Replies: 408 (Who?), Viewed: 81545 times.
Page 1 of 17
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 6:42 PM Last edited by Sweettina513 : 9th Oct 2010 at 1:48 AM.
Default Big Gifters Banned on EA Forum! No Reason Given.
Two of the biggest gifters on The Sims 3 Gifting Forum were banned yesterday for no reason at all. Both of them are trying to figure out what happened and were told that the reason they were banned couldn't be disclosed to them. Another response to another simmer was that they were banned for abusing simpoint gifting.

All they have done is spend thousands of dollars on simpoints to gift their fellow simmers. They haven't said or done anything wrong on the forums.

Customer support is clearly not supporting their customers.

Please come and support the cause! Visit the gift gathering forum on TheSims3.com and sign the petition to bring them back and please go to the page on FB to support the cause as well. Just search: Boycott EA Games and Bring Back Kerby & Alex

If these people could be banned for no reason (lose all of their points, items, uploads, etc.), who knows when it could happen to any of us too. Even if you're not an active member on the site and don't use the sim store, help support your fellow simmers.

Thanks!


EDIT: First off, Alex and proof of all of the simcards she's bought, which can only be activated at the register.

The most important matter at hand here is the fact that EA can ban people and block them from accessing any downloads they have already bought and paid for. That's right. EA takes the money, blocks people for various reasons (valid or not), and doesn't refund people, nor let them access their purchases. This is robbery.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 6:56 PM
If I was the staff at the EA site I would be very suspicious of anyone who spent "thousands of dollars" on Simpoints. In fact I am not EA staff and I am very suspicious of anyone who has spent thousands of dollars on Simpoints...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#3 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 7:39 PM
Can you say "Money Laundering?" I knew you could.

Maybe I should quit giving my Sims mobster jobs. They're accessing the EA and giving away money.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 7:41 PM
EA is currently saying they made a mistake on one of the gifters and is trying to fix the problem. There is no laundering going on here. They both paid for their points and their simcards (which they have to pay for in order for them to activate).
Theorist
#5 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 7:48 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 8th Oct 2010 at 8:24 PM.
Oh, the humanity! Yet for some reason I'm not moved to act.

ETA:
"Just search: Boycott EA Games and Bring Back Kerby & Alex"

But I was moved to search like Tina suggested and boy I'm glad I did--there's some good stuff. Like this gem:

Quote:
10/08/10 12:23 PM
Subject: Re:JOIN THE FB PAGE! -- Boycott EA Games and Bring Back Kerby & Alex

tj19941994:
EA how dare you do this? I honestly cannot believe you would do something like this? Even more than it being cruel, its just heartless. I urge everyone who has ever been gifted by either of these great people to boycott the store untill they are brought back! EA we may be mindless consumer zombies, but we will not stand when you take TWO of our own!!!!

I AM WRITING IN CAPS! TAKE THAT EA!!!
Forum Resident
#6 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:05 PM
Are those people like billionaires or something?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:11 PM
Pretty much, yeah. They were just trying to be nice to their fellow simmers. Now EA has deleted all posts relating to the incident, taking away our right to free speech which is a far bigger problem. Besides this, EA has just had a problem in general with listening to customer complaints and respecting their customers.
Instructor
#8 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:18 PM
what i want to know is who spends thousands of dollars like that?!

Bustin' Out!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:19 PM
Good people who literally wanted to just brighten people's days (that couldn't afford items) with gifts.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:26 PM
I don't feel moved to act also. I am suspicious of such acts of kindness, especially when the gifting is not singular items, but whole sets and worlds, which is very expensive. Unless they are rich or well-to-do, I couldn't imagine buying simpoints like that in this economic environment.

I wonder what could be simpoints gifting abuse? Are the points being purchased criminally? Could that person be on EA's radar?

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#11 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoCat
Can you say "Money Laundering?" I knew you could.
Doesn't money laundering kind of work "dirty money in - clean money out"? Isn't "dirty money in - simpoints out" DOING IT WRONG?

More than fishy or anything else, spending thousands of dollars on simpoints sounds incredibly stupid to me. I can't bring myself to care about stupid.

PS: "DOING IT WRONG" must always be written in caps. There's some law or something.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:44 PM
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

It seems a company would not ban a valued customer unless there was some kind of foul play involved.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:46 PM
SHIT. CAPS, YOU GUYS, CAPS. HE'S A CAP TERRORIST.



HE IS WRITING IN CAPS. TAKE THAT, EA.

Don't particularly care too much about the issue at hand but... I guess it sucks that EA's censoring everyone. Are they known for doing that?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzler
Doesn't money laundering kind of work "dirty money in - clean money out"? Isn't "dirty money in - simpoints out" DOING IT WRONG?


Maybe they're aiming for good Karma or something.
Wonder if Kerby & Alex would be willing to buy other things for simmers besides simp-points and store stuffs.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#15 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocobaura
Wonder if Kerby & Alex would be willing to buy other things for simmers besides simp-points and store stuffs.
If they'd pay for upgrading my computer, I would totally begin to care lots about them being banned.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Mad Poster
#16 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:01 PM
So, they've bought store content, shared it, got found out and are now banned from the forums? Not really that much of a shocker, is it?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_flel
So, they've bought store content, shared it, got found out and are now banned from the forums? Not really that much of a shocker, is it?


They didn't share it. They gifted it, which makes the whole situation silly. You don't ban a customer with money, no one does that.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:08 PM
Yeah, I don't know why EA would ban customers for spending money unless there was foul play involved. But... it's not helping EA's case that they're keeping their mouths shut about the whole situation.

Although looking at some of the posts on the Sims 3 forum, one can't help but wish that Kerby and Alex had paid for people's grammar lessons instead...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocobaura
They didn't share it. They gifted it, which makes the whole situation silly. You don't ban a customer with money, no one does that.
Oh I see. I thought they were buying the stuff and then sending it to people. It's bizarre that they've been banned for that but the whole situation sounds a bit weird.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:24 PM
Crocobaura, I clicked disagree on your post, cos EA do!! :P

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#21 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:29 PM
Yeah, they have to be doing something wrong. I mean, seriously, E.A. is all about the money. I doubt they would just shut off that kind of cash supply because it was being spent on gifts.

The most obvious conclusion is that somehow these people are illegally obtaining massive amounts of simpoints for free. They gift people stuff, because they have nothing better to do with it anymore. E.A. catches on. They ban people. The fact they aren't disclosing the information makes good sense. If they were hacking, obviously E.A. doesn't want other people getting in on it.

The fact that I didn't know about these people before they got banned is unfortunate. I would have liked free stuff. But I don't think E.A. banning them is ridiculous. What they did was extremely suspicious. Even if they weren't doing anything wrong and are just wealthy and generous people, E.A. has the right to shut them down until they figure it out.




Forum Resident
#22 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:46 PM
Lol, it was a joke of course, money laundering virtual game stuff can't work... Unless you are a Sim in the mobster career. I wonder if I paused my game before I left the house...

Giving stuff away can also be a mental illness or a sign of insecurity. The person feels they have to "buy" other peoples love or no one will like them.

Then there are the people who give lots of gifts with the expectation that they can call in a favor, no matter what, when or how. These people are scary because they think they own you.

I know we like to think gift-giving is saintly, but we are humans and there is a darker side to this. Perhaps EA found that out this morning.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:46 PM
My guess—some of the gift receivers were children and EA doesn't want some random adult giving tons of gifts to kids on their site. Maybe a parent complained and EA freaked out.

Personally, I'm sure that the gifters are probably just good Samaritans practicing random acts of kindness, but I can't blame EA being suspicious. It's horrible that they're deleting post about it though.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinimon162
what i want to know is who spends thousands of dollars like that?!


Well, two days ago one guy alone won 66 millions dollars on a lottery down here in Brazil. On the bank, it will give him more than 400 thousand each month for now on... I tell you, if it was me, I´d be spending some of it in some odd stuff such as simpoints...
Mad Poster
#25 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aUserName
My guess—some of the gift receivers were children and EA doesn't want some random adult giving tons of gifts to kids on their site. Maybe a parent complained and EA freaked out.

Personally, I'm sure that the gifters are probably just good Samaritans practicing random acts of kindness, but I can't blame EA being suspicious. It's horrible that they're deleting post about it though.


It could also be that Kirby and Alex are in fact 10 year olds with free access to mommy's credit card and they were banned at mommy's request so they can do no more damage.
Page 1 of 17
Back to top