Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 5:27 PM
Default Sims 3 custom food
(I was told I should post here so here I am ^^)

I noticed that there is a lack of custom food in the sims 3, other than the Cooking and Ingredient Overhaul by BlackCat007. It's nice(I have it in my game), but not quite what I was looking. I was trying to find a way to make custom food ala sims 2, but was having the hardest time getting anything to work.

It would be insanely hard to make a custom food item that can be learned from a recipe and made from a fridge(for now at least--the modding community is growing to what it used to be in sims 2), BUT I thought it would be easier to make a custom food that is bought through the buy catalog. How? With the birthday cake! The birthday cake is the only food item that can be bought directly from the buy catalog.

I was using S3OC and I found that there was a birthday cake file and a birthday slice file. In theory, a person would only need to re-mesh and retexture the cake(most likely through a sim2 to sim3 conversion) and remove or block the birthday option, leaving only the "take a slice" option. Custom sims 3 food!

Of course, pigs dont fly, it doesn't smell like tropical rain every time someone farts, and it did not go as easily as I planned. Sims 2 food operates differently than sims 3 food(I think most foods in sims 2 were cloned from that cookie plate). Sims 2 food has "pieces" that are taken from the main food while the sims 3 birthday cake does this type of interaction somewhere else.

Is there anyone that has any knowledge on the birthday cake package and how it works or have any tips or suggestions on the whole process?

if that was too long I'm trying to make custom sims 3 food by using the birthday cake framework and looking for help
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 7:43 PM Last edited by Odistant : 15th Sep 2010 at 7:56 PM.
I'm browsing through the GameplayData.package file to see if it could be a XML file, and it seems so.

So far for doing a search of "Cake" I have found that the RecipeMasterList contains information on the Cake that you purchase, witch is called "Cake Slice".

Also, I have found the tuning file for it witch TGI's are: 0x0333406C 0x00000000 0xCC521D03A3CF0710

I'm pretty sure that the tuning file is what you want to be looking at.

I'm going to go ahead and give it a go and post my results. I'll probably change it to a cookie cake

Edit: I'm not sure if changing the CakeSlice product status will do anything or not, but when you clone it make sure it's 60 (it should already be set to that).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 12:53 AM
Thank you for responding!

I think I kind of get what you're saying. I found the RecipeMasterList xml and the cake xml. So if I understand correctly, we're making it so the "cake" draws the appropriate "cake slice"?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 11:30 PM
Correct. I have not been able to fully test this, but I was able to successfully overwrite the cake with my own mesh, but that does not mean much. Still having difficulty getting it to be by itself.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 4:33 AM
Awesome! At least that's one step closer.

Are you having trouble getting the new "cake" to appear in the game as a separate object? That part should be pretty easy, unless there is something that exclusively locks it to the original item. I found out a couple of days ago when I was trying to mesh that the birthdaycake and birthdaycakeslice have to be re-meshed. You probably already knew that I was trying to mesh a pie and got everything lined up and done, but had trouble applying the texture to the darn thing.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 7:28 PM Last edited by Odistant : 19th Sep 2010 at 3:28 PM.
For the texture, I found it a lot easier doing everything in TSR Workshop.

Looking at the cake file, their are about 9 different GeoMeshes. I think 3 of them are for the cake itself and the rest are for how many candles to show up.

I'll post up some more information on what I have found later. Just got Ambitions, HELS, and FLS.

Edit: In S3PE, you will need to edit the Material for the OBJK I think it is.

Edit 2: I just got Ambitions and the 2 stuff packs, and now my cake is no longer showing. I'll keep trying to crack the code on this. Hope it wont be as hard as TV Channels were
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 12:38 PM
Yeah...you lost me at GeoMeshes. That's as far as my knowledge of meshing goes. But I do think the game data for the birthday cake was changed in the Ambitions expansion pack so that might be why it's not showing up. You might have to re-extract the object again so it includes new coding. Or not, if you can get it working again without(basically)starting over.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 8:36 PM
What I'm going to be doing first, is starting by creating a whole new food item, witch will not be purchasable since I'm rage quiting the Cake for now until I better understand the coding on how that is done. What I think is that the cake is similar to the food items and the scripting used for it, so if I better understand how food is created, then I can (hopefully) make a purchasable version.

So basically:
1. I'm going to first be creating a whole new food item and call it something like Odistant's Pancakes, keeping the same of everything just to make sure the process I used was right.
2. Assign certain skill level that it is received, witch should be pretty easy. Most likely will be level 1 to test.
3. Come up with a recipe for it and food to use for it as well as make a recipe book. Will most likely have to take out learning it by default.
4. Maybe add in some interactions to the new Pancakes to test out scripting with the new food item.

First, I have to find the food items :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 9:58 AM
Sounds Rad! That's a big checklist. Well my project went wayside so if you need anything or any help, you can message me. I'm still going to try other options, but layoff the cake idea till later. Looks like you have it pretty much under control though haha.

Are u converting food from sims 2 for the pancake mesh or creating a brand new mesh for sims 3?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 7:22 PM
I'm not so much worried about the mesh right now. My main goal is to get it to work in-game.

Right now I'm having difficulties with the Recipe Master List, witch I believe is the reason why my new food won't show up on the Fridge.

Still got lots more of methods to test out, but so little time. I'll tell you when I can get a working version in-game.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Sep 2010 at 7:40 PM
Creating a new food item can be as easy as a recolor or more complicated then just creating a new mesh and changing the name in the food master list.

In the beginning i always start out easy and just clone to recolor, works fine, shows a new cake in the game with the new color as a full new object, meshing on the other hand seems to need a new stbl file for the interaction name or you will have an overwritten file but i could be wrong?, it also seems but i cannot tell if the guids need to be manually changed to work correctly? you may want to try these corrections for a new mesh.

Home of most of my creations.

Custom Sims 3

http://www.sapphiresims2.com/
Field Researcher
#12 Old 23rd Sep 2010 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fire~
Creating a new food item can be as easy as a recolor or more complicated then just creating a new mesh and changing the name in the food master list.

In the beginning i always start out easy and just clone to recolor, works fine, shows a new cake in the game with the new color as a full new object, meshing on the other hand seems to need a new stbl file for the interaction name or you will have an overwritten file but i could be wrong?, it also seems but i cannot tell if the guids need to be manually changed to work correctly? you may want to try these corrections for a new mesh.

Yes, the hashes need to be changed for it to work properly. A STBL is simply language and stuff like that (text). I have tried to get the pancakes into the game, but I'm still coming across errors. Spending about an hour a day getting it to work with no luck.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 5:59 AM
any updates so far?...
Scholar
#14 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 3:43 AM
Yes I was wondering if you or anyone else successfully made custom foods yet? I hope no one gave up on this
Test Subject
#15 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 11:12 PM
any updates/
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Aug 2011 at 4:32 AM
This is one thing that I keep hoping that someone makes. Cause I LOVED Sims 2 custom foods that people made. I loved the variety. But Sims 3, you don't see any custom foods.

And I do understand that it is a long and painful process. But I just want all the artists to know that you do have people rooting for you!

~Don't let the voices tell you what to do.~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 8:46 AM
So I decided to take a crack at it again and it seems that I have only gotten as far as Odistant. I decided to clone the cookies recipe and turn it into white chocolate chip cookies. Even though I added a new recipe to the Recipe Master List, I cant seem to get it to show up in fridge menu. That's on top of other problems, like having a new recipe that uses a mesh from within game, but have it reference to new textures when using the new recipe. I haven't had any horrible errors, just the problem of the recipe not showing up in the fridge. At the moment, all I have is a default replacement of the original meal. I'm trying to make it its own self reliant recipe. Can anyone lend a helping hand on the issue? It's been a full year so I know there has to be new info out there.

Here are some pics of what I have so far:

This is what happens when my test sim makes cookies. Everything looks great, but the only problem is that this recipe needs be on its own and not a texture default replacement.
Test Subject
#18 Old 2nd Sep 2011 at 6:15 PM
It's not bad, in fact it's a good start
Test Subject
#19 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 10:58 PM
I can't really contribute at all except that it would be so awesome to have this hacked! I miss being able to roast goombas for dinner Has contacting Maxis/EA been helpful to anybody before?
Test Subject
#20 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 11:28 PM
I just had some sort of glimpse, The Recipe might be conected to the master recipe list, but is it somehow conected with the cooking skill?
Eminence Grise
#21 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JepMZ
I can't really contribute at all except that it would be so awesome to have this hacked! I miss being able to roast goombas for dinner Has contacting Maxis/EA been helpful to anybody before?

Lol. No.

Well, ok, they have been known to secretly "leak" information to the modding community... if they hadn't, there would likely be no mods. But that tends to be very high level stuff, and they don't answer questions afaik.
Test Subject
#22 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 2:29 PM
Default Great effort with the cookies! Keep at it
Just wanted to lend encouragement, I really really miss custom foods and I'm gonna root for anyone who tries to bring it back.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 4:28 PM
This is amazing!
If you do figure this out, are you willing to make a tutorial to help others make custom food as well?

I know BlackCat007 is wanting to make the Late Night food into recipes with her food overhaul mod here: http://www.modthesims.info/d/353351. I don't know how far she got on this, or if she will be able to help you.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 17th Dec 2011 at 2:11 AM
Hello everyone! Someone was helping me figure out how to create a separate entry in the fridge but it just wasn't working for some reason. That's about as far as I got before I took a break from the headache-educing project. The only thing I think I know how to do for sure after all this is create default replacements. If that is any use to anybody, I can try to gather the info
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 10:28 PM
has anyone tried making granola for sim consumption?
Page 1 of 2