovation mode.

This is not working for me. I entered live mode to chat with the owner and now can't get back into renovation mode at all. Clicking on the lot doesn't work, and both the map tag for the job and the "renovation complete" button disappeared.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#70 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:21 AM
kateschneider, it's not always working for me either. I would say the option to photograph only shows up about half of the time. I'm level 9 with a 25% complete portfolio and no "Great" reviews.

missmudkip, that has happened to me a couple of times as well. One time, though, the person seemed to have left for work... maybe that interrupts your renovation? Another time the Sim died on me.. literally, I was talking to him.. lol
Scholar
#71 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karasu20
Oh i looked at the briefcase thing but it always says that there are no jobs available

Just wait a day, when you start in an existing neighborhood (not twinbrook) the game may need a while to generate these jobs.
Test Subject
#72 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 9:24 AM
missmudkip - It could be the time of day. I had the same thing with my sim and it turned out she was outside of her working hours and no longer "on the clock". I just waited until the next day and went back.
Scholar
#73 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 11:43 AM
I've been having some trouble with this career too - after I've 'turned the renovation in' and the client goes to check out what I've done, my Sim follows them into the house to watch. Problem is, I can't follow. The walls and roof remain up and won't come down; I have tried clicking on 'no-walls', and being on the lowest level etc... and it still stays that way. Annoying as hell - my Sim is stuck in there, conversing with whoever and I can't see to stop things from happening etc... Anyone else had this problem? If so, any solutions?? It really lowers the pleasure of playing this particular profession for me...

...Titanium white...
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heavenzdvl987
Another time the Sim died on me.. literally, I was talking to him.. lol

HA.

Eh. It was weird. The homeowner sim was still on the lot and everything. But my sim went off the clock and the next day the job was still gone. I've gone into Live mode on renos since and had no problems getting back into Reno mode.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#75 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
I've been having some trouble with this career too - after I've 'turned the renovation in' and the client goes to check out what I've done, my Sim follows them into the house to watch. Problem is, I can't follow. The walls and roof remain up and won't come down; I have tried clicking on 'no-walls', and being on the lowest level etc... and it still stays that way. Annoying as hell - my Sim is stuck in there, conversing with whoever and I can't see to stop things from happening etc... Anyone else had this problem? If so, any solutions?? It really lowers the pleasure of playing this particular profession for me...

That definitely seems like a bug. That's not happening for me.. sorry!
Page 3 of 8