Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

MilkShape Plugin : Cat's UV Flip (horizontal, vertical)

by CatOfEvilGenius Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 8:55 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:50 PM by Nysha

26 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 14 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 11:45 AM
Yes!!! Oh God Yes!!!

Can you make a plug-in that restores hours of my life?

Simmed out and lazy,

Sorry
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 1:25 PM
Cat, that's one of the most useful plugins I've seen for Milkshape in a long time! Good job! I'm sure many will appreciate your work.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 6:41 PM
That didn't take very long! Thank you so much! Now I can get going on that project that had completely stalled thanks to Maxis and its makes-no-sense UV mapping.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 7:59 PM
Thank you so much, this is priceless!!! These hateful things always remap the wrong side up and take forever to flip. So, technically, this plug-in does restore hours of my life that were going to be lost. =D
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 3:12 PM Last edited by nixnivis : 30th Jun 2010 at 3:54 PM.
I think I love you. No more wasting hours and hours trying to flip UV maps that don't make sense (and going madder in the process! Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
Forum Resident
#7 Old 3rd May 2011 at 2:31 PM
Thanks very much for this much needed tool . I like your stuff. keep up the good work.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#8 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 9:35 AM
Thanks very much indeed. All we are needing is just the right plug-in to make our ideas possible. Everything is priceless. Good work!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#9 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 7:28 PM
This is incredibly useful Thanks so much.
The Pathfinder
retired moderator THANKS POST
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 8:51 AM
I'm having small problem with "Cat's UV Flip Horizontal". I can easily flip it in vertical ,but somehow is does not work with horizontal for me(I have downloaded your mirror plugin too).
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:07 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lidiqnata
I'm having small problem with "Cat's UV Flip Horizontal". I can easily flip it in vertical ,but somehow is does not work with horizontal for me(I have downloaded your mirror plugin too).

Thanks for downloading.

They both work for me. When you say it does not work, do you mean it does nothing? Or do you mean it does something other than what you expected? When flipping, you want to select either an entire mesh, or a part of a mesh whose UV mapping is not connected to any other part in UV space. It doesn't matter how it is connected in XYZ space. If you UV flip part of a UV map that is connected in UV space, you will end up with twisted UV mapping. That is not a bug. If that did not help, and you attach a picture, I'll see what I can do.

good example (click to enlarge)

bad example (click to enlarge)

Screenshots

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:30 AM
When i select a whole mesh(a leg for instance), I duplicate it and then use flip vertical-it works fine(the mesh shows on the right side and it's assigned right).But the UV map does not change at all when i do the same and use flip horizontal. I tried selecting some vertices and use the flip horizontal(the uv map shows right),but not when i select a whole mesh.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:36 AM
When i select a whole mesh(a leg for instance), I duplicate it and then use flip vertical-it works fine(the mesh shows on the right side and it's assigned right).But the UV map does not change at all when i do the same and use flip horizontal. I tried selecting some vertices and use the flip horizontal(the uv map shows right),but not when i select a whole mesh.

Can you attach of a picture of the UV map? Do not laugh, but is your UV map symmetrical horizontally? Leg maps often are. It flips around its own middle, so a horizontal flip of legs might look like nothing changed, if you only look at the map. What happens if you go to the main MilkShape window, and zoom in, or zoom out, or just move the camera a bit? Does the texture mapping on the mesh change, or not? If you did a flip, and your texture is NOT symmetrical, your textured mesh should look different after the flip. Sometimes, the window does not update, so you have to move the camera to make it redraw.

If that doesn't help, just let me know.

The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#14 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Can you attach of a picture of the UV map? Do not laugh, but is your UV map symmetrical horizontally? Leg maps often are. It flips around its own middle, so a horizontal flip of legs might look like nothing changed, if you only look at the map. What happens if you go to the main MilkShape window, and zoom in, or zoom out, or just move the camera a bit? Does the texture mapping on the mesh change, or not? If you did a flip, and your texture is NOT symmetrical, your textured mesh should look different after the flip. Sometimes, the window does not update, so you have to move the camera to make it redraw.

If that doesn't help, just let me know.

OOOOOOh..... how siilllly of me I did it and you're right i just had to move the mapped part on the right place(it stayed on the same place becauase of the flip). Thank you ,sorry for troubling you so much
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:57 AM
OOOOOOh..... how siilllly of me I did it and you're right i just had to move the mapped part on the right place(it stayed on the same place becauase of the flip). Thank you ,sorry for troubling you so much

It is no trouble, do not worry. I am glad we figured it out.
Screenshots

Forum Resident
#16 Old 18th May 2012 at 5:36 AM
I think this is very usefull since I'm trying to make a symmetrical body parts with you mesh mirror. Thank you very much for sharing your hard work, You're an amazing cat. keep up the good work.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 20th May 2012 at 12:40 AM Last edited by telefen : 20th May 2012 at 4:24 AM. Reason: more info
I have a problem similar to lidiqnata and I figured it out by flipping the left side of body first & then opened another milkshake to compare. Then I selected the flipped part which had placed itself on the right side uv to move it manually exactly to mid line. I guess if i had read this previuos post i could have just moved the mesh like you said to updade. One note though, if i select the whole uv map on the duplicate and flip uv, then the breast area ends up on the left side & vise versa so, that doesn't work and one has to select one part at a time. Am I right or what do you say. As whole this is a great invention of yours anyway & let me know if I'm doing something wrong as to why the breast area ends up on the left side when selecting the whole duplicate uv and flipping it. Thank you very much cat.

You know i think I did something wrong when I tried selecting the duplicate front by itself and manually moving the uv to the right place. later on I found out the uv points on the back were selected as well when I tried to adjust the front of the body. The reason I used that method is because when i select the whole thing including the arms, the breast part flips to where the back of the shouldres are and vise versa when I use flip uv's. just how did you make this work I think. Now I am about to ditch that mesh cause, I can't seem to get it to work. When I use just the front part of the duplicate, and flip that, the flipped mesh ends up right where the right front is and that's why I manually tried moving it to where it should be. I had to do the arms and the back of that duplicate in same manner and it looked good but I had to weld togetther the seams since there was a crack running right in the middle of the stomack.

Afterwards when I tried to make some adjustment to the uv, to my disappointment I found out whenever I chose a point in the uv, the adjacent& opposite point was selected as well. Another word when I tried adjusting the front, the back patterns were moving as well. Can you please explain what I'm doing wrong cause I really like what you've made and it's cool to be able to flip the mesh but, the uv part doesn't work for me yet. I tried like you mentioned by moving the mesh in 3d to update it but, nada. Nothing in the uv move and the duplicate uv after flipping the front part first was still resting on the right front half space. I would include a uv to show you what I mean but, I don't think MTs allows any kind of breast or genitals showing maybe not even when it's just a uv. I don't know.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#18 Old 7th Aug 2012 at 9:35 PM
Thanks so much for this!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#19 Old 21st Mar 2013 at 11:55 PM
I just had to thank you again for this. I don't know what Maxis was thinking sometimes. I was almost pulling my hair out, wondering why the backs of the legs (but not the fronts) were a mirror image of what they should have been on the UV map. Sometimes I think they didn't want us to be able to recolour anything...
Instructor
THANKS POST
#20 Old 12th May 2013 at 2:41 PM
This is wonderful, thank you. I was wondering how to fix something that seemed too tedious when I remembered seeing this item in the Vertex menu, and it was just what I needed.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 4:27 PM
I have been using this tool, now that I've figured it out, LOL! Wow, it is so easy when you know what you are doing! Forget Lithunwrap, this is the bomb! Thank you!!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator THANKS POST
#22 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 7:28 AM
Just got round to using this on an object I wanted to remap - worked perfectly. Thank you very much :D
Field Researcher
#23 Old 13th Dec 2013 at 4:29 AM
Cheese and rice this is awesome. No more saving, opening in LithUnwrap, doing the flip, moving the UV, exporting, reopening in MilkShape, tweaking the new map, and then fixing all the normals that Lith just killed. This little app has been around since WAY before I even knew what meshing was, and I just stumbled across it a couple of minutes ago while searching the web for a better way to do exactly this. This SERIOUSLY needs a sticky in the meshing forums!
One thing though -- it may help others if you specify which VERTEX menu we should look under for the controls. I thought I put the dll's in the wrong place because no VERTEX tab appeared in my Texture Coordinate Panel window. It's all good now though -- I'm flipping UV's all over the place just because I can!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 5:40 PM
This looks awesome but I can't seem to get it to work... I click Cat's UV Flip Horizontal and nothing happens.
Any ideas? Thanks
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#25 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrSuperSims
This looks awesome but I can't seem to get it to work... I click Cat's UV Flip Horizontal and nothing happens.
Any ideas? Thanks
Are you in UV editing mode and do you have vertices selected?

Page 1 of 2